Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Thursday 12th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
FORD SELLS SHARES IN EV MAKER RIVIAN FOR $214 MILLION BY REUTERS
– Ford Motor Co sold eight million shares of electric-car maker Rivian Automotive Inc for $214 million, or $26.80 apiece, the U.S. automaker said in a filing on Tuesday.
– Ford now holds nearly 94 million shares, or a 10.5% stake, and is still the fourth-largest shareholder in the Irvine, California-based company, according to Refinitiv data.
– Rivian shares have dropped nearly 21% since CNBC reported the sale over the weekend.
Original Source : https://www.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/ford-sells-shares-in-ev-maker-rivian-for-214-million-2822124
RIVIAN HAS 90,000 RESERVATIONS BUT CAN ONLY MAKE 25,000 THIS YEAR
– Rivian Automotive on Wednesday maintained its 2022 production target, saying it’s still on track to build 25,000 vehicles this year, as it reported a jump in reservations and a first-quarter loss that was slightly narrower than Wall Street had expected.
– Net loss: $1.59 billion.
– Vehicle reservations: Over 90,000.
– Rivian said it now has over 90,000 reservations for its R1-series truck and SUV, up from 83,000 as of its last update in March. That total includes about 10,000 new reservations made since it raised prices at the beginning of March, it said, at an average purchase price of over $93,000.
– The 25,000 target is half the full-year number that Rivian laid out in its roadshow presentation to investors ahead of its IPO last November.
– The company had $17 billion in cash remaining as of March 31, according to its first-quarter release. It said that will be enough to cover its spending through the launch of its next model, a lower-cost vehicle called R2, at a planned new factory in Georgia in 2025.
Original Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/11/rivian-rivn-q1-2022-earnings.html
– The company said it delivered 1,227 vehicles to customers during the past three months, bringing its total number of deliveries to 2,148.
– The company says that as of May 9th, it has produced approximately 5,000 vehicles, including its electric truck, SUV, and delivery van for Amazon.
– In the first quarter, Rivian produced 2,553 vehicles, but only delivered 1,227 of those vehicles to customers. Asked about this gap, McDonough said it was the result of being a direct-to-consumer company without a traditional dealer network to serve as distribution hubs.
Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/11/23067212/rivian-earnings-q1-2022-electric-truck-deliveries-stock
FORD F-150 LIGHTNING FIRST DRIVE REVIEW
– The Ford F-150 is the backbone of the Ford Motor Company. It’s been the number one selling vehicle in North America for the past 40 years, and the number one selling truck for 45 years straight. Therefore, the F-150 Lightning had some big shoes to fill, as expectations were very high.
– We’re happy to report that after spending the better part of two days driving various versions of the Lightning on and off-road, pulling trailers, hauling cargo, using Ford Pro Power to recharge a Mustang Mach-E, and learning more about Ford Intelligent Backup Power, we believe the F-150 Lightning is the best overall F-150 ever produced. The biggest problem Ford may have to face is building enough of them.
– All versions of the Lightning feature dual-motors and all-wheel-drive, and the Extended Range battery versions boast 580 horsepower and 775 pound-feet of torque.
– Quite honestly, it’s faster than any 6,500-pound pickup truck really ever needs to be.
– The maximum cargo capacity is 2,235 lbs (for Pro & XLT trims with the standard battery) and vehicles with the $825 towing package, are capable of towing 10,000 lbs (XLT & Lariat with the extended range battery).
– The regenerative braking is strong even in the default mode.
– The Lightning has a blended braking system that also adds more regeneration when the friction brake pedal is depressed.
– Ford uses a 400-volt battery system that utilizes pouch-style cells that are produced through a joint venture with SK Innovation. The standard range battery pack has a usable capacity of 98 kilowatt hours, while the extended range pack boosts that to 131 kWh.
– Extended Range Pro, XLT, and Lariat: 320 miles
– all versions of the Lightning come standard with a locking rear differential that worked exceptionally well.
– The standard range battery can accept 11.3 kilowatts when charging from a 48-amp level 2 charging source. The extended range pack comes with dual 40-amp onboard chargers with a combined input of 19.2 kW.
– Customers who opt for the bigger battery pack will also get Ford’s Charge Station Pro, an 80-amp bi-directional charging station free with the vehicle.
– the Lightning has Ford’s Pro Power Onboard and the standard version has an output of 2.4 kW on the Pro and XLT trims. However, the output is bumped up to 9.6 kW for the Lariat and Platinum models (optional on the Pro & XLT) and that power is accessible from the eleven power outlets that are scattered inside and outside of the Lightning. Ten of the outlets are standard 120-volt and there’s a single 30-amp 240V outlet at the back of the bed. The 240V outlet can deliver up to 7 kW of power
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/reviews/585014/ford-f150lightning-first-drive-review/
VOLKSWAGEN GROUP TO LAUNCH ALL-ELECTRIC PICK-UP AND RUGGED SUV IN THE UNITED STATES
– Volkswagen Group will launch an all-electric pick-up and rugged SUV in the United States. The decision of the Board of Management was confirmed today by the Supervisory Board of the Volkswagen Group.
– The vehicles will be designed, engineered, and manufactured in the U.S. for American customers. To this end, a separate, independent company will be established in the U.S. this year as the Volkswagen Group moves the strong iconic U.S.-brand Scout into the electric vehicle space.
– prototypes are to be unveiled next year, and production is scheduled to start in 2026.
– Scout brand will be built upon a new technical platform concept which brings new pickup and RUV credibility beyond the existing Volkswagen Group portfolio.
– Herbert Diess, CEO Volkswagen AG: “After Volkswagen’s successful turnaround in the U.S., we are now taking the opportunity to further strengthen our position in one of the most significant growth markets for EVs. Electrification provides a historic opportunity to enter the highly attractive pick-up and R-SUV segment as a Group, underscoring our ambition to become a relevant player in the U.S. market.”
Original Source : https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/press-releases/volkswagen-group-to-launch-all-electric-pick-up-and-rugged-suv-in-the-united-states-7955
U.S. EV REGISTRATIONS SURGE 60% IN Q1
– U.S. EV registrations surge 60% in Q1, driven by Tesla, Ford, new Korean models
– EV registrations rose 60 percent in the first quarter to 158,689 and took a record 4.6 percent share of the light-vehicle total, according to financial data firm Experian.
– While total vehicle registrations fell 18 percent in the January-March period to 3.4 million on inventory constraints, a growing stable of electric models attracted early adopters in record numbers.
– Tesla Inc. had four models in the EV top 10, followed by the Hyundai-Kia corporate siblings with three vehicles combined. Ford, Nissan and Volkswagen rounded out the group.
– Tesla notched 113,882 new registrations
– Kia surged to second place with 8,450 registrations of its subcompact Niro EV and the newly launched EV6 compact crossover
– Ford brand came in third with 7,407 registrations for a 91 percent increase. Mustang Mach-E registrations rose 80 percent, and new truck models showed up for the first time: Experian noted 396 registrations of the E-Transit 350 commercial van and 54 of the new F-150 Lightning
– The Hyundai brand posted 6,964 registrations, up from 2,072 in the first quarter of 2021.
– Volkswagen had 2,926 registrations of its ID4
– The Bolt posted 479 registrations
– GMC Hummer pickup notched 80 registrations
– Registration data does not track sales data exactly, as vehicles can be sold in one month and registered in another, and some registration data relies on estimates
Original Source : https://www.autonews.com/sales/us-ev-registrations-surge-60-q1-driven-tesla-ford-new-korean-models
CALIFORNIA ZEV PROGRAM SURPASSES 250,000 POINT-OF-SALE INCENTIVES
– More than 250,000 Californians have now received a financial Clean Fuel Reward, worth more than $319 million in total, when they purchased or leased a plug-in electric vehicle – helping California’s zero-emission vehicle sales exceed 16 percent of all new vehicles sold this year. Electric vehicles are one of the state’s top exports, and California represents half of the United States’ ZEV market.
– The milestone announced today comes only 18 months after the California Air Resources Board’s California Clean Fuel Reward program began, providing an instant price reduction of up to $750 at the point of sale or lease for eligible new plug-in electric vehicles at participating retailers. Since the program launched in November 2020, more than $319 million in rewards have been received by electric vehicle buyers.
Original Source : https://www.gov.ca.gov/2022/05/10/as-statewide-zev-sales-exceed-16-percent-of-all-new-vehicles-california-zev-program-surpasses-250000-point-of-sale-incentives/
BMW I4 CAN BE EVEN MORE EFFICIENT THAN THE TESLA MODEL 3
– Tesla has long been the undisputed king of electric range in the industry. One of the reasons Teslas get such impressive range is their powertrain efficiency
– While Tesla has always been more efficient than everyone else, it seems as though the BMW i4 has caught up.
– During a recent test from German publication EFAHRER, the BMW i4 went head-to-head with the Tesla Model 3, in similar conditions, to see which was more efficient.
– The BMW i4 40 uses a single rear-mounted motor, making 250 kW (335 horsepower), which is fed electricity by an 84 kWh battery pack. While the Tesla also uses a single rear-mounted motor but it makes 239 kW (320 horsepower), and it gets a smaller 60 kWh battery. However, the Tesla is 300 kg (661 lbs) lighter.
– On the same freeway lap, at the same ambient temperatures, the BMW i4 40 managed 22 kWh per 100 km. The standard range Tesla Model 3 just edged out the i4, with 21.1 kWh per 100 km, but the Bimmer beat the long-range Model 3, which needed 23.1 kWh per 100 km.
Original Source : https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/05/10/bmw-i4-tesla-model-3/
TESLA SHIPS FIRST ELECTRIC CARS OVERSEAS SINCE LOCKDOWN
– Tesla’s Shanghai factory has sent its first shipment overseas since it resumed production on April 19 after a 22-day hiatus, as the US carmaker tries to make up lost ground against Chinese rivals who jumped ahead during lockdown.
– Some 4,767 electric cars built at the Gigafactory 3 left Yangshan Deep-Water Port on Wednesday, bound for the port of Koper in Slovenia, according to Jiefang Daily. The state-owned newspaper cited data from local customs authorities.
– The outbound shipment was sent after Tesla, the runaway leader in China’s premium electric vehicle (EV) segment, delivered just 1,512 units to mainland Chinese customers in April
– Giga Shanghai will send another shipment of 4,100 EVs abroad on Friday, Jiefang Daily cited customs officials as saying. The volume of exports is on the high side, suggesting Tesla may be attempting to compensate for the recent slump in domestic deliveries and production levels.
Original Source : https://www.scmp.com/business/china-business/article/3177473/tesla-ships-first-electric-cars-overseas-lockdown-halted
AUSTRALIAN TESLA MEGAPACK FIRE – REPORT
– Last July, a Tesla Megapack in the 300MW/450MWh Victoria Big Battery caught fire while it was being tested. The fire spread to another battery, resulting in two Megapacks in the installation being destroyed.
– The results of the investigation have now been made public. According to a technical report written by experts at Fisher Engineering and the Energy Safety Response Group (ESRG), the Victoria fire last July was caused by a liquid coolant leak, which caused arcing within the Megapack’s battery modules.
– he Megapack that started the fire had been manually disconnected from a number of monitoring, control, and data collection systems because it was undergoing testing at the time of the incident.
– Tesla, for its part, has implemented a number of procedural, firmware, and hardware mitigations to avoid similar incidents from happening in the future.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-megapack-victoria-fire-investigation-results/
RENAULT BOSS SAYS SWITCHING TOO SOON TO EVS COULD HURT THE ENVIRONMENT
– The European Commission wants to ban sales of all new cars fitted with diesel, gasoline, and hybrid engines by 2035 but according to many industry specialists this strategy is way too aggressive. Some – like Renault’s boss Luca de Meo – even say this move could actually have a negative impact on the environment and society.
– Speaking during the Financial Times’ Future of the Car summit, de Meo explained that switching too fast to fully electric personal mobility is probably not the answer to save the planet. This may sound a little confusing at a glance, but the French company’s top dog said that putting all your money on EV technologies would cut off investments in fossil-burning engines, which may become more polluting.
– BMW Group CEO Oliver Zipse is also not a fan of banning internal combustion engines soon. Last year, he declared that stopping all ICE sales too soon would hurt BMW and other German automakers and wouldn’t “help the climate or anyone else.”
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/585072/renault-boss-too-soon-all-evs/
HYUNDAI, MOTIONAL TO DEPLOY LEVEL 4 IONIQ 5 ROBOTAXIS IN US IN 2023
– Motional, formed in March 2020 as an autonomous driving joint venture between Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, will work in partnership with ride-hailing services to deploy the Level 4 autonomous vehicles starting in 2023.
– Hyundai and Motional plan to begin transporting public passengers in the IONIQ 5 robotaxi first in Las Vegas and then expanding to major cities in the US and globally
– The vehicle’s sensor suite is prominently displayed across the exterior, easily distinguishing the robotaxi from human-piloted vehicles. The robotaxi has more than 30 sensors—a combination of cameras, radars, and lidar—that provide robust 360-degree perception, high-resolution images, and ultra-long range detection of objects for safe autonomous operation in diverse driving environments.
– There are safety redundancies across every function, such as the navigation, steering, braking, and power, for a safe and smooth ride every time. Motional will also be able to provide Remote Vehicle Assistance (RVA) to the IONIQ 5 robotaxis should they encounter an unusual road scenario, such as road construction or flooding. In such an event, a remote Motional operator could instantly connect to the vehicle and direct it to a new path.
Original Source : https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220511-motional.html
ROUSH TO MANUFACTURE FOR BOLLINGER MOTORS
– US electric vehicle start-up Bollinger Motors announced Roush Industries as the contract manufacturer to assemble its line of all-electric platforms and chassis cabs for commercial vehicles in Classes 3 through 6.
– Bollinger will source and provide all materials for Roush to assemble its all-electric vehicle platforms and chassis cabs in a fully staffed, operational, and scalable facility in Livonia, Michigan. The location was selected due to its geographic location within 20 miles of Bollinger’s Oak Park headquarters.
– ollinger announced plans to focus on electric commercial vehicles, cancelling all previous orders for their earlier electric vehicle models B1 and B2.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/05/10/roush-to-manufacture-for-bollinger-motors/
STOREDOT COMPLETES LIVE DEMONSTRATION DELIVERING 100 MILES IN 5 MINUTES
– StoreDot, the pioneer of extreme fast charging (XFC) battery technology for electric vehicles, has successfully, publicly demonstrated its ability to charge a full-scale electric vehicle (EV) battery cell with the energy for 100 miles in just 5 minutes live on stage.
– The presentation took place at EcoMotion Week 2022 in Israel
– The demonstration featured a 300×100 mm pouch cell produced at EVE energy’s manufacturing plant in China. The battery was charged under a 10-minute time limit, during which the cell charged to 20Ah, exceeding the 0% to 80% capacity target set for the demonstration.
– The cell maintained a charge rate capable of adding 100 miles of range every 5 minutes of charging. At no point did the battery temperature exceed 33-degree Celsius
– Yaron Fein, VP R&D at StoreDot said “Today’s demonstration represents the successful passing of another milestone on StoreDot’s ambitious technology road map. Our intensive development program has already delivered batteries capable of exceeding 1200 consecutive extreme fast cycles and we aim to complete the scaling up of more than 1000 cycles in our EV-size cells by the end of this year.
Original Source : https://www.store-dot.com/press/storedot-completes-live-demonstration-showcasing-extreme-fast-charging-battery-technology-capable-of-delivering-100-miles-in-5-minutes
BUTTIGIEG TOUTS ELECTRIC VEHICLES SPENDING AS GAS PRICES SPIKE
– Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said it’s less expensive for cars to fill up on electricity than on gasoline as Republican lawmakers questioned the administration’s plans to spend money on a national electric vehicle charging network.
– House Republicans raised their concerns to President Joe Biden’s top transportation official that drivers in rural areas wouldn’t benefit from increased spending on electric vehicles. The administration is pressing for a goal of expanding access to EVs as gasoline prices reach record highs.
– “It is actually rural drivers who would benefit the most,” Buttigieg said at a House Appropriations panel hearing Tuesday. “The more they drive, typically the more of their income is going to gas, so the more money they are going to save if they can afford an electric vehicle, which allows them to fill up on electrons.”
– Rep. Ashley Hinson (R-Iowa) said
– “About a 10th of 1% of the registered vehicles in my district are electric vehicles,” Hinson said. “Iowans right now are not trading in their affordable vehicles, their reliable vehicles, their farm trucks for impractical, luxury, expensive electric vehicles that can’t go more than 200 miles without recharging.”
– Rep. Mike Garcia (R-Calif.). To charge a car at home using an outlet without enhancements to its electrical system can take as long as four days for a 300-mile range, Garcia said.
Original Source : https://about.bgov.com/news/buttigieg-touts-electric-vehicles-spending-as-gas-prices-spike/
SOLAR PANELS COULD BE ON ALL EUROPE’S PUBLIC BUILDINGS BY 2025
– The European Commission is hoping to jumpstart a large-scale rollout of solar energy and rebuild Europe’s solar manufacturing industry. The plan is part of its bid to wean countries off Russian fossil fuels, according to a draft document seen by Reuters.
– “Solar electricity and heat are key for phasing out EU’s dependence on Russian natural gas,” the Commission said in the draft, due to be published next week in a package of proposals to end the European Union’s reliance on Russian oil and gas.
– It would push countries to use EU funding and launch support programmes for rooftop panels, and install solar energy in all suitable public buildings by 2025.
– China supplied 75 per cent of EU solar panel imports in 2020.
Original Source : https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/05/11/solar-panels-could-be-on-all-europe-s-public-buildings-by-2025-in-phase-out-of-russian-fos
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What would you like to see improved in EV charge station design?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT