Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Wednesday 11th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
➤ BMW SEES 30% DROP IN BATTERY PRICES TO TAKE ON TESLA
– BMW AG will switch to the next generation of lower-cost batteries for its new electric-vehicle platform from 2025 as carmakers battle rising prices for raw materials.
– The change will deliver a 30% drop in costs, according to people familiar with the plans.
– The new round cells will be manufactured by BMW’s existing partners, the people said, declining to be named discussing internal deliberations.
– Last year, carmakers paid an average of $118 for each kilowatt hour of a pure electric vehicle battery pack, according to BloombergNEF
– The energy density of the new BMW cells will be higher than Tesla’s round cells by at least a low double-digit percentage, the people said, without giving further specifics.
Original Source : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-10/bmw-sees-30-drop-in-battery-prices-to-take-on-tesla
➤ STELLANTIS CEO CARLOS TAVARES WARNS ABOUT FUTURE ELECTRIC VEHICLE BATTERY SHORTAGE
– The CEO of Jeep maker Stellantis NV on Tuesday joined the chorus of voices in the auto industry warning about a future shortage of electric-vehicle batteries without more production in Europe and the United States, potentially risking the transatlantic automaker’s EV commitments.
– “We can anticipate that we will have around 2025, 2026, a short supply of batteries,” Carlos Tavares said remotely during the Financial Times’ Future of the Car summit. “And if there is no short supply of batteries, then there will be a significant dependence of the Western world vis-à-vis Asia.”
– As a part of its plans to invest $35.5 billion in electrification and software by 2025, Stellantis has announced battery plants in France, Germany and Italy to support European vehicle production and another in Windsor, Ontario, for North America. A second in the United States is expected to be announced in the coming weeks. It plans to have 400 gigawatt hours of total capacity on the two continents by 2030.
Original Source : https://eu.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/chrysler/2022/05/10/stellantis-ceo-carlos-tavares-electric-vehicle-battery-shortage-reliance-asia/9713645002
➤ EV MAKER LUCID TO LAUNCH LUXURY SEDANS IN EUROPE IN LATE 2022
– Lucid Group plans to launch luxury sedans in Europe later this year, as the Tesla rival aims to expand its footprint outside the United States amid strong global demand for electric vehicles.
– The company will launch its Lucid Air Dream Edition P and R sedans in limited numbers for customers in Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland and Norway in late 2022, it said in a statement on Tuesday.
– Lucid added it would price its Air Dream Edition P/R at about 218,000 euros ($230,208.00) in Germany.
– Lucid said on Tuesday it also plans to open its first European retail location in Munich on May 13, adding it aims to open additional studio and service center locations in Europe this year.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ev-maker-lucid-launch-luxury-sedans-europe-late-2022-2022-05-10/
➤ VOLKSWAGEN AERO B SPIED AS A SWOOPY TESLA MODEL 3 COMPETITOR
– Volkswagen’s electric vehicle push has already spawned a crossover and a van, but their latest offering is clearly aimed at the car crowd.
– Tentatively dubbed the Aero B, the model was previewed by the ID. Vizzion and ID. Vizzion Space concepts.
– The automaker hasn’t said much about the model but, in 2020, Volkswagen Passenger Cars CEO Ralf Brandstätter confirmed production would begin at their Emden plant in 2023. At the time, he described it as a “new, powerful electric model that will attract a lot of attention around the world.”
– Specifications remain a secret, but the ID. Vizzion Space concept featured an 82 kWh battery pack and a rear-mounted electric motor developing 275 hp (205 kW / 279 PS) and 406 lb-ft (550 Nm) of torque. This setup gave the model a range of up to 590 kilometers in the WLTP cycle and 300 miles in the EPA cycle.
Original Source : https://www.carscoops.com/2022/05/volkswagen-aero-b-spied-as-a-swoopy-tesla-model-3-competitor/
➤ GM FILES TO PATENT EV ASSISTED TOWING CONCEPT
– GM has filed a patent application for an electrically-assisted flatbed trailer that would offset the reduction in range when towing for battery-electric trucks.
– The system includes a powered trailer with at least one small electric propulsion unit, which “enhances launch of the BEV and provides an acceleration assist,” to the vehicle. A communication link between the trailer and vehicle would ensure the trailer’s electric-assist powertrain would work in unison with the vehicle to optimize range and performance. The trailer would have its own separate battery pack, so in theory, this design would offset some of the range reduction EV drivers experience when towing.
– The patent application also describes a dual-motor version of the trailer with opposing electric motors, which would be able to spin each of the trailer’s wheels at different speeds when turning, resulting in a tighter turning radius and greater maneuverability
Original Source : https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/05/gm-files-to-patent-ev-assisted-towing-concept/
➤ FREIGHTLINER UNVEILS NEW ELECTRIC ECASCADIA
– A fully battery electric eCascadia made its debut in 2018 as a proof of concept before swiftly being handed off to demonstration fleets with almost 50 trucking customers running real freight in the real world. To-date, Freightliner electric trucks have logged well over one million miles in day-to-day operations, pulling real loads and making real drops.
– Rakesh Aneja, vice president and chief of eMobility at Daimler Truck North America, said the rigorous testing and development cycle resulted in a production-ready model, which was unveiled Monday at the ACT Expo in Long Beach, California, featuring multiple battery and drive axle options and a typical range of 230 miles, depending on vehicle configuration.
– The Detroit ePowertrain offers three battery options for a range of sizes and average, zero-to-full charging times starting with 194 kWh (one and a half to three hours), 291 kWh (two to four hours), and 438 kWh (two to six hours). Regenerative braking helps maximize range and across the pilots, the average energy recuperation ratio was 20%-25%, with some drivers achieving even up to 30%.
Original Source : https://www.ccjdigital.com/alternative-power/article/15291805/freightliner-unveils-new-electric-ecascadia
➤ MADE-IN-GERMANY TESLA MODEL Y PROVES SURPRISINGLY FUN IN THE NURBURGRING
– YouTube channel Top Speed Brothers recently took a Model Y Performance to the Nurburgring to test how the all-electric crossover fares on the racetrack. Interestingly enough, the vehicle in the channel’s video was actually made in Gigafactory Berlin.
– while it did not showcase the face-splitting acceleration of the Model S Plaid when it set its record on the track last year, the Model Y Performance actually proved quite capable, hugging the curves of the Nurburgring fairly well.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-germany-nurburgring-fun-video/
➤ PANASONIC WEIGHS BUILDING NEW U.S. BATTERY PLANT FOR TESLA
– Panasonic Holdings is considering building a new battery plant in the U.S. to supply electric car maker Tesla, Nikkei has learned.
– Panasonic plans to produce a new type of high-capacity battery and aims to start operations as early as fiscal year 2024. Several candidate sites are being considered, including Oklahoma, which is close to Tesla’s new plant in Texas. Panasonic plans to operate the new plant independently.
– The decision on whether to build the plant will be based on the profitability of the new lithium-ion batteries that Panasonic will produce at its plant in Japan’s Wakayama Prefecture starting in fiscal year 2023.
Original Source : https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Panasonic-weighs-building-new-U.S.-battery-plant-for-Tesla
➤ SEE PLUG-IN ELECTRIC CAR ADOPTION MAP FOR ALL US STATES IN 2021
– The Department of Energy’s (DOE) Vehicle Technologies Office recently released interesting maps of the plug-in electric car share in the US in 2021 and the overall share out of the entire vehicle fleet on the roads (as of the end of the year). The presentation is based on car registration data sourced from Experian Automotive and analyzed by Argonne National Laboratory.
– We can see California, which in 2021 had a 12.5% share, and a few other areas above 7% (the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Washington, and Oregon), while in other areas it’s just a few percent or even less than 1%. The worst result was 0.62%.
– According to Veloz’s stats and the California Energy Commission, in Q1 2022, plug-ins exceeded 16% share in California, which indicates a positive trend.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/584760/plugin-electric-car-adoption-map-us-2021/
➤ WA STATE BUDGET TO INCLUDE $3,500 REBATES FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLES, BUT THERE’S A DOWNSIDE
– Electric and hybrid vehicle owners will be taxed per kilometre to use Western Australia’s roads from 2027 to help pay for road upgrades and maintenance.
– The new road-user charge is being introduced as a funding mechanism instead of the fuel tax, which electric vehicle drivers do not pay.
– “Unfortunately, we have to fund the roads, we have to put money into maintenance, and we have to have a funding source for that,” Premier Mark McGowan said.
– The tax has been set at 2.5 cents per kilometre for electric and hydrogen vehicles and 2 cents per kilometre for plug-in hybrid vehicles. The rate will rise with inflation.
– The McGowan Government’s state budget, to be handed down on Thursday, will include $60 million to accelerate the use of zero-emission vehicles. This includes $36.5 million for $3,500 rebates for the first 10,000 people who buy an electric vehicle with a price tag of less than $70,000.
– Distance-based road user charges for drivers of electric vehicles have also been introduced in Victoria, NSW and South Australia.
– After South Australia proposed the same road charge on electric vehicles, the Australia Institute described it as “a great big new tax on not polluting”.
– Noah Schultz-Byard, SA director at The Australia Institute, said it was “a backward and unnecessary step” especially given the fuel excise is levied by the Commonwealth and that it goes into general revenue, which is not specifically used for road funding.
Original Source : https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-10/electric-vehicle-tax-and-rebates-announced-by-wa-government/101051936
➤ FREEWIRE TECHNOLOGIES UNVEILS ITS MOST POWERFUL AND FLEXIBLE EV CHARGER YET
– FreeWire Technologies Inc. launched its newest ultrafast and flexible DC fast charging offering, the Boost Charger™ 200. The announcement occurred alongside industry leaders in clean tech transportation at this week’s Advanced Clean Transportation (ACT) Expo in Long Beach, CA — North America’s Largest Advanced Transportation Technology & Clean Fleet Event.
– FreeWire’s next-generation charger features the highest output power in a battery integrated charging station providing 200 miles of range in 15 minutes and reaching peak power levels of 200kW. In addition, the Boost Charger 200 has a 160 kWh battery capacity and only needs one-eighth of the input power required of conventional charging equipment, and can charge all electric vehicle (EV) models by providing up to 950-volt power.
Original Source : https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220510005153/en
➤ SHELL RECHARGE TITLE SPONSORSHIP OF BERLIN E-PRIX
– Shell Recharge today announces its title sponsorship of the 2022 Shell Recharge Berlin E-Prix. The double-header of races in the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship take place in the German capital this weekend on 14 and 15 May.
– The race sponsorship supports Shell Recharge’s ambition to be a leader In EV charging, operating over 500,000 charge points by 2025 and 2,500,00 charge points by 2030, and is aligned to the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship’s core purpose of accelerating the awareness and uptake of EVs to help decarbonise transport and urban areas.
– Eleven teams and 22 drivers will race at the Tempelhof Airport Street Circuit in the 2022 Shell Recharge Berlin E-Prix.
Original Source : https://www.automobilsport.com/race-categories–24,237463,Shell-Recharge-highlights-e-mobility-ambition-via-title-sponsorship-of-Berlin-e-Prix,news.htm
➤ CATL TO UNVEIL QINLIN BATTERY – 13% MORE POWER THAN TESLA 4680
National Business Daily on Twitter: “Chinese battery giant CATL is to unveil Qinlin battery in Q2 2022, said the company in an investors communication platform on Tuesday. It can deliver 13% more power than @Tesla’s 4680 battery with the same chemical system and the same pack size, learned NBD.
Original Source : https://twitter.com/nbdpress/status/1523878074139308032?s=12&t=3T3DNXaOQpK0rmg6Zi-vVQ
➤ CUPRA AND VWFS LAUNCH SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE FOR ALL-ELECTRIC BORN
– CUPRA and Volkswagen Financial Services UK (VWFS) has launched a pilot subscription service for the arrival of the award-winning, all-electric CUPRA Born in the UK.
– The new service, which is a partnership between CUPRA, Volkswagen Financial Services UK and Wagonex, launched in April and initially enables customers to take cars on a three-month subscription.
– he subscription package includes the cost of the vehicle, insurance, roadside assistance, 24/7 Driverline support as well as any maintenance. After three months, all customers have to do is hand the vehicle back.
– a member of the VWFS Rent-a-Car team, who are supporting the operational delivery of the subscription service, confirms availability and arranges for vehicle delivery within 14 days of booking, subject to availability.
Original Source : https://newspressuk.com/publicReleaseView/102594/58162
Subscription from CUPRA
– 19” ‘Typhoon’ machined alloy wheels
12″ Navigation system
5.3″ Digital Cockpit
– V3. From £729/month*
20” ‘Hurricane’ machined aerowheels
12 way electrically adjustable front seats
Pneumatically adjustable lumbar support
Original Source : https://www.cupraofficial.co.uk/cupra-finance/overview/subscription.html
➤ RALEIGH UNVEILS ITS NEW CENTROS WITH THE PROMISE OF 130 MILES ON A SINGLE CHARGE
– Raleigh has launched its new Centros electric bike range. Built for adventures the updated Centros models benefit from a more powerful battery, a range extender and a module rail system.
– Described by the British brand as its ‘do it all’ model, the Centros was launched in 2019 as Raleigh’s most advanced, best electric bike to date. To help it live up to its promise it came equipped with an impressive battery range, pannier racks and a focus on comfort.
– Across all four models, the new Bosch Powertube battery is paired with its Performance Line Motor to deliver 625Wh of assistance compared to 500Wh on the older Centros. Raleigh believes the combination will ensure “riders get up any hill they encounter, no matter how much they’re carrying in the panniers” while also delivering up to 130 miles on a single charge. While this is an impressive claim, Raleigh are also providing the option of greater mileage still thanks to an aftermarket e-bike battery range extender.
Original Source : https://www.cyclingweekly.com/products/raleigh-unveils-its-new-centros-with-the-promise-of-130-miles-on-a-single-charge
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What would you like to see improved in EV charge station design?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT