Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Tuesday 10th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
FORD F-150 LIGHTNINGS SEEN STOCKPILED AT DEARBORN TEST TRACK
– Production of the Ford F-150 Lightning began back on April 26, but instead of all of those electric trucks ending up in the hands of buyers, it seems as though a good chunk of the EV pickups are “starting to pile up the company test track in Dearborn, MI,” according to our spy photographers who are on the scene.
– Numerous convoys of F-150 Lightning trucks have been seen coming from the direction of Ford’s Rouge Electric Vehicle Center, and entering a side entrance at Ford’s Dearborn test track.
– Could the Lightning be another victim of the semiconductor shortage? Ford has not said anything about this so far, or announced any possible reasons why Lightnings would not reach owners in time, but why else would it be stockpiling them like that?
– It may not necessarily be a lack of chips – it could be another supply chain-related issue that is keeping Ford from shipping these off.
VW CEO THINKS THEY CAN SELL MORE ELECTRIC CARS THAN TESLA BY 2025
– Herbert Diess, the CEO of the Volkswagen Group, believes that the German automaker can sell more electric cars than Tesla by 2025. Is that goal even possible?
– At the FT Future of the Car 2022 conference today, Diess said that VW has for goal to beat Tesla to the become the top EV automaker by 2025 – though he admitted that it will be difficult (via Reuters):
– “It will be a tight race but we won’t give up on it. I have to say we didn’t expect our main U.S. competitor to be so fast and well-prepared.”
– By 2025, Tesla will likely have a production capacity of more than four million electric cars per year. I’d be surprised if VW can jump from 400,000 to four million units in just three years.
– With Tesla seemingly being willing to give up the lower-end of the market, there’s an opportunity for VW to come in and deliver a lot of volume in the large market of vehicles that start under $30,000.
Post | LinkedIn
– Spain will be Volkswagen’s second European electric vehicle hub after Germany! Therefore Volkswagen Group is investing 7 billion euro in Spain, the overall investment of 10 billion euro including 62 companies in the Spanish #PERTE program – the biggest industrial investment Spain has ever received.
– For Volkswagen and SEAT,SA this means: a new Gigafactory in Sagunto close to Valencia supplied by renewable energy, and the electrification of our plants in Martorell and Pamplona. From 2025 onwards several small electric cars of Volkswagen, CUPRA and ŠKODA AUTO a.s. will be manufactured in Spain.
– To be very clear: CUPRA is not replacing SEAT, but helping it to become much more profitable.
– In times of limited supply of semiconductors for sure we prioritize producing the higher margin CUPRAS over some SEAT entry models. Also for electrifying we prioritize the higher margin CUPRA models or are even launching new models solely under this brand – makes economically a lot of sense. Also our dealers are benefitting from this setup.
– So, as SKODA is working well beyond its own brand interest for the group, i.e. designing the new Passat, managing India, taking over platform responsibilities, ….. I am really looking forward for more group contribution from the SEAT team.
FORD E-TRANSIT CUSTOM IS A NEW ELECTRIC COMMERCIAL VAN FOR EUROPE
– Europeans will soon be getting an electric version of the popular Ford Transit Custom commercial van. Predictably coined the E-Transit Custom, Ford has released limited details and several images of the upcoming EV, which like its gas-burning counterpart isn’t expected to be sold in America.
– Its face is more assertive than the bug-eyed design worn by its internal-combustion stablemate. The electrified version also has chiseled lines around its wheel arches and across its flanks. Just below the passenger-side headlight is a charging port, but Ford hasn’t revealed the van’s battery capacity or powertrain specs.
– E-Transit Custom is expected to have a driving range of around 263 miles on a single charge—we assume this is on the WLTP standard.
– E-Transit Custom will start production in the second half of 2023 at its Otosan factory in Turkey.
– As with the full-size Ford E-Transit that’s sold in the U.S., the smaller Custom model will have Pro Power Onboard, which is a built-in AC power source that’s useful at work sites or wherever electricity is needed.
TESLA HALTS MOST OUTPUT AT SHANGHAI PLANT, APRIL SALES DIVE
– Tesla Inc has halted most of its production at its Shanghai plant due to problems securing parts for its electric vehicles, according to an internal memo seen by Reuters, the latest in a series of difficulties for the factory.
– The automaker’s sales in China had already slumped by 98% in April from a month earlier, data released by the China Passenger Car Association (CPCA) showed on Tuesday, underscoring the hit from China’s hard COVID-19 lockdowns.
– Tesla planned to manufacture fewer than 200 vehicles at its factory in the city on Tuesday, according to the memo, far below the roughly 1,200 units per day it had ramped up to shortly after reopening on April 19 following a 22-day closure.
– After reopening, the factory produced 10,757 vehicles by the end of April, selling 1,512 of them, the CPCA said.
– That compared to 65,814 cars sold in March
– Tesla did not export any China-made Model 3s and Model Ys from the Shanghai plant in April, the data showed.
TESLA RECALLS 130K VEHICLES; TOUCH SCREENS CAN GO BLANK
– Tesla is recalling about 130,000 vehicles across its U.S. model lineup because their touch screens can overheat and go blank.The recalls covers certain Model S sedan and Model X SUVs from 2021 and 2022, as well as Model 3 cars and Model Y SUVs from 2022.
– Documents posted Tuesday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration say that during the fast-charging process, the central processing computers may not cool sufficiently.
– Without the center screen, the cars can lose rearview camera displays, settings that control windshield defrosters and indicators that say whether the cars are in drive, neutral and reverse. That can increase the risk of a crash.
Original Source : https://www.independent.co.uk/news/tesla-ap-detroit-model-b2075666.html
TESLA REPORTEDLY NOW OFFERS LOANER VEHICLES TO UK OWNERS DURING WARRANTY-COVERED REPAIRS
– Tesla owners in the UK can now reportedly accept loaner vehicles via the OEM’s app while their vehicles receive repairs covered by their warranties, according to Tesla North.
– According to a German Tesla owner’s tweet, under Twitter handle Tesla_Adri, the new option was added in April. Tesla_Adri notes, however, that there’s a chance loaner vehicle access might not be granted.
– The agreement also states that loaner vehicles are subject to availability. Other Twitter users replied to Tesla_Adri’s tweet that Tesla service centers don’t always have loaner Teslas available.
SPACEX TO INCREASE ON-SITE SOLAR AND TESLA POWERPACK BATTERY CAPACITY AT ITS STARBASE FACILITY
– At its Boca Chica, Texas Starbase facility, SpaceX is expanding its on-site solar and energy storage to support operations. The project will add 750 kW of Trina Solar modules and roughly 4 MWh of battery energy storage supplied by Tesla Powerpack batteries.
– Once complete, the system will be a 1.6 MW solar facility with up to 8 MWh of battery energy storage. The battery energy storage is expected to help with intermittent generation cycles of solar PV and to provide ancillary services like peak demand shaving for SpaceX.
RIVIAN’S VENTURE INTO ITS FIRST RENEWABLE ENERGY PROJECT
– Rivian is venturing into renewable energy with its first solar power project in Nashville, Tennessee
– the company is now working with a partner, Clearloop, to develop its own solar energy.
– The Paris Solar Farm is the first installation in Henry County, which is located 100 miles east of Nashville, Tennessee.
– Rivian has invested in the project enough funds to develop one megawatt of the 6.75-megawatt target and will utilise that energy to power its Waypoint charger installations across the state, as well as other renewable energy applications—secured through power purchase agreements.
– The project will also address the scarcity of renewable energy projects as it enters an area which is notoriously lacking in facilities with the energy grid in Tennessee currently powered by 0.4% solar.
HYUNDAI MAY BUILD EV PLANT IN GEORGIA
– Hyundai plans to build a new electric-vehicle manufacturing plant in the United States and has held discussions with officials in Georgia, near existing plants for the Hyundai and Kia brands, people with knowledge of its plans told Reuters.
– Hyundai Motor confirmed an imminent plan for a new EV plant but declined to comment on any details, including site negotiations.
– The new Georgia EV facility, if it is finalized, would serve both Hyundai and Kia as the brands move to roll out a pair of fully electric SUVs – the Ioniq 7 and EV9 – aimed at the U.S. market, the three people with knowledge of the plans told Reuters.
– Hyundai had been working to announce its U.S. investment in EV manufacturing sometime later this month to coincide with Biden’s planned visit to Seoul, another person with knowledge of the plans said.
– Kia has said it will have 14 EVs by 2027. Hyundai has said it will roll out 17 by 2030, including six for its luxury Genesis brand.
– Hyundai’s battery supplier, SK Innovation’s battery unit SK On, has just built two adjacent plants in Georgia. The first, which mostly supplies Volkswagen AG, kicked off production in the first quarter. The second, which will supply batteries for Ford Motor Co, is set to begin production early next year.
Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2022/05/09/hyundai-georgia-ev-plant/
CHINA’S GEELY AUTO TO BUY 34% OF RENAULT KOREA MOTORS IN BID FOR SOUTH KOREAN, EXPORT MARKETS
– Geely Automobile Holdings, a China automaker controlled by billionaire Li Shufu, has agreed to buy 34% of Renault Korea Motors for 1.37 billion yuan, or about $210 million, Geely Auto said in a stock exchange filing today.
– Geely Auto’s main shareholder is Geely Holding, whose other brands include Volvo Cars, Lynk & Co, ZEEKR, Geometry, Polestar, Lotus, London Electric Vehicle Company, Farizon Auto, and Cao Cao Mobility.
– Geely Auto and Renault Korea Motors will manufacture hybrid electric vehicles and traditional internal combustion engine models for the South Korean market as well as explore overseas sales, the two said in a press release.
FORD EV BATTERIES WILL SWITCH OVER TO LITHIUM PHOSPHATE SOON
– Last fall, Tesla made headlines when it began offering vehicles with lithium iron-phosphate (LFP) batteries, which don’t use nickel or cobalt in their construction and are generally cheaper, safer, and can be charged to 100 percent without worrying about speeding up battery degradation
– Now, it seems that Ford EV batteries are set to follow suit in the near future
– “We’ve been working on LFP for quite some time, so let’s just leave it at that,” Farley said. “What I mean by that is, engineering LFP solutions in our first generation of products, something that we see as a big opportunity and to move quickly.”
– This is just the latest move from Ford as it aims to ensure that it can obtain enough raw materials and batteries to accomplish its goal of producing two million EVs annually by 2026.
MERCEDES TEASES NEW VISION AMG CONCEPT THAT LOOKS LIKE A PERFORMANCE EQXX
– Gorden Wagener, Mercedes’ chief design officer, took to Instagram today to share a teaser for a mysterious new concept vehicle called the Vision AMG.
– “The Desire for Performance Luxury,” Wagener wrote. “Get ready for our all-electric performance show car – the Vision AMG.” No further details, though, were revealed about the car beyond the drawings of its outline.
– That drawing is highly reminiscent of another recent show car, the Mercedes EQXX. Revealed on January 3, the highly aerodynamic car features a streamlined design with a short hood and a long sloping roof
– In March, the automaker said that the EQXX was a “research vehicle” intended to “explore options for future production vehicles. A blueprint for series production.” The company added that many of the innovations from that vehicle would soon find their way into production vehicles and the same might be the case for this upcoming concept.
NSW OFFERS GRANTS TO FUND THOUSANDS OF EV CHARGERS AT KEY TOURIST SITES
– The NSW government is offering grants of up to $40,000 to fund the installation of up to 3,500 electric vehicle charging facilities at the state’s regional tourist sites.
– NSW treasurer and energy minister Matt Kean said grants of between $2,000 and $40,000 will be offered per tourist location, as part of a $20 million effort to establish ‘Australia’s largest destination charging network.’
– The grants will be offered on a co-funding basis, with destinations expected to contribute to the cost of installing the charging facilities.
– According to the NSW government, eligible tourist destinations include motels, wineries, cafes, restaurants, natural attractions, visitor information centres, museums and zoos.
ELECTRIC MODELS DRIVE SECOND-HAND CAR SALES HIGHER
– Second-hand car sales have risen this year, boosted by a sharp increase in the number of used electric vehicles on the market.
– Sales of used cars in the UK rose 5.1% between January and March, compared to the same three months last year.But the market for electric cars, which only makes up a small percentage of the overall second-hand market, more than doubled in size.
– Sales of used battery electric vehicles (BEVs), which run purely on electric power, grew from 6,625 to 14,586 in the first three months of the year, a rise of 120.2% from a year earlier.
Original Source : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61383855
ELECTRIC SCOOTERS HAVE BEEN LEGALISED IN THE QUEEN’S SPEECH TODAY
– The Queen’s speech delivered by Prince Charles today included the legalisation of the use of e-scooters
– Transport Secretary Grant Shapps confirmed in April he would announce the legislation surrounding e-scooters in the Queen’s Speech 2022.
– Mr Shapps said the plan was to “introduce legislation to allow the Government to regulate e-scooters in the 2022–23 session.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What would you like to see improved in EV charge station design?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT