09 May 2022 | Toyota Says BZ4X “May Not Work” If Charging In Cold Weather
On the podcast today:
- Germany’s Plugin EV Share Up To 24.3%
- Toyota Says BZ4X Won’t Fast Charge When Cold
- Spain: Plug-In Car Sales Maintain 10% Share
- 5% of New Light-Duty Vehicle Registrations in California were Plug-in Vehicles
- China set to remain world’s largest NEV market, says BMW CFO
- Toyota to Invest $624 Million to Make EV Parts in India
- Ford is selling 8 million Rivian shares
- Ford Might Have Very Bad News for Rivian
- BMW’s Neue Klasse Platform Will Debut On 3 Series-Sized EV In 2025
- CarGurus Study Finds Rising Consumer Interest in Electric Vehicles as Gas Prices Spike
- Bentley Continental GT PHEV spied, shows new step in brand’s electrification
- Cords cut at Tesla charging station in Cincinnati, second time in a week
- Which New Electric Vehicles Come With Free Charging?
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 9th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
GERMANY’S PLUGIN EV SHARE UP TO 24.3%
Germany, Europe’s largest auto market, saw plugin electric vehicles take 24.3% share in April 2022, up from 22.1% YoY. Overall auto volume was down, by over 21% YoY, and over 40% compared to pre-pandemic seasonal norms.
April’s combined plugin result comprised 12.3% battery electrics (BEVs), and 12.0% plugin hybrids (PHEVs).
Combustion-only powertrains faired worst in terms of volume drop, with diesel sales down almost 30% YoY, and petrol down almost 28%.
With current BEV market leader Tesla not having any large scheduled deliveries in April, other marques and models had a chance to shine, with the Fiat 500e coming out on top.
The Mercedes EQB stepped up in registered volume by some 5× over the period, seeing a healthy 1,405 units over the February to April period, from 295 previously. The BMW i4 increased 2.7× to 755 units.
April BEVs: Fiat 500e, BMW i3, Hyundai Kona, Enyaq, E-Tron, Smart Fortwo, Opel Corsa, ID.4, Zoe, E-208, Merc EQB, Kia Niro EV, Dacia Spring, VW e-Up!, Polestar 2, ID.3, Renault Twingo, Audi Q4 e-tron, IONIQ5 and Kia EV6
Original Source: https://cleantechnica.com/2022/05/06/germanys-plugin-ev-share-up-to-24-3-economic-pressures-mounting/
TOYOTA SAYS BZ4X WON’T FAST CHARGE WHEN COLD
From Kyle Conner @ Out of Spec:
“Charging times are estimated based on ideal charging conditions. As temperatures decrease below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, charging time will increase significantly. Drive battery level and condition, charger specifications and DC charging more than twice per day also can negatively affect charging time. DC charging may not work on AWD bz4x when the temperature is below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.”
That’s 5 degrees celsius.
Original Source: https://pressroom.toyota.com/five-things-to-know-about-the-all-electric-toyota-bz4x/
SPAIN: PLUG-IN CAR SALES MAINTAIN 10% SHARE
– plug-in electric car sales in Spain continue to expand at a fast rate. In April, some 6,365 new plug-in cars were registered (up 41% year-over-year), which is 9% of the total.
– The average market share of plug-ins in the recent six months stays above 10%, which is a good foundation for the future. With outstanding conditions for solar electricity generation and unleashed production of BEVs (supported by new battery gigafactory investments in the pipeline), Spain has very high potential for electrification.
– Stats for the month: BEVs: 1,991 (up 36%, at 2.8% market share) PHEVs: 4,374 (up 43%, at 6.2% market share) Total: 6,365 (up 41%, at 9.0% market share)
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/584466/spain-plugin-car-sales-april-2022/
12.5% OF NEW LIGHT-DUTY VEHICLE REGISTRATIONS IN CALIFORNIA WERE PLUG-IN VEHICLES
– In California, 12.5% of new light-duty vehicle registrations were plug-in electric vehicles (PEV) in 2021, according to the data released by the Department of Energy (DOE)
– Next highest were the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Washington, and Oregon, which each had PEV registrations accounting for more than 7% of new registrations.
– Additionally, Californians bought roughly 15,000 more EVs during this quarter than last quarter and Q1 of 2022 EV sales are up by 37%, relative to EV sales at this time last year.The market share of electric vehicles in California jumped to 16.32%.
Original Source : https://electriccarsreport.com/2022/05/in-2021-12-5-of-new-light-duty-vehicle-registrations-in-california-were-plug-in-vehicles/
CHINA SET TO REMAIN WORLD’S LARGEST NEV MARKET, SAYS BMW CFO
– China will continue to be the world’s largest new energy vehicle (NEV) market for years to come, said Nicolas Peter, chief financial officer (CFO) and member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, in a recent exclusive interview with Xinhua.
– In 2021, NEV sales in China increased by about 170 percent year-on-year. This momentum continued in the first quarter of 2022, when — despite all the challenges — the Chinese NEV market posted a 140 percent year-on-year growth.
– On Thursday, the company launched the production of BMW i3, tailormade for the Chinese market, at its new plant, dubbed Lydia, in Shenyang, northeast China. Last month, the company also held the world premiere for its all-electric BMW i7 luxury sedan.
Original Source : http://www.china.org.cn/business/2022-05/07/content_78204925.htm
FORD IS SELLING 8 MILLION RIVIAN SHARES
– Ford Motor is selling 8 million of its Rivian Automotive shares, with the insider lockup for the stock of the once high-flying electric vehicle maker set to expire on Sunday, sources told CNBC’s David Faber.
– The automaker currently owns 102 million shares of Rivian. Ford will be selling the shares through Goldman Sachs, sources said.
– Shares of the EV manufacturer have plummeted by more than 50% in the first three months of 2022, reversing course from the fourth quarter, when the company held its stock market debut and saw its value skyrocket.
Original Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/08/ford-is-selling-8-million-rivian-shares-sources-say.html
FORD MIGHT HAVE VERY BAD NEWS FOR RIVIAN
– Amazon owned 17.74% of Rivian as of Dec. 31 and Ford owned 11.42%, according to documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
– Ford, for its part, posted a net loss of $3.1 billion from January to March. “A net loss of $3.1 billion was primarily attributable to a mark-to-market loss of $5.4 billion on the company’s investment in Rivian. Adjusted earnings before interest and taxes were $2.3 billion,” Ford said.
– Rivian shares have slumped 72.2% this year. The market capitalization at Rivian has shrunk by $66.1 billion, to $25.43 billion from Dec. 31 to May 6.
– The R1T is one of the main rivals of the F-150 Lightning, the electric version of the F-150 pickup.
Original Source : https://www.thestreet.com/technology/ford-might-have-very-bad-news-for-rivian
BMW’S NEUE KLASSE PLATFORM WILL DEBUT ON 3 SERIES-SIZED EV IN 2025
– BMW Group has revealed new details about its Neue Klasse (New Class) EV architecture that will debut by mid-decade.
– CEO Oliver Zipse said during the company’s first-quarter earnings call on May 5 that the platform would play “a crucial part” in the ramp up of EV sales for the company, adding that “it represents a quantum leap in technology.” Neue Klasse will feature BMW’s next-generation electric drivetrain “with more output, new cell chemistry and new cell formats,” according to Zipse.
– He also said that BMW would initially focus its Neue Klasse architecture on midsize premium fully electric models.
– BMW previously said the Neue Klasse architecture would be EV-centric while also offering support for internal combustion engines, including plug-in hybrids. Zipse’s latest comments clearly suggest the platform will be exclusively used for electric vehicles.
– A BMW spokesman brought more clarity regarding the applicability of the next-gen EV architecture, telling Automotive News Europe that Neue Klasse will be gradually expanded for all-electric cars in other segments beyond midsize cars. “The Neue Klasse starts with models from the middle car segment, but of course there is more to come. The Neue Klasse is our model range for the future – from the high-volume segment to exclusive high-performance models.”
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/584413/bmw-neue-klasse-platform-will-debut-3-series-sized-ev-2025/
CARGURUS STUDY FINDS RISING CONSUMER INTEREST IN ELECTRIC VEHICLES AS GAS PRICES SPIKE
– The CarGurus 2022 Electric Vehicle Insight Report examined consumer feedback on a variety of EV-related topics like timeline to ownership, the effects of higher gas prices, possible barriers to adoption, and preferred brands.
– Since the first iteration of this study in 2018, interest in electric vehicles has risen steadily each year. In February and March of this year, though, excitement and readiness for adoption stagnated until the reality of high gas prices set in in April – 32% and 34% of consumers surveyed in February and March (respectively) expected to own an EV in five years
– 45% of consumers surveyed said they would consider purchasing an EV from Tesla, followed by Toyota (44%) and Honda (40%).
– 67% of respondents believe that electric vehicles are the future, but many are not yet ready to stomach the costs – only 39% say EVs are currently worth their higher asking prices. Buyers could be convinced to go electric, though, if charging ranges improve (43%), if there were more charging bays available (43%), or if EVs cost the same as gas-powered vehicles (40%).
– CarGurus surveyed 2,176 automobile owners in the U.S. on their sentiments towards electric vehicles through an online survey.
Original Source : https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cargurus-study-finds-rising-consumer-130000267.html
BENTLEY CONTINENTAL GT PHEV SPIED, SHOWS NEW STEP IN BRAND’S ELECTRIFICATION
– The Bentley Continental GT is the next model from the luxury brand to get an electrified variant. These spy shots from Motor.es catch the plug-in hybrid Conti on the road with seemingly no camouflage on the body. A badge on the side adds an extra layer of mystery to this vehicle, though.
– According to Motor.es, the charging port is under the cover on the rear quarter panel.
– We first heard rumours of Bentley working on a Continental GT plug-in hybrid last year. At the time, the company reported that customers were asking for a variant of the coupe with zero-emissions capability. There’s no indication yet when Bentley intends to unveil the PHEV Continental GT.
– The EV coming in 2025 reportedly takes advantage of the innovations from Audi’s Artemis project.
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/584356/bentley-continental-phev-spy-photos/
CORDS CUT AT TESLA CHARGING STATION IN CINCINNATI, SECOND TIME IN A WEEK
– The Tesla Supercharger station near the Oakley Meijer was vandalized Friday for the second time this week. Cords on the charging station were cut and stolen for the copper inside.
– Tesla owner Raj Geru saw police at the station when the first episode of vandalism happened Tuesday.
– A repairman from the Tesla’s Supercharger Command Center fixed the chargers earlier this week. He says it happened at a station in Oakland, California on Wednesday. He also says it’s becoming more common.
– The repairman says the people vandalizing the chargers are only doing the first few at the station because those are hidden from Meijer’s surveillance cameras.
Original Source : https://www.fox19.com/2022/05/07/cords-cut-tesla-charging-station-cincinnati-second-time-week/
WHICH NEW ELECTRIC VEHICLES COME WITH FREE CHARGING?
2022 Audi E-Tron GT
2022 Audi E-Tron and Q4 E-Tron
2022 BMW i4 Gran Coupe and iX
2022 Chevrolet Bolt EV and Bolt EUV
2021-22 Ford Mustang Mach-E and 2022 F-150 Lightning
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5
2022 Hyundai Kona Electric and 2021 Ioniq Electric
2022 Kia EV6
2022 Lucid Air
2022 Mazda MX-30
2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS, 2022 EQB and 2023 EQE
2023 Nissan Ariya
2022 Nissan Leaf
2021-22 Polestar 2
2022 Porsche Taycan and Taycan Cross Turismo
2022 Rivian R1T and R1S
2023 Toyota bZ4X
2022 Volkswagen ID.4
2022 Volvo C40 Recharge and XC40 Recharge
- Original Source : https://www.cars.com/articles/which-new-electric-vehicles-come-with-free-charging-449786/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What would you like to see improved in EV charge station design?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT