Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Sunday 8th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
ELECTRIC VW ID BUZZ STARTS AT 65,000 EUROS
“The updated list of eligible electric vehicles published by the Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (Bafa) reveals something that VW only wanted to tell us at the start of sales: the price of the ID Buzz.”
“Bafa, which is responsible for promoting e-cars, gives the first ID Buzz Pro model available for sale with a net price of 54,270 euros. Plus the statutory sales tax, the Bully successor is around 64,580 euros and thus well above the 40,000 euro limit for the higher subsidy. The purchase bonus for the ID Buzz this year is still 7,500 euros, of which 2,500 euros from the manufacturer, so that customers have to spend around 57,080 euros on balance.”
“For the commercial offshoot, the ID Buzz Cargo, interested parties have to budget 45,740 euros net. With a premium, they come to a net purchase price of 38,240 euros. They get the sales tax back from the tax office anyway.”
Original Source: https://t3n.de/news/bafa-leak-vw-id-buzz-65000-1470726/
FORD THROWS SHADE AT TESLA WITH A NEW AD CELEBRATING WORKERS
– It starts with a nice touch of snark. Footage is shown of a hand scrolling on a smartphone with the commentary, “Right now it could seem like the only people who matter are the loudest….” Who could they be thinking of?
– Then, it continues— “Those who want to tear things down and then fly away on their personal spaceships when things get hard,” A video of a rocket taking lift off fills the screen.
– The rest of the ad is dedicated to profiling the workers of Ford, profiling a culturally and gender diverse cohort of people working by their first name. The narrator says that Ford assembles more vehicles in the US than other car manufacturers, which means local jobs.
– The narrator continues: “… we’ve got 182,000 people, and they’re building.” and goes on further to conclude, “you might not know their names, but these people get up every day to move us all forward.”
HOT VOLKSWAGEN ID.3 GTX TO JOIN RANGE IN 2023
– Volkswagen has been tipped to spice up its ID.3 EV with a performance version that will become the brand’s first all-electric hot hatchback. And now, we know when it’ll arrive.
– Speaking at the launch of the new ID.5 SUV in Austria, Volkswagen product line spokesperson Martin Hube noted that the ID.3 GTX’s entry to the range will coincide with the ID.3’s mid-life facelift. “Of course the project is progressing,” he said, adding, “[For the] ID.3 facelift…we will get some very interesting details and of course, we are convinced that customer’s expectations for a bit more power, for all-wheel drive is there, and [the] customer’s wish is what we have to fulfil.”
– This means the ID.3 GTX won’t be launched this year – we’re not expecting a facelifted ID.3 until 2023 at the earliest.
– likely that the ID.3 GTX will use the same twin-motor powertrain as the ID.4 GTX, producing 295bhp. In the smaller, lighter ID.3, the GTX will likely undercut the ID.4 GTX’s 6.2-second 0-62mph time.
- Original Source : https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/id3/355043/hot-volkswagen-id3-gtx-join-range-2023
TESLA OPENS MORE SUPERCHARGERS TO OTHERS
– In Norway, Tesla has opened more Superchargers for other brands. According to one observer, almost the entire route to the North Cape is now open to electric cars from other manufacturers.
– Multiple articles report that this involves 42 additional Supercharger locations where non-Teslas can now also charge. After an initial test with ten sites in the Netherlands in November 2021, Tesla opened its first charging parks in Norway and France to non-Tesla brands this January with initially 15 in Norway and 16 in France.
– In the north of the country, the entire route to the North Cape is not completely covered by Superchargers and in some places the distance between chargers is around 400 kilometres.
EXCLUSIVE CATL PLANNING EV BATTERY PRODUCTION IN UNITED STATES, VETTING SITES
– CATL (300750.SZ), the world’s largest battery maker, is in the final stages of vetting sites in the United States to build electric vehicle batteries, an investment that would mark the Chinese company’s first production in the world’s second-largest car market, two people with knowledge of the plans told Reuters.
– Contemporary Amperex Technology Co (CATL) is in talks to open plants that would serve BMW AG (BMWG.DE) and Ford Motor Co (F.N), and potential sites include South Carolina and Kentucky, where those automakers have assembly plants,
– CATL had begun mass production of batteries for overseas markets in 2021 and was looking to lock in its standing as the major battery supplier to automakers overseas “in the next round of supplier sourcing,”
– Other Asian companies that have announced plans to build U.S. battery plants include Korea’s LG Energy Solution (051910.KS), SK Innovation (096770.KS) and Samsung SDI (006400.KS). Japan’s Panasonic Corp(6752.T) also is reportedly looking to purchase land for a plant to serve Tesla. read more
– CATL will open its first battery plant outside China later this year in Arnstadt, Germany, to serve BMW
- Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-catl-planning-ev-battery-production-united-states-vetting-sites-2022-05-06/
NISSAN IS PLANNING NISMO-BADGED PERFORMANCE EVS
– Nissan is planning to launch 15 new electric cars by 2030, and it seems sporty versions of its future EVs will be branded as Nismo-derivative machines. Yep, Nismo’s going electric.
– Speaking exclusively to TG at last weekend’s Formula E race in Monaco, Nissan’s chairman of Europe Guillaume Cartier confirmed that the company is actively looking at which of its upcoming electric cars would be most suited to Nismo-fication.
– Most manufacturers are planning to tap into the ‘fast electric’ segment one way or another: VW has its GTX line, Seat has Cupra (yeah, yeah, ‘entirely separate companies’, we know) Ford has Mach-E… why wouldn’t Nissan use its racing arm to add a bit of pedigree?
– chief operating officer Ashwani Gupta reiterated over the weekend that Nissan has ended its investment in internal combustion engines, pinning its hopes on solid-state batteries that it reckons will vastly outperform today’s technology when they’re ready for production in 2028.
- Original Source : https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/nissan-planning-nismo-badged-performance-evs
PROTERRA SELECTS EATON’S 4-SPEED EV TRANSMISSION FOR ITS ZX5 ELECTRIC TRANSIT BUSES
– Proterra has selected Eaton’s eMobility business to supply a 4-speed medium-duty electrified vehicle (EV) transmission for the company’s ProDrive drivetrain used in Proterra ZX5 electric transit buses.
– The medium-duty 4-speed transmission, to be used in city buses in North America, addresses the primary issue related to single-speed drives that have contradictory requirements for high efficiency at top speeds and increased torque at launch and low speeds.
– Eaton’s 4-speed transmission has fine-pitch helical gears that ensure smooth, low-noise operation and a shifting strategy designed to extend range and battery life. Road tests have shown a 20% to 30% efficiency improvement in energy consumption under normal driving conditions compared with a direct-drive transmission and a 10% to 15% improvement compared with a current 2-speed solution.
- Original Source : https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220506-eaton.html
NEW MEXICO’S CLEAN CAR RULE WILL GO INTO EFFECT JULY 1
– New Mexico car dealerships will soon be required to stock a small percentage of electric vehicles under the state’s newly adopted Clean Car Rule.
– The Environmental Improvement Board and Albuquerque-Bernalillo County Air Quality Control Board both approved the new rules upon the conclusion of a two-day meeting this week.
– Under current laws, states are able to choose to either adopt California’s clean car standards or follow the federal requirements. The new rules state that seven percent of model year 2026 vehicles sold in New Mexico must be electric.
– Thursday’s vote means that, starting July 1, New Mexico will be following the standards set in California. It is the 18th state to adopt such rules.
- Original Source : https://nmpoliticalreport.com/2022/05/06/new-mexicos-clean-car-rule-will-go-into-effect-july-1/
MERCEDES DRIVE PILOT LEVEL 3 AUTONOMOUS TECH OFFICIALLY ON SALE IN GERMANY
– the all-electric EQS, will soon be able to be ordered with conditional self-driving tech in Germany. Starting from May 17, the so-called Drive Pilot system will be offered as an extra-cost option for the two sedans, allowing the driver to hand the entire control of the machine over to the system under certain conditions.
– international approval for Level 3 autonomous tech in December last year. Releasing the system on the market now becomes the next logical step and Mercedes will ask €5,000 for Drive Pilot on the S-Class and €7,430 on the EQS,
– These figures include both the required hardware and software and for now, no further subscriptions are needed.
– The system used by Mercedes allows the driver to hand all driving tasks to the tech in heavy traffic or on suitable motorways in Germany with speeds of up to 60 kilometers per hour. Under these conditions, the driver can fully disengage from driving with the system controlling the speed and distance, as well as guiding the vehicle within its lane. More importantly, the system also reacts to unexpected traffic situations and avoids dangerous manoeuvres.
EV CHARGERS EMERGE AS TARGETS FOR HACKERS
– As electric vehicle sales pick up steam worldwide, EV charging stations are emerging as an enticing target for hackers.
– Chargers provide a new opportunity for “hackers looking for ways to make money,” warns Yoav Levy, CEO of Upstream Security, an Israeli provider of automotive cybersecurity platforms.
– Three charging points on the Isle of Wight in England were hacked to show pornography on their screens, according to a report last month by BBC News.
– In February, EV charging stations along a major highway between Moscow and St. Petersburg in Russia were disabled by hackers protesting the country’s invasion of Ukraine. The chargers’ screens reportedly displayed a vulgar insult directed at Russian President Vladimir Putin, among other pro-Ukraine and anti-Russia messages.
– Hackers can target chargers for ransomware attacks, locking users out of charging until they pay money. They might also hack into the charger to avoid paying fees for usage.
– “Think about a delivery company — and just before Christmas, your entire fleet is shut down. How disruptive would that be?”
BMW I INTERIOR DESIGNER SAYS BIG SCREENS AREN’T LONG FOR THIS WORLD
– BMW i interior designer Matthias Junghanns says that the trend is soon coming to an end.
– “Is it the big screen that counts? I’m personally convinced that these black glass surfaces in the car interiors are… we will leave that behind, sooner or later,” he said during a recent roundtable webinar with fellow interior designers from Polestar and Pininfarina.
– Junghanns went on to say that the intelligence of car systems will reach a point where they can provide all the tech, information, and functionality you need but with displays that only appear when needed.
– Other designers, such as Polestar’s Conny Blommé, seemed to agree with him, claiming that big screens have reached their peak. “Most of the time, you’re traveling in a car, and you enjoy the view more than you enjoy the screens.”
- Original Source : https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/05/05/bmw-i-interior-designer-big-screens/
PG&E TO LAUNCH NEW PILOTS STUDYING ELECTRIC VEHICLE BIDIRECTIONAL CHARGING
– Today, Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) announced it will develop three new pilot programs to test how bidirectional electric vehicles (EVs) and chargers can provide power to the electric grid and other benefits to customers.
– PG&E will test bidirectional charging technology in a variety of settings, including in homes, businesses and with local microgrids in select high fire-threat districts (HFTDs). The pilots will test the ability for the EV to send power back to the grid and provide power to customers during an outage. PG&E expects its findings will help determine how to maximize the cost-effectiveness of bidirectional charging technology in providing a variety of customer and grid services.
– The new pilots are separate and in addition to the collaborations announced in March with both General Motors and Ford Motor Company, and will help to inform the Department of Energy Memorandum of Understanding that PG&E and a collaboration of industry, government and labor leaders signed in April focused on accelerating “vehicle-to-everything” technologies.
– This pilot will be open to up to 1,000 residential customers who will receive at least $2,500 for enrolling, and up to an additional $2,175 depending on their participation.
– The microgrid pilot will explore how EVs—both light-duty and medium- to heavy-duty—plugged into community microgrids can support community resiliency during Public Safety Power Shutoff events. Customers will be able to discharge their EVs to the community microgrid to support temporary power or charge from the microgrid if there is excess power.
DPD UK ORDERS 1000 FORD E-TRANSIT VANS
– DPD is expanding its fleet in the UK by 1,000 Ford E-Transit to a total of over 2,500 electric vehicles. The first of the 1,000 Ford E-Transits ordered are to be delivered to DPD later this month.
– DPD UK says it has opted for the 3.5-tonne version with 135 kW engine power, long wheelbase and 12.4 cubic metres of load space.
– Ford only offers the E-Transit with one battery variant of 68 kWh net. We summarised the detailed specifications for the E-Transit when these were released in at the end of 2020.
– In the USA, E-Transit vans built in Kansas City have been ready for delivery since February
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns on Monday 9th May! If you have a suggestions, let me know.
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT