Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Saturday 7th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
VOLKSWAGEN: AFFORDABLE SMALL EV TO BE MADE IN SPAIN FROM 2025
⚡️ Volkswagen Group & SEAT S.A. will help to electrify #Spain by
▶️ mobilizing 10 billion € – the single largest industrial investment in Spain’s history
▶️ building a battery factory in Sagunto
▶️ producing small e-cars in Spain from 2025
▶️ building up a comprehensive supplier ecosystem
“The Volkswagen Group, SEAT and the Spanish Government share a vision: to make Spain a European hub for electric mobility. We are ready to initiate this transformation”, says our CEO Herbert Diess.
Sneak peek! 🤩 These are the first sketches of our smaller e-models from #Skoda, #Cupra & #VW, which will be built in #Spain from 2025. These entry level electric vehicles make the access to #eMobility much easier & push the country’s future of mobility – for generations to come.
Original Source: https://www.linkedin.com/company/volkswagen-ag/posts/?feedView=all
VOLKSWAGEN BOOSTS ELECTRIC CAR INVESTMENT IN SPAIN TO 10 BLN EUROS
– Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) and partners will invest 10 billion euros ($10.6 billion) to make electric vehicles and batteries in Spain, its chief executive said on Thursday, 3 billion euros more than it had previously committed.
– The company also announced a partnership deal with Spain’s largest power utility Iberdrola (IBE.MC), which will set up a solar park to partly power the battery plant to be built in the municipality of Sagunto near Valencia.
– Volkswagen said in March it would invest 7 billion euros to build a battery plant and produce electric vehicles at its two car factories in Spain, but CEO Herbert Diess said that figure had been raised to 10 billion with new partners on board.
– “We will electrify the second-largest car producer in Europe (Spain) with a new giga-factory of batteries and the production of electric cars in two plants,” Diess told an event in Sagunto, adding the plan was to create “a full ecosystem of suppliers from lithium extraction to the assembly of batteries”.
VW INCREASES EV INVESTMENT PLAN IN SPAIN TO NEARLY $11 BILLION
– VW aims to start building the 40-gigawatt-hour (GWh) plant in the first quarter of 2023, with series production scheduled to start by 2026.
– VW plans to have six battery cell production plants in Europe by 2030 with a joint capacity of 240 GWh, in an attempt to control as much of the supply chain as possible. The plan is key step in VW’s bid to outdo Tesla and become the world’s top-seller of EVs.
UK: ELECTRIC VEHICLE MARKET SHARE REACHED 10.8% IN APRIL
– UK new car registrations fell by -15.8% to 119,167 units in April
– Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) registrations continued to grow with 12,899 of the latest zero emission cars joining UK roads – an increase of 40.9% on the same month last year – and taking a 10.8% market share, up from 6.5% last year.
– the number of new plug-in hybrid (PHEV) registrations decreased by a third (-32.8%). As a result, electrified vehicles comprised 27.9% of all new car registrations during April.
– plug-in electric cars are now expected to account for a quarter of all registrations (25.2%) during the year, with BEVs alone comprising around one in six new cars on the road.
VOLTA TRUCKS CONFIRMS U.S. MARKET ENTRY 2023
– Volta Trucks has shared a roadmap outlining plans to bring its all-electric Zero trucks to the United States next year. Its strategy will include the 16-ton Volta Zero truck to begin, followed by Class 5 and 6 variants. Additionally, Volta Trucks is searching for a manufacturing partner on US soil to begin building the Zero trucks before year’s end.
– In 2023, however, a larger, 18-ton version of the Volta Zero will join the original 16-ton model. With the company’s latest announcement, we have learned that Volta’s flagship Zero trucks will be arriving in the United States in 2023 as well, beginning in Los Angeles.
– Volta announced the news in a press release early this morning, laying out its roadmap for entry into the United States market as well as strategies for TaaS, maintenance, and local manufacturing. According to the automaker, US residents will see Volta Trucks operating on the streets of Los Angeles by the end of 2023.
– The commercial EV manufacturer is currently road testing “design verification” prototypes of the 16-ton Zero in Europe and expects to have over 1,500 commercial EVs built overseas by the time it enters North America.
– To begin, the first Class 7 Volta Trucks to arrive in North America will come from the automaker’s current contract manufacturing facility in Steyr, Austria. However, all Class 5 and 6 Zero Trucks that will eventually be delivered in the United States will be built locally.
ABB AND EVINY INSTALL WORLD’S FASTEST ELECTRIC CAR CHARGER IN NORWAY
– ABB and Eviny have collaborated on the first installations of ABB’s Terra 360.
– ABB’s Terra 360 is now available for use by the country’s rapidly growing community of EV drivers at the Oasen Shopping Center, Bergen and in the Norwegian ski resort of Geilo.
– The charging stations can simultaneously charge up to two vehicles with dynamic power distribution. With a maximum output of 360 kW
CALIFORNIA GRANTS $2.5 MILLION TO PUSH PORT OF LONG BEACH ELECTRIC VEHICLE PROJECT
– The Port of Long Beach has received a multimillion dollar California Energy Commission Grant to aid the second phase of the Port Community Electric Vehicle Blueprint – designed to accelerate a sustainable and zero-emission port ecosystem across the state.
– The $2.5 million grant will help the towards its transition to zero-emissions operations by developing infrastructure plans to support electric vehicles.
– projects include installing chargers at the port’s Maintenance Facility as well as the infrastructure needed to power future chargers at the port’s Joint Command and Control Center.
REPORT: TESLA MIGHT ACQUIRE MORE LAND ADJACENT TO ITS GIGAFACTORY IN GERMANY
– The recently launched Tesla Giga Berlin-Brandenburg plant in Grünheide near Berlin, Germany potentially might become larger than initially anticipated.
– Tesla is planning to acquire an additional plot (100 hectare) adjacent to the already massive 300-hectare property, which is big enough for a few more gigafactories.
– Nothing is official or certain at this point, but the rumors in “circles of authorities” sound reasonable.
– Currently, Tesla is busy ramping up the production of Made-in-Germany (MIG) Tesla Model Y at the site, which is especially important due to disruptions in supply chains and the Giga Shanghai site’s local lockdowns. The MIG Tesla Model Y is progressing and recent videos show multiple vehicle carriers waiting or taking new cars to customers in Europe.
2022 GENESIS GV60: PRICING AND SPECIFICATION REVEALED
– Genesis has announced pricing and specification details for the GV60, its first bespoke electric car and a technologically advanced crossover to rival the Skoda Enyaq iV Coupé.
– Prices start from £47,005 in the UK for entry-level Premium cars, which include a 12.3in infotainment system, wireless phone charging and a host of safety systems as standard.
– Premium models are driven by a 225bhp rear-mounted electric motor, powered by a 73kWh battery with a claimed 321 miles of range.
– The range-topping Sport Plus is the performance model of the line-up. It’s driven by a 482bhp powertrain with four-wheel drive.
– The Sport model is capable of 292 miles on a single charge, while top-rung Sport Plus versions offer 289 miles.
ENTIRE US VOLVO LINEUP FOR 2023 IS MILD HYBRID, PLUG-IN HYBRID, OR EV
– The entire 2023 Volvo lineup in the United States will be mild hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or all-electric, the automaker confirmed Wednesday in a press release.
– Volvo sees it as a step toward offering only pure electric vehicles by 2030 and being carbon-neutral by 2040.
– With the XC40 and XC90 crossover SUVs and V60 Cross Country station wagon getting mild hybrid powertrains (badged B4, B5, and B6) as standard equipment, Volvo has filled in the last non-electrified gaps in its U.S. lineup.
– The XC40 Recharge is an electric version of the XC40, while the C40 Recharge is a low-roofed XC40 derivative available only in electric form.
– Plug-in hybrids like the XC90 Recharge are a growing portion of the lineup. In addition to the XC90, Volvo offers plug-in hybrid versions of the XC60 SUV, S60 and S90 sedans, and V60 wagon. Bigger battery packs and other changes for the 2022 model year yielded more electric range, more power, and one-pedal driving.
BOSCH’S EMOBILITY ORDER VOLUME EXCEEDS TEN BILLION EUROS
– Bosch recorded an order volume of over ten billion euros in the field of electromobility for the first time in 2021. In addition, the supplier announces its intention to offer further hydrogen components in the future: The company is also now entering the development of components for electrolysers.
– Last year, Bosch generated a profit of 3.2 billion euros on sales of 78.7 billion euros. It is not only because of the high eMobility order volume that the supplier is betting on the growing business with electromobility. “Electrification is the fastest route to climate neutrality,”
GM CEO MARY BARRA’S PLAN FOR OVERTAKING TESLA
– GM (GM) CEO Mary Barra has made it her mission to surpass Elon Musk in EV manufacturing.
– She promises that her 113-year-old company can pivot and take on Tesla (TSLA), the world’s largest EV maker, making GM the eventual leader in that market as it’s been in the past for internal-combustion powered cars.
– “We’re taking all the steps to do it,” she told Yahoo Finance in a wide-ranging interview this week. “We have said that by mid-decade, we will be selling more EVs in this country than anyone else, including Tesla.”
– But Barra says she knows the strategy to do it: Cheaper electric vehicles.“Remember, we’re not necessarily just selling at the premium end” she said Monday, drawing a clear contrast to Tesla, whose cheapest model has an MSRP of $46,990. “We’re going to have electric vehicles affordable at $30,000.”
– Currently, the Chevy BOLT EV is listed as starting at $31,500, and a Silverado EV has an estimated MSRP of $39,900. Other electric cars in Barra’s lineup — like the Cadillac LYRIQ and the Hummer — are more clearly in the luxury space, with suggested MSRPs of $58,795 and 79,995, respectively.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns on Monday 9th May! If you have a suggestions, let me know.
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT