Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Friday 6th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
LUCID KEEPS 2022 PRODUCTION TARGETS, RAISES EV PRICES
– Lucid Group Inc. shares edged higher late Thursday after the EV maker reported a narrower-than-expected first-quarter loss and said its production volume remains on track despite ongoing supply-chain problems.
– Lucid lost $81 million, or 5 cents a share, in the quarter, compared with a loss of $2.9 billion, or $89.29 a share, in the year-ago quarter. Revenue reached $58 million, from $313,000, thanks to the delivery of 360 vehicles, Lucid said.
– There’s “strong demand” for the Lucid Air, the EV maker’s luxury electric sedan, and reservations have topped 30,000, Lucid said. That translates to potential sales of $2.9 billion, it said.
– Lucid kept its 2022 production volume outlook of between 12,000 vehicles and 14,000 vehicles.
– The EV maker also announced price increases on most of its electric vehicle models beginning June 1. Current prices will be honored for existing reservations and any reservation made by May 31, Lucid said.
– The Air will start at $87,400 for a base model and go up to $154,000 for the grand touring model, the company said. A “grand touring performance” model, announced two weeks ago, will remain at $179,000, Lucid said.
– $5.4 billion of cash on hand
VOLVO CARS SHARE OF ELECTRIFIED CARS INCREASED TO 38.4%
– Volvo Cars reports sales of 47,150 cars in April, down 24.8 per cent compared with the same month last year. Demand is still strong, especially for Volvo Cars’ electrified vehicles and the share of Recharge models as part of total sales continues to increase.
– In April Volvo Cars electrified Recharge models grew 18.7 cent compared with the same month in 2021 accounting for 38.4 per cent of total sales. The share of fully electric cars stood at 10 per cent.
– European sales for April reached 19,822 cars, down 23.2 per cent compared with the same month last year. Volvo’s electrified Recharge sales accounted for 51.4 per cent of the total sales in the region during the month.
– Volvo Cars’ US sales for the month reached 10,022 cars, down 9.2 per cent compared with April last year, with Recharge models making up 44.1 per cent of the total sales.
NORWAY RECONSIDERS ELECTRIC CAR PRIVILEGE
– The Norwegian Ministry of Transport is considering abolishing or reducing privileges for electric vehicles in taxes and tolls in larger cities.
– According to Transport Minister Jon-Ivar Nygård, the reasons are not only lower revenues but also a delay in the transport turnaround. “It’s great that people use electric cars. But it’s not good if people get into their cars and drive to busy urban areas instead of walking, cycling or using public transport,” the transport minister is quoted as saying. However, a final decision on the matter is still pending, the minister told broadcaster NRK.
– According to the current legal situation, the tax rate for electric cars is less than 50 per cent of the tax on comparable petrol or diesel cars. At the time of purchase, there is no value-added tax of 25 per cent. In addition, tolls and parking fees are lower in many places. Subsidies for hybrid cars, on the other hand, have already expired.
– . As NRK reports, there is a lack of money for investments in infrastructure projects or public transport due to declining revenues as the share of electric cars increases.
GM HAS 4 NEW PLANTS IN THE WORKS TO ‘HAVE CONTROL OVER BATTERY CELL MANUFACTURE’: MARY BARRA
– In the years ahead, GM (GM) says, it’s aiming to be a leading manufacturer of batteries as well as cars.
– “For electric vehicles, it’s all about the battery,” CEO Mary Barra told Yahoo Finance in a wide-ranging interview this week.
– The CEO outlined plans to open at least four new plants just to manufacture batteries that power the company’s electric vehicles.
– “We decided that we wanted to have control over battery cell manufacture so we formed a joint venture with LG, one of our partners, and we now have a plant coming online this year in Ohio, another one coming online next year, the following year, and one after that,” she says.
– They have three locations under construction. A Warren, Ohio plant will begin production this August; a Spring Hill, Tennessee location is set to follow in 2023 and one in Lansing, Michigan begins in 2024. The Michigan plant alone is a $2.6 billion investment. According to GM, a fourth plant whose location has yet to be announced will be up and running in 2025.
– The White House got involved in the effort this week, announcing over $3 billion to help companies like GM and others with the battery shortage. Story continues. A Biden official behind the effort noted to Yahoo Finance Monday that automakers will be a key beneficiary.
– A GM spokesperson told Yahoo Finance that the company, which has close ties with the Biden White House, “is actively pursuing opportunities to localize as much of the EV and battery supply chain as possible and, as such, we are reviewing the battery-related Funding Opportunity Announcements authorized by the U.S. Department of Energy under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL).”
RIVIAN’S POLICYMAKING WISH LIST LEANS INTO BATTERY SUPPLY CHAIN
– The U.S. has the mineral resources and industrial capability to create a fully domestic battery EV supply chain, but it will take a massive “all of the above” mobilization of the federal government to make it happen, a Rivian official told Congress.
– Rivian senior director for public policy Chris Nevers testified recently in front of a House Science, Space, and Technology subcommittee. Nevers laid out the electric automaker’s policymaking wish list if the federal government wants to make transportation electrification a priority.
– “The federal government can achieve ambitious electrification objectives by empowering companies to ramp production – this includes accelerating EV testing procedures, expediting and streamlining federal EV fleet requirements, and quickly providing visas for skilled workers,”
– Supply chain challenges are a major constraint on Rivian’s manufacturing plant in Normal, which has over 5,000 workers and is McLean County’s second-largest employer. Production there is expected to hit 25,000 vehicles in 2022 – about half of what it could be if not for a shortage of chips and other materials.
– Rivian’s policymaking wish list for Congress includes:“Increase and accelerate” federal research efforts into new battery cell chemistry development, solid-state batteries, module and pack engineering, software design, and raw material sourcing.Reform domestic mining laws, some of which Rivian says date back to the 1870s, with an emphasis on conflict avoiding and permitting efficiency.Expand the federal consumer EV tax credit “without unnecessary limitations.”Create “exceptions” to state auto dealer franchise laws, which Rivian calls dealership “protection laws.” Rivian is fighting those laws on a state-by-state basis, calling them “one of the biggest barriers to EV adoption in the U.S.”
LEXUS ENGINEERING BOSS: 800-VOLT SYSTEM DONE, ELECTRIC IS THE FUTURE
– In an interview with Lexus chief engineer Takashi Watanabe at a prototype drive for the 2023 Lexus RZ 450e in Barcelona, Spain, Green Car Reports learned about the automaker’s thinking on electrical architectures, charging rates, and the electric future.
– Watanabe said that for the automaker to realistically hit carbon neutrality, battery electric is the proper solution.
– The key will be how efficiently we can manipulate and use electricity. And the challenge is “how small a battery can we get away with to achieve these goals,” Watanabe said.
– When asked if Toyota and Lexus have finished work on an 800-volt electrical architecture, Wantanabe answered quickly: “Yes.” ut the first electric Lexus sold in the U.S., the 2023 RZ 450e, will not feature such an electric architecture or charge rate. The max charge rate of its 71.4-kwh battery pack will be 150 kw and it charges and runs at about 400 volts.
– For Toyota and Lexus it’ll be viewed upon a “case-by-case basis,” Watanabe said.
The breakover point will be about 100 kwh, according to Watanabe. That’s where charging rates will need to be faster and the electrical architecture will benefit from 800 volts.
– When asked what is possible in terms of upgrading the RZ, or other electric cars, via over-the-air updates Watanabe said, “right now we’re not trying to put any limitations or restrictions on what’s possible through OTA.”
The executive elaborated by saying for instance electric motor control, charging, supporting systems, or new value services can all be enhanced using OTA technology.
DS ELECTRIC PROTOTYPE POINTS TO A FUTURE OF CARS WITHOUT CONVENTIONAL BRAKES
– Parisian luxury carmaker DS Automobiles has developed a prototype electric vehicle that uses only electric motor regeneration instead of conventional brakes – showcasing a potential future on electric vehicles. Using technology from the brand’s Formula E race car, the DS E TENSE PERFORMANCE uses two onboard electric motors to slow the vehicle entirely through regenerative braking, up to 600 kW.
– Though regenerative braking is already available in most electric vehicles, the technology is currently used to complement conventional friction brakes – however DS is exploring whether regenerative braking alone could eventually be the sole method to slow cars down, helping to better recharge the battery in the process, and doing away with conventional brake discs and pads.
– The DS E TENSE PERFORMANCE has been developed in conjunction with the brand’s championship winning Formula E team and uses the same electric motors that can be found in the electric race cars.
SAMSUNG SDI TO ROLL OUT NEXT-GENERATION BATTERIES IN 2023
– South Korean battery maker Samsung SDI said Thursday it would roll out solid-state batteries early next year in its pilot production line near Seoul.
– Samsung SDI originally noted that it would commercially launch solid-state batteries in 2027. But the pilot project is expected to accelerate the commercial launch.
– Last month, Samsung SDI started to build facilities for the pilot project, which is planned to churn out solid-state batteries in its research center in Suwon, some 20 miles south of Seoul.
– Daelim University automotive professor Kim Pil-soo told UPI News Korea.
– “As solid-state batteries have higher energy density than lithium-ion batteries, they can substantially increase the EV mileage. But the related technology has been elusive to develop, which means many battery makers struggled to make advances in the field. It remains to be seen whether Samsung SDI will be able to make a breakthrough, but the pilot project is meaningful,” he said.
TESLA MODEL Y WITH LARGER BATTERY IS COMING AND CHEAPER THAN YOU EXPECT
– Disney+ has arrived on UK Tesla cars.
– Having already been added to the Tesla Theatre app in the US last year and Australia in April, the streaming service is now available to Tesla owners in Britain as part of the latest software update.
– It joins the likes of YouTube, Netflix and other platforms that can be viewed on the in-car infotainment system while parked.
– To access Disney+ in your Tesla, make sure you have the latest software update installed and you are parked. Then select the Application Launcher on the centre display, then Entertainment and, finally, Tesla Theatre. Disney+ should be there to access. Sign in and away you go.
STUDY FINDS REDUCTION OF LOW-FREQUENCY NOISE FROM TRANSITION TO ELECTRIC BUSES IMPROVED RESIDENTS’ HEALTH – Green Car Congress
– The health of residents living alongside a bus route in Gothenburg, Sweden, improved when hybrid buses were replaced by buses fully powered by electricity. Accompanying the lower noise levels from bus traffic was a reduction of fatigue, day time sleepiness and low mood, a study at the University of Gothenburg shows
– Noise levels from the preceding system of bus transportation had been perceived as disturbing, especially on the uphill stretches. Previous noise-level measurements had indicated that disturbance from low-frequency noise in indoor environments was present in the residential area.
Original Source : https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220502-gothenburg.html
THE HOTEL THAT LETS YOU CHARGE YOUR EV – ON YOUR BALCONY
Electric car owners have spent many an hour researching hotels with easy access to electric charging points. Now a new hotel in Frankfurt, Germany can promise you total peace of mind – by taking your car in your room so you can plug it in.
The B’Mine at Frankfurt Hotel is Europe’s first hotel to offer balcony parking and has 40 rooms which allow you to park your car on the balcony – no matter which of its eight residential floors you are on – and every parking space comes complete with a 22kW charging point.
The hotel opened in April 2022, and offers a lift service for cars in 40 rooms.
Although guests in the 241-room hotel can park elsewhere in the vicinity, Spitzner argues that the ‘car loft’ concept is actually space and cost-efficient. “The cost for us to build and operate it is actually not that different to that of an underground car park, and it offers the added benefits of allowing you to go to your room without unpacking, and to keep everything super-secure,” he says.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns on Monday 9th May! If you have a suggestions, let me know.
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT