Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Thursday 5th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
FISKER TEASES ITS THIRD MODEL, A GRAND TOURER CALLED RONIN
– Production of Fisker’s first new electric vehicle, the Ocean crossover, is set to begin this November, but before the Ocean officially arrives Fisker has already announced what it hopes will become its third model. Dubbed Project Ronin, the vehicle will be an electric sports car with seating for four and dramatic proportions, as revealed by the accompanying teaser image.
– Development of the grand touring sports car began last year, and Fisker’s lofty goal is for the Ronin to have “the world’s longest range for a production EV.” That means it will have to beat the Lucid Air, which is rated to deliver up to 520 miles of range by the EPA. Fisker claims that Project Ronin will have “an innovative battery design” that incorporates the battery pack into the structure of the vehicle. The sports car will also feature active aerodynamics and lightweight materials.
– Fisker says that Project Ronin will be fully unveiled in August 2023, with production beginning in the second half of 2024. Before then, Fisker is expected to reveal its second crossover, the Pear, with sales also planned for 2024.
Original Source : https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39904642/fisker-third-model-ronin/
PORSCHE BETS BIG ON SILICON FOR NEXT-GEN EV BATTERIES
– Porsche on Wednesday announced a $100 million investment in Group14 Technologies, a company working to manufacture silicon battery anodes. This is part of a larger Series C funding round, of which Porsche is the lead investor, totaling $400 million overall.
– Cellforce Group, a joint venture in which Porsche is a major partner, seeks to use Group14’s silicon-anode technology and produce high-performance battery cells for electric vehicles.
– With production slated to begin in 2024, it’ll start producing cells in small batches, enough for approximately 1,000 vehicles per year. Motorsports and other high-performance applications are Porsche’s first targets to take advantage of Group14’s tech. But silicon anodes have the potential to improve every EV.
– “The characteristic properties of the new cell chemistry — fast charging, high performance and low weight — pay dividends directly into the Porsche brand core,” said Michael Steiner, Porsche’s board member overseeing research and development, in a statement. “They are virtually in line with the development goals that we are writing in the specifications for our prospective electric sports cars.”
TESLA MODEL S WITH MOTORIZED TILTING SCREEN SPOTTED IN THE WILD
– A Model S with a factory-equipped motorized, swiveling center screen has been spotted in the wild thanks to a video posted to Twitter by Larry Li. In it, Li can be seen tilting the display from center, to left, and then to right, with the tap of a button on the screen
– A swiveling center screen represents a small quality-of-life improvement for Tesla owners. Rather than the display being static, and positioned so that both the driver and passengers can see it, it can be moved for optimum visibility by the driver when operating the vehicle, or by a passenger when parked, for example.
– Even more perplexing, a recent teardown showed that the Model S already has most of the hardware required to offer a swiveling screen, but without the motor to actually move it. It’s led to speculation that parts shortages have until now prevented Tesla from offering the feature in its cars.
– In replies to his original tweet, Li confirmed that the swiveling display is not an aftermarket mod but was “from [the] Tesla factory” and that the Model S shown in the video was delivered on April 29th. Host of the Tesla podcast Ride the Lightning Ryan McCaffrey recently tweeted that the latest Model S and Model X cars rolling off Tesla’s factory lines are equipped with the hardware to support the feature.
CADILLAC LYRIQ PROMISES 500 HP FROM DUAL-MOTOR AWD SETUP
– Cadillac has only detailed the base single-motor powertrain for the new 2023 Lyriq electric SUV so far. But now we know that the dual-motor, all-wheel-drive version will offer an estimated 500 horsepower, as Cadillac shared that figure on an Instagram Q&A session today.
– While the base 340-hp single-motor Lyriq RWD starts at $59,990, we assume that the dual-motor variant will cost a fair bit more than that to start.
– Cadillac will open orders for the 2023 Lyriq starting May 19, but the initial production run will include only the single-motor Lyriq Debut Edition form that comes only in silver or black and doesn’t offer many option choices.
FORD PATENT FILED FOR PORTABLE HIGH-VOLTAGE EV CHARGING SYSTEM
– Ford Motor Company has filed a patent for a portable high-voltage EV charging system, Ford Authority has learned.
– As Ford notes in the patent, EVs can run out of energy in the middle of a trip, much like an ICE-powered vehicle can run out of gas. However, while ICE vehicles can be refueled via a gas can, no simple solution currently exists for all-electric vehicles, which are generally towed to a charging station in the event that they run out of energy in a remote location.
– This new Ford patent details a potential solution for that problem – a portage charging system that can provide enough energy for an EV to reach the next charging location, whether that be a charging station or their home. The system itself is designed to be light enough that someone can pick it up and put it in the back of a truck or another vehicle – or, at the very least, move it with a dolly or hand cart.
EX-HYUNDAI R&D BOSS ALBERT BIERMANN DRIVES 2023 IONIQ 6 PROTOTYPE
– One of the most important EV reveals of 2022, the Ioniq 6 is almost ready for prime time. Meanwhile, the electric sedan has been spied during final testing after juicing up its battery at a charging station
– We can see none other than Albert Biermann, former President and Head of the Research and Development (R&D) Division for the Hyundai Group. Currently serving as the automotive conglomerate’s Executive Technical Advisor, the man responsible for sporty cars like the i30 N and Kia Stinger hopped behind the wheel of the Ioniq 6.
– Hyundai will allegedly unveil the 2023 Ioniq 6 in June and kick off production about a month later at its Asan Plant in South Korea. At launch, the top-spec model is rumored to have all-wheel drive and around 300 horsepower from dual electric motors.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/583640/hyundai-albert-biermann-ioniq-6/
CONN. UNLIKELY TO ALLOW TESLA TO SELL DIRECTLY TO CONSUMERS
– The so-called “Tesla bill” that would allow the electric-vehicle manufacturer and similar startups to sell directly to consumers in Connecticut has run out of time and is unlikely to become law this year, the sponsor of the legislation said Monday.
– State Sen. Will Haskell, D-Westport, led the campaign for direct sales of electric vehicles this year as co-chair of the Transportation Committee, but predicted the bill’s demise with less than three days left before lawmakers adjourn the session Wednesday night.
– Haskell’s legislation would have exempted electric vehicle manufacturers without an existing franchise partnership in Connecticut from the law, while other automakers like Ford and Toyota would have had to continue under the existing model.That prompted critics of the bill to accuse supporters of offering special treatment to companies like Tesla, which by some measures is the most valuable car company in the world.
2022 TESLA MODEL 3 PERFORMANCE SHINES IN 70 MPH RANGE TEST
– In one of the latest tests, Out of Spec Reviews’ Kyle Conner checks a brand new, 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance in a stock wheel configuration.
– As usual, the car was tested at a constant speed of 70 mph (113 km/h). Kyle Conner assumed that it has about an 82 kWh battery pack, out of which about 3 kWh is a buffer, so he ran the test basically to a point at which the car’s display showed 79 kWh consumed
– The result of the trip is 280 miles (451 km), including the last miles covered around the fast charging station at lower speeds. The average energy consumption displayed by the car was 282 Wh/mile (175 Wh/km).
– lower than the 315 miles (507 km) EPA Combined range value (by 35 miles or 11%),
WULING HONGGUANG MINI EV REVIEW: CHEAP ELECTRIC CITY CAR
– The mini EV costs around $5,000 new. It would cost more to spec the cigar humidor glove box option on a Rolls-Royce or add Apple CarPlay to a Ferrari than to buy the Mini EV outright.
– This EV is not available outside China, but we got behind the wheel of the “luxury” Macaron version in China to see if this super-cheap electric car was any good, and what US and European manufacturers could learn about how to make more affordable electric cars.
– the instrument panel is a full-color digital screen. This screen offers basic information such as speed, range, and electricity consumption, along with a natty 3D rendering of the Mini EV. The Macaron version gains a reversing camera, which the screen also shows.
– Powering the rear wheels is an electric motor delivering 20 kW (27 hp) and 85 Nm of torque. Sport seems to be the better of the two modes, providing not only slightly smarter acceleration but also more noticeable braking regeneration.
– There’s a choice between 9.3- and 13.8-kWh battery packs, which are good for ranges of 75 miles (120 km) and 106 miles (170 km), respectively, under the already generous NEDC standard.
– With no fast-charging capability, you really are stuck using the Mini EV as a city car.
– Astonishingly, the company is reportedly making less than $14 profit on each car.
Original Source : https://www.wired.com/story/review-wuling-hongguang-mini-ev/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns on Monday 9th May! If you have a suggestions, let me know.
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT