Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Wednesday 4th May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
VW’S 2022 SUPPLY OF EVS IS ‘BASICALLY SOLD OUT’ IN THE US AND EUROPE
– Volkswagen’s CEO, Herbert Diess, says that the company is “basically sold out on electric vehicles in Europe and in the United States” for the year, according to a report from the Financial Times. This means that anyone hoping to get an EV from VW, Audi, or any of the group’s other brands may have to wait until 2023, as the company tries to navigate the chip shortage and production issues from COVID shutdowns in China.
– According to the report, VW expects its backlog of orders to keep growing. It currently has plenty of people on the list waiting to get an EV and expects to add more throughout the year.
– According to the Financial Times, VW sold just under 100,000 electric cars in Q1 2022. Tesla, according to its latest earnings, sold around 310,000 in the same time period.
– When Diess spoke to The Verge earlier this year, he said that the company is trying to grow its presence in America. In his Decoder interview, he said that he expected the company’s growth in the States to “mostly come from EVs,” though he did admit the company would likely see supply constraints throughout 2022.
Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/4/23057268/volkswagen-vw-electric-cars-sold-out-supply-chain
VOLKSWAGEN SOLD ~99K EVS OUT OF 1.9M IN Q1
– Volkswagen recently released its January-March 2022 interim report, reporting 1.9 million vehicle sales and deliveries in the first quarter. VW’s all-electric vehicle sales and deliveries made up 5.2% of total deliveries, amounting to 99,064 EVs.
– Volkswagen is specifically interested in growing in the United States with plans to build a dedicated battery cell production factory in the country. The German automaker announced a $1.7 billion commitment to boosting its BEV product lineup, R&D, and manufacturing in North America.
– The legacy automaker aims to achieve 10% market share in North America by 2030 as it bolsters expansion in global growth markets. Battery-electric vehicles are central to its goals. VW plans to have more than 25 electric vehicles in its BEV portfolio by the end of the decade.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/volkswagen-electric-vehicle-sales-q1-2022/
CARIAD SELECTS QUALCOMM’S SNAPDRAGON RIDE PLATFORM
– Volkswagen Group’s software unit CARIAD announced on Tuesday that it has selected Qualcomm Technologies to supply system-on-chips (SoCs) for its vehicle software platform designed to deliver up to SAE level-4 autonomous driving capabilities.
– Volkswagen believes that a vehicle’s software and hardware must be perfectly matched in order to achieve the best possible performance and efficiency of central computer systems in the long term.
– Qualcomm’s Snapdragon Ride platform was first announced at CES in Jan 2020. Since its unveiling, it has gained momentum with global automakers and Tier 1 suppliers worldwide for its robust capabilities. It’s also being adopted by BMW.
– In March, Volkswagen announced the addition of anonymous “swarm data” from other Volkswagen vehicles to help its advanced driver assist systems make better decisions over time, such as performing automatic lane changes. The addition of swarm data marks the next step towards vehicle systems that support fully-automated driving, according to Volkswagen.
– Among its features, it can automatically keep the vehicle in the center of the lane, but can also adapt to an individual’s driving style, including driving further to the left or right of the lane instead of exactly in the middle.
Original Source : https://www.futurecar.com/5381/Volkswagens-Software-Unit-CARIAD-Selects-Qualcomms-Snapdragon-Ride-Platform-to-Enable-Autonomous-Driving-Functions-in-Future-Vehicles
FORD MOTOR APRIL U.S. VEHICLE SALES DOWN 10.5%; ELECTRIC VEHICLE SALES UP 139%
– Ford Motor Company (F) posted total U.S. vehicle sales of 176,965 units for the month of April, a decline of 10.5% from a year ago. Retail sales were down 12.3%, for the month. Trucks sales were down 17.8% to 79,768. SUVs were up 2.7% to 92,809. Sales of Ford electric vehicles increased 139 percent over last year on the strength of Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit sales.
Original Source : https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/ford-motor-april-u.s.-vehicle-sales-down-10.5-electric-vehicle-sales-up-139
MUSTANG MACH-E GETS BOOST
– Ford’s Mustang Mach-E receives a boost in braked towing capacity to 1,000 kg for extended range models in both rear wheel drive and all-wheel drive
– The Mustang Mach-E also received updates to reduce the charging time between 80-90 per cent capacity from 52 minutes to 15 minutes, a recalibration of the one-pedal driving feature for even smoother performance at lower speeds and enhancements to driver comfort.
– Now on sale in Europe for over one year, the Mustang Mach-E continues to win fans. Around 88 per cent of customers to-date have moved from other car brands to Ford to experience the fun-to-drive characteristics, bold styling and driving range of the vehicle.
Existing owners can also benefit from many of the recent upgrades through software or homologation updates, with future over-the-air updates planned to keep the Mustang Mach-E continuously improving.
Original Source : https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2022/05/03/mustang-mach-e-gets-towing-capacity-boost-as-fords-all-electric-.html
2023 POLESTAR 2 PRICING INCREASES, UPDATED EPA RANGE ANNOUNCED
– Polestar has announced the US pricing of the 2023 Polestar 2, along with other updates that go with the new model year. As far as the numbers go, there’s an increase – though it’s important to note that the company has also given the fastback EV substantial updates, including an increase in vehicle range.
– The 2023 Polestar 2 Single Motor now starts at $48,400 – a $1,200 increase from before. The Dual Motor variant now starts at $51,900. Both prices are before the applicable $1,400 destination charge and Federal Tax Credit valued at $7,500.
– Polestar 2 Dual Motor gets a bump, with a preliminary estimated 260-mile US EPA range. This increase is thanks to software improvements, implementing an 11-mile increase from the 2022 model year. The 2023 Polestar 2 Single Motor model is still rated at 270 miles by EPA.
– The US-spec Polestar 2 will have an upgraded heat pump designed for better cold-weather performance, new design options across the interior and exterior of the car, and a more advanced air quality sensor.
– There’s a new performance software upgrade for the Performance Pack for the 2023 model year. The upgrade adds 68 horsepower and 15 lb-ft of torque to the car. The Performance Pack is only available for the dual-motor variant, but will also be available to purchase as a separate software upgrade for both existing and future dual-motor cars, with and without the Performance Pack.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/583855/2023-polestar-2-pricing-range/
2022 BMW I4 M50 CALLED AN ELECTRIC M3 RIVAL BY DOUG DEMURO
– YouTube influencer Doug DeMuro takes a close look at the former model in range-topping M50 guise in his latest video. The BMW i4 M50 is a dual motor, all-wheel-drive electric fastback sedan that makes 536 horsepower and 586 lb-ft of torque and is capable of sprinting from 0 to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds and reaching a top speed of 130 mph.
– 83.9-kWh high-voltage lithium-ion battery pack that enables a driving range of up to 270 miles with the smallest wheels. It’s priced from $65,900, making it some $3,000 more expensive than a Tesla Model 3 Performance.
– As DeMuro found out, the i4 M50 doesn’t disappoint if you don’t think of it as a full-blown M car. It’s really quick—it feels quicker than 3.7 seconds to 60 mph—and it’s fun to drive in corners. However, because of the added weight of the batteries, it doesn’t feel as agile and planted in turns as a similarly priced BMW M3.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/583836/2022-bmw-i4-m50-called-electric-m3-rival-doug-demuro/
OSPREY TO EXPAND UK NETWORK WITH DC CHARGERS FROM TRITIUM
– Tritium has announced a deal to supply over 250 rapid chargers to the Osprey Charging Network. The 150 kW chargers will equip 100 new locations and expand Osprey’s UK network by 50 per cent. The move follows Osprey’s December 2021 announcement of ordering another 100 Tritium chargers.
– Osprey has been working with Tritium since April 2021, when Osprey announced the installation of its first RTM75 charger and followed with another 100 Tritium chargers in December that year. Osprey’s announcement today to deploy an additional 250 Tritium chargers illustrated “the relationship growth that is occurring with Tritium’s most valued customers,” so the Australian manufacturer.
– It also means Osprey is stepping up from the 75 kW delivered by the RTM line to the 150 kW the PKM series can provide. Osprey plans to roll out 150 rapid charging hubs by 2024 as part of a £75 million investment programme.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/05/03/osprey-to-expand-uk-network-with-dc-chargers-from-tritium/
AUCKLAND HARBOUR GOES ELECTRIC
– Auckland harbour ferries are set to get quieter, cleaner and greener, thanks to two new fully-electric ferries for commuters and sightseers to travel on, New Zealand Minister for Energy and Resources Dr Megan Woods has announced.
– Auckland Transport will operate the two electric fast ferries across all major inner and mid-harbour services, and the new ferries will provide a pathway for further ferry electrification in the future.
– The ferries will have propulsion and control technologies from Hamilton Jet – a leading NZ exporter and innovator in marine propulsion systems. The ferries will have a top speed of 25 knots (on par with today’s diesel ferries) with a range of 40km.
Original Source : https://www.electricvehiclesresearch.com/articles/26578/auckland-harbour-goes-electric
OFFSHORE CONSTRUCTION BEGINS ON DOGGER BANK OFFSHORE WIND FARM
– The team building Dogger Bank Wind Farm has officially marked the start of its offshore construction work with the installation of the first length of HVDC export cable off the Yorkshire coast.
– NKT is leading the work to install the Dogger Bank A nearshore cable, that will connect the first phase of the windfarm more than 130km off the coast to a landfall point at Ulrome, in East Riding of Yorkshire
– The campaign will continue during 2022, with work starting on the export cables for Dogger Bank B in East Riding, and Dogger Bank C on Teesside, in the consecutive years. NKT will supply and install the onshore and offshore HVDC cable for all three phases of the project. The company will use its cable-laying vessel NKT Victoria to install the 320kV DC subsea cable system.
– Dogger Bank Wind Farm will be the first HVDC connected wind farm in the UK. Dogger Bank Wind Farm is being built in three phases known as A, B and C.
Original Source : https://www.windtech-international.com/projects-and-contracts/offshore-construction-begins-on-dogger-bank-offshore-wind-farm
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns on Monday 9th May! If you have a suggestions, let me know.
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT