Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 2nd May, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
RIVIAN WINS $1.5 BILLION IN STATE INCENTIVES FOR GEORGIA PLANT
– $1.5 billion in state and local incentives to build a massive plant near Atlanta, bolstering the company’s production efforts despite local resistance to the project.
– the biggest in Georgia history, consists of tax credits, abatements and subsidies like site preparation and job training support from the state, according to a statement by the Georgia Department of Economic Development on Monday.
– Rivian will get $476 million in statutory tax credits if it fulfills its promise to create a total of 7,500 jobs by the end of 2028. If it doesn’t, there are clawbacks to protect the taxpayer, said Pat Wilson, Georgia’s commissioner of economic development. Georgia is putting in another $288 million in discretionary spending in the form of site preparation and job training programs. Tax abatements from the four counties hosting the plant make up the rest of the package — about $700 million over 25 years.
– Rivian’s investment would be the biggest economic development project in Georgia since at least World War II.
– Rivian has pledged to create more than 7,500 jobs, with the eventual goal of producing 450,000 vehicles annually at the site. Rivian will pay workers an average annual wage of $56,000, and the project will create nearly 8,000 indirect jobs, according to the state.
RIVIAN’S RIPENING: EV AUTOMAKER BEGINS BUILDING CANADIAN SERVICE NETWORK
– Rivian has started building its service network in Canada as the electric vehicle maker prepares to deliver its first vehicles in the Canadian market this summer.
– Automotive News Canada reported Friday that Rivian has begun recruiting staff for its Vancouver service centre, though it would not elaborate on how many services centres it planned for Canada.
– Rivian touts a network of Rivian-owned and Rivian-certified independent collision centres that handle bodywork and exterior damage.
– R1T and R1S vehicles are scheduled to be delivered to Canadian customers this July.
EUROPE CAN SECURE ENOUGH BATTERY METALS FOR AN EV-DRIVEN FUTURE | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS EUROPE
– Europe’s dependence on Russian oil puts $285 million a day in Putin’s pocket. If not Russia, we will be reliant on autocratic regimes such as Saudi Arabia or Iran unless we drastically cut our oil consumption.
– Julia Poliscanova is senior director for vehicles and e-mobility at Transport & Environment.
– Some claim that ramping up electrification in the 2020s is not possible because there are not enough metals such as lithium available to build the lithium-ion batteries that propel them.
A new T&E report, out today, shows that wrong political priorities, not raw material shortages, are the problem.
– The maximum volumes of battery quality nickel (nickel sulfate) and lithium (both hydroxide and carbonate) expected to be mined and refined globally until 2025 are enough to produce 14 million electric cars already next year.
– This is 55 percent more than the amount of EVs forecast by LMC Automotive to be sold globally in 2023.
– Even if the raw materials market becomes tighter by 2025, 21 million battery electric cars can be produced in that year, still almost 50 percent more than market forecasts.
– This shows that the electric car market is not constrained by the supply of raw materials
– Rather, it is the European car CO2 regulation that dictates how many EVs automakers make.
– China and its companies are in a race to secure global lithium assets and expand battery production at home and abroad. Meanwhile the U.S. has invoked the Defense Production Act to boost the supply of critical raw materials.
– Instead, Europe is flying to Qatar and Iran and is using its diplomatic muscle to secure oil and gas.
ENOUGH NICKEL, LITHIUM FOR 14 MLN EVS IN 2023 – EUROPEAN CLIMATE GROUP
– Prices of EV battery materials have soared over the last year, with battery-grade nickel breaking fresh records after the invasion of Ukraine as Russia is a major nickel producer.
– Some analysts have warned of short-term battery-supply bottlenecks as the auto industry rapidly accelerates production of zero-emission cars, which could then be followed by a glut as a plethora of mining and battery plant projects come online.
Tesla’s second assembly line near Shanghai Gigafactory to add 450,000 units of annual capacity
– Tesla has picked a location to build its second production line in Shanghai near its existing Gigafactory 3, which would consolidate the production base’s role as its “largest export hub” globally, according to a letter the electric carmaker wrote to local authorities and seen by the Post.
– The carmaker said the new assembly line will have an annual capacity of 450,000 units and will make Model 3 and Model Y vehicles when the first phase of construction is completed
– Its existing Giga Shanghai plant built 484,130 Model 3 and Model Y vehicles in 2021, representing 51.7 per cent of its global total of 936,000 units.
TESLA SAYS IT WILL TURN SHANGHAI INTO ‘THE WORLD’S LARGEST VEHICLE EXPORT HUB’ WITH NEW FACTORY
– Back in February, there were several indications that Tesla planned to use the land next to Giga Shanghai to build either a brand new factory or a major expansion to the existing plant.
There’s no clear timeline for the expansion, but it looks like it will bring Tesla’s capacity in Shanghai to 1 million cars per year once completed.
– Along with Giga Shanghai, Tesla is also simultaneously planning a similar capacity in Berlin and Texas, but the company plans to also start with a capacity of 500,000 vehicles per year at each factory. We are talking about 1.5 to 2.5 million vehicles of annual production capacity to be added in the next two to three years.
ELON MUSK SAYS WORLD WILL CHOOSE BATTERIES OVER HYDROGEN
– Musk was responding to a quote tweet of an article published in Universal-Sci.com that delved into research by the University of Berkeley. The research concluded that a photovoltaic array that uses compressed hydrogen for energy storage is the best solution. The finding was based on a study of several methods to produce energy on Mars.
– The surplus electricity can be used to generate hydrogen from water and then be stored in pressurized vessels from which energy can be drawn at a later moment using fuel cells, according to the research.
– Musk took exception to this and suggested that this isn’t true and that the world will choose batteries.
World and Science on Twitter: “Interestingly when it comes to the storage of surplus energy, the scientists lean towards hydrogen as hydrogen can also be used to create ammonia for fertilizers when combined with nitrogen.”
Elon Musk on Twitter: “@WorldAndScience Not true. Overwhelmingly, the world will choose batteries.” / Twitter
Original Source : https://twitter.com/WorldAndScience/status/1520936409913303040
Prof Ray Willis – “Yes, renewables from wind & solar, supported by batteries, & also for battery electric vehicles – available and affordable now. Hydrogen not a transport solution here now, but a distraction – pursuit of hydrogen diverts from real action today”
Original Source : https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1520962641308823552
VOLVO HEAVY DUTY ELECTRIC TRUCK LINEUP NOW OFFICIALLY ON SALE
– Volvo Trucks has just announced the sales start for its three-strong lineup of electric trucks, the FH, FM and FMX. Tractor models will enter production first, but rigid versions will join them towards the end of 2022, giving the truck manufacturer the widest range of heavy duty electric vehicles in Europe
– According to Roger Alm, President of Volvo Trucks, This is a milestone for Volvo Trucks. There is a lot of interest from customers to place orders for these fantastic trucks. Until now we have mainly offered customers and partners to sign letters of intent to buy, but now we start to sign firm orders, which is a major step forward for electrification.
– In total, with the three new additions, Volvo Trucks has a total of six electric trucks (albeit all just electric versions of diesel trucks for now), but it wants half of the trucks it makes to be electric by 2030.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/583557/volvo-fh-fm-fmx-electric-sales-start/
GM’S BARRA: “WE CAN REENTER EUROPE AS AN ALL-EV PLAYER.”
– General Motors CEO Mary Barra is ready to return to Europe as electric vehicle sales there soar.
– Europe is the second largest electric vehicle market in the world next to China, analysts say, and on Monday Barra confirmed the automaker’s plan to increase its presence on the continent
– “About five years ago, we sold our Opel business to what is now Stellantis and we have no seller’s remorse from an internal combustion business,” Barra said during an appearance at the Milken Global Conference in Los Angeles. “But we are looking at the growth opportunity that we have now, because we can reenter Europe as an all-EV player. I’m looking forward to that.”
– The sale freed GM to focus and invest in vehicles for North America and China, markets where GM has historically made profits.
CHINA EV GIANT BYD SALES HIT RECORD HIGH, DEFYING COVID LOCKDOWNS
– China EV and battery giant BYD (BYDDF) set a new sales record in April, rising slightly vs. March and quadrupling vs. a year earlier.
– BYD sold 106,042 new energy vehicles (NEV) in April, a record and up 1% from March’s 104,878.
– BYD, which makes its own chips and batteries, may have been more insulated from supply snarls.
As of the end of March, BYD shifted to producing only hybrid and electric vehicles, ditching pure gas and diesel cars.
– Nio sold 5,074 vehicles in April, off 49% from March and down 29% vs. a year earlier. Production was shut down for part of the month as new Covid-19 outbreaks hit suppliers’ output and shipments.
– Xpeng sold 9,002 vehicles in April, down 42% from March but up 75% vs. a year earlier.
– That backs up Deutsche Bank analyst Edison Yu, who wrote on April 27 that Xpeng had been less affected by Covid lockdowns than other China EV startups.
VOLKSWAGEN SUBSIDIARY SKODA’S ELECTRIC ENYAQ MIGHT BE TOO SUCCESSFUL
– Skoda, owned by Volkswagen, and are beginning to encroach on VW brand territory. And particularly so if you look at the success of Skoda’s electric SUV, the Enyaq.
– Last year from a standing start, Skoda sold almost 42,000 all-electric Enyaqs to take 7th place in the Western European sales league, about 10,000 below the VW ID.4 SUV in 4th place and the VW ID.3 sedan’s almost 68,000 (3rd), according to Schmidt Automotive Research.
– Enyaq prices are as high as VW’s, but not by much, and the iV80 Founders Edition, of which more later, sells in Britain for £48,415
– Skoda’s next 3 electric cars are expected to be positioned below the Enyaq and will include a small car, and this will lessen its impact on VW electric products.
– Analysts at French auto consultancy Inovev said manufacturers appear to be happy to sell less volume with higher profits per car.
– At the bottom end of the market, the Citroen Ami and Renault Twizzy are too limited in performance to generate many sales. Chinese vehicles like the Wuling Hong Guang Mini, the best-selling electric vehicle in the world, could be modified for European use.
– Meanwhile, Skoda’s first electric vehicle has been enthusiastically received and this Founders Edition will turn heads with its big wheels, illuminated grille, glossy black trim with bronze wing-mirrors, while its “crystal face” grille which lights up, wireless phone charging and snazzy interior will remind us that this Volkswagen subsidiary is no longer a cheap and cheerful value brand.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns on Monday 9th May! If you have a suggestions, let me know.
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
MILLBROOKCOTTAGES.CO.UK – 5* LUXURY COTTAGES IN DEVON, JUMP IN THE HOT TUB WHILST YOUR EV CHARGES
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT