Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Saturday 30th April, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
THE FORD F-150 LIGHTNING ELECTRIC TRUCK HAS MORE POWER THAN WE THOUGHT!
– Ford just announced that the power and payload ratings it had specified for the Lightning pickup are wrong. Luckily, they’re “wrong” in the right direction—meaning the final horsepower and payload figures for the F-150 Lightning area actually better than expected.
– originally was quoted as offering 426 hp with the standard-range pack and 563 with the juicier extended-range setup. Ford now says the standard-range model packs 452 hp, up 26 hp from Ford’s “targeted” number, and the extended-range version doles out a mighty 580 hp, up 17 hp
– it makes the standard-range Lightning the most powerful F-150 pickup ever
– Ford also says the F-150 Lightning’s payload figures have been revised upward, though less impressively so than the horsepower numbers. Certain, unspecified versions of the Lightning can “now haul an extra 235 pounds,” per Ford, lifting the maximum one of the electric trucks can carry to 2,235 pounds.
- Original Source : https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-f-150-lightning-revised-power-payload-ratings/
FORD’S NEXT-GEN ELECTRIC TRUCK WILL HAVE ACTIVE AERO, MORE RANGE
– Ford launched the F-150 Lightning earlier this week, and company CEO Jim Farley hinted at what is to come next. He let slip that the company’s Tennessee manufacturing facility would produce a different type of F-Series pickup when production started there in a few years.
– he did speak with Laycee from the Miss GoElectric YouTube Channel, who revealed on the latest InsideEVs.com podcast episode (34:44 mark) that the new pickup would have a radical design that some could find controversial.
– Farley told her that the new electric pickup would feature active and deployable aero similar to a semi-truck, with the design focusing on maximizing efficiency.
– The new truck would allegedly cost about $7,000 more than the F-150 Lightning and offer about 100 miles more of range. That means the Ford could offer 400-plus miles (643-plus kilometers). The current F-150 Lightning can deliver up to 320 miles (514 km). Ford has spent the last two years developing this new truck.
– Ford will produce the new pickup at its manufacturing complex in Tennessee.
– Blue Oval City, will produce the next generation of electric F-Series trucks and batteries. The site will have three gigafactories. The complex will see operations begin in 2025, so it could be a bit before we see this new pickup.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/582926/ford-next-electric-truck-aero-range/
LUCID CEO MADE OVER $260 MILLION IN PERFORMANCE-BASED AWARDS IN 2021
– Lucid Group CEO Peter Rawlinson earned more than $260 million in performance-based awards last year
– In March 2021, Lucid Group’s board awarded Rawlinson about 13.8 million time-based units of stock that vest over four years beginning at the end of 2021, plus 16 million performance-based stock units.
– The entire award was valued by the company at a whopping $556 million, according to a filing on April 28. Rawlinson’s $263 million payday is one of the largest compensation packages paid to any executive in 2021.
– The company’s market value remained high enough over a six-month period for Rawlinson to collect four of the five tranches of performance-based units, according to the filing.
– Lucid Group recently said it needed more cash to fund its plans, which include a second factory in Saudi Arabia, expected to open in 2025. The company raised $2 billion in convertible debt in December, but Bloomberg Intelligence forecasts that the startup may have to sell more stock to raise the necessary funds.
SHELL AWARDS ANOTHER CHARGING INFRASTRUCTURE FRAMEWORK CONTRACT TO ABB
– ABB has signed a new global framework agreement with Shell to supply its complete portfolio of AC and DC charging stations. The products range from the AC wallbox for homes, businesses and retail to the Terra 360 HPC charging point.
– Shell reportedly intends to operate 500,000 charging points worldwide by 2025. By 2030, this number is to increase to 2.5 million. To achieve this, the oil company needs one thing above all: lots of charging points.
– Shell does not provide any further details on this in the strategy, so it is unclear which markets they will cover with how many charge points. Going by past activities, Shell has been active in several markets, reaching across Europe and even Canada. Recent acquisitions or attempts include NEw Motion and Ubitricity and Shell is a partner of Ionity.
BIG OIL WANTS A PIECE OF THE ELECTRIC VEHICLE PIE
– The likes of Shell, TotalEnergies, ExxonMobil, Equinor, and BP are all backing EV projects as they expand their portfolios to include non-traditional energy sectors.
– In Europe, Shell has been just one of the oil majors to expand its EV charging network over the last year. Shell’s subsidiary, ubitricity – standing for ubiquitous electricity – is using innovative technologies to enhance access to EV charging stations by powering cars across cities through lamp posts. Shell’s public charging network, Shell Recharge, expects to have over 500,000 charging points globally by 2025, establishing locations across supermarkets, street-charging points, and EV hubs.
– Shell is also leading by example by establishing an EV charging hub in London, replacing its petrol and diesel pumps with ultra-rapid 175kW charge points
– Last year, Equinor also announced a $130-million investment in Solid Power, a U.S. firm developing all-solid-state batteries (ASSBs) for electric vehicles. The BMW Group and Ford have also partnered with Solid Power to acquire ASSBs for their new EV models. Equinor believes the development of ASSBs could provide lower-cost EV batteries to the market.
– This April, BP sent EV stock soaring with the announcement of a multi-year contract with Tritium. Tritium will provide almost 1,000 chargers for the U.K., Australian, and New Zealand markets.
BYD IS CLOSER TO 1 TWH THAN TESLA: CAPACITY ALREADY SURPASSED 500 GWH
– In April 2020, Elon Musk suggested Tesla plants would not be named Gigafactories anymore. They would be called Terafactories, implying they would deliver more than 1 TWh in battery packs. With the 4680 cell delays, BYD is closer to achieving 1 TWh than Tesla.
– Bridget McCarthy mapped all the cell plants BYD currently has and concluded it has an amazing installed capacity above 500 GWh. To be more precise, we’re talking about 522 GWh, which is not counting a huge battery factory planned for Europe and some other plants – such as Huangpi, in Wuhan – that still have not disclosed how many cells they will be able to manufacture.
– Tesla planned to make 100 GWh at Giga Nevada but would be delivering around 30 GWh. Most of its cars now need suppliers such as LG Energy Solution and CATL, which provides Tesla with LFP cells.
– The list provided by the financial analyst at Snow Capital is impressive.
Bridget McCarthy on Twitter: “In less than a week, 12 different business units within BYD completely shifted to mask production. In just five weeks, BYD went from producing zero masks, to being the WORLD’S LARGEST SURGICAL MASK PRODUCER. By May, BYD was producing over 50M masks per day.
– In a matter of days, BYD’s designers drew more than 400 renderings of mask machines, the electronics group prepared the necessary parts, & 3,000 engineers from 13 business divisions started building. A week later, BYD was producing masks to be sent around the world.
– The teams (i.e. battery business unit vs. logistics department) competed to have the highest daily mask output. BYD yanked battery engineers from the then-top-secret Blade battery project to oversee mask production, one of whom continually topped the “dragon and tiger list”.
Original Source : https://twitter.com/bridgemccarthy_/status/1359613174958407680
SERBIA INKS $200 MLN DEAL WITH STELLANTIS TO PRODUCE ELECTRIC CARS
– Serbia on Thursday signed a 190 million euro ($199.67 million) deal with Franco-Italian car maker Stellantis for the production of an electric vehicle at its car manufacturing plant in Kragujevac.
– President Aleksandar Vucic said after the signing ceremony. He said electric vehicle production should start at the beginning of 2024.
– Vucic said that Serbia, which has not yet produced electric cars, will have to consider the opening of numerous charging stations to attract local buyers, as well as to adopt a new energy strategy.
CHEAPER TESLA MOBILE CONNECTOR NOW LISTED IN VEHICLE CONFIGURATOR
– After no longer offering the mobile connector as standard on its new vehicles, Tesla has reduced prices on its two home chargers and also added them to its online vehicle configurator.
– The Mobile Connector is now offered for $200, down from $400, while the Wall Connector costs $400 (it was $495 before). The latter appears available to order, but the former is listed as out of stock at the time of writing.
– Tesla has also added the Mobile Connector and Wall Connector to its online configurator to remind new buyers that their new EVs do not come with charging solutions included.
– Mobile Connector has an estimated delivery date between August and October 2022.
JOE MANCHIN CALLS EV TAX CREDITS “LUDICROUS” IN SENATE HEARING
– Senator Joe Manchin called federal tax credits for electric vehicles “ludicrous” in a Senate hearing on Thursday. The West Virginia politician, who continues to make millions from the coal industry, has been a regular critic of subsidies for EVs, which have played a key role in the Democratic Party’s plan to decarbonize the transport sector.
– Currently, the credit is for any plug-in vehicle (both battery EVs and plug-in hybrid EVs) with at least 5 kWh of battery capacity and ranges from $2,917 to $7,500, depending on the exact kWh total. But it’s a credit, not a rebate, so to receive the full $7,500, an EV buyer has to have at least $7,500 in tax liability that year.
– House Democrats put together an expanded incentive package, which would increase the tax credit to as much as $12,500
– Despite his claims to want to address climate change, this is not the first time Manchin has made clear his opposition to policies that would actually help. In November 2021, he called the EV incentives “wrong” and “not American.” And in March 2022, he said he was “very reluctant to go down the path of electric vehicles”
HOW NEW ENERGY VEHICLES FIND THEIR MARKET IN RURAL CHINA
– In 2021, over 3.5 million NEVs have been sold in China, according to China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM), a non-profit organization based in Beijing.
– With the government’s support for the adoption of electric vehicles in rural areas in recent years, that market has become an important driving force for NEVs in China.
– A campaign to open up China’s rural market for NEVs first rolled out in five pilot cities in 2020 and then in eight more last year. About 20 automakers with over 50 models of electric vehicles joined the initiative each year.
– Since local governments would offer special subsidies, car companies could further lower prices of these select models.
– Most rural customers are sensitive to cost. Most of the NEVs selected for promotion in the rural market are sold at a price less than 150,000 yuan ($22,830).Electric cars in the mini and small segments have been welcomed in the rural market. The Wuling Hongguang Mini EV has become one of the best-selling electric cars in China last year.
– However, government subsidies are declining as the NEV market is shifting from being policy-driven to market-driven. China will withdraw all subsidies on NEVs end of this year.
– But the biggest challenge is the income of rural residents, which is directly related to the state of the Chinese economy.
VW, BMW, MERCEDES SEEK ALTERNATIVES TO GAS AND OIL AMID THREAT OF RUSSIAN EMBARGO
– As Germany speeds up investment in renewables, the energy consumption of its automakers reveals just how reliant the country’s most important industry is on fossil fuels, a Reuters analysis of environmental data shows.
– Mercedes’ most energy-efficient factory in Sindelfingen, near Stuttgart, sources 30 percent of its energy through solar panels on the roof, the company has said
– BMW’s plant in Leipzig, Germany, generates 20 percent of the energy it needs for production from four on-site wind mills.
– Bosch, the world’s largest auto supplier, told Reuters it meets only around 1 percent of its energy needs worldwide through on-site production of renewable energy
– BMW said it was working to incentivize the construction of new plants via direct contracts with suppliers, and looking into how it could increase the proportion of energy sourced on-site. The automaker said its new factory in Debrecen, Hungary, where production of the New Class all-electric car will launch in 2025, will be the world’s first automotive plant to dispense completely with fossil energy sources in its production processes.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What cables should or shouldn’t come with a new or used EV?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT