Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 25th April, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
VOLKSWAGEN MAKES CHARGING EASIER AND MORE CONVENIENT
– The volume brands Volkswagen, Cupra/Seat and ŠKODA are now offering simple tariffs for public charging, allowing customers to charge at fixed kilowatt-hour prices throughout the entire charging network. With this step, the company creates optimal cost transparency.
– In the future, customers will have the choice between three basic tariffs, each with fixed prices per kilowatt hour charged. The new tariffs apply to customers of We Charge (Volkswagen), Powerpass (ŠKODA), Easy Charging (SEAT/CUPRA) and Elli and offer top conditions for Ionity fast chargers, among other benefits.
– Depending on the country, prices can be different, but always follow the same logic.02 Elli, our in-house brand, which is responsible for all activities in the Group around the topic of charging & energy is the backbone of the offer.
– charging stations will be highlighted in the e-cars navigation system and drivers will be offered the option of choosing to drive there. The quality criteria will include reliability, weather protection and if there is a catering option. This means that customers will be able to target charging stations with a canopy and coffee offering. The program is scheduled to start later this year.
– Another component of the quality offensive is the market launch of Plug&Charge. The function will be activated from the middle of the year via a software update in all e-cars of the volume brands based on the MEB architecture. The vehicle identifies itself at the corresponding charging stations using the ISO 15118 standard and automatically starts the charging process. Plug&Charge is supported by IONITY, Aral/bp, E.ON and Iberdrola
RIVIAN R1T CAN NOW CHARGE AT UP TO 500 AMPS WITH NEW SOFTWARE UPDATE
– the latest 2022.11.02 software update for the Rivian R1T all-electric pickup, released this month and examined by Out of Spec Reviews.
– Kyle Conner, among various changes, Rivian has increased the maximum DC fast charging current from 450 A to 500 A, which is expected to slightly increase the rate of range replenishing.
– Now, we saw that it can take 498 A right away at a low state-of-charge, which combined with around 400 V is over 200 kW – 204 kW at 14% SOC to be specific. The peak (according to the charger’s display) was about 217 kW, above 40% SOC. That’s actually very close to the 210 kW peak value declared in technical papers.
HEAT PUMPS INCLUDED IN GM EVS COULD GIVE THEM A REAL-WORLD RANGE ADVANTAGE
– GM confirmed Monday that it plans to include heat-pump technology in all of its current and upcoming Ultium-platform electric vehicles.
– That includes the Hummer EV now being delivered and the soon-arriving Cadillac Lyriq, plus many more to arrive in the next several years. In them, the tech will help recover low-level waste heat in ways that can add up in meaningful ways—bringing them quicker acceleration, faster charging, and a longer range
– the one in GM EVs employs a compressor-and-evaporator component system and a specially chosen refrigerant that undergoes a phase change. A physical reaction pays off in the release of energy as it goes from gas to liquid—to in effect amplify whatever energy it can scavenge along the way.
– That extra can go toward cabin heating, low-level electrical functions, or even preconditioning of the battery—potentially extending range by as much as 10%.
GM INTRODUCES NEW ENERGY-SAVING FEATURE FOR EVS
– “Having a ground-up EV architecture gives us the freedom to build in standard features like Ultium’s energy recovery capabilities,” said Doug Parks, GM executive vice president, global product development, purchasing and supply chain. “This helps us squeeze more efficiency, performance and overall customer benefit out of our EVs.”
– Ultium’s energy recovery even enables GMC Hummer EV’s Watts to Freedom feature. Energy recovery pre-cools the propulsion system to help the all-electric supertruck accelerate from 0-60 mph in approximately 3 seconds.
GM’s EV Tech Captures Body Heat and Uses It to Warm the Cabin
– Covered by 11 patents and four publications, the development of Ultium energy recovery traces its inception back to GM’s first EV, the EV1, in the late 1990s, when GM engineers first developed an EV heat pump. Ultium energy recovery is available on all current Ultium vehicles and planned for future Ultium vehicles.
GM SAYS IT WILL PRODUCE ELECTRIC CHEVROLET CORVETTES
– General Motors will produce an electrified Chevrolet Corvette next year, followed by an all-electric version of the iconic sports car, GM President Mark Reuss said Monday.
– Reuss said the automaker will continue to manufacture traditional models with internal combustion engines alongside the electrified models. He declined to disclose when the all-electric Corvette would be released or whether the “electrified” model would be a traditional hybrid or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle.
– GM’s confirmation of the electrified Corvettes comes amid increased pressure from Wall Street for legacy automakers to better compete against EV industry leader Tesla. It also comes a day before GM’s crosstown rival, Ford Motor, is scheduled to host an event for its electric F-150 Lightning pickup, which has received significant attention from investors and media.
HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 TO RECEIVE PRODUCT ENHANCEMENTS FOR 2023 MODEL YEAR
– Hyundai has enhanced its multi award-winning IONIQ 5 with the introduction of the 2023 model year. The updated IONIQ 5 range will be also available with a new 77.4kWh battery, along with several range enhancements and new features.
– Along with the new 77.4 kWh battery, the updated IONIQ 5 will be available with video-based digital interior and exterior mirrors. Mounted in the IONIQ 5’s rear spoiler, the Digital Centre Mirror (DCM) optimises visibility by providing an unobstructed, panoramic rear-facing view of the car.
– Meanwhile, the new battery heater and conditioning feature is standard across the range and will enable IONIQ 5 to adapt its battery temperature while travelling to support optimal charging conditions when reaching the charging point, improving real-life charging performance in hot or cold ambient conditions. This function activates automatically when a high-power charging point is entered into the vehicle’s navigation system using connected routing.
– In a range realignment, the SE Connect 58 kWh is now available from £39,400. With a range of up to 238 miles
– From £41,900 on the road, Premium IONIQ 5 models receive new standard equipment including the Vehicle to Load (V2L) system, previously a cost option, part leather upholstery, upgraded soft touch interior including 64 colour ambient lighting and sliding centre console.
– The Premium specification level also sees the first digital based solution introduced with a standard full display mirror that also uses a camera positioned inside the vehicle spoiler to project a real time display onto the interior mirror, optimising the drivers rear view in all conditions, alongside the automatically dimming function. Also available on the Premium is the optional heat pump
– Premium models are available with both the 58 kWh and new 77.4 kWh pack that delivers an increased range of up to 315 miles
– Now priced from £48,400, the Ultimate trim now offers the previous cost options of blind view monitor and surround view monitor as standard, which join 20” alloy wheels, privacy glass, heated and ventilated front seats, with heated rear, BOSE premium sound system and augmented reality head up display.
– The Namsan Edition is available from £52,900, the new range topping specification includes Digital Side Mirrors
Make New York EV Ready” Bill Promoting the Development of New Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure
– Senator Anna M. Kaplan (D-North Hills) passed legislation, S.23A/A.4386, to promote the development of new electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure to help ease the transition to electric vehicles by New Yorkers. The bill passed as part of a package of legislation supported by Senator Kaplan that will combat climate change and promote environmental conservation.
– Ensuring that new parking structures are pre-wired for electric vehicle charging is a no-brainer, and it’s what needs to be done to ensure that our infrastructure will be ready to handle the growing number of EVs on the road today and tomorrow.
– Specifically, S.23A/A.4386, requires any new parking garage or parking lot capable of accommodating 50 or more cars, that receives state capital funding, to be capable of supporting electric charging stations at a minimum of 20% of available parking spaces.
NIO RESPONDS TO WHY IT WILL ALLOW USERS TO OPT OUT OF BAAS PLAN
– NIO (NYSE: NIO, HKG: 9866) said it will allow users who originally opted to purchase a car on the BaaS (Battery-as-a-Service) plan to opt out of the program. In its latest response, the company further explained the idea behind this.
– NIO will offer the option because some customers have come forward with the idea of buying out their batteries, the company was quoted as saying in a Monday night report by local media outlet Auto Time.
– As of now, the number of BaaS users looking to buy out the batteries is extremely low, NIO said, according to the report.
– If the vehicle is expected to have a short lifespan, then the BaaS option is more appropriate for them, NIO said, adding that users are advised to choose the right purchase option for their situation.
FRANCE TO OFFER €30,000 LOANS TO HELP BUY HYBRID OR ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– France is to offer zero-interest loans of up to €30,000 to help drivers who work or live in low-emission zones to buy a hybrid or electric vehicle.
– Air pollution in the zones must also be above authorised levels in order for residents or workers to qualify.The loan will be available from January 1, 2023, and the scheme will be trialled for two years initially, a decree published today confirmed.
– It will officially apply to zones that consistently breach authorised thresholds for pollution levels, and those in which a low-emission zone (Zone à faibles émissions (ZFE)) must be put in place from January 1, the Ecology Ministry said.
– The loan will apply to all cars and vans that weigh less than 2.6 tonnes and whose emissions are less or equal to 50 grams per kilometre. This means hybrid and electric vehicles.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What cables should or shouldn’t come with a new or used EV?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT