Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Sunday 24th April, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
WHY THE F-150 LIGHTNING LAUNCH IS A PIVOTAL MOMENT FOR FORD AND EVS
– Ford Motor Co. will become the first legacy automaker to launch a mainstream electric pickup — a pivotal moment for the automaker that potentially could accelerate the push to electrify America’s vehicle fleet given F-150’s profitability and popularity.
– But being early also makes it that much more important for Ford to pull this off without any major hitches, experts say — even as the company attempts to ramp up production volumes amid myriad supply-chain disruptions, an ongoing pandemic, rising commodity costs and geopolitical tensions
– It’s difficult to overstate the importance of the F-Series lineup to Ford’s business.
– In a typical year, the truck franchise nets sales of roughly 900,000 trucks. It’s been the best-selling truck in the U.S. for 45 consecutive years. And it is Ford’s cash cow, generating more revenue than the major U.S. sports leagues combined, as well as Fortune 100 companies like Nike Inc. and the Coca-Cola Co., according to a 2020 Boston Consulting Group study commissioned by Ford.
– Ford now is moving to boost annual Lightning production to 150,000 units by next year. Overall, the company is investing $50 billion in electrification through 2026 and eyeing annual production of more than 2 million EVs globally by then.
– The company has said that the majority of Lightning reservations have come from customers who are new to Ford — not the automaker’s truck base.
Original Source : https://eu.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2022/04/24/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-launch-ev/7382547001/
FORD PATENTS TANK TURN, POSSIBLY FOR F-150 LIGHTNING
– Rivian made quite a splash with its viral video portraying one of its R1T electric pickups essentially turning on the spot, like a tank, by driving the wheels on one side forward, while the others are going in reverse. However, the feature is not currently present in its production vehicles, and Ford also patented its own version
– The patent drawing below shows what appears to be an F-150 Lightning but text makes no direct mention of that truck
– unlike the Rivian R1T and R1S, the Ford F-150 Lightning doesn’t come with a quad-motor setup, with one motor driving each individual wheel. So far, Ford has only announced dual-motor versions, and in order for those to be able to perform a tank turn, the manufacturer will need to resort to reversing one side and not the other via gears, or just applying lock to all four wheels.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/581678/ford-patent-tank-turn-f150-lightning/
MORE AMERICANS VIEW ELECTRIC VEHICLES AS A PRIMARY CAR
– A new consumer survey conducted by MINI USA reveals various shifts in American consumers’ sentiment toward electric vehicles (EVs) over the last three years. The survey, which repeated the same set of questions used in a 2019 questionnaire carried out by MINI USA, indicates that more Americans – and particularly younger and female consumers – view electric vehicles as a primary car in the household more than any other use case. This represents a shift from 2019 where more respondents selected “commuting car” and “city car” as preferred uses. Commissioned by Engine’s CARAVAN®, the survey further explores consumers‘ level of knowledge about the EV infrastructure in their regions, as well as personal attitudes toward EV ownership and travel needs.
– A point that has remained consistent from both surveys is daily
travel distance, as 76% of respondents say that 75 miles of battery
range is sufficient for everyday driving. Only a 3% increase over the
course of three years, consumers’ daily driving distances continue to
remain well below the current range of all new electric vehicles on
the market today.
– About 63% of all respondents in 2022 still consider EV owners to
be early adopters, which is only 3% lower over the last three years.
While this pioneering connotation may sound complimentary to some,
it highlights a need for more mainstream awareness of the
accessibility, daily usage, and convenience of electric vehicles today.
– Greater visibility for charging stations is needed, though some
progress has been made. About 35% of consumers now know where their
nearest EV charging port is located, a slight improvement from 26%
Original Source : https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/article/detail/T0383394EN_US/new-consumer-survey-from-mini-usa-shows-more-americans-view-electric-vehicles-as-a-primary-car-in-the-household-as-average-daily-driving-distances-remain-well-within-ev-range
KEMPOWER TO DELIVER DC CHARGERS “AT SCALE” TO MER IN NORWAY
– Norwegian charge point operator Mer says it has opted for Kempower from Finland to deliver fast-charging equipment to Mer in Norway. They have signed a framework agreement and say they will roll out the DC infrastructure “at scale.”
– Mer Norway (formerly Grønn Kontakt) was founded in 2009 and has since built over 300 fast-charging stations throughout Norway. Owned by Statkraft, the company also has a foothold in Sweden, Germany, Austria, and the UK.
– Kempower has a range of DC charging stations delivering 40 to 320 kW. The company did not state which type of hardware Mer will use in Norway.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/04/24/kempower-to-deliver-dc-chargers-at-scale-to-mer-in-norway/
KEMPOWER – S-SERIES CHARGING SATELLITE SYSTEM
– Kempower S-Series charging satellite system is an electric vehicle fast charging system for large and widespread fleets. The system is especially ideal for electric buses and parties offering fast charging for electric passenger cars. The need for simultaneous and frequent fast charging is easily fulfilled with S-Series charging satellite posts.
Due to the modular structure, the standard Kempower charging system offers power from 40 kW to 600 kW.
– The S-Series charging satellite system consists of a C-Series charging power unit and 4 double satellites or 8 single satellites, with a maximum total of 8 charging outputs. Inside the cabinet, there are Kempower power modules that each provide 40 kW of charging power. 1 to 4 modules can be installed in a single C-Series cabinet whereas one charging power unit can have 1 to 3 cabinets. All in all up to 12 modules can be installed in a charging power unit. You can start with one module and acquire more when needed. The charging power can be distributed dynamically into each charging output.
Original Source : https://kempower.com/charging-solutions/products/s-series-charging-system/
China Electric Car Market Reaches 26% Plugin Market Share In March
Original Source : https://cleantechnica.com/2022/04/24/china-electric-car-market-reaches-26-plugin-market-share-in-march/
ELECTRIC VEHICLES: EV CHARGING NETWORK WILL BE 99 PERCENT RELIABLE
– The Government is attempting to tackle the varying reliability of the UK’s charging network. And now, under a new law coming in later this year, the country’s electric vehicle rapid charging network will be required to have a 99 percent reliability rate
– Ministers hope that the new law will eradicate range anxiety and create a “world-class” charging grid.The legislation also includes a £1.6billion investment in 300,000 new charge points across the country.
– A Department for Transport (DfT) spokesperson said: “We’ve committed £1.6billion to support the rollout of charge points across the UK and, as part of our recently published EV Infrastructure Strategy, we will set new legal requirements to improve reliability at public charge points.”
Original Source : https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1600371/electric-vehicles-charging-network-new-law-UK
ELECTRIC CAR COST ADVANTAGE OVER PETROL GROWS AMID ENERGY MARKET TURMOIL
– Driving an electric car for a year costs almost £600 less than its petrol equivalent after fuel prices surged more than electricity costs
– Electric vehicles were already cheaper to run, according to figures shared with the Guardian, but the gap has widened significantly amid turmoil in global energy markets caused by the war in Ukraine.
– Running either kind of vehicle is markedly more expensive than a year ago.Petrol prices hit record highs in March and have dropped only slightly this month, while the new price cap on domestic energy bills, which came in on 1 April, has brought with it higher electricity costs.
– Petrol cars registered the biggest cost increase, up by more than £300 from £1,530, while electric car ownership is £137 more expensive than in 2021. The change means the cost advantage of an electric car has widened from £403 to £570.
Original Source : https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/apr/24/electric-car-cost-advantage-petrol-grows-energy-market-turmoil-ukraine
SKODA DROPS ENTRY-LEVEL ENYAQ 60 MODEL IN UK
– Skoda has axed the small-battery ’60’ model from its Enyaq range, citing high demand and component shortage issues.
– Its UK Enyaq brochure and online configurator have been updated to reflect the move.
– As a result, the all-electric SUV is now only available with the larger 77kWh battery, with prices kicking off from £40,970 for the Enyaq 80 and £47,875 for the four-wheel-drive Enyaq 80x SportLine model.
– The Enyaq 60 used a 58kWh battery giving a range of 256 miles. Priced from £34,510
– Electric car website Electrifying.com recently revealed there were large order books for the Enyaq, with the typical UK customer now having to wait 18 months for delivery.
Original Source : https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/skoda-drops-entry-level-enyaq-60-model-as-electric-suv-is-hit-by-high-demand-and-component-shortage/260752
DOCUMENTARY ‘ELON MUSK’S CRASH COURSE’ TO TAKE HARD LOOK AT TESLA SAFETY
– A new documentary from The New York Times and FX will examine Elon Musk and Tesla, the electric car maker he co-founded and runs as CEO.
– The documentary, set to debut on FX and Hulu on May 20, will trace “how Autopilot has been a factor in several deaths and dozens of other accidents that Tesla has not publicly acknowledged,” according to The New York Times.
– Called “Elon Musk’s Crash Course,” the doc will detail “pressure Elon Musk put on government officials to quash investigations and features inside stories from several former Tesla employees, who speak out against Musk for promoting a self-driving program that they believe was perilous,” according to the Times on Monday.
Original Source : https://www.cnet.com/culture/entertainment/new-doc-elon-musks-crash-course-to-take-hard-look-at-tesla-safety/
EV INDUSTRY: SALARIES HEAD NORTH AT ALL LEVELS AS EV COMPANIES RACE FOR TALENT
– The fast growth in India’s electric vehicle industry is driving up the salaries in this sunrise sector as companies are finding it tough to get the right talent.
– Salaries have gone up in all levels as EV manufacturers poach and get poached. They are also hiring from adjacent industries. At the top, senior executives are often getting a 50% or higher jump in salaries, while at the mid-level the increase is almost 100%, say experts.
– Sales of electric vehicles in the local market are estimated to grow at a compounded annual rate of 90% to $150 billion by 2030, according to a report by RBSA Advisors.
– The average salary hike across functions in the EV space is between 40% and 70%
– Being a new domain, the employee count requirement has more than doubled in the EV industry, according to estimates of HR services provider Randstad.
– Among the firms hiring EV talent are Ola Electric, Bajaj Auto, Mahindra & Mahindra, MG Motor India, Hyundai Motor Co, JBM Auto, Hero Electric, Ampere Vehicles, Revolt Intellicorp, Okinawa Autotech and Ather Energy, experts told ET.
Original Source : https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/jobs/salaries-head-north-as-ev-companies-race-for-talent/articleshow/91082732.cms
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What cables should or shouldn’t come with a new or used EV?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT