Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Friday 22nd April, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
RENAULT WEIGHS SEPARATING ELECTRIC CAR BUSINESS VIA IPO
– Renault (RENA.PA) said on Friday all options were on the table for separating its electric vehicle (EV) business, including a possible public listing in the second half of 2023.
– Renault has been pushing ahead with plans to split its electric vehicle and combustion engine businesses as it seeks to catch up with rivals such as Tesla (TSLA.O) and Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) in the race to cleaner driving.
– Ford (F.N) said last month it would run its EV business separately from its legacy combustion engine operations.
– The company said sales of fully-electric and hybrid vehicles rose 13% and accounted for 36% of the total. Prices were up 5.6% from the first quarter of 2021 as the group pursues sales of more profitable cars
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/renaults-q1-sales-fall-ukraine-conflict-semiconductor-crisis-hit-market-2022-04-22
2024 BMW I7 M70: WHAT TO EXPECT FROM PERFORMANCE MODEL
– BMW with its new i7 doesn’t want to challenge the most powerful electric sedans currently on the market. The current most potent version is the i7 xDrive60, whose two electric motors make 536 horsepower, sprints to sixty in 4.5 seconds
– The manufacturer will launch an M-badged model, expected to be called i7 M70, which will be considerably quicker thanks to a power output of 660 horsepower and a peak torque rating of 737 pound-feet (1,000 Nm).
– The i7 is powered by a 107.8 kWh (101.7 kWh usable) pack that pushes the xDrive60 version up to an EPA rated range of 300 miles – expect that to go down to maybe 280 miles in the M70.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/581576/bmw-i7-m7-performance-model-confirmed/
HYUNDAI TO EXPAND ULTRA FAST CHARGER NETWORK WITH PARTNERS
– Hyundai has announced teaming up with retail giant Lotte Group and KB Asset Management to expand ultra-rapid charging infrastructure in Korea. Their business model includes leasing high power charging stations to private operators to add 5,000 ultra-fast chargers (UFC) by 2025.
– The Group has reportedly started installing a proprietary network of high power charging stations last March when launching the 800-volt electric vehicles, Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5. Hyundai says its 350 kW charging stations can charge an EV battery equipped with an 800-volt system within 18 minutes to 80 per cent
– In today’s statement, Hyundai also reported it is now operating so-called E-pit charging stations at twelve highway locations and six urban hubs.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/04/21/hyundai-to-expand-ultra-fast-charger-network-with-partners/
TESLA’S HALF-IDLE SHANGHAI FACTORY EXPOSES STRAIN IN CHINA’S COMMERCIAL HUB
– Tesla’s Shanghai factory is assembling 1,000 vehicles a day – just half of its output before the city’s latest Covid-19 outbreak – after resuming work this week. Production at the facility was suspended for 22 days because of a citywide lockdown.
– 8,000 workers have been convened to build its bestselling Model 3 and Model Y EVs, but only half of the workforce can be fully utilised in a single shift, because Tesla still does not have adequate components for a full resumption, two industry officials with knowledge of the matter said.
– “A large-scale carmaker like Tesla is supposed to have an inventory for at least two weeks of production when it is in normal operation,” said David Zhang, a researcher at the North China University of Technology. “It will be some time before Shanghai-based carmakers like Tesla, Volkswagen [VW] and General Motors [GM] can fully restore their supply chain and run at full capacity.”
– Giga Shanghai has two shifts that can together churn out more than 2,000 EVs a day. Tesla has been hiring new workers and expanding facilities at the plant to increase its capacity.
– It produced 484,130 vehicles last year, including those for export, representing 51.7 per cent of the company’s global total of 936,000 units for 2021.
– Tesla has incurred a loss of about 50,000 units during the 22-day hiatus
– Last week, He Xiaopeng, co-founder and CEO of smart EV start-up Xpeng Motors, said that all of China’s vehicle assemblers would have to suspend production by May if supply chain constraints caused by Shanghai’s lockdown were not resolved soon.
Original Source : https://www.scmp.com/business/china-business/article/3175064/teslas-half-idle-shanghai-factory-exposes-strain-chinas
GREECE’S ASTYPALAIA ISLAND TURNS “GREEN” WITH FLEET OF ELECTRIC CARS
– Greece’s Astypalaia received the first shipment of electric cars this week through a program to make it the first “smart” island that runs almost entirely on green energy.
– The delivery is part of the “Smart and Sustainable Island” program, a joint plan by the Greek government and Volkswagen.
– Thanos Papagiannis received the first of the deliveries in the form of a Volkswagen ID.3, which replaced Papagiannis’s previous Volkswagen vehicle, a gas-powered Golf 3.
– Volkswagen is removing gas vehicles from the island and replacing them with its e-up, ID.3, ID.4 and Seat Mó e-Scooter electric vehicles.
Original Source : https://greekreporter.com/2022/04/21/greece-astypalaia-electric-cars/
HONDA IS DEVELOPING THREE NEW EV PLATFORMS BY 2030
– Japan’s Honda Motor Co plans to ramp up its electric vehicle production, producing millions of EVs by 2030, a top executive at the company told Reuters on Thursday. The future electric models will be built on three new dedicated EV platforms, one of which will be shared by General Motors.
– Honda’s global head of electrification, told Reuters on Thursday that the company will launch an electric mini commercial vehicle in Japan in 2024 built on a new small EV platform. The second vehicle will be a full-size electric model for North America in 2026 that will be built on a larger EV platform. Both platforms will also be used for other models as well.
– Earlier this month, Honda and General Motors announced they will share their EV technology and jointly develop “affordable electric vehicles”, but its still unclear what EV platforms the vehicles will use, or where the vehicles will be built.
– Honda only has two electrified vehicles in the U.S. But the company is looking to catch up in the EV segment with a massive investment of $40 billion over the next 10 years.
Original Source : https://www.futurecar.com/5360/Honda-is-Developing-Three-New-EV-Platforms-by-2030-Including-One-That-Will-Be-Shared-With-GM-Executive-Says
GRIDSERVE OPENS NEW ELECTRIC FORECOURT® IN NORWICH
– Norwich Electric Forecourt® is one of the most advanced electric vehicle charging facilities in the world, hosting 36 chargers with up to 350kW of power – the fastest currently available
– The Norwich Electric Forecourt® more than doubles the number of high-powered chargers in the region,1 providing essential charging infrastructure that delivers drivers the confidence to go electric. Norwich and the wider East of England region currently have comparatively low EV charger coverage compared to other regions in the UK
– EVs only account for 1% of cars on the road in the Norwich area.
– The Norwich Electric Forecourt® also provides a great solution for drivers looking to switch to an EV who don’t have the ability to charge at home, and for local businesses in the area looking to switch their fleets to electric. It will also help EV drivers to access the city centre and improve connections to surrounding areas such as Ipswich, Cambridge and Peterborough.
– 22x high-power chargers with up to 350kW of power, eight Tesla Superchargers and six low power AC chargers
Original Source : https://www.gridserve.com/2022/04/21/gridserve-opens-new-electric-forecourt-in-norwich-transforming-ev-charging-in-the-area/
DENVER LAUNCHES NATION’S BEST E-BIKE REBATE PROGRAM
– Starting today, buying an e-bike just got a whole lot more cost-effective for residents of Denver, Colorado.
– The city recently announced the best city-wide tax rebate for e-bike buyers in the U.S.: A $400 rebate for regular e-bikes, and an additional $500 rebate for cargo e-bikes. Depending on their income level, some residents may qualify for an even higher rebate, up to $1,200. And even better: The rebate is instant, meaning you can apply before you buy and bring your voucher to one of the participating bike shops in the city.
– As more and more people consider swapping their cars for e-bikes—or at least, swapping one of their cars for an e-bike—many cities around the U.S. are incentivizing people to make the swap.
– Denver is also home to an e-bike lending library, with 30 e-bikes available to borrow, thanks to local manufacturer FattE-Bikes.
Original Source : https://www.bicycling.com/news/a39786401/denver-launches-nations-best-e-bike-rebate-program/
DOE PARTNERSHIP AIMS TO SPUR US BIDIRECTIONAL CHARGING INTEGRATION FOR EVS AND INFRASTRUCTURE
– The United States Department of Energy and several stakeholders have released a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to spur integration of bidirectional charging for EVs and infrastructure.
– First spotted by solar-focused PV Magazine, the MOU brings together several Energy Department offices, the California Energy Commission, California Public Utilities Commission, the cities of Los Angeles and Lancaster (California), vehicle manufacturers
– Several demonstration projects have already been launched to show how coordinated bidirectional charging of a fleet of EVs could stabilize the grid. But a lack of production vehicles capable of bidirectional charging has made this a moot point.
– The Ford F-150 Lightning will be one of the first products to offer the corresponding home hardware and be covered under warranty by the automaker.
The Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Lucid Air were both designed for bidirectional charging, but neither automaker have detailed the home hardware needed to send power back into the grid.
Original Source : https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1135665_doe-partnership-aims-to-spur-us-bidirectional-charging-integration-for-evs-and-infrastructure
USE CHEAPER ENERGY RATES TO GALVANIZE CONSUMERS INTO GOING ELECTRIC
– To persuade the millions of households necessary to make a difference to switch to electricity, it needs to be cost-competitive with diesel, gasoline and natural gas. This can be accomplished by offering a discounted electric rate to customers who trade their natural gas-, fossil methane- or propane-powered water and space heating, ventilation and air conditioning and other appliances for electric models.
– Discounted rates to incentivize behavior are a well-used policy tool. The Local Government Sustainable Energy Coalition wants the California Public Utilities Commission to adopt such an approach as part of proceedings on how best to finance and pay for our fossil-free future.
– Today, Pacific Gas and Electric customers pay roughly 80% more per kilowatt-hour than the national average; Southern California Electric charges 45% more; San Diego Gas & Electric’s clients shell out double the coast-to-coast norm. Even low-income Californians, whose electric rates are subsidized, pay more than the typical American.
Original Source : https://calmatters.org/commentary/2022/04/galvanize-consumers-into-going-electric-with-cheaper-energy-rates/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What cables should or shouldn’t come with a new or used EV?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT