Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Thursday 21st April, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
VW’S NEW GROWTH PLAN WILL REDUCE SUPPLY CHAIN VULNERABILITY
– Volkswagen Group CEO Herbert Diess said the automaker’s new growth plan would aim to reduce its vulnerability to the effects of global conflicts, such as supply chain disruption and rising prices, by divesting more power to its regions and brands.
– Diess did not specify which political events he was referring to, but automakers have been hit hard by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as Western sanctions pushed up the price of energy and raw materials.
– Diess said the automaker’s board saw boosting its China business, growing software division Cariad and reorganizing its brand leadership structure as the most pressing issues facing the automaker.
– “Our competitors are no longer called Mercedes-Benz, Toyota Motor Corporation or Stellantis, but Tesla, Foxconn, Apple, LG Electronics, Uber etc.,” he said.
THE RAM 1500 EV HAS 1 MAJOR ADVANTAGE OVER OTHER ELECTRIC TRUCKS
– Last week, Ram CEO Mike Koval confirmed the Ram 1500 EV concept at the New York International Auto Show. Ahead of the 2024 release, the company plans to reveal or preview the electric truck sometime this year. Those who are a part of the Ram Real Talk Tour might get a preview of the EV even before that.
– Koval said to Automotive News that Ram has a master plan to give customers the right design for the future lineup.
– Electric trucks like the Ford F-150 Lightning and GMC Hummer EV Pickup will have been on the market for two years (if all goes as planned). The Chevrolet Silverado EV is slated for production in 2023, likely still beating the Ram by a whole year.
– It can adjust based on customer feedback by releasing the Ram 1500 EV after the other trucks have been on the market for a bit. Ram will get to learn what people like and don’t like and be able to modify certain things as necessary.
TESLA (TSLA) EARNINGS Q1 2022
– Tesla just reported first-quarter earnings for 2022 and beat analysts’ expectations on the top and bottom lines.
– Automotive revenue reached $16.86 billion, up 87% from the same period last year. Automotive gross margins jumped to a record 32.9% with Tesla reporting gross profit of $5.54 billion in its main segment. Regulatory credits accounted for $679 million of automotive revenue for the quarter.
– Revenue growth was driven in part by an increase in the number of cars Tesla delivered, and an increase in average sales prices, the company said in its shareholder deck.
– “Our own factories have been running below capacity for several quarters,” Tesla said in its shareholder deck. The company did not give detailed guidance on deliveries going forward, but said it expects 50% annual growth on a multi-year basis, and warned that supply chain constraints are likely to continue through 2022. Musk also said that he believes inflation is worse than reported, and will continue through the year.
Original Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/20/tesla-tsla-earnings-q1-2022.html
HALF OF TESLAS PRODUCED IN Q1 HAD AN LFP BATTERY
– At its Q1 2022 earnings call, Tesla announced that nearly half of all EVs it produced during the quarter were fitted with LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery cells that are free of nickel and cobalt.
– While LFP batteries still use lithium, they come with a number of benefits over the standard NCA and NCM batteries that have traditionally been used in electric vehicles.
– Tesla announced that almost half the cars that rolled out of its factories during the first three months of 2022 were equipped with LFP (lithium iron phosphate) batteries. In its official statement released on Wednesday, the company said that its decision to use the new technology is largely based on the fact that “diversification of battery chemistries is critical for long-term capacity growth.”
– The batteries are expected to help Tesla save on input costs and improve the bottom line as they are significantly cheaper than the Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide (NCA) cells
Original Source : https://screenrant.com/tesla-increases-ev-production-lfp-battery/
TESLA SHOWS THAT ORDERS FOR ITS CARS SPIKED AFTER THE SUPER BOWL
– his year’s Super Bowl was packed with electric car ads from various automakers. Now that EVs are beginning to come into the mainstream, people are taking notice. Seeing major automakers supporting and promoting electric cars, not to mention their outstanding performance, gets people talking and searching the internet.
– Apparently, it also moves people to order a Tesla.
Tesla’s solar business slumps as supply shortages take a toll
– The company’s solar energy deployments – including the solar roof made at Tesla’s Buffalo plant – plunged by nearly half during the first quarter because of problems getting supplies from outside the United States.
– Tesla said it installed 48 megawatts of solar energy generating capacity during the first three months of this year, 48% less than the 92 megawatts of solar capacity it installed during the same period last year.
– Tesla CEO Elon Musk said he expects the supply shortages that affected the company’s battery and solar energy businesses to be resolved.
– Analysts believe Tesla has installed a relatively small number of solar roofs, so even a high percentage increase likely involves a modest number of additional deployments.
TESLA AND PANASONIC RUMORED BATTERY FACTORY IN OKLAHOMA
– Tesla and Panasonic are rumored to be behind a new multibillion-dollar battery factory project in Oklahoma as the state pushes to approve $700 million in incentives to move the project forward.
– Now it looks like Oklahoma might be making moves to secure the project or something very similar to the Panasonic project.
Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt announced that the state is close to securing a “multibillion dollar investment.”
– Due to the timing and the previous reports about Panasonic looking at locations in Oklahoma, the Japanese manufacturer is the top suspect to be behind this project.
XPENG ANNOUNCES RESERVATION PRICES FOR P5 IN EUROPEAN MARKETS
– Reservations for the XPeng P5 start at 390,000 Danish kroner ($57,040) in Denmark, 48,000 euros ($52,250) in the Netherlands, 380,000 Norwegian kroner ($43,190) in Norway and 550,000 Swedish kroner ($58,380) in Sweden, according to the company’s announcement today.
– XPeng launched the P5 in China on September 15, 2021, with two LiDARs on the premium version of the model, making it one of the first production vehicles in the global market to use LiDARs.
– XPeng’s P5 for European customers will be equipped with its in-house developed XPilot 2.5 assisted driving system and Xmart OS in-car operating system.
– the P5 available in Europe will not come with LiDARs, as the model sold in China with this part comes with XPilot version 3.5, which will support users using NGP (Navigation Guided Pilot) in the city.
– 66kWh battery pack and has a 465km WLTP range
GM CONTINUES TO SOLIDIFY SUPPLIES FOR FUTURE EVS
– In another move to make sure it has what it needs to electrify its lineup, General Motors Co. said Thursday it entered into a supply agreement with MP Materials Corp. for the alloy and magnets needed for EV programs.
– The supply agreement is one of several GM has made in the last year to shore up the materials it will need to build 1 million electric vehicles in North America by 2025.
FORD TEASES NEW ELECTRIC TRANSIT CUSTOM
– Ford has teased the first official image of its second 100% electric van, with the announcement that full details will be revealed on 9 May 2022.
– to our eyes that silhouette looks like the next-generation Ford Transit Custom – which makes it a bit of a big deal.
– the current Transit Custom has consistently been the bestselling vehicle in the UK. Not just the bestselling van, but the bestselling vehicle of any kind – an electric version of the next one is a significant moment that transcends light commercial vehicles.
– The Transit Custom out-sells its nearest rival by about three to one. Which makes it not just the backbone of Britain but most of the major organs as well – especially when you consider that the next bestselling van is the larger Ford Transit
– There will be some crossover, inevitably, but the Volkswagen ID. Buzz is a slightly smaller vehicle with a much higher quotient of lifestyle content – although that’s not to say the Transit Custom doesn’t also traditionally appeal to ‘vanlife’ types.
PENSKE AUTOMOTIVE UNIT ORDERS 750 FORD ELECTRIC CARGO VANS
– Penske Truck Leasing has ordered 750 of Ford Motor Co’s (F.N) electric E-Transit cargo vans
– The move comes as several companies including FedEx Corp (FDX.N), UPS (UPS.N) and Deutsche Post (DPWGn.DE) unit DHL are experimenting with electric cargo vehicles as part of their own zero-emission vehicle plans.
– Penske, which expects to take delivery of the first batch of vehicles in the next several weeks, said the first E-Transit vehicles will be made available in Southern California with other locations around the United States phased in later in the year.
– Penske also said that their long-term plans include adding more of the automaker’s E-Transit vans to its wider network of rental, leasing locations across North America.
BEST CHARGING BEHAVIOR FOR LFP BATTERIES
– If your vehicle is equipped with an LFP Battery, Tesla recommends that you keep your charge limit set to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also fully charge to 100% at least once per week. If Model 3 has been parked for longer than a week, Tesla recommends driving as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.
– Does it mean that LFP batteries are immune to extra battery degradation associated with frequent full charges? No…
– The only reason why Tesla recommends to fully charge the Model 3 cars that have LFP batteries is because it helps the BMS (Battery Management System) to estimate the available battery capacity more precisely.
– Compared to other battery chemistries, LFP’s charge/discharge voltage curves are extremely flat. Basically, the voltage only rises when the battery is almost full and drops when it’s almost empty. This is why it’s much harder for a BMS to estimate correctly the SoC of a LFP battery.
– even if you always fully charge a LFP battery, its average voltage will still remain lower than it would be in a half charged NCM or NCA battery…
– If you care about keeping a lithium-ion battery healthy, my advice is to cycle it between 20 and 70 %
– if you care more about having a reliable GoM, that estimates your remaining range more accurately, fully charge the battery more often.
Original Source : https://pushevs.com/2022/04/21/best-charging-behavior-for-lfp-batteries/
TECH BILLIONAIRE RUNNING FOR SENATE JUST TO BASH ELON MUSK, TESLA
– A tech billionaire running for a US Senate seat from California is focusing on one issue only — Elon Musk and the “unbelievably bad” autonomous vehicles produced by his company, Tesla.
– Dan O’Dowd, the billionaire founder and CEO of Green Hills Software who is spending his own money to fund a campaign, says he wants to ban Tesla’s full self-driving features if he is elected.
– O’Dowd told POLITICO that his would be a one-issue campaign, and that he declined to say if he truly intended on winning.
– Observers believe his only motivation is to use First Amendment protections afforded to political candidates in order to make claims about Tesla products that would not get any television air time if he were a regular private citizen.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What cables should or shouldn’t come with a new or used EV?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT