Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Wednesday 20th April, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
KIA REVEALS NIRO PRICING AS ‘ELECTRIC EXPERIENCE’ DEALERSHIP TOUR GETS UNDERWAY
– Kia has revealed the pricing of its electrified Niro crossover range as it unites its zero-emissions models at an ‘Electric Experience’ dealership event touring the UK.
– The EV starts from £34,995 for the ‘2’, £37,745 for the mid-range ‘3’ grade, and £40,495 for the top-spec ‘4’ model.
– Kia president and chief executive Paul Philpott recently told AM that the UK’s full 2022 quota of EV6 crossovers had been sold already.
– Customers can now pre-order their all-new Niro from today with the first UK customer deliveries expected to commence in early Q3.
– Niro EV ‘2’ buyers will see their car additionally pair an 8.0-inch touchscreen display with 10.25-inch instrument cluster, and also feature 17-inch alloy wheels, 11kW on-board charger, and a battery heating system.
– the ‘4’ grade feature a head-up display, twin 10.25-inch touchscreen and instrument cluster displays, heated rear seats and ventilated front seats, a power operated tailgate, electric sunroof, an uprated Harman Kardon premium sound system, driver’s side memory seating, and front passenger lumbar support.
The new Niro EV’s 64.8 kWh lithium-ion polymer battery pack and a 204PS electric motor claims a 287-mile range and the ability to accelerate to 62mph in 7.8 seconds.
Original Source : https://www.am-online.com/news/manufacturer/2022/04/20/kia-reveals-niro-pricing-as-electric-experience-dealership-tour-gets-underway
BMW I7 ELECTRIC CAR REVEALED
– the 7 Series is the brand’s showpiece for luxury and technology. The i7 is the electric version of a new generation of the BMW 7 Series flagship unveiled on Wednesday.
– With a starting price of $119,300, the all-wheel-drive 536 horsepower i7 xDrive60 will be able to go 300 miles on a full charge, which is less than the competing Mercedes EQS or Lucid Air.
– While those other luxury brands’ electric vehicles are based on dedicated EV chassis with little relationship to their gas-powered models, BMW emphasizes adaptable engineering as its edge.
– BMW has engineered all its new models so they can be built with internal combustion engines, fully electric power or as plug-in hybrids that combine both electric and gas power. BMW executives insist this is not just a matter of fitting batteries and electric motors into cars that were intended to have gas engines. Instead, these vehicles have been designed, from the outset, to be built with any of these drive systems.
– BMW chairman Oliver Zipse said, is that customers needn’t choose between two completely different models when deciding whether they want an electric or gas-powered car. They can just decide they want to buy a BMW 7 Series, then choose whether they want the gasoline or electric version,
– The downside of a common engineering platform is that, to enable both electric and gasoline power, designers need compromises.
– BMW 7 Series buyers can get an optional 31-inch high-resolution video screen that folds down from the roof to provide entertainment for back seat passengers.
– The 7 Series can automatically drive itself into and out of parking spaces even with the driver outside the vehicle using a smartphone app. It can also drive itself through a pre-programmed course, such as around pylons in a parking garage, on its own, a feature somewhat similar to Tesla’s Summon mode
– A sophisticated “head up display” which displays data in the car’s windscreen can align images and text so they appear as if laid over roads and other features in the real world.
Original Source : https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/20/business/bmw-i7/index.html
2022 BMW I7 ELECTRIC CAR REVEALED: PRICE, SPECS AND RELEASE DATE
– Arriving first in xDrive60 form, the new i7 will be powered by front and rear-mounted electric motors that together produce 537bhp and 549lb ft of torque, propelling the car to 62mph in just 4.7 sec. Power is drawn from a 101.7kWh battery, giving the i7 an official range of up to 388 miles. That’s significantly more than the figure for the Audi e-tron GT (298 miles), but less than the Mercedes EQS 450+ can officially do (an impressive 453 miles).
– The i7 will have a maximum charging speed of up to 195kW from a DC charger, and if you can find a suitably powerful charging point, approximately 100 miles of range can be added in just 10 minutes
– In the back seats, passengers will be just as well looked after as those in the front, because all models will be long-wheelbase variants, so legroom in the back should be plentiful. What’s also plentiful in the back is technology: each rear passenger will have a 5.5in touchscreen to operate the audio system, seat adjustment settings, climate controls, and ambient lighting.
Original Source : https://www.whatcar.com/news/2022-bmw-i7-electric-car-revealed-price-specs-and-release-date/n23842
2023 BMW 7 SERIES AND I7 EV REVEALED: YOU CHOOSE BIG V8 OR BATTERY POWER
– Every 2023 7 Series gets a standard four-corner air suspension system with automatic self-leveling and electronically controlled dampers. The adaptive suspension lowers the 7 Series by 0.4 inches in Sport mode or raises it up to 0.8 inches for rough roads and small obstacles. Furthermore, the i7 automatically lowers a bit above 75 mph for aerodynamics. And with the addition of integral adaptive steering, which gives the car more precision at higher speeds, the 7 Series has rear-wheel steering at a rate of up to 3.5 degrees.
– Front and center is the new Curved Display, which is a single continuous piece of glass that houses two plus-sized screens: a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster behind the steering wheel and a 14.9-inch central touchscreen. And a new Interaction Bar, exclusive to the 7, features a crystalline surface with touch-capacitive controls for things like ventilation and climate control functions.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/580864/2023-bmw-7-series-i7-debut/
2023 MERCEDES-BENZ EQS SUV: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW
– Mercedes-Benz’s first all-electric, U.S.-bound SUV, the 2023 EQS SUV, was revealed in a press release Tuesday. Hot on the heels of the EQS sedan, the SUV gets the same egg-like styling as the electric S-Class, along with a similar 107.8 kWh battery setup and dual-motor drivetrain. Opt for the most expensive EQS 580 4Matic, and you’re looking at 536 hp and 633 lb-ft of torque going to all four wheels.
– Mercedes will sell two different EQS SUV trims: the EQS 450+ and the EQS 580 4Matic. Both get the same 107.8-kWh battery in the floor, but the 450+ gets a single motor for the rear wheels, while the 580 gets two motors; one at the front and one at the back. So if you want all-wheel drive, you’ll need to step up to the 580.
– And because rear axle steering up to 10 degrees is standard, expect some proper agility from the all-electric Benz.
– The EQS SUV will be built at Mercedes’s Tuscaloosa, Alabama factory thanks to a new battery systems plant in nearby Bibb County. Deliveries are set to begin in late 2022, though the company has yet to release pricing. Considering this is essentially a direct competitor to the Model X and the iX, expect a starting price in the low $100,000 range.
Original Source : https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a39749819/2023-mercedes-benz-eqs-suv/
TESLA SELLS USED CARS AT HIGHER PRICES THAN NEW CARS ON ITS CHINA WEBSITE
– The electrification of cars has brought about many anomalies, one of which is the price inversion between used and new cars.
Some vehicles currently for sale on Tesla’s (NASDAQ: TSLA) Chinese website are selling for more than the price of a new car, after CnEVPost discovered this phenomenon on some online used car platforms late last month.
– The Tesla China website currently includes seven officially certified used Model 3 vehicles for sale, with one of the standard range models selling for RMB 287,400 ($44,810), which is RMB 7,500 more than the new car’s price of RMB 279,900.
– In addition to the Model 3, Tesla’s China website is also selling four Model Y vehicles, one of which is a 2022 vehicle that is also priced higher than new.
The rear-wheel-drive version of the Model Y comes from Suzhou, Jiangsu province in eastern China, with 4,293 kilometers of driving range, and is offered at RMB 326,400, which is RMB 9,500 more than the RMB 316,900 price of a new vehicle.
Original Source : https://cnevpost.com/2022/04/20/tesla-sells-used-cars-at-higher-prices-than-new-cars-on-its-china-website/
EV PARTS MAKER SCHAEFFLER SIGNS FIRST OF A KIND EUROPEAN RARE EARTH DEAL
– German auto parts supplier Schaeffler (SHA_p.DE) has signed a raw materials deal to ensure the supply of rare earth magnets from Europe for its burgeoning electric vehicle (EV) motor business, an executive told Reuters.
– Automakers planning on massive jumps in EV production have agreed contracts in recent years with miners for battery raw materials such as cobalt, lithium and nickel, but such deals have been limited in the rare earths sector.
– General Motors Co (GM.N) in December reached an agreement to source rare earth magnets in the United States, but this is the first reported one in Europe.
– The European Union, Britain and the United States are scrambling to build domestic rare earth and magnet industries to wean themselves off China, which supplies 98% of permanent magnets to Europe.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ev-parts-maker-schaeffler-signs-first-kind-european-rare-earth-deal-2022-04-19/
BMW CEO WARNS AGAINST ELECTRIC-ONLY STRATEGY, SAYS GAS HAS LIFE LEFT
– BMW Chief Executive Officer Oliver Zipse said companies must be careful not to become too dependent on a select few countries by focusing only on electric vehicles, adding that there was still a market for combustion-engine cars.
– “When you look at the technology coming out, the EV push, we must be careful because at the same time, you increase dependency on very few countries,” Zipse said at a roundtable in New York, highlighting that the supply of raw materials for batteries was controlled mostly by China.
– If you are not selling combustion engines anymore, someone else will,” said Zipse.
Original Source : https://driving.ca/auto-news/industry/bmw-ceo-warns-against-electric-only-strategy-says-gas-has-life-left
INSPIRING: GIGANTIC FLOATING FOSSIL FUEL GAS STATION NOW RUNS ON ELECTRIC POWER
– The world’s first electric-powered tanker, named Asahi, will go into service in Japan later this month.
– his particular tanker will be used for bunkering, or filling up the tanks of larger ships in or near harbors. In other words, the Asahi will soon become the world’s first electric vehicle to deliver 338,000 gallons of fossil fuel on demand.
– The boat, which is owned by Asahi Tanker, is powered by a 3,480 kWh battery, according to Reuters, which notes this is equivalent to “about 100 batteries for a typical electric vehicle,”
– The tanker has a range of around 100 kilometers (62 miles) and a top speed of 10 knots. It will charge at a dock operated by Tokyo Electric Power in Kawasaki, where it will require about 10 hours to charge
– It’s an inspiring accomplishment for a boat whose job is literally to enable the usage and burning of fossil fuels in huge quantities
– The Asahi is not a technological breakthrough in cargo shipping sustainability, but a niche application of existing technology for a boat that travels very short distances to do a specific job.
Original Source : https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgd9mn/inspiring-gigantic-floating-fossil-fuel-gas-station-now-runs-on-electric-power
LONG WHEELBASE VOLKSWAGEN ID BUZZ SPIED TESTING AS T6 CARAVELLE
– Our spies have just sent us photos of what is very likely a test mule for the upcoming long-wheelbase Volkswagen ID Buzz, the one that will be sold in the United States.
– It is also believed that the long wheelbase ID Buzz will get an even bigger battery than the current 77 kWh top pack – reports say it could have 111 kWh capacity. Volkswagen also recently announced a series of improvements it wants to implement into its MEB platform, and they target improvements in all key areas (charging speed, range and performance).
– VW says the updated MEB will allow for a maximum range of up to 435 miles (700 km) on one charge (on the WLTP test cycle; the EPA number would be a bit lower), so we could assume the ID Buzz LWB could offer that much in its top variant.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/581024/volkswagen-id-buzz-lwb-spied-t6-mule/
NEW STUDY: MORE THAN HALF OF DAILY CAR TRIPS IN THE US ARE LESS THAN THREE MILES
– arious studies have found that the majority of real-world car trips are well within the range of a typical EV. A 2016 MIT study concluded that current EVs could meet the needs of about 90 percent of drivers, at a total cost no greater than that of ICE vehicles (and remember, this was in 2016, when few EVs could muster as much as 200 miles of range).
– A new study for the Bureau of Transportation Statistics adds some interesting data to the debate. The Maryland Transportation Institute analyzed “an anonymized national panel of mobile device data from multiple sources,” and found that, in 2021, 52% of all trips in the US, using all modes of transportation, were for distances of less than three miles. Some 28% of trips were for less than one mile, and just 2% were for greater than 50 miles.
Original Source : https://chargedevs.com/newswire/new-study-more-than-half-of-daily-car-trips-in-the-us-are-less-than-three-miles/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What cables should or shouldn’t come with a new or used EV?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT