Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Tuesday 19th April, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
APPLE RANKS BEHIND DISNEY AND TESLA IN NEW BRAND INTIMACY SURVEY
– In MBLM’s Brand Intimacy 2022 Study, Apple has ranked third in how consumers bond with the brands they use and love, staying behind Tesla (second place) and Disney (first place). Here are the top findings of the report.
– According to the study, three technology brands are featured in the top 10 (Apple, Tesla, and Android), up from two in 2021.
– According to the survey, Apple continues to dominate stages, which identify “the depth and degree of intensity in the relationship between a consumer and a brand. There are three stages of intimacy with criteria for each progression: sharing, bonding, and fusing.”
– Here are the top 10 brands, including their scores:
Disney – 68.1
Tesla – 67.4
Apple – 65.3
Sony – 65.0
YouTube – 64.3
Original Source : https://9to5mac.com/2022/04/19/apple-ranks-behind-disney-and-tesla-in-new-brand-intimacy-survey/
FORD COPIES TESLA AND ADDS VIDEO GAMES TO INFOTAINMENT SYSTEMS
– it sounds like Ford may be following Tesla’s lead and bringing games to its new electric truck – but you’ll only be able to play them when parked.
– But the rollout was marred by a report from the New York Times that quoted one Tesla Model 3 owner who found that they could play the games while driving.
– the NHTSA soon stepped in and ordered that Elon Musk and Tesla issue a software update to disable the ability to play games while driving.
– The Blue Oval is preparing to rollout its all-electric F-150 Lightning pickup truck. And, ahead of its release, Darren Palmer, vice president global EV programs at Ford, has teased a glimpse of things to come in the new truck’s infotainment system.
– While Tesla initially had no processes in place to make sure people weren’t gaming while driving, a Ford spokesperson has confirmed to Jalopnik that the “games are only active when the vehicle is in park.”
Original Source : https://jalopnik.com/ford-copies-tesla-s-gimmicky-games-in-the-f-150-lightni-1848807655
DEALERS AND OWNERS OFFER “USED” EVS AT MASSIVE PREMIUMS TO NEW CAR PRICE
– The scarcity of new electric vehicles coming into Australia has led some car dealers and EV owners to ask as much as $25,000 more for their “used” electric cars than the price of a new car.
In some cases, drivers are attempting to sell their vehicles before they’ve even taken delivery.
– One of these examples is a Hyundai customer who has listed their all-wheel-drive Ioniq 5 – which sells from $75,900 new – on Carsguide for $94,300. According to the listing, they received the vehicle at the end of March after initially being told it would not arrive until June, and had bought another EV in the meantime.
– A second all-wheel-drive Ioniq 5 has been listed by Lavender Bay showroom Classic Throttle Shop for just shy of $100,000.
– As RenewEconomy’s David Leitch argues, it is average Australians that are paying the price for Australia’s vehicle emissions policy vacuum, and it is absolutely no surprise that enterprising players are seeking to zero in on profits.
– a Tesla customer is looking to sell their Model 3 Performance – which Tesla sells for just under $100,000 driveaway depending on your state or territory – for $115,000. And it hasn’t even been delivered yet.
Original Source : https://thedriven.io/2022/04/19/dealers-and-owners-offer-used-evs-at-massive-premiums-to-new-car-price/
MAZDA REVIVES ROTARY ENGINE TO EXTEND RANGE OF ELECTRIC CARS
– Mazda Motor is planning to revive its iconic rotary engine in a plug-in hybrid car by the end of this year as it attempts to simultaneously please fans and cope with tougher environmental rules in its main markets, such as Europe.
– it will generate electricity to power the electric motor and other systems in the car.
– Mazda ceased producing cars with rotary engines in 2012 because of the difficulties in meeting environmental regulations. Ever since, the carmaker has been looking for a way to revitalize the iconic design.
– The MX-30 was Mazda’s first mass-produced electric car, released in 2020. Sales have struggled to take off, however, due to its short cruising range. It can travel about 250 km on a single charge, significantly less than other carmakers’ EVs.
Original Source : https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Mazda-revives-rotary-engine-to-extend-range-of-electric-cars
TESLA SHANGHAI PLANT RESUMES PRODUCTION, 8,000 EMPLOYEES RETURN TO WORK
– Tesla’s (NASDAQ: TSLA) Shanghai plant officially resumed production today, with 8,000 employees returning to work, according to a report by Kankanews today.
– Battery and motor module production at Giga Shanghai has started at full speed in the morning, and vehicle assembly is gradually resuming, according to the report.
– 1,600 production and logistics personnel have gotten several production lines up and running.
– Tesla Giga Shanghai tried closed-loop production before the shutdown and surveyed employees about their willingness to do so, according to Jiemian’s report.
However, the company had to abandon the plan after it gathered employees only to find that there was not enough food to guarantee a normal life, according to the report.
Original Source : https://cnevpost.com/2022/04/19/tesla-shanghai-plant-resumes-production-8000-employees-return-to-work/
DUCATI V21L ELECTRIC RACE BIKE PERFORMS HOT LAPS AT VALLELUNGA CIRCUIT
– Former world championship rider Alex De Angelis took the Ducati V21L electric race bike around the Vallelunga circuit in the northern part of Rome, Italy for ‘not so silent’ hot laps.
– Although we are in the early days to comment on the specifications of the upcoming Ducati V21L electric bike, we certainly do know the figure it intends to beat, as the Energica Ego Corsa was known to reach 257 kmph during races. The latter came with a 147 bhp liquid-cooled electric motor laying down 220 Nm of torque, so Ducati certainly knows the benchmark.
Original Source : https://www.carandbike.com/news/ducati-v21l-electric-race-bike-performs-hot-laps-at-vallelunga-circuit-2900010
CHINA: WULING HONG GUANG MINI EV NOTES CLOSE TO 100,000 SALES IN Q1 2022
– The Wuling Hong Guang MINI EV has quickly become the best-selling electric vehicle in China, and despite new competition in its segment, it still remains on top. According to the China Passenger Car Association (CPCA)’s data (via Moneyball), during the first quarter of 2022, some 94,778 Wuling Hong Guang MINI EVs were sold (up 30.7% year-over-year).
– For reference, in 2021, the total number of Wuling Hong Guang MINI EV sold in China amounted to 395,451 (up 250.7% year-over-year).
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/580615/china-wuling-hongguang-ev-sales-2022q1/
TOYOTA ADOPTS GM’S ELECTRIC VEHICLE CATCH PHRASE
– When Mark Reuss announced back on January 27, 2020 that GM’s “Electric Future Is Now,” things were looking very rosy for the automaker known primarily for trucks and sports cars. The Chevy Bolt was following the successful Chevy Volt in the GM line, there were hints of an electric Silverado coming soon, and maybe even reviving the Hummer brand as an EV. Even Cadillac was electrifying its cars. The “electric future is now” has a great ring to it.
– When Toyota created its press release this week, it titled it, “The Future is Now:
Original Source : https://www.torquenews.com/1083/something-borrowed-toyota-adopts-gm-s-electric-vehicle-catch-phrase
BP ORDERS A THOUSAND TRITIUM FAST CHARGERS
– Australian charging infrastructure manufacturer Tritium has signed a multi-year contract with BP for the supply of DC charging stations and associated services. BP is placing an initial order with Tritium for almost 1,000 fast charging stations for the UK, Australian and New Zealand markets.
– The charging stations will then be achieved and operated under the BP Pulse brand. So far Tritium has only made mention of the three English-speaking markets.
– BP operates most of the UK’s charging stations, and has announced its own plan to invest £1 billion over the next ten years to expand its BP Pulse charging network.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/04/19/bp-orders-a-thousand-tritium-fast-chargers/
PG&E’S TESLA MEGAPACK BATTERY IN CALIFORNIA NOW OPERATIONAL
– A 182.5-megawatt energy storage system in Northern California that was designed and constructed in a partnership between Tesla and Pacific Gas and Electric Company is now operational, the utility announced Monday.
– The system includes 256 Tesla Megapack battery units on 33 concrete slabs and has the capacity to store and dispatch up to 730 megawatt hours of energy to the electrical grid at a maximum rate of 182.5 megawatts per hour during periods of high demand, PG&E said in a statement.
– The system is one of nine projects that would bring PG&E’s total battery energy storage system capacity to more than 3,330 MW by 2024, the utility said.
Original Source : https://www.kcra.com/article/pge-tesla-megapack-battery-california-now-operational/39762274
LG MAGNA EPOWERTRAIN BREAKS GROUND ON NEW FACILITY TO BUILD COMPONENTS FOR GM EVS
– LG Magna ePowertrain, a recently launched joint venture between LG Electronics and Magna International, has broken ground on a new facility in Mexico, the JV’s first production footprint in North America. When completed, the 260,000-square-foot plant will produce a multitude of powertrain components to support electric vehicle production from General Motors (GM).
– Aside from its venture with LG, Magna International has manufacturing contracts for EV automakers like Fisker, REE Automotive, and Jaguar Land Rover, while simultaneously developing its own EtelligentDrive products like its new EtelligentReach powertrain.
– A huge automotive player involved with Magna is GM, who will be the foundational customer for the new facility being built by LG Magna ePowertrain.
– As LG Magna ePowertrain’s first production presence in North America, the joint venture expects to create 400 new jobs. Those new employees’ first task will be manufacturing an arsenal of EV components for GM, including inverters, motors, and on-board chargers.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2022/04/19/lg-magna-epowertrain-breaks-ground-on-new-facility-to-build-components-for-gm-evs/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What cables should or shouldn’t come with a new or used EV?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT