Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 18th April, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
BMW BELIEVES TESLA HAS LOST ITS UNIQUE SELLING POINT
– With 936,172 cars delivered in 2021 and 310,048 units only in the first quarter of 2022, it’s safe to say Tesla is doing better than ever. However, BMW Group sales chief Pieter Nota believes Elon Musk’s company has lost its USP
– “Tesla had a unique selling point for quite some time. That’s over.”
– Later this week, the i7 will receive its world premiere as a response to the Mercedes EQS and Model S. The end of 2022 will bring us the iX1 to serve as the EV equivalent of the next X1 compact crossover. Come 2023, the smaller i5 will follow as an electric variant of the next-generation 5 Series Sedan. The greater BMW Group is going to roll out the MINI Countryman EV and Rolls-Royce Spectre next year.
– For the time being, the i4 and iX are the commercial hits for the Bavarians. We mustn’t omit the iX3, but the company has decided against bringing it to the United States.
– Indeed, Nota mentioned dealers have hundreds of orders for the two and the waiting time has increased to six months.
– The automotive conglomerate will kick its electric efforts into higher gear in 2025 with the launch of Neue Klasse, a dedicated EV platform.
MERCEDES EQS SUV VIDEO TOUR
– Building upon the success of the EQS and the launch of the EQE, Mercedes has another electric vehicle on the way to the United States. This time it’s more in line with what the US wants: an SUV.
– EQS SUV is to the sedan EQS what the GLS is to the regular S-Class — an upright take on its ultra high-end model. It was unveiled recently in Germany
– In addition to having room for seven, the electric SUV has an off-road mode and special running boards that help reduce drag.
– While Mercedes is mum on pricing and range details for the US, we do know that its European range will be “up to 600 kilometers” based on the WLTP standard, which should make the range top out at a shade over 300 miles in the US’ more stringent EPA ratings.
Original Source : https://www.engadget.com/mercedes-eqs-suv-video-100003122.html
MERCEDES EQS VS BMW IX TWIN TEST REVIEW: LATE, BUT BETTER THAN NEVER?
– The Germans – still powerful, still rich, still clever – are now, belatedly, desperate to master the electric future. Its most ambitious two flagbearers stand before us. Mercedes’ EQS and BMW’s iX are electric technological showpieces from Germany’s two most distinguished premium car makers. Although not head-to-head rivals – one luxury saloon, one luxury SUV – they are comparable on price (£121,990 for the EQS versus £116,965 for the iX, as tested). And, as the Range Rover happily proves, luxury SUVs now compete head-on with luxury saloons.
– the EQS rides majestically and could well be the world’s quietest car at speed, assisted by its near-silent electric drive and the world’s most aero-efficient production car body
– As with the EQS, the iX showcases its maker’s latest software (OS8) and new iDrive control system, and it sees BMW throw every bit of electro tech it can at the dazed and confused first-time driver. As with the EQS, it’ll take a lifetime to master all the gadgets and gizmos but let me give you a few of the headline acts.
– our test also shows the increasing and unfortunate convergence of Mercedes and BMW. They are becoming less distinctive car makers, which the electric revolution exacerbates. EVs are sold on interfaces more than driver appeal, and the technical paths chosen by these two German titans are near-identical.
HOW MANY ELECTRIC CARS SOLD? WORLD EV FLEET WILL SOON HIT A 20 MILLION MILESTONE
– The world is about to pass another important milestone in electric vehicle adoption: 20 million plug-in vehicles on the road globally, come June, according to BNEF estimates. That’s remarkable growth from only 1 million EVs on roads in 2016.
– In the second half of 2022, almost a million EVs a month will be added to the global fleet, according to BNEF estimates. That’s about one every 3 seconds. Vehicles eventually get retired from the fleet due to age, wear-and-tear, crashes and battery degradation. But that’s not a big part of the EV story so far, mostly because the majority of EVs in the global fleet were sold in the past 18 months.
– China accounts for 46% of the total sales to date, followed by Europe at 34%. North America is a distant third at 15%
– Attention will eventually shift to the big emerging auto markets in the world, like India, Brazil, Mexico and Southeast Asia. EV adoption has barely started in these countries and regions, yet they are key for the growth in global EV adoption to continue once the larger markets start to saturate.
TESLA REPORTEDLY TARGETING 1K MODEL Y PER WEEK BY END OF APRIL IN GIGAFACTORY BERLIN
– esla is currently looking to produce about 1,000 electric vehicles per week at Giga Berlin by the end of the month, with the company ramping to about 5,000 to 10,000 per week by the end of 2022.
– Citing internal calculations by the company, German media outlet Automobilwoche estimated that Tesla will only be making about 30,000 cars at Giga Berlin this year, with higher outputs being achieved in 2023.
– Tesla is reportedly only producing about 350 vehicles per week at Gigafactory Berlin for now.
– Considering that Tesla is currently using 2170 cells for the Model Y that are produced in Giga Berlin and the Fremont Factory, it seems safe to assume that the Fall 2022 shutdown in the facility would allow the company to transition its European-made all-electric crossovers with 4680 cells.
LUCID AIR REPORTEDLY LAUNCHING IN EUROPE IN JUNE OR JULY
– a fresh report, which reportedly quotes a Lucid spokesperson, announces that the Air sedan would come to Europe in either June or July.
– Autocar says the very first European country to get Lucid vehicles is Germany, where the company could be interested in setting up its regional headquarters. Once that is successfully achieved, the manufacturer will expand into Europe’s most important markets and the ones where electric vehicles are most popular.
– The UK could be another potentially major market for Lucid, and since we’ve also heard a right-hand drive Air is planned, it would seem like a natural step to sell it there too.
– According to the source report, UK order books could potentially open in the final quarter of 2022, with first right-hand drive Air deliveries starting in early 2023. It also mentions having seen Lucid’s dual-motor rear axle, apparently known as the Megawatt rear axle, with a predictable output of 1,341 horsepower.
– This tri-motor Air could be pushing upward of 1,600 horsepower, which could mean that the Tesla Model S Plaid’s days as the quickest accelerating sedan ever made. This same motor setup will also find its way into the top version of the upcoming Lucid Gravity SUV, set to debut towards the start of 2024.
TESLA LAUNCHES COMPETITION TO DESIGN CYBERQUAD ELECTRIC ATV’S BATTERY PACK
– Tesla has launched a new competition to design the Cyberquad’s battery pack as the automaker appears to literally be crowdsourcing R&D for the electric ATV, though it’s more likely a recruiting effort.
– But now with the Cybertruck coming next year, Tesla is going to have to start working on bringing the electric ATV to market. It looks like the automaker is now doing just that, but it is taking a very surprising approach.
– Tesla is calling for teams to submit designs for a battery pack designed to fit in the Cyberquad and equipped with 2170 cells. The automaker insinuates that the best design could actually end up in the electric ATV, but it is also giving out prizes for the best designs – they are going to be giving out up to RMB 200,000 (~$30,000 USD) in prices.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What cables should or shouldn’t come with a new or used EV?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT