Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Friday 15th April, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
PROTERRA INTRODUCES ZX5 MAX ELECTRIC BUS WITH 738 KWH PACK
– Proterra is increasing the amount of energy onboard its purpose-built ZX5 electric transit bus, delivering more battery storage to help transit agencies scale zero-emission bus fleets with electric vehicle technology. Starting in 2023, the 40-foot Proterra ZX5 Max electric transit bus can be equipped with up to 738 kilowatt hours (kWh) of onboard energy.
– ZX5 Max can deliver more than 300 miles of drive range on a single charge, depending on route conditions, configuration and operation.
– The 35-foot and 40-foot ZX5+ electric bus models can be equipped with up to 492 kWh of onboard energy for routes with less demanding range requirements.
Original Source : https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/04/20220415-proterra.html
FORD EV BATTERY COSTS MAY SOAR BY 40 PERCENT WITHIN TWO YEARS
– In spite of massive investments in EVs, automakers including Ford are now facing a new problem as well – whereas Ford EV battery costs were previously expected to plunge in the coming years due to an increase in scale and advancements in technology, those same Ford EV battery costs may now rise by as much as 40 percent over the next two years, according to Bloomberg.
– The problem, it seems, are rising commodity costs, which are hitting every sector hard, including South Korean EV battery makers LG Energy Solution – which supplies batteries for the Ford Mustang Mach-E and Ford E-Transit – and SK Innovation, which supplies the batteries for the Ford F-150 Lightning.
FORD MUSTANG MACH-E HIT BY PRICE HIKE AS MATERIAL COSTS GROW
– The entry price for the Ford Mustang Mach-E electric SUV has been hiked up by more than £6000, with Ford citing a dramatic increase in material and energy costs.
– The Kia EV6 rival now starts at £47,530, up from its original launch price of £41,330, the change having come into effect on 1 April.
– It means just one Mustang Mach-E variant, the Standard Range RWD, is priced below £50,000. The Extended Range RWD is now priced from £52,080, up from £49,980.
– Standard Range AWD now costs £54,100, up from £46,650, while the Extended Range AWD now costs £61,480, up from £57,030.
– The range-topping Ford Mustang Mach-E GT, originally commanding a £67,225 price tag, was less dramatically affected by the increases, now being priced from £68,030.
CATL PLANS TO BUILD $6 BILLION BATTERY PROJECTS IN INDONESIA
– CATL (SHE: 300750), the world’s largest supplier of power batteries, continues to expand its footprint in international markets.
– NIO signed an agreement on April 14 with Indonesia’s PT AnekaTambang (ANTAM) and PT Industri Baterai Indonesia (IBI) to build multiple projects related to power batteries in the Southeast Asian country.
– The projects, with a total investment amount of up to $5.968 billion, consist of projects in the power battery industry chain
– These projects will further improve CATL’s strategic layout in the battery industry, secure the supply of key upstream resources and raw materials, and reduce production costs, the Chinese company said.
ELECTRIC MERCEDES COMPLETES TESLA-CRUSHING 626-MILE TRIP
– Mercedes-Benz’s latest electric concept car drove 1,008 kilometers — 626 miles — on a single charge of its battery pack, a feat that could signal a future free from range and charging anxiety.The company said Thursday that its Vision EQXX traveled more than twice the distance the typical electric car sold today can cover between fill-ups, generally 200-300 miles.
– The Vision EQXX started its journey in Germany before passing through the Swiss Alps and Northern Italy on its way to the southern coast of France. What’s more, Mercedes didn’t make sure the 12-hour trip happened in perfect or uniform conditions, but rather a variety of environments people might actually experience.
– The road trip included 87-mph stints on the Autobahn
– At the end of its journey, the Vision EQXX still had 87 miles of range left, amounting to a theoretical range exceeding 700 miles.
– During 626 miles of driving, the concept car consumed one kilowatt-hour (kWh) for every 7.1 miles traveled.
– The Vision EQXX managed its feat with a 100-kWh battery pack
TESLA MODEL Y JOINS GRAVITY’S FLEET OF ALL-ELECTRIC NYC YELLOW CABS
– Gravity is debuting a new fleet of Tesla Model Y yellow taxis in New York City in the latest expansion of its fully electric taxi fleet.
– The new Model Y yellow cabs will add to Gravity’s existing fleet comprised of Ford Mustang Mach-E crossovers, active since December 2021. Both models are authorized for use as taxis under an EV pilot program adopted by NYC’s Taxi and Limousine Commission earlier this year.
WALLBOX CHARGERS TO BUILD FACTORY IN TEXAS
– The Spanish charging infrastructure manufacturer Wallbox Chargers has begun construction of its first production facility in the USA, which was announced last year. This is being built in Arlington in the state of Texas and is scheduled to start production by the beginning of autumn 2022.
– The plan is to produce over 250,000 chargers in 2022. By 2025, production is to be increased to over 500,000 units. This is the first time that concrete data on the dimensions of the plant have been revealed
– the Pulsar Plus AC Wallbox will be built first. With an adapter, it should also be possible to charge Teslas with Tesla’s own charging port in the USA. From 2023, production lines for the bidirectional DC charger Quasar 2, the public DC pillar Supernova and the HPC pillar Hypernova will then also be set up.
RENAULT MEGANE : LA PRODUCTION DE LA COMPACTE PASSE AU POINT MORT
– As it was preparing to leave the production lines, the Renault Megane has just been put on hold for lack of components.
– The periods of partial unemployment are not completely behind us. After the confinements for health reasons, it is now the shortage of semiconductors that is undermining the automotive industry. Renault is no exception and must pause production of the Renault Megane e-Tech on which many ambitions are based.
KIA EV9 AMERICAN LAUNCH WINDOW ANNOUNCED
– A couple of weeks ago, Kia announced a (very) rough launch window for the EV9 electric SUV. However, that was only for Europe. But today at the New York Auto Show, Kia dropped a release window for the U.S., and one that’s more specific. Specifically: the second half of 2023.
– As for EV9 details, Kia didn’t reveal any more, but we know a fair bit. It’s a boxy thing, channeling the traditional SUV styling that has made the Telluride so successful. And Kia has a tendency to deliver on concept styling for its production models.
UK: PEUGEOT TWEAKS RIFTER PRICING TO MAKE BASE MODEL ELIGIBLE FOR PLUG-IN GRANT
– Peugeot has tweaked the pricing of the e-Rifter electric MPV to ensure the entry-level model is eligible for the Plug-In Car Grant. The news follows Peugeot’s decision to make the Rifter electric-only in the UK, with the removal of diesel-powered models leaving the electric e-Rifter alone in the small MPV range.
– From April, the entry-level e-Rifter – the standard-length, five-seat Allure Premium model – is now available from £30,450 thanks to the £1,500 Plug-In Car Grant.
– No matter which length or trim you choose, you get the same 50kWh battery pack and 134 bhp electric motor. That gives it a range of up to 172 miles on a single charge
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/579071/peugeot-rifter-electric-pricing-grant/
CHINA HOME TO 40% OF WORLD’S HYDROGEN REFUELING STATIONS
– China has completed the construction of over 250 hydrogen refueling stations, accounting for about 40 percent of the global total, as it strives to fulfill its pledge to develop hydrogen energy to tackle climate change, according to an energy official.
– Hydrogen energy is used to power vehicles, especially buses and heavy-duty trucks. Over 6,000 vehicles on the road are installed with hydrogen fuel cells, accounting for 12 percent of the global total
Original Source : http://www.china.org.cn/business/2022-04/14/content_78165263.htm
TESLA NOW AIMS TO REOPEN GIGA SHANGHAI ON APRIL 18 AFTER A 3-WEEK SHUTDOWN
– Tesla is now aiming to reopen Gigafactory Shanghai on Monday, April 18 after roughly three weeks of being shut down and missing out on the production of over 40,000 electric vehicles.
– If it finally happens, it would mean that Tesla Gigafactory Shanghai would have been shut down for three weeks. At a production capacity of around 2,000 vehicles per day, Tesla will have missed out on over 40,000 vehicles.
COPENHAGEN AIRPORT TO BECOME DENMARK’S LARGEST EV CHARGING SITE
– As part of a long-term agreement, ABB will supply 1,350 chargers to the airport in partnership with energy group EWII to serve travellers and employees parking on site, as well as taxis.
– The charging infrastructure will consist of chargers from ABB’s entire portfolio, from the 22kW Terra AC wallbox to the recently launched Terra 360, which it claims is the world’s fastest all-in-one electric car charger. It can reportedly deliver 100km of range in less than three minutes and is the only charger designed explicitly to charge up to four vehicles at once. The first 180 AC chargers and 15 DC fast chargers will be installed in 2022.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
With the Tesla Cybertruck coming sometime in 2023, will the current crop like Rivian, F-150 and Hummer steal the market? Or is the Tesla truck worth waiting for?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT