Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Thursday 14th April, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
IONIQ5 NAMED WORLD CAR OF THE YEAR
A jury of 102 distinguished international automotive journalists from 33 countries selected the finalists by secret ballot based on their evaluation of each eligible vehicle as part of their professional work.
A triple win for the Hyundai Motor Company when the winners were announced live at the New York International Auto Show. The Hyundai IONIQ 5 was declared the 2022 World Car of the Year, as well as the 2022 World Electric Vehicle of the Year and the 2022 World Car Design of the Year award winner.
For World Car of the Year, the jury selected IONIQ 5 from an initial entry list of 28 vehicles, then from three finalists. The 2022 Top Three in the World
finalists are the Ford Mustang Mach-E, the Hyundai IONIQ 5 and the Kia EV6.
For World Electric Vehicle of the Year, the jury selected IONIQ 5 from an initial entry list of 11 vehicles, then from three finalists. The 2022 Top Three in the World finalists are the Audi e-tron GT, the Hyundai IONIQ 5 and the Mercedes-Benz EQS.
For World Car Design of the Year, a design panel consisting of six highly respected world design experts was asked to first review each candidate. Top Three in the World finalists for the design award are the Audi e-tron GT, the Hyundai IONIQ 5 and the Kia EV6.
Luxury Car – The MERCEDES-BENZ EQS was chosen from an initial entry list of eight vehicles from all over the world then a short list of three finalists as announced on March 15th. The 2022 Top Three in the World finalists are the BMW iX, the Genesis GV70 and the Mercedes-Benz EQS.
Performance Car – The Audi e-tron GT was chosen from an initial entry list of twelve cars from all over the world then a short list three finalists as announced on March 15th. The 2022 Top Three in the World finalists are the Audi e-tron GT, the BMW M3/M4 and the joint entry Toyota GR86 / Subaru BRZ.
HYUNDAI TO BUILD NEW U.S. EV & BATTERY ASSEMBLY PLANT
Hyundai Motor Co. will build an assembly plant in the U.S. for electric vehicles and batteries, COO Jose Muñoz said Wednesday at the New York International Auto Show.
The new plant is part of Hyundai Motor Group’s $7.4 billion investment plan for the U.S. to produce EVs, upgrade factories and develop smart mobility technologies. The company hopes to choose a location for the dedicated EV plant this year, Muñoz said. The hybrid Santa Fe will be the company’s first electrified model assembled in the U.S. when it goes into production in October.
That’s at the Montgomery, Alabama plant.
Original Source: https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/hyundai-ev-battery-plant-will-be-built-us
NEW 2023 INDI ONE EV: TESLA MODEL Y RIVAL OPENS FOR ORDERS
– The Indi One, a new crossover SUV from California start-up Independent Electric Vehicles (Indi EV), has opened for pre-orders at this week’s New York motor show. The first car has been reserved by William Bridge, CEO of sustainability NGO Global Green USA, whose star-studded honorary board includes Leonardo DiCaprio, Yoko Ono and Robert Redford.
– Prototypes are being tested ahead of a planned start to production in mid-2023, with crash testing currently under way. Indi EV will build the car in the US, with several sites reportedly under consideration.
– The base-model One, with a 75kWh battery and an estimated 230-mile range, will retail at $45,000 (about £34,000). A $69,000 (£52,000) premium model gets a 95kWh pack and 300 miles of range.
PAYNE: EV STARTUPS STEAL THE NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW
– This year’s New York International Auto Show is no different, showcasing three new EV players spanning the breadth of the auto market from the gaming-focused INDI EV’s SUV to the VinFast VF 9’s innovative battery subscription to the insane performance of the Deus Vayanne hypercar.
– the three startups made a big splash at the New York show’s media day on Wednesday. Armed with industry-savvy personnel and mature partners, they hope to be the next big thing.
– INDI EV. Short for Independent EV, the Los Angles-based startup showed off its INDI One here
– VinFast. Backed by the Vietnamese industrial conglomerate Vingroup, VinFast is en route to fulfill its ambitious plans: bring four SUVs
– Deus (Day-oos). The first hypercar to sport (ahem) 2,200 horsepower, the Vayanne is a carbon-fiber missile and also has 1,475 pound-feet of torque to go 0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds.
VOLKSWAGEN GROUP DELIVERIES OF ALL-ELECTRIC VEHICLES UP BY 65 PERCENT IN THE FIRST
– The Volkswagen Group successfully continued its global electric offensive in the first quarter, lifting deliveries of all-electric vehicles by 65 percent year-on-year.
– 99,100 BEVs have been handed over to customers by the end of March, up from 60,000 in the opening quarter of the previous year. The biggest increase was seen in China, where 28,800 customers took delivery of a BEV manufactured by a Group brand – a more than four-fold increase versus the prior-year period.
– Europe was still clearly in the lead, with 58,400 vehicles
– In the USA, the Group handed over 7,900 BEVs to customers
– The top 5 BEV models in the first quarter of 2022 were as follows:– Volkswagen ID.4 30,300 units– Volkswagen ID.3 13,000 units– Audi Q4 e-tron (incl. Sportback) 10,700 units– Audi e-tron (incl. Sportback) 10,300 units– Porsche Taycan (incl. Cross Turismo) 9,500 units
VOLKSWAGEN LAUNCHES ONLINE SALES FOR ID.4 AND ID.5 IN GERMANY
– Volkswagen Germany launched online sales for its all-electric ID.4 and ID.5 models for local customers. Online sales for the ID.3 will soon follow.
– Customers can configure leasing agreements for the ID.4 and ID.5 online in Germany. Online sales will start in Germany and later roll out to other European countries. Dealers will take part in Volkswagen’s online sales as they will remain the customers’ point of contact for advice, test drives, delivery, and service.
– Volkswagen plans to expand its online leasing service for new vehicles. It aims to include cash purchases and financing options online eventually.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/volkswagen-id-4-id-5-online-sales/
CALIFORNIA UNVEILS PROPOSAL TO BAN NEW GAS-FUELED CARS BY 2035
– California’s clean-air regulators unveiled a plan this week that would ramp up the sale of electric and zero-emissions vehicles while phasing out the sale of new gasoline-fueled vehicles by 2035, in an aggressive effort to combat the state’s greenhouse gas pollution.
– The proposal, if enacted by the California Air Resources Board, would require 35% of new passenger vehicle sales to be powered by batteries or hydrogen by 2026, and 100% of sales to be net-zero emissions less than a decade later. The proposal also calls for zero-emissions sales to account for 68% of total sales by 2030.
– The board is expected to vote on the proposal in August.
FORD F-150 LIGHTNING LAUNCH DATE SET FOR APRIL 26TH
– Ford CEO Jim Farley tweeted “it’s time,” announcing that the F-150 Lightning “strikes” on April 26th at 1:30PM ET.
– . After the launch event, Ford scheduled another livestream at 9PM ET on the same day to show future owners more about what they can expect, and it says it will have more streams every month.
– We know that Ford has already taken steps to prevent dealers from jacking up prices and to keep buyers from quickly reselling them to the highest bidder, but the supply will likely be tight, at least until it can reach production goals of 150,000 trucks per year.
JAPANESE E-VEHICLE BATTERY COMPANY TO BUILD KENTUCKY PLANT
– A Japanese electric vehicle battery technology company will build a factory in Kentucky, creating 2,000 jobs in a $2 billion investment that reinforces the state’s leadership in battery production, Gov. Andy Beshear said Wednesday.
– The Envision AESC plant at Bowling Green in south-central Kentucky will produce battery cells and modules to power the next generation of electric vehicles, the Democratic governor said.
– The gigafactory’s products will be made for multiple auto manufacturers globally.
– Plans for the Kentucky plant follow the company’s announcements last year to build gigafactories in France and the United Kingdom. Envision AESC has 4,000 employees and 10 production plants in Japan, the U.S., the United Kingdom, China and France.
– In Kentucky, the Envision AESC project follows last year’s announcement that Ford and its battery partner will build twin battery plants outside Glendale in central Kentucky. That mega-project will create 5,000 jobs to produce batteries for the automaker’s next generation of electric vehicles.
CAN VINFAST MAKE EV BATTERY SUBSCRIPTIONS A THING?
– At the New York International Auto Show on Wednesday, Vietnamese automaker VinFast revealed battery subscription prices for the two electric SUVs it aims to sell in the U.S. market by the end of the year.
– VinFast’s battery leasing model involves selling its vehicles — the VF 8, a 5-passenger midsize SUV, and the VF 9, a 7-passenger SUV — without the battery pack included in the price.
– batteries are often the first components of a vehicle to die, so being able to simply replace it, rather than the whole car, can keep vehicles on the roads longer.
– The scheme is made potentially more complicated because VinFast says that by the end of 2023, 50% of the battery will be for rent while the rest is for sale along with the purchase of the car.
– The VF 8 will cost anywhere from $40,700 to $48,000 depending on trim and battery pack
– The VF 9 have a price range of $55,500 to $61,000.
– VinFast is offering a flexible plan of $35 per month for the VF 8 and $44 for the VF 9 for drivers who can stick to 310 miles of use each month. Going over the 310 miles will incur a charge of $0.11 and $0.15 per extra mile for the VF 8 and VF 9 respectively.
– For $110 per month and $160 per month for the VF 8 and VF 9, respectively, customers can have unlimited miles.
VINFAST AND ELECTRIFY AMERICA ANNOUNCE CHARGING AGREEMENT
– Infant EV automaker VinFast and US charging network Electrify America (EA) announced a new charging agreement during this year’s New York International Auto Show. As part of the collaboration, US Vinfast owners will have access to all of EA’s 3,500+ EV chargers through the VinFast mobile app. However, their complimentary charging sessions will be limited to two – a much smaller bonus compared to previous agreements with other automakers.
– Although EV production is not slotted to begin in North Carolina until 2024, US customers should see deliveries of Vietnamese-made VinFast vehicles next winter. Following a recent agreement with Electrify America, those VinFast customers will be able to take advantage of some complimentary charging sessions and other discounts included in their EV purchase.
– In addition to two complimentary 60 kWh charge sessions, Electrify America has stated VinFast owners will also be able to take advantage of a discounted membership on its network.
We asked EA for clarification on whether that means a discount on kWh when charging using the free Pass membership, or a discount on the $4 monthly fee for EA’s Pass+ membership. We have yet to hear back.
– US customers who purchase a 2022 BMW EV get complimentary 30-minute charge sessions for two years. Kia EV6 buyers get 1,000 kWh of free charging, equating to approximately 3,500-4,000 miles of range.
AIWAYS PRESENTS 2022 MODEL YEAR OF THE U5 ELECTRIC SUV
– The Chinese electric car manufacturer Aiways has announced some changes for the 2022 model year of the U5. There are technological improvements, new names for the equipment lines and an adjusted price structure: it will cost around 3,500 euros more. In addition, the U6 is completing its final tests.
– The electric drive remains essentially the same (150 kW output, the 63 kWh battery enables a WLTP range of up to 410 kilometres), but there is a change to the charging system: the new onboard charger enables three-phase charging with 11 kW, previously a maximum of 6.6 kW
– Aiways will in future deliver the U5 with a “universal ICCB charging cable”, “which facilitates access to three-phase 11 kW charging stations throughout Europe”. In other words, the U5 now comes with a mobile wallbox that enables charging at different connections using adapters.
NIO COMPLETES BATTERY SWAP NETWORK AROUND GUANGZHOU
– On April 14, the battery swap network covering the highways in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area metropolitan region was officially opened, NIO (NYSE: NIO, HKG: 9866) announced today.
– The battery swap network is centered in Guangzhou and Shenzhen and radiates to several cities
– NIO has 31 battery swap stations along the highways
– As of April 14, NIO has 893 battery swap stations in China, 237 of which are located along expressways, according to data monitored by CnEVPost.
– NIO also has 734 supercharging stations in China offering 4,092 charging piles, and 685 destination charging stations offering 3,892 charging piles.
WOLVERHAMPTON COLLEGE SET FOR £8.1M ELECTRIC VEHICLE CENTRE
– A new £8.1m centre to train students in how to make electric vehicles is to be built at a college.
– Plans have been approved for the technical centre at the City of Wolverhampton College’s Bilston campus.
– Once finished, the facility will create hundred of jobs and teach thousands of students, the application said.
Original Source : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-61099926
UBITRICITY HAS INSTALLED 5000 CHARGE POINTS IN THE UK
– Electric vehicle (EV) charging network ubitricity has successfully installed 5,000 EV charge points in the UK as part of its mission to install 50,000 electric vehicle charge points in the UK by 2025.
– Operating in the UK for over five years, ubitricity has contributed to the switch to e-mobility in the UK by converting existing lamp posts into charging points for electric vehicles in residential areas. With over 5,000 public EV charge points, ubitricity operates the largest public charging network in the country.
ELON MUSK WANTS TO BUY TWITTER IN FINAL $43 BILLION UNSOLICITED BID
– The world’s richest person will offer $54.20 per share in cash, representing a 54% premium over the Jan. 28 closing price and a valuation of about $43 billion. The social media company’s shares soared 18% in pre-market trading.
Musk, 50, announced the offer in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Thursday, after turning down a potential board seat at the company.
Twitter said that its board would review the proposal and any response would be in the best interests of “all Twitter stockholders.”
He’s currently worth about $260 billion according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, compared with Twitter’s market valuation of about $37 billion.
In a letter to Twitter’s board, Musk said he believes Twitter “will neither thrive nor serve [its free speech] societal imperative in its current form. Twitter needs to be transformed as a private company”
Musk has hired Morgan Stanley as his adviser for the bid. The offer price also includes the number 420, widely recognized as a coded reference to marijuana.
I invested in Twitter as I believe in its potential to be the platform for free speech around the globe, and I believe free speech is a societal imperative for a functioning democracy. However, since making my investment I now realize the company will neither thrive nor serve this societal imperative in its current form. Twitter needs to be transformed as a private company. As a result, I am offering to buy 100% of Twitter for $54.20 per share in cash, a 54% premium over the day before I began investing in Twitter and a 38% premium over the day before my investment was publicly announced. My offer is my best and final offer and if it is not accepted, I would need to reconsider my position as a shareholder. Twitter has extraordinary potential. I will unlock it.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
With the Tesla Cybertruck coming sometime in 2023, will the current crop like Rivian, F-150 and Hummer steal the market? Or is the Tesla truck worth waiting for?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT