Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 11th April, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
GIVE AND TAKE: THE TAYCAN AS A BUFFER FOR THE POWER GRID
– In future, when electric cars are not being driven, they could also feed energy back into the public power grid. As part of a wider pool of vehicles, they could effectively act as a power plant and help supply what is known as balancing power – electrical power that balances out fluctuations in the power grid.
– A realistic pilot test conducted by Porsche, the grid operator TransnetBW and consulting firm Intelligent Energy System Services (IE2S), has demonstrated that electrical balancing power can be stored in the high-voltage batteries of an intelligent swarm of electric cars. Five series-production Taycan were connected to the power grid via the Porsche Home Energy Manager (HEM) both in a domestic environment and under laboratory conditions. Experts from Porsche Engineering had already adapted the software of these control centres beforehand for the field test.
– With the expansion of renewable energies, balancing power will become even more important in the future for secure grid operation. This is because the power grid must always be stable, even though the wind and sun are not always producing consistent amounts of energy. If power grids are not stabilised at a constant 50 Hertz power frequency, there is a risk of power cuts. Until now, conventional power plants in particular have been responsible for cushioning these fluctuations. Using high-voltage batteries as a buffer would be a win-win situation: drivers of electric cars could be financially compensated for their contribution to balancing power.
– During the pilot test, detailed measurements showed that the target values from the grid control system were met. This applied to both the primary (FCR: frequency containment reserve) and secondary (aFRR: automatic frequency restoration reserve) balancing power.
DAVID BECKHAM GIFTS SON WITH ELECTRIC 1954 JAGUAR XK140 BY LUNAZ TO MARK HIS WEDDING
– Lunaz investor, David Beckham, has presented his son, Brooklyn and his daughter-in-law Nicola, with an all-electric Jaguar XK140 Open Two Seater (OTS) by Lunaz as a gift to mark his eldest child’s wedding in Palm Beach, FL, USA.
– This clean-air classic, bespoke commissioned by Beckham is the product of thousands of hours of work from the company’s 120 strong team of craftspeople, designers and electric vehicle technicians and was built entirely in-house at the home of Lunaz in Silverstone, England.
– The fully restored and upcycled interior is presented in a light cream, offering contemporary expression to the car’s classic aesthetic. Like every classic by Lunaz, modern technology is discreetly hidden. Dials and switches faithfully reflect the original Jaguar design but with subtle updates to provide information on the battery level and to operate contemporary functions.
NHTSA OPENS INVESTIGATION INTO ELECTRIC VEHICLE BATTERIES
– U.S. safety regulators have opened an investigation into electric and hybrid vehicle batteries after five automakers issued recalls due to possible defects that could cause fires or stalling.
– The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says the inquiry covers more than 138,000 vehicles with batteries made by LG Energy Solution of South Korea.
– The agency says it will write to LG and other companies that might have bought similar batteries to make sure recalls are being done when needed.
– Data on electric vehicle fires is limited, but a small sample in April of 2021 by the insurance industry’s Highway Loss Data Institute found that EVs and their conventional gas counterparts had about the same number of non-crash fire claims per 1,000 insured vehicle years.The institute tracked claims for 10 EVs and their gas equivalents and found that EVs had 0.19 fire claims per 1,000 insured vehicle years compared with 0.2 for gasoline counterparts.
TESLA DELIVERS IMPRESSIVE OUTPUT FROM GIGAFACTORY SHANGHAI IN MARCH DESPITE FACTORY SHUTDOWN
– Tesla has managed to deliver over 65,000 vehicles produced at Gigafactory Shanghai in March, an impressive output representing 100% year-over-year growth, despite the factory shutdown.
– The China Passenger Car Association (CPCA) announced today results for car registration in China in March.
– They confirmed that Tesla China had an output of 65,814 vehicles with only 60 of them for exports.
– The results are even more impressive when you take into account that Tesla had not one but two factory shutdowns in March due to COVID-19 restrictions.
– Based on the CPCA data, it means that 190,446 Tesla vehicles came from China during the first quarter – more than half of the 310,000 vehicles it delivered last quarter.
THE WORLD’S FIRST ALL-ELECTRIC RACE BOAT SUCCESSFULLY ACED ITS FIRST TEST
– Have you heard of the E1 World Electric Powerboat Series? It’s the Formula 1 for race boats and it boasts some pretty powerful models.
– The E1 series will essentially be an electrified version of the F1H20 powerboat racing series and will utilize a hydrofoil design for its boats, allowing them to be lifted some 16 in (40 cm) over the water’s surface.
– Now, one of the boasts called the RaceBird made to compete in the race has finally been tested and it performed even better than expected, according to a statement published by E1 on Monday.
– The RaceBird was engineered by Alejandro Agag, the founder of the Formula E and Extreme E electric racing series, and Rodi Basso, the former Director of Motorsport at McLaren.
Original Source : https://interestingengineering.com/e1-racebird-electric-race-boat
CHINA AUTO SALES SLUMP IN MARCH ON COVID CURBS, TESLA PRODUCTION SLUGGISH
– Tesla has suspended production at its Shanghai factory since March 28, while Volkswagen’s (VOWG_p.DE) Shanghai joint venture paused operations this month. Volkswagen and Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) joint ventures with their Chinese partners in Changchun, Jilin’s capital, have been suspended since mid-March.
– Tesla only assembled 55,462 units in March when it also paused production for two days in the middle of the month, data from a separate association showed.That was just 154 more than in February, a much shorter month for workers due to the Lunar New Year holiday. By comparison, the plant made 68,117 vehicles in January.
– Chinese buyers have rushed to place orders, worried that Tesla may raise prices further after announcing price hikes in November and March due to the higher costs of raw materials.
CHINA SEES WHOLESALE SALES OF PASSENGER NEVS AT 455,000 UNITS IN MARCH
– China’s wholesale sales of new energy passenger vehicles reached 455,000 units in March, up 122.4 percent year-on-year and up 43.6 percent from February, according to a report released today by the China Passenger Car Association (CPCA).
– This includes 371,000 BEVs (battery electric vehicles) and 84,000 PHEVs
– Retail sales of new energy passenger vehicles from January to March were 1.07 million units
BMW I3 SEDAN MAKES VIDEO DEBUT, FIRST 3 SERIES WITH AIR SUSPENSION
– The BMW i3 is dead. Long live the i3. That’s one way to sum up what BMW has in tow for the alphanumeric moniker introduced in 2013. The globally sold hatchback will exist the Leipzig assembly line in July, but the namesake i3 Sedan is about to enter production in China. Following its reveal a couple of weeks ago, the 3 Series without a combustion engine stars in its first video.
– One feature tucked away in the press release represents an absolute novelty for the 3 Series. For the first time since the model line was introduced in 1975, the i3 Sedan gets air suspension. It’s only for the rear axle and comes to improve the ride quality as seen in superior BMWs.
– Air suspension is long overdue considering archrival Mercedes C-Class has had Airmatic for many years. It’s unclear whether the facelifted 3 Series for international markets will gain this feature.
Original Source : https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/04/10/bmw-i3-sedan-video-air-suspension/
MERCEDES-BENZ PRODUCED MORE THAN 25,000 ELECTRIC VANS
– Mercedes-Benz Vans celebrates a milestone of 25,000 battery-electric vans produced cumulatively since 2010 when a limited number of Vito E-Cell rolled off the production line.
– The current lineup includes three models – Mercedes-Benz eVito (mid-size van and passenger Tourer version), Mercedes-Benz eSprinter (large van) and Mercedes-Benz EQV 300 (passenger van). The eVito entered the market in 2017, the eSprinter in 2019, while the EQV in 2020.
– The next step will be the introduction of the all-new small-size vans: Mercedes-Benz eCitan and Mercedes-Benz EQT in 2022 (both closely related to the all-new Renault Kangoo Van E-TECH Electric and Nissan Townstar). Initially, the EQT will be a 5-seater, followed by a 7-seater in 2023
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/578917/mercedes-produced-25000-electric-vans/
THE LAST BIG OBSTACLE TO ELECTRIC CARS IS REQUIRES A MENTAL FIX IN OUR TRAVEL HABITS
– The average American drives fewer than 40 miles a day, well within the 200- to 300-mile range of most current-model electric cars. Yet electric cars still make up less than 5 percent of new motor vehicle sales.
– s EV technology has improved, range anxiety—the fear of running out of juice before you get where you’re going—has given way to anxiety about where you’re going to charge and how long it will take. And that may be holding people back from making the leap from gas to electric.
– Some people barely need public chargers. The roughly half of Americans who park in their own driveways or garages can plug in their cars when they get home each night and drive to work the next morning on a full charge. The cost is barely noticeable on their utility bill, about equivalent to running a refrigerator overnight.
– A PwC report estimates that people who drive an average of 10,000 miles a year spend at least $1,500 at the pump compared to around $300 for on-the-go charging.
– As electric charging winds its way into the mainstream, our fueling habits will have to keep adapting.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
With the Tesla Cybertruck coming sometime in 2023, will the current crop like Rivian, F-150 and Hummer steal the market? Or is the Tesla truck worth waiting for?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT