Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Friday 8th April, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
TESLA DEBUTS NEW MODEL Y STANDARD RANGE WITH 4680 STRUCTURAL BATTERY
– Tesla’s new Standard Range All-Wheel-Drive Model Y all-electric crossover with 4680 battery cells is present at the Cyber Rodeo event the automaker is holding at its new production facility in Austin, Texas.
– In mid-March, Tesla hacker green indicated the new Model Y configuration, which was listed as an SR+, or Standard Range Plus, trim level, was added to a software update the automaker was rolling out.
Now, Tesla Raj, who is in attendance at the Cyber Rodeo in Texas, is indicating a Model Y at the factory fits the description of the one added to the EPA’s FuelEconomy website last month.
– An online Tesla VIN Decoder shows the vehicle was manufactured at the new plant in Austin and is, in fact, a Standard Range version of the Model Y.
TESLA NOW EXPECTS GIGAFACTORY SHANGHAI SHUTDOWN TO EXTEND TO AT LEAST FRIDAY
– Tesla says that it now doesn’t expect to be able to restart production at Gigafactory Shanghai until at least Friday, and even that could be difficult amid a citywide lockdown that is extending longer than planned.
– On Wednesday, the second phase of the two-phase city lockdown was supposed to end, but the authorities have extended it indefinitely amid continued spread despite the measures in place.
– This is creating a difficult situation for Tesla, and it informed employees and suppliers that it now doesn’t expect to restart production until at least Friday, April 8.
– It will make it 12 days of Gigafactory Shanghai not being operational – the longest shutdown since it started operations in 2019.
ELON MUSK DISCUSSED ELECTRIC CARS WITH GM CEO, WHITE HOUSE
– The Biden administration said senior officials held a meeting Wednesday with major automotive leaders including Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk and General Motors Chief Executive Mary Barra to discuss electric vehicles and charging.
– The administration said in a statement “there was broad consensus that charging stations and vehicles need to be interoperable and provide a seamless user experience, no matter what car you drive or where you charge your EV.”
– Ford Motor Chief Executive Jim Farley, Chrysler-parent Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares, Lucid CEO Peter Rawlinson and Nissan Americas chair Jeremie Papin were among other auto leaders who took part in Wednesday’s meeting, which discussed US funding to “create a national network of 500,000 chargers.”
GM, HONDA WILL BUILD NEW SERIES OF ‘AFFORDABLE’ ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– General Motors and America Honda Motor Co. will codevelop a new series of “affordable” electric vehicles that will go on sale starting in 2027.
– The automakers announced Tuesday they are expanding their existing partnership started in 2013 to develop EVs based on a new global architecture that uses GM’s Ultium battery technology.
– EV development is costly, so collaboration helps, “spread the costs, speed development and hopefully accelerate electric vehicle adoption,” said Michelle Krebs, executive analyst for Cox Automotive.
– GM spokesman Jim Cain said the company will announce where the new EVs will be built at a future time.
GM TO LAUNCH AD CAMPAIGN FOR CHEVY BOLT IN WAKE OF RECALL
– General Motors on Wednesday announced the launch of an advertising campaign for its Chevrolet Bolt to win back consumers following the expensive recall that had stopped production of the electric vehicle for most of the last seven months.
– The first ads will air on Thursday during Major League Baseball’s opening-day games, following Monday’s resumption of Bolt production at its plant in Orion Township, Michigan.
– Bolt could finish with the second highest media spend this year for Chevy behind the Silverado pickup, Chevy marketing director Steven Majoros said on a conference call, without disclosing detailed spending plans. GM spent US$3.3 billion on advertising and promotions last year.
VW GETS TO GROUND ID ELECTRIC CARS FOR AN OVER-THE-AIR UPDATE
– Tesla has offered over-the-air updates for many years, but Volkswagen has been slow to get into the game. While the company just introduced the latest OTA for ID cars, VW now finds that many of the EVs to receive it, need a recall first for a hands-on update.
– A few days ago, Volkswagen presented the new software generation 3.0 for the MEB models as reported. The update is scheduled for Q2 2022 via an over-the-air update for all ID models already delivered and will be installed ex works for newly produced vehicles.
– The purpose of the workshop visit, a VW spokesperson said, is to bring the existing fleet up to as uniform a software status as possible. “We have noticed that there are currently still a lot of vehicles on the road with very different software statuses,” they said. The ID.3 and ID.4 cars will first have to receive software version 2.4 at the dealership, without which the over-the-air update to version 3.0 is not even possible, VW explained.
CHASE BANK, EVGO TO ADD EV CHARGING STATIONS AT 50 US BANK BRANCHES
– Chase is partnering with EVgo to pilot electric vehicle charging stations at select branches across the country, the company announced Thursday. The move is part of the bank’s push to promote sustainability and reduce its carbon footprint.
– The company said it’s aiming to have EV chargers installed at 50 branches across the country by summer 2023. Construction on the first location in Carmel, Indiana, has already begun, and will open this summer.
THE SMART #1 IS AN ADORABLE NEW ELECTRIC SUV THAT WON’T COME TO AMERICA
– Mercedes killed off its Smart brand in the US in 2019 after 11 years of selling the Fortwo microcar, but the brand has lived on in Europe and other markets and went electric-only. Now Smart is finally expanding its product lineup with the brand’s first SUV, which was previewed by a concept at last year’s Munich Auto Show. Called the #1, which is literally pronounced ‘hashtag one,’ the compact SUV is super cute and compelling, even if doesn’t have an immediately recognizable Smart identity.
– the #1 is a couple inches longer than a Kia Soul, and it’s about an inch and a half taller. It has triangular LED headlights with a central light bar connecting them, smooth body surfacing with flush door handles
– A super-slim 9.2-inch screen sits in front of the driver and is augmented by a 10-inch head-up display, and there’s a freestanding 12.8-inch touchscreen in the center of the dash
– the #1 uses Geely’s SEA electric architecture. It has a 66-kilowatt-hour battery pack with a single electric motor powering the rear wheels that puts out 268 horsepower and 253 pound-feet of torque. Smart says the #1 has a max range of 273 miles on the European WLTP cycle and can charge from 10% to 80% in under 30 minutes
Original Source : https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/smart-no-1-suv-ev-design-specs-debut/
NEW 2025 VOLVO XC60 TO GAIN ESTATE STYLING AND EV OPTION
– Among the crucial models in development as part of Volvo’s EV onslaught is the all-new, all-electric and all-important successor to the Volvo XC60. The SUV has been the Swedish brand’s best-selling car for the past four years running.
– Due in 2024 to fill the gap between the XC40 Recharge electric SUV and the long-awaited electric replacement for the XC90 SUV coming later this year, the XC60 successor (which will have a name rather than a numerical designation) will play a core role in taking Volvo to its goal of all-out electrification by 2030.
– The BMW iX3 rival will be the first production car to be powered by batteries produced by the new joint venture of Volvo and battery company Northvolt, which is building a new battery factory in Sweden with a view to reaching an annual output of 50GWh by 2026.
– Before that factory opens, Volvo will procure batteries for the XC60 replacement from Northvolt’s existing facility
GOGORO’S PUBLIC DEBUT COULD SUPERCHARGE EV BATTERY SWAPPING ACROSS THE GLOBE
– Gogoro, the company behind Taiwan’s thriving two-wheeler battery swapping ecosystem, is poised to succeed where others have tried and could not — and now it has the cash to do so.
– On Monday, the company closed its merger with special purpose acquisition company Poema Global and is now listing on the Nasdaq
– the company is focusing on the markets where it can win — namely dense Asian cities where two-wheeled vehicles are already popular. Gogoro will use the fresh funds from its IPO to continue to expand in Taiwan as it branches outward to larger markets like China, India and Indonesia.
– In Taipei, a quarter of all new scooters sold last December were electric, and nationally, 97% of e-scooters sold in 2021 were either Gogoro scooters or powered by Gogoro’s batteries and charging infrastructure, according to data shared by Taiwan’s government.
FIAT AIMS TO BE PEOPLE’S TESLA, CONFIRMS FOUR NEW MODELS FOR EUROPE
– As many as four brand new Fiat vehicles will be launched on the Old continent starting with a new supermini coming next year.
– The first to arrive will be a Ford Fiesta, Volkswagen Polo, and Opel Corsa rival, expected to be available with combustion, hybrid, and electric powertrains. It will be “Punto size but not called Punto”, Fiat boss Olivier François told Autocar
– The other three new models will be crossovers and one of them will be called Panda. It won’t just adopt the legendary name but will reportedly succeed the original model in its minimalist approach and spirit. The 500, meanwhile, will continue to be offered around Europe, where it is enjoying strong demand with the fully redesigned 500e.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/578423/fiat-four-new-models-europe/
MCDONALD’S CANADA INTRODUCES FIRST-EVER ELECTRIC VEHICLE TO DISTRIBUTION FLEET
– McDonald’s Canada today announced the addition of the first-ever electric vehicle (EV) to its distribution fleet. With its supply chain distribution partner, Martin Brower, McDonald’s Canada will trial the new Volvo VNR Electric Class 8 tractor for distribution to restaurants in the Montréal area.
– The test of this zero-tailpipe emission tractor is part of McDonald’s Canada’s larger plan to transition to lower-emission vehicles in the supply chain fleet that serves more than 1,400 restaurants across the country, where feasible.
– The Volvo VNR Electric tractor will pull McDonald’s-branded trailers for deliveries to local McDonald’s restaurants within a range of 150 km. The trial will evaluate the tractor’s performance in a variety of weather conditions.
MERCEDES-BENZ SALES OF BATTERY ELECTRIC VEHICLES TRIPLE IN Q1
– Mercedes-Benz sales of plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicles reach 67,800 units in the January to March quarter
– The electrification of the brand continues to gather pace. Driven by the EQA, EQS and the EQC models, Mercedes-Benz was able to more than triple sales of battery electric EQ models to reach 21,900 (+210%) units.
– Plug-in hybrid vehicles also set a new first quarter record with 45,900 (+8%) sales. In total, the Mercedes-Benz Cars xEVs (BEV including smart and plug-in hybrids combined) now amount to a share of 15% of new car sales.
BMW GROUP MORE THAN DOUBLED ELECTRIC VEHICLE SALES IN Q1 2022
– For more good news, the popularity of electric vehicles was substantially up in Q1 2022. In this interval, BMW and MINI managed to deliver a combined 35,289 EVs. It represents a massive increase of 149.2%, fueled by the success of the i4, iX, and the Cooper SE. By the end of the year, the Group hopes to more than double its sales of zero-emission vehicles compared to 2021.
– The i3 hatchback is going away this year, with production scheduled to come to an end in July. However, the i3 Sedan was just unveiled and will be made and sold exclusively in China. It’s based on the long-wheelbase 3 Series and it previews the mid-cycle facelift BMW has prepared for the global 3er. Much like the iX3 also built in China, it comes exclusively in rear-wheel-drive form.
– By the end of 2022, the BMW Group will have 15 EVs in production, including pre-series vehicles.
– . The next MINI Cooper SE will be made in China while the electric Countryman is going to be assembled in Leipzig.
– We also know the i5 due to go on sale in 2023 will enter pre-production before the end of this year.
POSTEN NORGE TO REPLACE 177 DIESEL VANS WITH ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– Norwegian postal service Posten Norge is to replace 177 of its diesel delivery vans with electric vans (EV).
The first 132 electric Opel Combo-e mail vans have already arrived and are ready for use around the country, with another 45 vans to be added to the fleet shortly.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Mirror.co.uk: “An electric car owner has warned other EV drivers they can be fined for charging their vehicle in supermarket car parks. Electric vehicle owner Max Wilkinson – who is also a Cheltenham Councillor – recently bought a four-year-old hybrid Mini Countryman. He went home – but returned two hours later by which time the hybrid Mini was about half-charged. A week later Max received a penalty notice saying he’d been fined £90. Mr Wilkinson has paid the fine and doesn’t dispute it. But he does think it doesn’t quite make sense to restrict car charging to 90 minutes as well.
– He said: “It seems illogical that quite a lot of EV and hybrid owners won’t be allowed to spend enough time in the car park to get a full charge.”
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
OCTOPUS ELECTRIC JUICE – MAKING PUBLIC CHARGING SIMPLE WITH ONE CARD, ONE MAP AND ONE APP
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT