Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of EV information. It’s Monday 28th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
TESLA EXTENDS CHINA’S ELECTRIC CAR FACTORY SUSPENSION
– Tesla Inc. is extending the production pause at its Shanghai plant to Thursday after the city was placed into a phased lockdown to curb a surge in Covid-19 cases, people familiar with the matter said.
– Originally suspended for a day, production at the Gigafactory near China’s main financial center will now be halted for four days, to resume at this stage on April 1, said the people, who asked not to be identified because they’re not authorized to speak publicly.
– Areas east of the Huangpu River, where the Tesla plant is located, will be locked down on Monday for four days.
TESLA WORRIES HEAT UP AS MAJOR EXEC GOES MIA
– news Monday that Tesla head of AI, Adrej Karpathy, will be taking a four-month sabbatical.On Sunday, Musk dropped a tweet announcing the sabbatical. The public reaction to the news resulted in Adrej explaining what he will be doing with his time.
– For people who have been following the saga, in the past executives who have taken long sabbaticals from Tesla have ended up never coming back.
– Doug Field, Tesla’s former senior vice president of engineering, took a leave of absence back in 2018.
– based on recent history, that sabbatical could be the beginning of his end at the company.
Andrej Karpathy on Twitter:
– Taking some time off to rest&travel after almost 5 years at Tesla. Esp excited to get focused time to re-sharpen my technical edge and train some neural nets! Though I already miss all the robots and GPU/Dojo clusters and looking forward to having them at my fingertips again
– A number of people asked – I am doing a “digital nomad” trip, packed up in one backpack and going east, saying hi to friends along the way and reading papers/writing code. Currently in UK, continuing to Europe, Asia and wrapping around back to Bay Area.
HERTZ CONFIRMS THE TESLA MODEL Y VERSION IT WILL RENT
– The rental car agency announced last week that Model Ys will soon be joining the Model 3s that are already at several locations as part of its planned purchase of 100,000 Teslas this year.
– The specific Model Y it is advertising has all-wheel-drive, the standard 19-inch wheels and an EPA-rated range of 330 miles of range between charges
– Tesla hasn’t said what’s up, but speculation is that it is a new entry-level variant featuring Tesla’s new 4680 battery cell that is being built at its Austin, Tex., factory.
TESLA CEO ELON MUSK SAYS HE HAS COVID AGAIN
– Elon Musk on Monday said he has apparently contracted COVID-19, but has “almost no symptoms.” This is the second time Musk has reported a bout of the disease: In in November 2020, he said he had tested positive.
– Musk’s Monday tweet didn’t specify whether he had done a COVID test, but suggested he might be experiencing some mild and unspecified COVID-19 symptoms.
Original Source : https://www.cnet.com/health/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-says-he-has-covid-again/
HYUNDAI MOTOR’S IONIQ 5 RANKS TOP IN AUTO BILD’S EV TEST
– Hyundai Motor Group said Monday that its flagship electric vehicle Ioniq 5 has ranked top in German automotive magazine Auto Bild’s EV test, beating other European rivals such as Audi Q4 e-tron and Polestar 2.
– In the latest edition of Auto Bild, the vehicles were tested and evaluated based on seven categories including performance of powertrain, driving comfort, connectivity, eco-friendliness and price competitiveness.
– Ioniq 5 ranked top in four categories with a total of 573 points, beating Audi Q4 e-tron and Polestar 2 which garnered 565 points and 553 points, respectively.
Original Source : http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20220328000664
ENERGICA TO HELP OEMS TRANSITION TO ELECTRIC WITH ENERGICA INSIDE
– Energica’s run in the single-make race series will draw to a close following the 2022 season. The company isn’t letting all the knowledge go to waste, though. By establishing Energica Inside, a business arm dedicated to partnering with manufacturers and startups, the brand aims to speed up electrification transitions and reduce time to market.
– With many mobility sectors transitioning to electric in the coming years, Energica is positioning itself as a leader in the industry. The manufacturer may have conceded its spot in the MotoE championship to Ducati, but it intends to make its mark on the broader electric mobility market.
VW RESTARTS MEB PRODUCTION IN ZWICKAU
– Production of the MEB models at the VW plant in Zwickau has started again – a few days earlier than planned. Production of the MEB SUV Skoda Enyaq in the Czech Republic, on the other hand, will be paused for a little longer, which will also affect the order availability of some variants.
– , with a two-shift operation planned. They said that the supply situation for components had “improved in the short term”. In Dresden, ID.3 production is scheduled to restart on Wednesday, 30 March.
– After the outbreak of the Ukraine war, production in Zwickau and Dresden had to be stopped very early because cable harnesses from the Leoni plant in western Ukraine could no longer be delivered. The production interruption also affects the market launch of the ID.5, which VW had postponed last week.
SVOLT REACHED 200 WH/KG WITH LFP BATTERY CELLS
– Finally, SVOLT confirmed that it has reached this milestone and their battery cells are available for automakers to order.
– Until sodium-ion batteries (NIBs) for electric vehicles become mass-produced in large scale, LFP (LiFePO4) is still the best cobalt-free battery technology widely available that allows electric cars to compete with their ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) alternatives, in price and availability.
– Moreover, with the CTP (cell-to-pack) technology, where battery packs don’t have modules, a GCTP (gravimetric-cell-to-pack) ratio of 90 % is standard. This means that 200 Wh/kg at the cell level becomes 180 Wh/kg at the pack level. Pretty impressive…
– Don’t forget that SVOLT expects to reach 230 Wh/kg with its LFP battery cells by 2023, this represents around 207 Wh/kg at the battery pack level.
APPS AND REAL TIME DATA TO BE CRUCIAL TO ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING
– Mobile apps and open real time data should play a key role in the development of a national infrastructure of electric vehicle (EV) charging points, according to the Government’s new strategy paper.
– The points are within the new document, Taking charge: the electric vehicle infrastructure strategy, which is aimed at boosting the number of chargepoints for EVs and making them easier for people to use.
– This is accompanied by a plan to mandate, through legislation later this year, that operators should provide real time data on chargepoints to help consumers compare prices and easily pay using contactless cards, QR codes or online channels. They should also be able to use apps to find the nearest available chargepoint.
– Local authorities will also be invited to bid for shares of a £10 million pot to work with industry on increasing the number of public chargepoints.
NISSAN CHARGE EV CUSTOMERS RECEIVE ACCESS TO IONITY
– Users of the Nissan Charge app will receive full access to the charging network of IONITY, Europe’s leading highway charging network, in preparation of the electrifying product offensive expected this year led by the all-new Ariya and Townstar EV.
– the expansion enables Nissan Charge users to plug into IONITY’s widespread network of 1,600 fast-charging units in 24 countries across Europe.
– When purchasing a new Nissan Charge subscription, future customers of Nissan Ariya and Townstar EV will receive lower pricing rates when accessing IONITY’s charging stations through the Nissan Charge app
– the Nissan Charge app provides customers with access to a network of more than 250,000 public charging points across Europe.
Original Source : https://europe.nissannews.com/en-GB/releases/release-9cd833c24c8642e8989dd682776f07a4-nissan-charge-ev-customers-receive-another-boost-with-access-to-ionitys-european-fast-charger-network
NEW DETAILS ABOUT THE BMW I7 EMERGE
– We can now confirm that the i7 will be offered as an xDrive60, meaning it will have all-wheel drive and, presumably, the same electric motor as the iX M60 SUV. If this is the case, we can expect up to 610 horsepower and 811 lb-ft of torque. Other variants likely to join the range include an i7 xDrive50 and, probably, a more performance-oriented M-enhanced model.
– the massive BMW Theater Screen allows passengers to relax in a private lounge setting. The 31-inch screen boasts 8K resolution, 5G connectivity, and works in tandem with the luxury car’s high-end audio system.
– BMW says the large electric sedan will be available with exclusive Crystal Headlights to “make a boldly luxurious statement.”
Original Source : https://carbuzz.com/news/new-details-about-the-bmw-i7-emerge
HORRENDOUSLY, FORD WANTS TO TURN YOUR EV INTO AN OFFICE
– As if the Zoom fatigue of the past two years and the transformation of our homes into working spaces weren’t enough, Ford has a vision of your car becoming the “best mobile office.”
– To make this happen, the automaker has teamed up with Cisco, which will integrate its Webex video conferencing app into the infotainment systems of Ford’s new EVs — like the F-150 Lightning, for instance.
– Called “Webex on the Go,” the app enables potential in-car workers to access meetings hands-free with voice activation.
– And don’t you worry about being distracted while driving. Because the online calls will be restricted to audio mode when the vehicle’s on the move, video will only be activated when the car’s parked.
– Darren Palmer, Vice President, Ford Electric Vehicle Programs:
We don’t see why people wouldn’t be using their vehicles as a fantastic quality office.
CATL ANNOUNCED A KIRIN BATTERY WITH 13% MORE POWER THAN TESLA’S 4680 DESIGN
– On March 26, at the 2022 China EV Council 100 Forum, CATL’s Chief Scientist Wu Kai said that CATL announced the launch of its third generation of CTP (cell to pack) technology, internally known as Kirin battery.
– Wu said that with the same chemistry system and the same pack size, the Kirin battery can deliver 13% more power compared to the 4680 design, Wu said. 4680s are lithium-ion tabless batteries, a new type of high energy density battery released by Tesla
– CATL was the first to achieve mass production of non-thermal diffusion battery technology on its 811 product in September 2020. The non-thermal diffusion battery technology is a directional thermal conductivity technology that can control that the system does not fire even if the monomer thermal runs away.
– A 1000km or more range may not be necessary on top of new energy vehicles. Still, this technology means that electrification such as ships, mining vehicles, excavators will become increasingly sophisticated.
– CATL will still focus on the development of square cells and CTP. In contrast, Tesla has made it clear that it wants to use 4680 cells and CTC technology as the main direction for future development, with self-built battery factories based on 4680 cells.
– CTC technology (cell-to-chassis) is an integration of the battery cells directly into the chassis, eliminating the need for a battery pack case. The essence of both is to increase energy density and reduce costs.
DAIMLER TRUCK CEO ASSERTS PRICE OF ELECTRIC VEHICLE WILL “FOREVER BE HIGHER”
– Daimler Truck CEO Martin Daum served a dose of a reality check on the global shift to electric vehicles, saying that the price to build one will “forever be higher” than its combustion engine component.
– In an interview with the Financial Times, the firm’s chief explained how governments can step in to level the field and make it favorable for automakers to produce more electric vehicles. “Without any subsidies . . . the price of an [electric] truck will always, forever be higher than a [combustion engine] truck,” said Daum.
– “If you take the entirety of engine, transmission, axle, tank system, cooling… we have a maximum of about €25,000. How much battery do you get for €25,000? Even if [battery costs fall to] €60 per kilowatt-hour, and I need 400 kilowatt-hours, then I need €24,000 alone for the battery cells.”
– “Our battery vehicles are in series production, meaning we can produce thousands of them. The limiting factors are the infrastructure and the framework for cost parity with conventional vehicles. All three factors need to be in place so that our customers can make zero-emission vehicles, the backbone of their fleets,” said Daum.
ELECTRIC VEHICLE ACCESS IS GROWING PRIORITY IN LOW-INCOME COMMUNITIES
– Even with that growth, electric vehicles and especially charging stations are still much more likely to be seen in wealthier areas – affluent white males made up a disproportionate number of early adopters – compared with low and moderate-income neighborhoods. The vehicles also have made less of an inroad among communities of color, activists say.
– Access to electric vehicles for all demographics and incomes is necessary as a matter of fairness and justice, advocates and community members say. It also can provide immediate benefits for members of neglected communities, who tend to rack up higher vehicle mileage, the result of longer commutes due to lack of affordable housing near their jobs; the high number of lower-income people earning a living driving for ride-share services such as Uber and Lyft; and lack of necessary products and services near their homes.
– low-income neighborhoods often are located near highways, ports and industrial areas responsible for increased air pollution and concerns about accompanying health risks. That means these are the neighborhoods that could most benefit from cleaner air and other environmental improvements, experts say.
– At Los Angeles’ Rancho San Pedro public housing project, close to the Port of Los Angeles and truck-filled freeways that aggravate air quality, residents are finding an affordable alternative to high gas prices and cleaner transportation in a pilot electric vehicle car-share program launched by the non-profit Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator in concert with the city’s housing authority.
– Residents can drive a 2019 Nissan LEAF S or 2020 Nissan LEAF SV+ to go to doctors’ appointments, buy groceries and do other errands at a rate subsidized through the program – $3 per hour, instead of $9
– Regardless of socioeconomic level, electric vehicle education, engagement and access has to improve for communities of color, a growing population that will become an ever-increasing share of car buyers
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Mirror.co.uk: “An electric car owner has warned other EV drivers they can be fined for charging their vehicle in supermarket car parks. Electric vehicle owner Max Wilkinson – who is also a Cheltenham Councillor – recently bought a four-year-old hybrid Mini Countryman. He went home – but returned two hours later by which time the hybrid Mini was about half-charged. A week later Max received a penalty notice saying he’d been fined £90. Mr Wilkinson has paid the fine and doesn’t dispute it. But he does think it doesn’t quite make sense to restrict car charging to 90 minutes as well.
– He said: “It seems illogical that quite a lot of EV and hybrid owners won’t be allowed to spend enough time in the car park to get a full charge.”
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT