Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Friday 18th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
VW DELAYS MEB PRODUCTION IN ZWICKAU UNTIL APRIL
– Volkswagen’s electric car plant in Zwickau will not resume production until the beginning of April. The reason for this is the lack of cable harnesses from Ukraine, which could not be delivered due to Russia’s invasion of the neighbouring country.
– Previously there had been talk of a production break at the VW plants in Zwickau and Dresden until at least 18 March.
– As the MEB series production in Emden (ID. 4) and Hanover (ID. Buzz) is not yet running (only the pre-series), Zwickau and Dresden are currently the only VW locations in Europe where the MEB vehicles are built.
– In Emden, where the Passat is built in addition to the ID.4 pre-series, there should be no restrictions in the coming weeks. In Wolfsburg,
MERCEDES-BENZ EQG: TIMING CONFIRMED FOR FACTORY G-WAGEN EV
– Mercedes has finally confirmed the new, all-electric Mercedes-Benz EQG is slated for sale in 2024. The confirmation comes from the very top: Mercedes-Benz Chairman Ola Kallenius
– MotorTrend talked to the Management Board chief this week in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, where Mercedes officially opened a battery plant to supply the 2023 EQS three-row electric SUV and the smaller Mercedes-Benz EQE two-row SUV, which will be built at the neighboring vehicle assembly plant.
– Kallenius confirms the final production model rides on a modified version of the current G-Class platform.
– That means it does not share the current EVA2 architecture used for the EQS and EQE SUV families. Nor does the EQG wait for the automaker’s new dedicated EV architectures that are still in development.
Original Source : https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-mercedes-benz-eqg-g-class-ev/
PORSCHE SAYS 80 PERCENT OF ITS CARS WILL BE ELECTRIC BY 2030
– Porsche is today updating the world on its financial results and, by extension, its plans to remain relevant
– The German luxury brand said that it had seen sales leap by €4.4 billion (around $4.8 billion) and plenty of interest in its models. For the third year running, Porsche’s pure-EV Taycan line managed to outsell the iconic 911
– The company has said that it wants 80 percent of its sales to be “all-electric” by 2030
– The company added that it is looking to get new, high-performance battery cells from Cellforce which are due to begin shipping in 2024.
PORSCHE CONFIRMS NEXT-GEN 718 WILL BE ALL-ELECTRIC
– Porsche at its annual conference on Friday confirmed that the next-generation 718 will use nothing but battery-electric powertrains. This will make the 718 the third Porsche vehicle to shift to pure electricity, following the Taycan, which has been out for a couple years now, and the next-gen Macan, which we should see soon. CEO Oliver Blume said the electric 718 would arrive in 2025.
– This signals a more aggressive push into the battery-electric space, where previously Porsche had leaned heavier on plug-in hybrids as a sort of steppingstone.
PORSCHE TO BUILD OUT ITS OWN NETWORK OF EV CHARGING STATIONS
– Porsche said it will start building out its own proprietary global network of charging stations next year, a departure from its initial strategy to rely on partnerships with other companies.
– The plan, which was revealed during the company’s annual meeting, comes as Porsche prepares to expand its EV portfolio beyond the Taycan to at least two more models, the Macan and 718, by 2025.
– The first Porsche-branded charging locations will be built in high-demand areas beginning next year in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria, company executives said.
– The charging stations will also have amenities akin to a lounge, where customers might sip coffee or work while their batteries recharge.
– Porsche will continue to support the Ionity partnership and tout the benefits of the Electrify America network of 670 charging stations across 46 states and Washington, D.C. But a proprietary network gives Porsche direct control over the customer experience and quality of the charging stations.
Original Source : https://techcrunch.com/2022/03/18/porsche-builds-ev-charging-network/
TESLA RESTARTS PRODUCTION AT SHANGHAI PLANT AFTER TWO-DAY STOPPAGE -SOURCES
– Tesla (TSLA.O) resumed production at its Shanghai factory on Friday after a two day suspension, people familiar with the matter said, as movement controls imposed on its workers as part of the city’s efforts to curb the latest COVID-19 outbreak eased.
– The Shanghai factory restarted its two-shift production from 7 a.m. local time (2300 GMT) to run around the clock, said the people. Enough workers have returned to their positions after being cordoned off in nearby residential compounds for 48 hours where they were required to be tested for COVID-19
TESLA STILL DOMINATES US ELECTRIC CAR MARKET, AND IT’S NOT EVEN CLOSE
– New registration data show that Tesla is still dominating the US electric car market, and it’s not even close. Something is going to have to break for EV adoption to accelerate in the country.
– For the entire year of 2020, Tesla vehicles accounted for 79% of new electric vehicles registered in the US.
Now new data has come out for 2021 as part of a new report based on registration data from Experian, and Tesla is a bit down, as expected. But, the company still holds a strong majority of EV market shares in the United States.
– Tesla still holds 69.95% EV market share in the United States with Nissan coming in at a distant second place with 8.51%:
– According to Tesla’s delivery timelines for new orders, the automaker is still enjoying some large backlogs for almost every version of each model.
TESLA ASKS OWNERS IN CHINA TO PROMISE NOT TO RESELL THEM WITHIN A YEAR
– Extended delivery times and rising prices in China are giving some people the opportunity to resell Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) vehicles at a profit. The electric vehicle (EV) maker has taken steps to try to combat this behavior but has sparked controversy.
– Weibo blogger @ID_韩潮 shared a document on Wednesday showing that Tesla requires owners who buy multiple Tesla vehicles in one or more cumulative purchases to sign a contract promising not to sell the vehicles to others within a year of purchase.
– If a buyer who signed the contract broke the promise, he or she would be required to pay Tesla default damages of 20 percent of the invoice amount, according to the contract.
– Local media Chengdu.cn reported on Thursday that an unmade source at Tesla confirmed the existence of the contract, saying the move was aimed at maintaining a fair and transparent car-buying experience for consumers.
– Users who pay RMB 1,000 ($157) to reserve a vehicle can make more than RMB 10,000 in profit on a successful transfer, which has led some to place a large number of orders, according to the report.
– That contract by Tesla places restrictions on the consumer’s exercise of ownership, and it is highly unlikely that it will be found invalid
EV ROUTING COMES TO APPLE MAPS AND CARPLAY FOR FORD MACH-E
– Back at WWDC in 2020, Apple unveiled its plans to offer more detailed and powerful routing features for electric vehicles with Apple Maps. That feature appears to have quietly launched as part of iOS 15.4 this week for Ford users
– Ford explains that you simply need to connect your iPhone to your Mach-E and enable CarPlay as you normally would, then set a destination using Apple Maps. Your Mach-E should then prompt you to set up EV routing using the Apple Maps app on your iPhone running iOS 15.4.
– When you create new map routes, it will display the estimated battery charge of the vehicle at the end of the trip. If you’ll need to stop and charge along that route, Apple Maps will also add in those stop(s).
As of right now, this feature is only available for the Mustang Mach-E, but Ford says it has plans to support the feature with its F-150 Lightning and E-Transit cars as well.
Original Source : https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/18/mach-e-ev-routing-apple-maps-carplay/
DO ELECTRIC VEHICLES PRODUCE MORE TYRE AND BRAKE POLLUTION THAN THEIR PETROL AND DIESEL COUNTERPARTS?
– Every so often, it is claimed that electric vehicles (EVs) are somehow dirtier than the petrol and diesel cars that they are replacing.
– One common angle of attack concerns particulate matter, which is the very fine particles produced by petrol and diesel exhausts, tyres and brakes. Particulate matter concentrates in the air close to ground level, at child height. The smallest nanoparticles waste no time in entering the bloodstream with numerous grave health consequences, including heart attacks and strokes.
– The most recent example of electric vehicles being accused of producing more particulate matter pollution than petrol and diesel cars came on the back of remarks made by Environment Secretary George Eustice to the House of Commons’ Environment and Rural Affairs Committee.
– Brake particulate matter & Tyre particulate matter analysis
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Do you think rising fuel prices at the pumps will have a direct impact on EV sales?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT