Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Thursday 17th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
FORD F-150 LIGHTNING EPA RANGE NUMBERS EMERGE: UP TO 320 MILES
– The long-awaited EPA range and efficiency numbers for the upcoming Ford F-150 Lightning all-electric pickup finally emerged, but not yet on the EPA’s website, but via Monroney Stickers, shared on f150gen14.com forum.
– According to four Monroney Stickers, shown for Pro (SR and ER), Lariat (ER) and Platinum (ER) versions, Ford achieved the 230-mile target for the SR and beat the ER target by 20 miles, achieving 320 miles.
– Pro 18″(SR): 230 miles (370 km)(ER – fleets): 320 miles (515 km)
– Lariat 20″(SR): N/A (potentially the same as Pro SR)(ER): 320 miles (515 km)
– Platinum 22″(ER): 300 miles (483 km)
– An interesting thing is that the ER battery versions (aside from Platinum) get 320 miles, compared to 314 miles of Rivian R1T.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/574208/ford-f150-lightning-epa-range/
FORD CEO FARLEY SAYS AUTOMAKER SOLD OUT OF ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– As soon as CEO Jim Farley said the words, they hit the Twittersphere: “We are sold out for a couple years now,” he said. On stage for a CERAWeek energy conference discussion streamed live March 10 from Texas
– The moderator asked: How are things going with the Mustang Mach-E?
– “It’s totally sold out. We’re just completely overwhelmed. I mean, we have the chip supply thing, that makes it worse. But we’re completely oversubscribed,” he said. “Actually, in all of our electric vehicles, we are sold out for a couple years now. So we’re very fortunate that we made that choice to go into those passion products.”
– “We were lucky. We got to watch from a distance what happened at Tesla and the first generation of leaders like BMW and GM. They went first, and Nissan, and Tesla won and the generic products didn’t,” Farley said.
– “What we learned from that as a management team, which was actually not popular in the company, was that early adopters of zero emission wanted the good stuff,” he said. “They don’t want generic homogeneous small cars that are unremarkable. They want great vehicles. They want aspirational vehicles … And so we said, ‘let’s electrify the icons.’ ”
– The automaker has been so overwhelmed by orders for its award-winning Mach-E that it has had to stop taking orders for the 2022 model because many are sold out.Not all versions, but many.
– When the 2023 Mach-E order bank opens, deliveries are scheduled to begin as soon as late 2022. While Ford expects 2022 Mach-Es to be delivered to customers before the new model year begins shipping, global supply chain and semiconductor chip issues could continue to disrupt the delivery schedules
– In January, Ford announced it would nearly double production capacity to 150,000 Lightning pickups per year at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center in Dearborn to meet “soaring customer demand,”
– Within 24 months, Ford will have the global capacity to produce 600,000 battery electric vehicles annually with plans to move toward annual production of more than 2 million EVs by 2026.”
– Van Conway, president of the Young Conway Group, a turnaround consultancy for businesses based in Detroit, said executives routinely get consumers excited when products are so popular they’re in limited supply.”Ferrari sells out every year, too,” Conway told the Free Press. “When you say you’re sold out, you actually get people more interested in getting one. Maybe they’re not sold out tomorrow, but they are sold out today.”
Original Source : https://eu.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2022/03/17/ford-electric-vehicles-sold-out-mach-e-lightning-farley/7051225001/
ROLLS-ROYCE SPECTRE SPY VIDEO CATCHES THE EV FROM EVERY ANGLE
– A new spy video provides a close look at the Rolls-Royce Spectre while the upcoming electric coupe is driving on public roads in Germany. There’s a view from every angle when the driver pulls the vehicle off the street to turn around.
– All of the production panels appear to be on the body, so the covering is the only thing hiding the vehicle’s design.
– In front, the Spectre has split headlights that include LED strips on the upper section. Because EVs don’t need the same airflow as combustion-powered vehicles, it’s not clear whether the large grille is actually functional.
– There are vertically oriented taillights on each corner of the rear.
– A recent rumour suggests it would share components with the BMW iX M60 electric crossover. If this is accurate, then a coupe could make as much as 610 bhp
– In the iX M60, this setup gets the crossover to 60 miles per hour (96 kilometres per hour) in 3.6 seconds and a top speed of 155 mph (250 kph). Its 111.5-kilowatt-hour battery pack gives the BMW a WLTP-estimated range of 352 miles (566 kilometres).
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/574026/rollsroyce-spectre-new-spy-video/
T-MOBILE BRINGS UNLIMITED 5G TO NEW BMW IX AND I4 ELECTRIC CARS
– The BMW iX and i4 are BMW’s first cars with 5G via Persona eSIM that allows customers to add their car to a mobile plan.
– T-Mobile has unveiled a new plan, Magenta Drive for BMW, with unlimited data including a Wi-Fi hotspot as well as voice calls on T-Mobile’s network.
– T-Mobile’s 5G network covers more than 96% of interstate highway miles across America.
– An advanced antenna setup in the BMW iX and i4 allows for a more stable 5G connection with higher throughput.
– This new plan will bring T-Mobile 5G to the new electric car and SUV with support for unlimited voice calls on T-Mobile’s network as well as high-speed data including a Wi-Fi hotspot. This plan is available to postpaid customers and will come in at $20 per month.
– The Wi-Fi connection supports up to 10 devices at once
Original Source : https://www.androidcentral.com/phones/carriers/t-mobiles-new-5g-plan-is-coming-to-bmws-2022-ix-and-i4-electric-vehicles
CINCINNATI SAYS IT WILL HAVE A FULLY ELECTRIC FLEET BY 2035
– the city of Cincinnati is launching a plan for a greener fleet – police cars, fire engines and garbage trucks included.
– The plan, announced Thursday morning by Mayor Aftab Pureval and Councilwoman Meeka Owens, calls for the city fleet to be fully comprised of electric vehicles, installing electric vehicle charging stations in neighborhoods and along highways and drafting an updated version of the Green Cincinnati Plan, first announced in 2008.
– The proposal calls for a full electric fleet by 2035, the same as the renewable energy deadline.As more and more citizens opt for electric cars, Owens said the city recognizes the need for charging stations. This part of the plan involves finding a private partner to help with the installation of the stations at places like neighborhood parking lots and garages.
Original Source : https://eu.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2022/03/17/cincinnati-buy-electric-cars-charging-stations/7061475001/
GM DEVELOPED THE GMC HUMMER EV IN RECORD TIME: HERE’S THE BACKSTORY
– Yes, the 2022 GMC Hummer EV promises to be eyebrow-raising in a lot of ways—like how quickly such a huge truck can accelerate, or be an off-road maneuverability ace with Crab mode.
– But one of the most surprising aspects of the entire project was its record-setting development pace—one that the company has hinted will be a template for other upcoming EVs.
– GM didn’t even have a first complete test vehicle 18 months ago.
– The new look at the Hummer EV’s development, this time, comes directly from GM, and it will arrive in the form of a 60-minute documentary set to debut March 27 on the History Channel.
Original Source : https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1135318_gm-developed-the-gmc-hummer-ev-in-record-time-here-s-the-backstory
STEVE WOZNIAK JUST BOUGHT TESLA-RIVALING ELECTRIC CAR
– The Apple co-founder and longtime Tesla owner apparently just bought a new car from Elon Musk’s new luxury electric rival.
– Wozniak Tweeted: “Our new EV is a Lucid Air.”
– Wozniak, who has an estimated net worth over $100 million, has owned a variety of electric cars, including the Chevrolet Bolt EV and several Teslas, but has been critical of Tesla’s autonomous driving systems.
– “I was totally sure we were going to have autonomous cars,” he told Forbes. “We’re going to just go anywhere. And after enough time of seeing supposedly the next attempt that was really going to get us there with Tesla, I guess like a lot of Tesla owners I got disenchanted. After a while we’ve seen how many mistakes it makes. The dumbest human in the world would know how to do this, handle this.”
Original Source : https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/steve-wozniak-bought-electric-car-tesla
PROPOSED BATTERY SWAPPING POLICY NEEDS PLAN FOR INTEROPERABILITY
– . During her Union Budget 2022-23 speech, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, said, “Considering the constraint of space in urban areas for setting up charging stations at scale, a battery swapping policy will be brought out and interoperability standards will be formulated. The private sector will be encouraged to develop sustainable and innovative business models for ‘Battery or Energy as a Service’. This will improve efficiency in the EV ecosystem.”
– a suggestion made during the panel discussion at the ETAuto EV Conclave, which could also be an input for the battery swapping policy making, is that there should be “set contours around what is accepted as a swappable battery”, in terms of size, minimum energy density, and safety guidelines.
Original Source : https://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/industry/proposed-battery-swapping-policy-needs-plan-for-interoperability-say-ev-industry-stakeholders/90222260
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Do you think rising fuel prices at the pumps will have a direct impact on EV sales?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT