Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Wednesday 16th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
TESLA HALTS WORK AT SHANGHAI FACTORY FOR TWO DAYS AMID CHINA COVID CURBS
– Tesla (TSLA.O) is suspending production at its Shanghai factory for two days, according to a notice sent internally and to suppliers, as China tightens COVID restrictions to curb the country’s latest outbreak.
– The Shanghai factory runs around the clock, and suppliers and Tesla staff were told on Wednesday in the notice, reviewed by Reuters, that production would be suspended for Wednesday and Thursday.
– Many cities across China, including Shanghai, have been rolling out strict movement controls to stem the country’s largest COVID-19 outbreak in two years. The measures have also caused factory shutdowns in parts of the country, putting pressure on supply chains.
– “We are actively cooperating with the government’s requirements for nucleic acid testing and other epidemic prevention requirements, and at the same time are doing our best to ensure production, overcoming difficulties together,” the company said in a statement sent to Reuters.
TESLA HACKER INDICATES MODEL Y STANDARD RANGE+ VARIANT COULD ROLLOUT FROM GIGA TEXAS FIRST
– A Tesla hacker has discovered language in Software Update 2022.8.2 that seems to indicate a Model Y Standard Range+ variant will be rolling out from Gigafactory Texas initially, as deliveries are set to begin soon.
– Last week, it was confirmed that a new Model Y variant packing just 279 miles of range was added to the EPA’s FuelEconomy.gov website, confirming the vehicle was approved by the agency to enter the stream of commerce. Teslarati confirmed this by recovering several documents from the EPA, which confirmed that Tesla had applied for certification of the new Model Y variant on February 2, receiving a Certificate of Conformity from the EPA on February 16
– the new Model Y’s range rating had Tesla enthusiasts stumped at whether the vehicle would equip the 4680 cells that Tesla confirmed would be in Austin-made vehicles. The low range rating seemed to indicate that Tesla could be rolling out a Standard Range vehicle using LFP cells
– While the range ratings and batteries used in the Model Y are not present in the internal reference, green said the model name, Standard Range+, and location of manufacture, Gigafactory Texas, are included.
TESLA FIRED EMPLOYEE WHO REVIEWED ITS DRIVER ASSIST FEATURES ON YOUTUBE
– Tesla has a complicated relationship with customers who pay to test the beta version of its “Full Sell Driving” software. Often, these people are diehard fans, keen to promote the company’s prowess and show off its new driver assist features. Sometimes, though, they overshare — posting videos that show exactly when and how Tesla’s software gets it wrong.
– John Bernal, a former Tesla employee who reviewed the company’s FSD Beta software on his YouTube channel AI Addict says he was fired by the company last month after posting a video that showed his Tesla hitting a bollard.
– Bernal says that prior to his dismissal he was told verbally by his managers that he “broke Tesla policy” and that his YouTube channel was a “conflict of interest” (though his written separation notice did not specify a reason for his dismissal). Bernal said he’d previously been approached by managers after posting a video in March 2021 that showed a number of close calls with pedestrians and cyclists while using the FSD beta software.
– A number of FSD Beta testers post reviews of the company’s software on YouTube, and Bernal says he intends to maintain his channel (though he now needs to borrow friends’ cars to test FSD Beta). As Bernal told CNBC: “I still care about Tesla, vehicle safety and finding and fixing bugs.”
2022 WORLD CAR OF THE YEAR’S THREE FINALISTS ARE ALL ELECTRIC CROSSOVERS
– Crossovers of all shapes and sizes are in high demand right now and it seems the very best ones are electric. The three finalists for the World Car of the year competition have been announced and they’re all sporty electric high riders – Ford Mustang Mach-E, Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6.
– The latter has already been crowned (European) Car of the Year for 2022, so its presence among the top three is not surprising. Hyundai Ioniq 5 is equally talented and geared more towards comfort, but its polarizing design is not as unanimously appreciated as the Kia’s.
– The winners in all six categories will be announced live at the 2022 New York Auto Show on April 13.
43-MILE EV RANGE FOR ALL-NEW KIA SPORTAGE PLUG-IN HYBRID
– Kia UK has revealed full details of the all-new Sportage Plug-in Hybrid
– emissions-free driving range of up to 43 miles (WLTP), rising to 48 miles on the WLTP City Cycle – enough to cover most daily commutes and shopping needs. Out on the open road, electric energy consumption is an impressive 3.68 miles/kWh
– 1.6-litre T-GDi engine that works in tandem with a 66.9kW permanent magnet traction electric motor and a 13.8kWh lithium-ion polymer battery pack. The high-voltage battery sits centrally between the two axles under the body of the SUV
– t on-board charger (OBC) system is rated at 7.2kW, making it the fastest-charging Kia PHEV to-date. The battery can complete a full charge in just 1hr 45m.
BMW AIMS TO SELL OVER 2 MILLION ELECTRIC VEHICLES BY THE END OF 2025
– BMW announced that it is ramping up its e-mobility targets, “confirmed by the success of its all-electric models to date”. Initially, this refers primarily to the growing range of electric vehicle models, but electric sales are expected to increase further “rapidly”.
– As the Group announced in the context of its business figures for 2021, it will already have 15 fully electric models in production this year, covering around 90 per cent of the current segments. However, BMW also included pre-production vehicles in the figure. Presumably, vehicles such as the i4 eDrive 40 and i4 M50 will also count as two models.
– The big technology shift is scheduled for 2025 with the ‘New Class’ debut, but the New Class will play only a minor role in cumulative sales by the end of 2025. “With the BMW iX and BMW i4, we have launched what are probably the best e-cars of the present day – at least the test results and the high demand from our customers speak for themselves,” says BMW CEO Oliver Zipse. “And with the BMW i7, we’re going one better this year.”
– BMW is pinning high hopes on the New Class, on which models from the size of a 1 Series to the 7 Series are to be based in perspective as a “cluster architecture” – and “uncompromisingly” designed for electric drives. A “completely new electric drive” reduces consumption and increases range. BMW does not provide details on this; the current fifth-generation involves current-excited synchronous motors.
– If the new, more optimistic scenario materializes, annual sales of fully electric vehicles by the BMW Group could exceed 1.5 million units as early as 2030.
– Just a few days ago, BMW called for political support in expanding the hydrogen refuelling infrastructure.
– Instead of a 700-bar refuelling station every 150 kilometres by 2027, BMW called for intervals to be reduced to 100 kilometres to support hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.
BMW I7 EV, WITH 600 HP, WILL BE MOST POWERFUL VARIANT OF NEW 7 SERIES FLAGSHIP
– The full-electric variant of BMW’s new 7 Series sedan will deliver more than 600 hp, CEO Oliver Zipse said, offering more power than plug-in hybrid, gasoline and diesel versions.
– The next-generation of BMW’s flagship 7 Series will be revealed at the Beijing auto show on April 20, Zipse said Wednesday at the BMW Group’s annual news conference.
– He described the new 7 Series as “the next ace in our successful growth strategy in the luxury class.”
The new model is already in the pre-production phase and will go on sale by the end of the year.
THE 2023 MERCEDES-BENZ EQE IS NOW AVAILABLE TO BUY IN EUROPE
– The 2023 Mercedes-Benz EQE sedan is now on sale in Europe. The electric E-Class model, which is set to rival the Tesla Model S, will start shipping to dealers in April. There are two trim levels available, the EQE 350+ and the AMG EQE 43 4MATIC.
– The Mercedes-AMG EQE 43 4MATIC has a dual-motor 350 kW (469 hp) powertrain that can deliver up to 858 Nm of torque. The car’s top speed is identical to the base model; however, the vehicle accelerates faster, reaching 60 mph (100 kph) in 4.2 seconds.
– Both trims are fitted with a 90.6 kWh battery, which delivers up to 410 miles (660 km) of range. The battery is capable of 170 kW fast charging
- Original Source : https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-2023-Mercedes-Benz-EQE-is-now-available-to-buy-in-Europe.608828.0.html
CADILLAC TO START PRODUCTION, ORDERS FOR LYRIQ; PARTS SHORTAGE LINGERS
– Cadillac is opening the order bank for its 2023 Lyriq SUV even as leaders meet with suppliers to ensure there are semiconductor chip parts and batteries available for large volume production.
– General Motors’ luxury brand will start building the Lyriq, which is the first EV to hit its lineup, on Monday. But the Lyriq’s production volume might be impacted this year by ongoing parts shortages.
– The chips shortage has disrupted production across all automakers for the past 12 months, but Cadillac is on track to start Lyriq production as planned on March 21
– The brand will start taking official customer orders for the Lyriq on May 19 and the vehicles will start arriving in dealerships later that month, he said.
– Customers can order the rear-wheel drive Lyriq, which starts at $59,990, and the all-wheel drive version. The all-wheel drive Lyriq will go into production later this year for delivery in 2023.
UK’S PLUG-IN VAN AND TRUCK GRANT SCHEMES EXTENDED AMID FUEL PRICE HIKES
– The Department for Transport (Dft) has confirmed a two-year extension to the plug-in van and truck grant schemes, to 2024-25.
– Announcing the move today (15 March), the Department said the extension will help businesses get ahead of the curve regarding the Government’s ban on new petrol and diesel car and van sales from 2030.
– Another contributing factor to the decision, the Department has stated, is the need to make the UK less reliant on foreign fossil fuel imports – particularly from Russia. The Government has pledged to end Russian oil and oil product exports by the end of the year. MPs this week heard evidence that petrol could reach £2.50 per litre and diesel £3 per litre in the coming months.
– The DfT revealed, in extending the schemes, that it received quadruple the number of applications in 2021 than it did in 2020. To date, they have supported the purchase of some 26,000 hybrid and pure electric vehicles (EVs). Going forward, for vans, only pure EVs will be supported.
CHINESE EV MAKER BYD RAISES PRICES ON HIGHER COST OF RAW MATERIAL
– BYD Co Ltd (002594.SZ) said it will raise prices on its cars by 3,000-6,000 yuan ($471-942), citing rising raw materials costs, just a day after U.S. peer Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) upped prices for the second time in a week.
– The price increases will take effect from Wednesday, it said late on Tuesday, adding that customers who had paid deposits on vehicles prior to then would not be affected.
– BYD also raised prices by 1,000-7,000 yuan on Feb. 1, citing the rising cost of raw materials and the cutting of government subsidies for new-energy vehicles
– In particular, prices of metals used in cars have soared, including aluminium that is used in the bodywork, palladium used in catalytic converters, and nickel and lithium that power EV batteries.
GOGORO INTRODUCES NEW SSMARTCORE EV PLATFORM AND SUPERSPORT SCOOTER
– We’re only three months into 2022, and Gogoro is showing absolutely no signs of slowing down. Back in January, the Taiwanese technology and electric scooter company threw down a gauntlet of sorts. If you’ll recall, that’s when it announced plans to install more of its battery-swapping GoStations across Taiwan by the end of 2022 than gas stations.
– On March 8, 2022, Gogoro unveiled its first-ever solid-state EV battery prototype.
– n entire week after the potentially game-changing solid-state battery prototype announcement—and Gogoro has something else to reveal. The new Gogoro Ssmartcore (sic) technology platform adds new functionality to Gogoro and PBGN Electronic Control Units (ECUs) and Motor Control Units
– Improved motor control and real-time power calibration result in what Gogoro calls “intelligent traction control.” Crucially, the processing power and speed results in almost no lag time, meaning your vehicle should behave as you expect it to.
– Gogoro is also taking this opportunity to bring LTE wireless connectivity to Gogoro scooters. This, in turn, opens a raft of convenience features between the rider and their scooter, including 24/7 alerts about locking/unlocking, trunk opening, and real-time location data.
– Gogoro also took this opportunity to unveil a brand-new scooter, the SuperSport. It’s the first vehicle to come equipped with Ssmartcore
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Do you think rising fuel prices at the pumps will have a direct impact on EV sales?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT