Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Tuesday 15th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
TESLA RAISES PRICES FOR SECOND TIME IN DAYS ON RISING COSTS
– Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) raised its prices in China and the United States for the second time in less than a week, after CEO Elon Musk said the U.S. electric carmaker was facing significant inflationary pressure in raw materials and logistics.
– The increases come as costs of raw materials are surging, exacerbated by supply chain disruptions following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
– Tesla, which has a diversified supply chain, has bought “millions of euros worth of aluminum” from Russian aluminium giant Rusal, CNBC reported on Monday, citing internal documents. Rusal’s billionaire founder Oleg Deripaska has been sanctioned by Britain.
TESLA PRICES RISE AGAIN: AT $48,190, BASE MODEL 3 NOW COSTS A THIRD MORE VS. A YEAR AGO
– The Tesla Model 3 was launched with the promise of a $35,000 base price, but now the base Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive starts at $48,190. That’s an increase of $2,000 from its most recent (higher) price, and nearly a third higher than this time last year, when you could get a Model 3 Standard Range Plus for $37,190.
– Tesla’s other Model 3 variants saw price increases as well. The Model 3 Long Range now starts at $54,490 (up $2,500) and the Model 3 Performance starts at $61,990 (up $3,000).
– The base price of the entry-level Model Y Long Range increased $3,000 to $62,990. So the most affordable Model Y now costs about $23,000 more than it did around this time last year.
– March 2021 the now-discontinued Model Y Standard Range had cost just $41,190.
– The Model Y Performance then was just $62,190. Tesla then increased the base price to $64,990, and it now starts at $67,990.
TESLA INCREASES PRICES THROUGHOUT WHOLE LINEUP
– As for the flagship Model S and Model X, they were not spared in the wave of price increases.
The Model S now starts at $99,990 – an extra $5,000 over the previous price
– The performance version also received a $5,000 price increase.
Model X surprisingly escaped many previous waves of price increases from Tesla, but not this time.
The electric SUV is seeing a price increase of $10,000 to now start at $114,990:
– The Plaid version also saw a big price increase, and now it finally sells for more than the Model S Plaid – the fact that it didn’t before made no sense.
INFLATION: TESLA’S AVERAGE TRANSACTION PRICE TOPS ALL BRANDS IN 2022
– Tesla’s average transaction price increased by 4.1 percent from January 2022 to February 2022. During the same timeframe, many automakers saw a drop, and the industry as a whole saw a decrease of 0.6 percent.
– That said, there are certainly other brands that also had a notable increase, such as Acura, Jeep, Mini, and Toyota. At any rate, Tesla’s average transaction price rose from $63,263 in January to $65,837 in February.
– If we look at the bigger picture, from February 2021 to February 2022, Tesla’s average transaction price soared by 14.8 percent. However, the industry average increase year over year is at 11.4 percent.
VW GROUP CEO PRAISES TESLA’S GIGA TEXAS DURING AUSTIN VISIT
– Volkswagen Group CEO Herbert Diess is an outspoken admirer of Tesla and its boss Elon Musk, praising the EV maker for its achievements and innovation on several occasions.
– While the German executive’s “bromance” with the US billionaire entrepreneur has annoyed some members of VW Group’s board, especially works council boss Daniela Cavallo, Diess has made it clear that Tesla cannot be ignored. In November 2021, he gave this reply to those who criticised him for comparing VW with Tesla, as per a Reuters report. “Even if I no longer talk about Elon Musk: he’ll still be there and revolutionises our industry and keeps getting more competitive quickly.”
– the CEO praised Tesla’s Giga Texas plant during his visit to Austin for the South by Southwest (SXSW) festival this past weekend, where the VW ID. Buzz has made its first public appearance.
– “Elon’s new factory – he calls it ‘the machine that produces the machine’ is impressive: 1.2 km long, 400m wide: all under one roof, no logistics from cell production to the final assembly. Once up and running it will very likely set some new benchmarks.”
– “I am so happy that we decided a new plant for Wolfsburg. Without that – no chance to compete.”
– Set to open in 2026, Volkswagen’s new state-of-the-art facility will have an annual capacity of 250,000 vehicles. The first model to be built there will be the Project Trinity electric saloon.
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/574312/volkswagen-ceo-praises-tesla-austin/
TESLA’S CAMERA-BASED DRIVER MONITORING SYSTEM TRIGGERS LEGAL COMPLAINT IN ILLINOIS
– Last year, Tesla activated its camera-based driver monitoring system in Model 3 and Model Y vehicles, allowing the company to provide an extra layer of checks to determine if drivers were paying attention to the road while using Autopilot and FSD features. The function was later rolled out to the refreshed Model S and Model X as well.
– While a camera-based DMS has evident advantages, a class action complaint has been proposed against Tesla in Illinois, with the Plaintiff claiming that the company’s in-cabin driver monitoring system violates the state’s Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA).
– Inasmuch as data from the in-cabin camera is being used for driver monitoring, the Plaintiff alleged that Tesla’s practices violate Illinois citizens’ statutorily protected privacy rights.
– “Facial geometry is a unique and permanent biometric identifier associated with each individual. The unauthorized handling of such sensitive information exposes consumers to serious and irreversible privacy risks. If for example, a database containing scans of face geometry or other sensitive biometric data is hacked, breached, or otherwise exposed, consumers cannot simply change their biometric identifiers like they could reset a password or cancel a credit card.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-autopilot-dms-illinois-lawsuit
VOLKSWAGEN VOW VWAGY 2022 ANNUAL MEETING EV UPDATES
– Volkswagen said Tuesday that several of its battery-electric models, including the Porsche Taycan, are already sold out for 2022 and that high consumer demand is helping its electric-car effort become as profitable as its internal-combustion lineup more quickly than expected.
– Volkswagen was the leading seller of EVs in Europe, with about 25% of the market. In the U.S., it was second behind Tesla, with about 7.5% share last year.
– In a separate update for investors ahead of the annual meeting, VW said that its next-generation EV platform is on track to launch in 2026 with a new VW-brand electric sedan code-named Trinity.
VOLKSWAGEN AERO B TEASED AND CONFIRMED FOR 2023 LAUNCH
– The peeps from Wolfsburg are working on a sedan. It was originally teased in March 2018 at the Geneva Auto Show by the ID Vizzion concept before an equivalent wagon dubbed ID. Space Vizzion was presented in November 2019 at the Los Angeles Auto Show.
– Since then, we’ve seen our fair share of spy shots depicting the midsize EV undergoing testing on public roads with clever camouflage. Fast forward to today, VW CEO Herbert Diess briefly spoke about the new MEB-based vehicle. During the Annual Media Conference 2022, the head honcho confirmed the Aero B will go on sale in 2023.
– We do know Herbert Diess referred to it as the electric alternative for the Passat. It will follow the ID.3 / Golf, ID.4 / Tiguan, and the ID. Buzz / T7 pairs.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/573534/2023-volkswagen-aero-b-teaser/
NEW AUDI A6 AVANT E-TRON CONCEPT PREVIEWS FUTURE ELECTRIC ESTATE
– Audi is set to bring its line of large, luxurious estate cars into the electric age with this: the A6 Avant e-tron. Shown here in concept form, the A6 Avant e-tron will bear a close resemblance to this show car when it lands in production from in 2024
– The A6 Avant e-tron concept is a more practical iteration of last year’s A6 e-tron concept executive saloon, and is set to go on sale alongside a combustion-engined variant.
– The car sits on the same Premium Platform Electric (PPE) platform as the forthcoming Q6 e-tron SUV (and the A6 e-tron production car) which has been co-developed with Porsche. It utilises an 800V electronic architecture that enables rapid charging at up to 270kW, meaning a 5 to 80 per cent charge takes less than 25 minutes, while plugging in for 10 minutes can provide an extra 186 miles of range.
– the Avant revealed here is powered by a battery that holds “around 100kWh of energy”
– Audi claims up to 435 miles should be possible on a charge from the Avant e-tron concept. Expect this figure to remain for the production model.
AUDI A6 AVANT E-TRON CONCEPT IS AN ELEGANT ELECTRIC WAGON THAT LOOKS PRODUCTION-READY
– Calling the A6 Avant E-tron “production-ready” is no hyperbole; Audi itself describes the concept as “production-oriented,” meaning this car is likely destined for the assembly line in the near future.
– If that turns out to be true, the A6 Avant E-tron will earn the distinction of Audi’s longest-range EV to date, with 700 kilometers (435 miles) of estimated range using the European WLTP standard, depending on the drive system and model variant. The sportback will be quick, too, sprinting from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in less than four seconds.
– Four LED projectors in the corners of the vehicle can create turn signal animations on the road. And three of them embedded in each side of the bodywork can do everything from present welcome messages on the ground for the driver and their passengers to warn cyclists that a door is about to open.
FIRST AUDI A6 E-TRON SPY PHOTOS SHOW SLEEK FASTBACK WITH SPLIT HEADLIGHTS
– based on this first batch of photos that we’ve ever received, it appears it hasn’t changed much from the concept.
– It does have traditional side rear-view mirrors instead of the concept’s cameras, but since Audi does offer both in the E-Tron SUV, we cannot exclude them as a possibility for production. Even the headlight cluster, split into an upper daytime running light area and a lower part where the projector for the main and high beam are will stay the same; it looks a bit strange with the camo, but if you check out the concept, that design starts to make sense.
– There will surely be more than one powertrain option and we’ve even heard rumors that this model will also spawn a fully-electric RS6. Audi has already confirmed that the most efficient model will have a single motor and be rear-wheel drive and that it will still be able to sprint to 100 km/h in under 7 seconds;
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/573641/audi-a6-etron-electric-spy-photos/
MERCEDES WILL MAKE ELECTRIC EQS SUV IN ALABAMA, WITH BATTERY CELLS FROM GEORGIA
– On its way to establishing production for its EQS SUV in the U.S., Mercedes-Benz has confirmed a partnership with battery supplier Envision AESC that will result in a battery facility in Bibb County, Georgia.
– the new battery facility “underscores the importance of the U.S. within the Mercedes-Benz global production network and the status of Alabama as an export hub for luxury SUVs also in the electric era.”
– Mercedes plans to build both the EQS SUV and EQE SUV at its Tuscaloosa plant and says that the battery facility will supply both.
– AESC was established between Nissan and NEC in 2008 and is best known as the supplier of cells for the Nissan Leaf. It became Envision AESC and an independent company with its sale to China’s Envision Group in 2018 but continues to supply Nissan.
– The EQS SUV will make its official debut on April 19.
VOLVO DOUBLES ELECTRIC RANGE ESTIMATES FOR 2022 PLUG-IN MODELS
– Volvo revealed a new plug-in hybrid powertrain for its 60- and 90-series models on Monday
– The T8 AWD plug-in hybrid powertrain’s new long-range battery, available on the Volvo S60, V60, XC60, S90, and XC90 Recharge models, features an extra layer of cells to increase nominal energy from 11.6 kilowatt hours to 18.8 kilowatt hours. The T8s also get a more powerful rear electric motor that delivers 143 horsepower, improved from 87.
– This upgraded hybrid powertrain achieves an EPA-estimated range of 35-41 miles on a single charge. Prior to the upgrade, the S90 went 21 miles on a charge while the S60/V60 achieved 22 miles. The XC60 and XC90 had a range of 18 miles.
– The e-motor increases the power in the rear wheels by roughly 65 percent, enhancing performance in all scenarios.
– With the new, larger battery the Recharge T8 models now qualify for the full $7,500 federal tax credit, the maximum.
– In addition to the powertrain, Volvo also added one-pedal drive to the XC60 and S90 models, which gives the driver the option of controlling both acceleration and deceleration with only the accelerator pedal. Letting off the throttle causes a vehicle in one-pedal mode to start slowing immediately, as well as regenerating as much energy as possible from the system.
VOLVO AND STARBUCKS CREATE A (SMALL-SCALE) EV CHARGING NETWORK
– Volvo and Starbucks are adding ChargePoint DC fast chargers along a 1350-mile route from Seattle to Denver.
– The network of chargers will be available to all electric and plug-in-hybrid vehicle drivers, but Volvo models benefit from either a discounted rate or free use of the chargers.
– While Starbucks seemingly has a store at every other corner of most major metropolitan areas, the company only intends to fit up to 60 ChargePoint DC fast chargers at as many as 15 of its stores along a route that extends from Seattle, Washington, to Denver, Colorado.
– Although Volvo’s branding may grace the fast chargers dotting the approximately 1350-mile route, the Swedish automaker intends to let all PHEV and EV drivers plug in for a charge.
NORTHVOLT PLANS NEW GIGAFACTORY IN GERMANY
– Battery group Northvolt announced Tuesday that it would build a battery factory in northern Germany, as Europe seeks to ramp up its capacity to produce electric cars.
– The Swedish electric car battery specialist said it picked Heide in Germany’s northernmost state Schleswig-Holstein as it is known as a “clean energy valley” which is home to windfarms that would power the plant.
– The new plant is expected to have an annual production capacity of 60 GWh — enough to supply around one million cars per year.
– The factory could start production in 2025 and provide some 3,000 jobs, the company said in a statement.
– Schleswig-Holstein was selected as the “region hosts the cleanest energy grid in Germany, one which is characterized by a surplus of electricity generated by onshore and offshore wind power”, Northvolt said.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Do you think rising fuel prices at the pumps will have a direct impact on EV sales?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT