Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Monday 14th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
VOLKSWAGEN AND FORD EXPAND COLLABORATION ON MEB ELECTRIC PLATFORM
– Ford Motor Company and the Volkswagen Group are expanding their e-mobility partnership. Ford plans to produce another electric model for the European market based on the MEB platform
– The automaker will also double its planned MEB volume to 1.2 million units over a six-year timeframe.
– The first Ford model to use the MEB will be an all-electric crossover. It is expected to roll off the assembly line at the Ford Electrification Center in Cologne from 2023 and will give a further push to the automaker’s e-mobility strategy. Ford had originally planned just one model based on MEB with a total volume of around 600,000 units. The company has not yet released any details about the second planned model.
– The MEB platform, which can be used by various brands and manufacturers, already provides the technology base for ten electric models from five brands. Used to build approximately 300,000 units in 2021, it is one of the leading electric platforms worldwide.
FORD TO LAUNCH SEVEN NEW ELECTRIC VEHICLES IN EUROPE BY 2024
– Ford will launch seven new electric vehicles in Europe by 2024, with the three-strong range of new cars spearheaded by a new crossover utilising Volkswagen’s MEB platform technology.
– The three new electric cars will come under the new Ford Model E division, set up to separate the firm’s battery-electric business from its combustion-engined one, now called Ford Blue, as part of a structural shake-up instigated by boss Jim Farley earlier this month.
– The first car to be launched is expected to be based on the Volkswagen ID 4 and sit below the Ford Mustang Mach-E in Ford’s line-up. It will be built at Ford’s new state-of-the-art EV manufacturing centre in Cologne, Germany, launching in 2023 and being described officially as a “medium-sized crossover”.
– The cars will be joined in Ford’s all-electric line-up by the Ford Puma EV, which will be sold as a stand-alone model from 2024. As a result of reworking Ford’s production capacity to achieve this, the Ford Ecosport will cease production later this year.
– The Transit Custom one-tonne van and Tourneo Custom multi-purpose vehicles will go on sale in 2023, followed in 2024 by a smaller, new Transit Courier and Tourneo Courier multi-purpose vehicle in 2024.
FORD COMMERCIAL VEHICLE BATTERY PLANT TO BE BUILT IN TURKEY
– A newly announced Ford commercial vehicle battery plant figures to play a big role in those plans, too. This new Ford commercial vehicle battery plant will operate under a newly formed joint-venture between Ford, SK On Co., Ltd., and Koc
– the three companies plan to create one of the largest EV battery facilities in the European wider region.
– The new joint venture is planned for Ankara and will manufacture high Nickel NMC cells for assembly into battery array modules. Production is currently expected to start as early as mid-decade with an annual capacity likely to be in the range of 30 to 45 Gigawatt hours. This new battery joint venture will receive support directly from the Turkish Government and will directly benefit large and small commercial vehicle operators across Europe, reducing energy and running costs and providing a significant contribution to CO2 reduction, according to Ford.
NEW ALL-ELECTRIC ABARTH 500 COMING SOON
– Abarth is set to launch its first all-electric car, a rapid hot hatch based on Fiat’s electric 500. Promising to deliver more power, sharper handling and more extroverted looks, it will also mark the first step in the brand’s transition to an all-electric range of cars when it hits showrooms, possibly as soon as next year.
– Speaking to Auto Express, Fiat CEO Olivier François said, ‘The looks are the same. We need to be a little bit more extrovert. Abarth is always a little bit over the top, with spoilers and wheels.’
– In the standard car the mid-level and range topping versions get a 42kWh battery producing 116bhp, allowing for a 0-62mph time of 9 seconds and a 93mph top speed. Abarth’s electric 500 will need a significant boost in power to match another upcoming retro hot hatch – the 215bhp Renault 5-based Alpine R5.
NEXT ALFA ROMEO SPIDER GOES ELECTRIC
– Alfa Romeo is planning to crown a revitalised range with a new Spider sports car – ending a decade-long interregnum with no mainstream roadster in the range.
– The Stellantis group has ‘locked and funded’ a new model programme, in a bid to transform Alfa Romeo from everyone’s theoretical dream car into a fast-growing stable of irresistible premium products.
– Likely be spun off the STLA (pronounced Stella) Medium platform, due to come on stream in 2023. That offers up to 104kWh of battery capacity, and electric motors punching out up to 241bhp. But how many e-motors would the Spider deploy, and where would they be mounted?
– ‘The question of rear-drive or all-wheel drive is on the table at the moment,’ Alfa CEO Jean-Philippe Imparato tells CAR in an exclusive interview. ‘Why not rear-wheel drive – if I have the performance! Obviously I love rear-wheel drive, but if I lose Alfa power or torque because I’m only rear-wheel drive then I prefer to be all-wheel drive.’
– But head of design Mesonero-Romanos will insist on strong proportions, including a long bonnet emulating history’s great combustion-engined GTs.
– Even the industry has axed many convertibles and coupes as sales have plummeted, it won’t be easy. ‘Today, there’s not a single electric cabrio: it is hard,’ admits the head of design. ‘But we need to make people fall in love with cars again.’
And the Spaniard believes that as electrification eliminates tail-pipe emissions, public opinion might again favour cars that some currently consider unforgivably indulgent.
Original Source : https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/alfa-romeo/spider/
A COMPANY AIMS TO SNUFF OUT RANGE ANXIETY BY OFFERING 100 MILES IN 5 MINUTES
– With its “100inX” technology roadmap, the company aims to achieve a mileage of 100 miles per five minutes of charging by 2024
– The company is at the advanced stages of developing groundbreaking semi-solid state technologies and targets mass manufacturing of its fast-charging battery cells, 100in5, which offer 100 miles of travel in five minutes of charging in 2024, then improve its charging abilities by 40 percent to three minutes by 2028 with 100in3, and finally achieving complete charging in two minutes by improving an additional 33 percent by 2032 with 100in2 batteries.
– ‘100in5’ cells of StoreDot’s XFC technology are already being tested in the real world by a number of original automotive equipment manufacturers.
– proven battery chemistry can now be applied to any cell format, including both pouch and the 4680 family form factors, which are the formats increasingly favored by the majority of global car manufacturers.
– XFC is a silicon-dominated anode that can accept lithium-ions much faster than a graphite anode can, thanks to silicon’s lower resistance, but it also controls the tendency of silicon to swell when it accepts those ions that would otherwise generate damaging mechanical forces inside the battery.
– The company became the first one to reveal fast-charging 4680 cylindrical cells that can be fully charged in 10 minutes last year, and produce silicon-dominant extreme fast charge (XFC) cells for electric vehicles on a mass production line.
Original Source : https://interestingengineering.com/storedot-100-miles-in-5-minutes
WSJ: APPLE PARTNER FOXCONN WANTS TO BUILD CHIPS AND CAR PARTS IN SAUDI ARABIA
– Foxconn is reportedly in talks about opening a new $9 billion multipurpose facility in Saudi Arabia. The new factory would be able to make “microchips, electric-vehicle components, and other electronics.”
– The company is also sounding out the United Arab Emirates about the same project, potentially as a way to put pressure on Saudi Arabia as it works to get tax breaks and more.
– Foxconn’s links to Apple will no doubt make it an interested party here, especially given the fact that the plant will be able to produce parts for electric vehicles. The Apple Car project is one that continues to trundle along — could this Saudi Arabian project be part of that one day?
EV CHARGING COMPANIES ADDING CHARGERS TO VACATION RENTALS
– We imagine there have been more than a few AirBnB renters who’ve snuck an extension cord out of a narrow bathroom window to reach their electric vehicle parked temporarily in the driveway. While fun, these long wires might soon be a thing of the past. A new partnership between Enel X and Ok2Charge, announced Monday, will let property owners install Level 2 home charging units as an amenity for their guests, with full software and integrated payment abilities.
– The idea being that if you can charge while you’re resting at night or seeing the sights, that’s better than stopping on the side of the highway
– EV drivers on vacation represent a growing market. Last month, AirBnB announced that over 850,000 of its hosts now offer some sort of electric vehicle charging capability at their locations as of the forth quarter of 2021.
Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2022/03/16/ev-chargers-vacation-rentals/
TESLA DOMINATES GERMANY’S FEBRUARY EV REGISTRATIONS — EVEN BEFORE GIGA BERLIN OPENS
– Tesla sales in Germany are going strong, with the Model 3 sedan and Model Y crossover commanding a lead in the country’s electric vehicle segment. This is quite an impressive accomplishment for Tesla, especially considering that its local EV production facility, Gigafactory Berlin, is yet to commence operations.
– Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA) for February 2022 revealed that Tesla saw 3,690 Model 3 registrations last month, making it the most popular electric vehicle in Germany. Its stablemate, the Tesla Model Y crossover, on the other hand, saw 2,254 registrations in February 2022, putting it in second place
– Gigafactory Berlin could then ensure that the following months would be far better for Tesla Germany, as it would have a steady stream of locally-produced Model Y.
BOSCH & MITSUBISHI JOIN BATTERY SWAPPING PROJECT IN CHINA
– Bosch, Mitsubishi and Blue Park have joined forces to offer fleet operators a ‘Battery as a Service’ business model based on a battery exchange platform from Blue Park. The cooperation is initially focused on China, but is intended to be global in the long term.
– The demand for electrified vehicles is growing, but the initial investment costs, the “downtime” during charging and the “insecurity of the battery” are factors that prevent the electrification of commercial fleets, Mitsubishi writes. The partners want to counter this with their ‘Battery as a Service’ (BaaS) off
– Bosch’s Battery-in-the-Cloud continuously monitors and analyses the battery. This is intended to optimise both the service life of the battery and the TCO of the EV fleet.
TESLA MODEL 3 BATTERY DEGRADATION AT 100K MILES, HIGHWAY RANGE TEST
– Research suggests that many EV battery packs, especially on longer-range models, are likely to continue providing sufficient range even after the vehicle itself is wearing out and even nearing the end of its life.
– EVs have long/high mileage warranties that cover the battery, electric motors, and related components. That said, in a perfect world, if you buy an EV and its battery either stops functioning or degrades too quickly, it should be covered and replaced.
– Kyle Conner is in the midst of a new video series highlighting a Tesla Model 3 with over 100,000 miles on it.
– he does point out details like the fact that more than 50 percent of his Model 3’s lifetime charging has been done at a DC fast charger/Tesla Supercharger, which should make a notable difference in the battery’s degradation.
– To give us an idea of the Model 3 Performance’s battery degradation, Kyle Supercharged to 100 percent and performed the usual 70 MPH highway range test.
– In the end, the car proved capable of traveling 225 miles at a constant 70 mph, followed by about 20 additional urban miles until the battery’s capacity and its buffer were essentially spent.
– the pack delivered just over 67 kWh. When the car was new, it had about 75 kWh of battery capacity. So, the total loss at over 100,000 miles is around 10 to 11 percent. Pretty impressive!
MERCEDES-BENZ EQS 450+ CHARGING ANALYSIS: AS FAST AS PLAID?
– The Mercedes-Benz EQS is one of the latest electric cars on the market and today we will take a look at a real-world fast-charging test of the EQS 450+ version (rear-wheel drive).
– According to the data obtained from the 0-100% SOC test in the video (charger’s display), charging power quickly increased to around 200 kW and remained near this level up to about one-third of the battery capacity.
– The peak charging power was about 202-203 kW at about 29% SOC. Then, charging power gradually decreased to about 100 kW at 80% SOC. After that, the decrease accelerated, reaching about 40 kW before 90% SOC.
– The total energy delivered to the car (according to the EVgo charger) was 116 kWh.
– The charging session from 0-100% took 1 hour and 17 minutes
– 10-80%: 31 minutes
– The peak C-rate* – charging power in relation to the total battery capacity – is around 1.8-1.9C, depending on whether one assumes 115 kWh or 108 kWh. The average C-rate when charging from 20% to 80% SOC would be closer to 1.3C.
– If we compare the Mercedes-Benz EQS 450+ with the Lucid Air Dream Edition and Tesla Model S Plaid, we will notice that there is a big difference in the power level in the first half. After 50% SOC, the three curves are more similar to each other.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/573179/mercedes-eqs-450-charging-analysis
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Do you think rising fuel prices at the pumps will have a direct impact on EV sales?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT