Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Saturday 12th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
TAVARES CONFIDENT THAT STELLANTIS CAN CATCH UP WITH TESLA
– Stellantis (STLA.MI) should be able to catch up with electric vehicle pioneer Tesla (TSLA.O) in the coming years, its chief executive Carlos Tavares said on Friday, adding that competition would benefit consumers.
– Tavares also called for greater investment in charging networks in Europe and the United States to encourage drivers to switch to electric vehicles.
CCS RETROFIT KIT FOR MODEL 3/Y APPEARS IN TESLA PARTS CATALOG
– Tesla launched a new CCS1 adapter in South Korea last year, announcing shortly thereafter that it would eventually be coming to North America.
– Tesla added new information to the in-car display to know if you had the hardware required for your car to work with the CCS charging standard.
– Generally cars built in late 2019 or early 2020 or later had the message “CCS enabled,” while cars built prior to that date had the message “Not Installed.”
– While we still wait for the CCS adapter to appear in the North American Tesla Shop, a retrofit kit has been added to the Tesla Parts Catalog.
The part number (1652004-00-A) is listed for both the Model 3 and Model Y, while there is a second part number (1652005-00-A) listed just for the Model 3.
– When Tesla released the retrofit in Europe, it was initially offered at €500 ($965 CAD), which included the adapter itself. The price was later dropped to €299 ($416 CAD).
VAN HOOL DOUBLE-DECKER ELECTRIC BUS WITH PROTERRA BATTERY DRIVES 2,500 MILES from Florida to California on public chargers
– North American motor coach seller ABC Companies has announced another successful trip across the US, this time using a Van Hool TDX25E all-electric bus. The double-decker motor coach was “Proterra Powered” and traveled 2,524 miles from Winter Garden, Florida, to Costa Mesa, California, using only public charging stations.
– the TDX25E – a 100% electric, 69-passenger double-decker bus. It’s the first of its kind to become available in the US, and the largest electric passenger vehicle on the road today, according to ABC Companies.
– ABC Companies shared details of its latest (and longest) demonstration drive in a recent press release. The double-decker Van Hool electric bus was provided by ABC Companies and is powered by a Proterra battery system, delivering a storage capacity of 676 kWh.
– Empire Coach Line provided the driver for the cross country drive that began at ABC’s HQ in Winter Garden, Florida. Over the course of six days, the TDX25E bus traversed 2,524 miles of US roads, reaching elevations over 5,000 feet and averaging 260 miles per charge before reaching the finish line at ABC’s Costa Mesa facility in California.
NASCAR ‘EXPLORING’ LAUNCH OF ELECTRIC RACING SERIES
– During a press conference announcing his promotion to NASCAR Chief Operating Officer, Steve O’Donnell said the sanctioning body is looking into launching an exhibition series featuring all-electric cars.
– “I think there’s a lot of interest from our current partners to be part of that. But we look at NASCAR as a place where, in an ideal world, it would be all things to all people. If you went to a NASCAR event weekend, you could see whatever types of technologies you wanted throughout a race weekend.”
– While there aren’t any plans for the top NASCAR Cup Series to go all-electric, the Next Gen cars that were launched this year were future-proofed to accommodate hybrid powertrain that O’Donnell had previously said could be used as soon as 2024. They’d likely first be featured on short ovals and road courses where their regenerative braking systems could recover energy as the cars slow down for corners which would then be used by the electric motor for a burst of acceleration.
Original Source : https://www.foxnews.com/auto/nascar-exploring-electric-racing-series
MEET 14 OF THE BEST-FUNDED STARTUPS IN THE ELECTRIC CAR BATTERY BUSINESS
– Electric car battery startups brought in a whopping $3.6 billion in 2021 — several times the $174.7 million raised the year before — a nod to the massive amounts of investment needed to make good on a future of electric vehicles.
– Northvolt – Headquarters: Stockholm, Sweden – Total funding: $6.5 billion
– SVOLT – Headquarters: Changzhou, China – Total funding: $3.29 billion
– Redwood Materials – Headquarters: Carson City, Nevada – Total funding: $815 million
– SES – Headquarters: Woburn, Massachusetts – Total funding: $600.1 million
– Romeo Power – Headquarters: Los Angeles, California – Total funding: $516.6 million
– Solid Power – Headquarters: Louisville, Colorado – Total funding: $717 million
– Phylion Battery – Headquarters: Suzhou, China – Total funding: $200.2 million
FLEETCHARGE PROGRAM COULD EARN UK HOMEOWNERS £1,000 A YEAR
– JustPark, the UK’s leading driveway sharing platform, has launched FleetCharge to unlock and electrify private driveways to enable businesses to switch their fleets to electric vehicles years earlier.
– For the 75 per cent of fleet drivers that don’t have off-street parking at home, using an EV can be a challenge. Business drivers can’t afford time or associated risks of finding and using a public charging point, with many of these also not being suitable for larger vehicles or e-vans to use.
– With FleetCharge, JustPark will find a local homeowner with a driveway within a five-minute walk of the EV driver, install a home charger and give said fleet driver exclusive access to that charging point.
– Through FleetCharge, all the upfront EV charging installation costs are covered, but it could potentially earn the hosts a guaranteed additional income of £1,000 a year – all tax-free.
MERCEDES-BENZ ESTABLISHES SUSTAINABLE BATTERY RECYCLING
– Mercedes-Benz rolls out its global strategy for recycling automotive battery systems
– The project is intended to set standards in terms of battery recycling from an ecological point of view: the process design of the patented hydrometallurgy with recovery rates of more than 96 percent is expected to allow a holistic circular economy of battery materials.
– Construction of the plant is in two stages. Initially, a plant for mechanical dismantling will be constructed by 2023. As a second step – subject to promising discussions with the public sector – the facilities for hydrometallurgical processing of the battery materials are to go into operation. This means that in the future, Kuppenheim could cover all the stages from dismantling to module level, shredding and drying and subsequent processing of battery-grade material flows.
Original Source : https://group-media.mercedes-benz.com/marsMediaSite/en/instance/ko.xhtml
UBER INVESTS £5 MILLION INSTALLING 700 CHARGERS IN LONDON
– In London, the boroughs of Brent, Newham and Redbridge are cooperating with Uber to install 700 chargers for electric cars on London streets. Uber is investing £5 million in the chargers, which will be branded by Uber but available for all drivers to use.
– The aim is for the new on-street charging points to improve access for those without driveways or home chargers. Uber says it will be working with the boroughs to determine where the chargers should best be installed. An Uber spokesperson told electrive that the chargers will be in the ground in 2023.
– This time last year, Uber launched its ‘Uber Green’ EV-only option, initially in London’s Zone One. Now, Uber says it will expand this option to the whole of the city – meaning that riders will be able to request an electric vehicle from anywhere in the city for the same price as a normal UberX. To incentivise the drivers, Uber ensures that they earn 13% more when taking trips on Uber Green.
PETROL PRICES: RECORD HIGH FUEL COSTS RESULT IN 37% SURGE IN INTEREST FOR ELECTRIC CARS IN THE UK
– There has been a 37 per cent surge in interest for electric vehicles in the past week, following record high petrol prices, new data shows.
– Overall EV searches are also up 150 per cent when compared to the same week last year, says Carwow, a car comparison price site, while configured searches, where buyers consider a specific make and model of EV, are up 51 per cent.It is likely the hike in interest is in response to the record high fuel prices the UK has been experiencing this week.
– A litre of petrol has also hit 198.9p in parts of the country, meaning some people are now paying almost £100 for a 50-litre tank of fuel.
THE EQUINOX EV AND BLAZER EV SS ARE THE ELECTRIC VEHICLES THAT GM NEEDS RIGHT NOW | EDMUNDS
– If the standard Blazer is anything to go by, the Blazer EV SS could debut with sleek, Camaro-like styling and be poised to become the one you’ll want. The Equinox EV, on the other hand, should offer a value proposition that appeals to your practical side. Next year can’t come soon enough to make GM’s EV aspirations a reality.
– The Bolt EV and Bolt EUV also subscribe to the now-outdated electric vehicle maxim that EVs have to look extremely distinct from their gasoline-powered siblings. The success of the more conventionally styled Tesla Model Y and the Mustang Mach-E makes the case that many buyers are interested in an EV that doesn’t look like a traditional EV. Producing a Blazer EV SS with Camaro-like styling could land Chevy into the thick of the sporty EV crossover segment.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Do you think rising fuel prices at the pumps will have a direct impact on EV sales?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT