Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Friday 11th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
RIVIAN CHANGING BATTERY CELLS TO LFP, FOLLOWING TESLA, AND HIGH-NICKEL
– Electric vehicle maker Rivian plans to use new types of battery cells in its electric trucks, delivery vans and SUVs the company said Thursday in a 2021 fourth-quarter shareholder letter. These include cells made with lithium iron phosphate (LFP) chemistry for its standard-level vehicles, and high-nickel chemistry for its longer-range vehicles.
– LFP battery cells do not require any nickel or cobalt, which can be expensive or hard to obtain. They are also generally considered more stable, but less energy-dense, than nickel cobalt aluminum oxide cells, which had been used by Tesla and other automakers in electric vehicles.
– Rivian founder and CEO RJ Scaringe explained on an earnings call after hours on Thursday that the company and its suppliers are facing a variety of constraints due to the Covid pandemic, Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and their impacts on global supply chains.
– Rivian Commercial Vehicles, such as the EDV-700 it developed for Amazon, should have “similar daily range capabilities with LFP chemistry, and this chemistry provides meaningful cost savings for us,” Rivian wrote in its shareholder letter.
– the R1T pickup and R1S SUV, Rivian expects an estimated range of over 260 miles with the LFP-based standard battery pack.
Original Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/10/rivian-changing-battery-cells-to-lfp-following-tesla-and-high-nickel.html
RIVIAN SAYS IT DELIVERED NEARLY 1,000 ELECTRIC TRUCKS IN 2021
– Rivian, the buzzy electric vehicle company backed by Ford and Amazon, delivered 909 vehicles to customers in the fourth quarter of 2021, the company said in its second earnings report since its historic IPO last year. The company says it has delivered a total of 920 vehicles in 2021.
– That number has increased since the start of new year. Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe said that as of March 8th, the company has made 2,425 vehicles since the start of production.
– In a shareholder letter, the company said it expects to produce only 25,000 vehicle over the course of 2022, including its R1T truck and its electric delivery vans for Amazon. Without supply chain problems, the company said it would be able to make 50,000 vehicles.
– Rivian said it brought in $55 million in revenue over the course of the year, almost all of which in the last three months. It recorded a net loss of $2.5 billion in the fourth quarter and a net loss of $4.5 billion for the year.
– In the earnings call, Rivian said that it saw an “increased rate” of cancellations after the price increase was made public, but that “more than half” came back after the company reversed itself.
Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/10/22971092/rivian-electric-truck-deliveries-earnings-q4-2021
AMAZON FACING $10 BILLION HIT AS RIVIAN’S LACK OF HISTORY IS HURTING ITS CHANCES WITH CHIPMAKERS
– Electric vehicle startup Rivian is losing out to rivals in an ongoing battle to secure microchips, posing potentially massive losses for large shareholder Amazon.
– With supply-chain constraints and microchip shortages now forcing it to effectively slash 2022 production targets by half to 25,000 vehicles, thereby exacerbating its forecast operating loss, Rivian’s ongoing misery now threatens to derail Jeff Bezos’s retail empire as well.
– Amazon owns roughly 18% of the equity in Rivian as part of a deal to procure 100,000 electric delivery vans. The e-commerce giant is presently carrying a value of $15.6 billion on its books, according to company filings.
– Unlike other carmakers that are starting to see light at the end of the tunnel in terms of the semiconductor crisis with supplies steadily improving over time, Rivian said it expects the exact opposite. Problems will actually become more acute as it tries to ramp up production into an ongoing shortage.
Original Source : https://fortune.com/2022/03/11/rivian-amazon-ev-microchips-semiconductor-supply-chain/
BIDEN RESTORES CALIFORNIA’S POWER TO SET STRINGENT TAILPIPE RULES
– The Biden administration on Wednesday restored California’s legal authority to set auto pollution and mileage rules that are tighter than federal standards, a potent climate policy that had been stripped away by former President Donald J. Trump.
– The return of one of California’s most powerful environmental prerogatives could have a significant impact on the type of cars Americans will drive in the coming decade, the amount of gasoline the nation consumes and its ability to reduce the tailpipe emissions that contribute heavily to climate change.
– Seventeen other states and the District of Columbia have adopted the California rules, turning them into de facto national standards. Twelve other states are following California’s mandate to sell only zero-emissions vehicles after 2035.
– California’s leaders say they intend to write an auto pollution rule that will phase out the internal combustion engine and replace it with zero-emission batteries.
– Transportation is the largest single source of greenhouse gases generated by the United States, representing 29 percent of the nation’s total emissions.A recent report by the International Energy Agency found that nations would have to end the sale of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035 to keep average global temperatures from increasing 1.5 Celsius, compared with levels during the Industrial Revolution.
Original Source : https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/climate/biden-california-tailpipe-waiver.html
AUDI “SPY” PHOTOS SHOW FACELIFTED E-TRON S SPORTBACK PLAYING IN SNOW
– Audi released an overview of its private winter testing facility located in northern Sweden. The exact location isn’t revealed, and Audi refers to it only as KALT 1. The fenced-in area covers nearly 9,000 acres and offers 51 miles of various roads and paths on which to drive.
– he test car featured here wears the same camouflage coverings we’ve seen before, hiding minor design changes for the mid-cycle refresh.
– the facelift looks to be very minor. We can see some outlines on the front and rear fascias, and everything looks like a match to the current model. The photos also include an interior shot of the prototype, and though we don’t see the full greenhouse, what we do see is also a match to the current E-Tron Sportback.
– Reports say that Audi will christen the updated E-Tron with a Q8 badge, thus giving it more symmetry with the rest of the lineup. The Q4 E-Tron is already out there, and the Q6 E-Tron is coming later this year. It certainly makes sense, and when a properly new model arrives in 2026, the Q8 E-Tron name will already have some history behind it.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/572523/audi-spy-photos-e-tron-s-sportback-snow/
TESLA IS TRIPLING YOUR MODEL Y DELIVERY TIME IF YOU DON’T ADD ON THE $12,000 FSD OPTIO
– A recent update to Tesla’s website configurator reveals that it is prioritizing reservations that include the $12,000 full self-driving (FSD) option, at least for the Model Y and Model 3. For reservations of the Tesla Model Y in particular, delivery estimates change from six months from today (September), to two months (May), simply by choosing the FSD add-on.
– Model 3 customers currently only see a month’s advantage on delivery times buying FSD vs. not. However, Model Y customers might be more motivated to add the FSD option if they have the money and don’t want to wait until September to drive their new EV. By spending $12,000 more, the Model Y delivery window jumps up to May, just two months from now.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2022/03/10/tesla-is-tripling-your-model-y-delivery-time-if-you-dont-add-on-the-12000-fsd-option/
THE BRITISH FIXED THE FORD MUSTANG WITH THIS ELECTRIC VEHICLE
– o you ever look at the original Ford Mustang and find yourself wishing it had a little more — maybe a little spark? Well good news, engineers in the UK have heard your prayers and fixed the Mustang by giving it electric power.
– This magical new creation comes from a small engineering firm called Charge Cars.
– the new EV uses an “official licensed” shell that the firm claims preserves the “classic design and styling of the legendary Ford Mustang.”
– Charge Cars has fitted a 64 kWh battery pack and all-wheel-drive. This means the new electric Mustang has a range of 200 miles and will do zero to 60 in 3.9 seconds thanks to its 400kW of peak power.
– All that electrical tech powering the car is thanks to Charge’s partnership with EV manufacturer Arrival.
– As well as “bespoke” leather seating and interior trim, the new Mustang also features a large screen in place of the center console. Instead of a cluster of gauges, Charge Cars has also added a second screen that shows your speed, range and state of charge. Charge Cars puts a starting price of £350,000 on the new EV, which is $460,000
Original Source : https://jalopnik.com/the-british-finally-came-in-and-fixed-the-mustang-1848628624
THIS IS GOGORO’S FIRST SOLID-STATE BATTERY: IT COULD BE AN EV GAME-CHANGER
– Solid-state batteries may be widely expected to be the future of electric vehicle power, but it’s Gogoro – better known for mass-market electric scooters – not the big automakers that has delivered the first, fully-functional prototype.
– Yamaha, AeonMotor, Yadeo, and DCJ all use its battery technology in their various models. Gogoro, though, prefers to think of itself as a power platform: one that just so happens to be most prevalent, right now, in urban mobility.
– That prevalence has seen it just ship its one-millionth battery pack. It has around 2,200 GoStation locations – where the swappable batteries are exchanged – in Taiwan alone, more than 2,300 globally, and more than 450,000 riders.
– Solid-state batteries, with a lithium-ceramic module developed by partners ProLogium Technologies, promise to be more stable and pack more performance.
– Gogoro’s current lithium batteries pack approximately 1.7 kWh in each unit: eventually, the company says, it expects to take that to 2.5 kWh. Gogoro has already benefited from efforts in some markets to oust ICE-based two-wheelers from cities: in China for example, where Gogoro’s local EV partners are expected to begin releasing their first scooters this spring, new regulations are expected to see around 270 million vehicles retired by 2025 because they don’t meet upgraded safety and emissions standards.
Original Source : https://www.slashgear.com/777070/ev-charging-explained-the-fastest-chargers-at-home-and-on-the-road/
DPD ORDERS ANOTHER 150 ESPRINTER
– Following the deployment of the first vehicles since 2020 as part of a pilot project, the German logistics service provider DPD has now added a further 150 eSprinter electric vans from Mercedes-Benz Vans to its German fleet. The vehicles will be used at the depot locations in Hamburg, Essen and Nuremberg.
– DPD has opted for the high-roof body with a gross vehicle weight of 3.5 tonnes and for the larger battery. The 47 kWh power storage unit (gross: 55 kWh) enables a range of 128-158 kilometres with a maximum payload of 849 kilograms. With the DC fast-charge function, the battery can be charged from ten to 80 percent in 25 minutes. In the high-roof version, the load volume is eleven cubic metres – as in the combustion engine models. The 85 kW electric motor drives the front axle, the maximum torque is 295 Nm.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/03/09/dpd-orders-another-150-esprinter/
XPENG OPENS P5 RESERVATION BOOKS IN FOUR EUROPEAN MARKETS
– XPENG Motors today announced the opening of customer reservations of its P5 smart EV sedan, its third and latest production model on the market in four important European electric vehicle markets. Pre-orders have opened simultaneously in Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, and Sweden, and do not require a deposit.
– The P5’s reservation process is done digitally and is currently available in all four markets, both via the XPENG official websites in each country, and by way of the XPENG mobile APP launched earlier this week.
– The European version of the P5 is equipped with version 2.5 of XPENG’s proprietary advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) called XPILOT, as well as XPENG’s in-car operating system – Xmart OS. Chinese versions of the P5 come with a higher level of ADAS, XPILOT 3.5, however, the high-precision mapping that the system requires isn’t available in Europe just yet
– The P5 has a 66 kWh battery pack and an aerodynamic profile, which together produce a 288-mile (465 km) WLTP driving range.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/572707/xpeng-p5-european-reservation-open/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Do you think rising fuel prices at the pumps will have a direct impact on EV sales?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT