Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Thursday 10th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
2024 CHEVY BLAZER EV WILL HAVE AN SS PERFORMANCE VARIANT
– Chevrolet’s Blazer crossover is going electric for the 2024 model year with the launch of the Blazer EV and a teaser video released today indicates a performance-oriented SS trim will be part of the lineup
– The Blazer follows an onslaught of other electric vehicle announcements from General Motors, including the GMC Hummer EV and Chevy Silverado EV pickup trucks, all of which use the company’s Ultium battery technology.
– Earlier this year, Chevrolet revealed the first images of the Equinox EV, an electric SUV sharing the name of the company’s popular compact crossover.
– Chevy says that the Blazer will be the company’s first EV to gain a performance SS badge when it debuts later this year.
– The Blazer SS will go on sale in spring of 2023
CHEVY TEASES ITS FIRST PERFORMANCE ELECTRIC VEHICLE, THE 2024 BLAZER EV SS
– The automaker revealed little about the Blazer at CES, though, preferring instead to share details about the Equinox. Set to go on sale with an MSRP of around $30,000, the compact Equinox SUV will be a bargain by EV standards. Despite that, big screens and fancy technology will still be present, suggesting that Chevrolet is taking its transition to electric vehicles seriously.
GENERAL MOTORS PARTNERING WITH CALIFORNIA UTILITY PROVIDER PG&E FOR V2H PILOT
– General Motors announced a new partnership with California utility provider Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) that will allow GM customers to use their electric vehicles as backup power sources for their homes.
– As part of the pilot, PG&E and GM will test vehicles with bidirectional charging technology that can help safely power the essential needs of a properly equipped home. Bidirectional charging capabilities offer a higher level of electric resiliency and less reliability on the grid, especially during peak times.
– The pilot includes the use of bidirectional hardware that’s paired with software-defined communications protocols that will enable power to flow from a charged EV battery into a customer’s home. The software will automatically coordinate between the EV, home and PG&E’s electric supply from the street.
– The pilot will test bidirectional power technology with multiple GM EVs.
– Last month, Ford announced a partnership with San Francisco-based Sunrun, a provider of residential solar panels and home batteries that allows Ford F-150 Lightning owners to use their truck’s substantial battery reserves as a home’s emergency power source.
– To use Ford’s Intelligent Backup Power, customers will need to install the Ford Charge Station Pro and Home Integration System, which includes a power inverter plus a dark start battery and transfer switch, enabling two-way power flow between the home and vehicle.
TESLA DEPLOYS EMERGENCY SOFTWARE UPDATE 2022.4.5.12 TO CALIBRATE LFP BATTERIES
– Tesla appears to be taking a more serious step to fix the issue of the new 12V Li-Ion batteries failing in Model 3s equipped with lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries.
– An emergency software update was deployed today, 2022.4.5.12, which can be downloaded and installed over the vehicle’s LTE connection
– Tesla says the range indicator in the vehicle is being calibrated, without providing further details on how exactly that is being accomplished.
– Last week we reported how LFP batteries in recently delivered Model 3s that had not been charged to 100% were over or underestimating the vehicle’s range. This caused the computer to think the car still had 10% of range left when in reality the main battery was already at 0%.
– When the main battery died, the 12V Li-Ion battery was also dying
TESLA CONFIRMS DELIVERIES OF GERMAN-BUILT MODEL YS ARE STARTING ON MARCH 22
– Tesla has confirmed that deliveries of Model Y vehicles built at Gigafactory Berlin in Germany are starting on March 22.
– Last week, after months of delays, Tesla finally received its official building permit following the environmental approval of its Gigafactory Berlin project.
– However, the approval was conditional on about 400 different conditions that the automaker needed to confirm. Surprisingly, German officials said at the time that they expected Tesla to fulfill all those conditions within the next two weeks.
– March 22 will mark an important step for Tesla by starting deliveries of European-made vehicles and putting it on a path of better logistical efficiency.
BRANDENBURG TO MAKE WATER EXTRACTION ALLOWANCES FOR GIGAFACTORY
– After the permit for water extraction, which was found to be illegal and also affects the Tesla factory, Brandenburg wants to tolerate partial extraction. This would allow the public water supply to be maintained, the Ministry of the Environment told the DPA.
– On Friday evening, the Administrative Court of Frankfurt (Oder) had declared the water permit issued in 2020 “unlawful and unenforceable”.
– In a first reaction, the Straußberg-Erkner Water Association (WSE) had demanded that the state tolerate the water pumping until the procedure was made up for.
– However, the 1.4 million cubic metres of water actually contractually guaranteed by the WSE for Tesla would only be needed when the carmaker in Grünheide has actually reached its full capacity of 500,000 cars per year. When that will be the case is still unclear.
TESLA MODEL 3 PRODUCTION ALLOCATION TO EUROPE FROM GIGA SHANGHAI IS SOLD OUT FOR 2022
– Tesla can’t produce the Model 3 and Model Y fast enough to meet the huge demand. The situation is worst in Europe, where the customers rely on Giga Shanghai production allocation. In the case of Model 3 RWD and LR AWD, the estimated delivery time to Germany has jumped to February 2023. This is just shy of a full year away.
– This is true for the customers in Germany, France, and United Kingdom. The waiting time is significantly longer than what people in the North American market are facing. For American customers, the same vehicles are promised to be delivered in May 2022, while the Canadians have to wait until August 2022.
PORSCHE AND MERCEDES-BENZ HALT PRODUCTION LINES
– Both Mercedes-Benz and Porsche, among other automakers, are once more faced with parts and component shortages. This time, the Ukraine war is cited as the root cause for production pauses.
– The two premium German brands are joining BMW, Mini, and Volkswagen, all of which have been forced to idle plants across Europe. At the moment, March 18th is the project date for a return to normal activities however that could change at any moment.
– One of the main missing parts of wiring harnesses which were made in Ukraine. Part production was halted once Russia invaded the country according to Automotive News Europe.
– Mercedes-Benz has halted S-Class and EQS production at its Sindelfingen plant near Stuttgart. Benz’s neighbours, Porsche, deferred Taycan output at its Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen factory.
– Porsche specified that about 200 Taycans will not be built. Over at Mercedes, no such detail has been disclosed.
ELECTRIC VEHICLE BOSSES PROPOSE TWO DIFFERENT CHARGING SOLUTIONS
– Two heavyweights in China’s electric vehicle (EV) industry have lobbied Beijing for different approaches to charging, a key issue in the development of the new energy vehicle market in the country.
– Lei Jun, chief executive officer of smartphone giant Xiaomi which has recently entered the market and Geely CEO Li Shufu
– Xiaomi made its move into an already crowded EV market in March last year, and has started to build its first EV factory on the outskirts of Beijing. Lei, a delegate at the National People’s Congress, suggested that China should develop more high-power charging stations and build new infrastructure.
– However, Geely’s Li has suggested that China build more battery swap stations, which negates the need for lengthy charging stops. Li said in his proposal that the battery swap approach would increase charging efficiency and lower the upfront purchase price of EVs.
– China’s charging stations need upgrading because only about 20 per cent of EV charging piles in the country are high-powered and fast.
– With regards to battery swapping, Zhang said it would be hard to persuade carmakers to accept a standardised battery for swapping, but noted that the approach could have potential in special vehicles, such as electric taxis, and in car-sharing industries.
MOST VOLKSWAGEN PLUG-IN HYBRIDS CAN’T BE ORDERED ANYMORE
– As if the global chip shortage was not enough of a problem for the automotive business already, the Russian invasion in Ukraine is now causing new troubles. Those are obviously nothing compared to the humanitarian crisis currently going on in Ukraine, but more and more automakers are facing production difficulties. Volkswagen is joining them with the announcement that it is no longer accepting orders for most of its plug-in hybrid vehicles.
– Germany’s Automobilwoche, quoted by Automotive News, reports that yesterday Volkswagen stopped taking orders for the plug-in hybrid versions of the Golf, Tiguan, Passat, Arteion, and Touareg.
– It seems that not only the production of plug-in hybrids at Volkswagen is affected, though. Automotive News reports the manufacturer’s core plant in Wolfsburg will be put on pause between March 14 and March 18, while its Zwickau factory – where Volkswagen’s electric vehicles are made – will also be idled until March 18.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/572319/vw-plug-in-hybrids-stopped/
RENTAL CAR GIANTS EMBARK ON ELECTRIC AFTER PANDEMIC BONANZA
– The $100 billion Western rental car industry, flush with cash from a profitable pandemic, is gradually getting its electric show on the road, and Chinese-made vehicles are poised to play a starring role.
– The electric transition could see car fleets, long dominated by famed marques from the United States and Europe, increasingly switch towards Asian automakers, according to a European executive.
– He said electric cars from Chinese and Asian makers were comparable to Western models in terms of quality, citing Great Wall Motor’s (601633.SS) Ora line, but generally cost less.
– In the United States, rental car companies received record monthly revenue of $1,320 per vehicle in 2021, according to Auto Rental News. That compares to around $1,000 pre-pandemic.
– French-based Europcar, meanwhile, pledged to make 20% of its fleet electric or low-emission hybrid by 2024, from 3% now, which means it will need to buy up to 70,000 cleaner vehicles in the coming two years if it restocks its fleet to the 350,000 vehicles it owned pre-pandemic.
– In the United States, where many customers prefer SUV and pickup models that have yet to be electrified and public charging infrastructure lags much of Asia and Europe, Enterprise Holdings is striking a more cautious tone
– Great Wall Motor, one of Europcar’s suppliers, is expected to launch its Ora Cat compact electric car in Europe this year priced at around 20,000 euros ($22,260) with a range of around 250 miles (400 km)
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Do you think rising fuel prices at the pumps will have a direct impact on EV sales?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT