Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Tuesday 8th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
FORD DEALERS WILL FINALLY BE FORCED TO LEARN ABOUT ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– In the wake of the decision to split its EV and gasoline vehicle divisions, Ford has announced that its dealers will need to “opt-in” to selling EVs along with normal combustion cars, according to Automotive News.
– While the company has no apparent plans to create new dealers or work outside its network of roughly 3,100 existing retail stores, Ford CEO Jim Farley said in an interview that dealers should “get ready to specialize.”
– Dealers that currently sell the Mustang Mach-E, E-Transit, and are anticipating inventory of the new F-150 Lightning can continue selling them for the next year and a half.
– The new dealer agreement isn’t finalized yet, but Ford executives have made clear they hope for a no-inventory, direct-order model, as well as non-negotiable pricing and smaller facilities for dealers.
– Tesla, one of Ford’s main EV competitors, works off of a direct sale model, which Farley estimates helps Tesla save almost $2,000 per vehicle. But he added that “not everything can be done remote” and that Ford still understands the importance of brick-and-mortar dealerships in customer satisfaction.
NUMEROUS FORD MUSTANG MACH-E TRIMS NO LONGER ABLE TO BE ORDERED
– Ford has reportedly stopped taking orders for two Mustang Mach-E trims due to excessive demand. According to Ford Authority, who site sources “familiar with the matter”, the Blue Oval will not take any new orders for Premium and California Route 1 trim levels for the remained of the 2022 model year.
– Mach-E buyers will only be able to get the Extended Range battery by buying the $61,995 GT. The Select trim only comes with the Standard Range pack, although you can get it in either RWD or AWD guise.
– The ongoing semiconductor shortage likely played a key role in Ford’s decision. The marque has already experienced production issues this year. Last month Mach-E production was temporarily halted due to supply chain issues.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/571729/mach-e-trims-not-available
GM ANNOUNCES $400 MILLION EV BATTERY MATERIALS PLANT IN CANADA
– General Motors and South Korea’s POSCO Chemical announced plans to build a new EV battery materials plant in Quebec, Canada.
– The two parties said they are working with the governments of Canada and Quebec to build a new facility that will produce cathode active material (CAM), with the investment estimated at $400 million (C$500 million).
– The cathode active material produced at the new plant will go into GM’s Ultium batteries, which will power electric vehicles such as the Chevrolet Silverado EV, GMC Hummer EV and Cadillac Lyriq. CAM is a key battery material consisting of components like processed nickel, lithium and other materials making up about 40% of the cost of a battery cell.
– By the end of 2025, GM plans to have capacity to build 1 million electric vehicles in North America. The company targets the majority of components by value to be sustainably sourced, processed or manufactured in North America.
NICKEL PRICE SURGE COULD THREATEN AUTOMAKERS’ EV PLANS
– The price of nickel is surging as investors take stock of the new global reality: Russia, a key supplier of the metal, is now facing extensive sanctions following its invasion of Ukraine.
– In an unusual step, the London Metal Exchange suspended nickel trading on Tuesday morning after three-month contract prices more than doubled to over $100,000 per ton.
– Nickel is a critical ingredient in the lithium-ion battery cells used in most electric vehicles sold in — and planned for — the U.S. market. Its abrupt price surge has analysts and investors raising hard questions about automakers’ ambitious electric-vehicle programs.
– When the battery cell is charged, lithium ions are driven from the cathode to the anode. As the cell is discharged, the ions move back to the cathode, releasing energy.In recent years, automakers have discovered that adding more nickel to the cathode can boost a battery’s energy density, which translates into more range per pound of batteries.
– Some use even more, in part to reduce or eliminate cobalt, and in part to increase density for premium applications: The cathodes in cells that Korean battery giant LG Chem supplies to Tesla are 90% nickel, for instance.
– Given the relatively high cost of nickel, and the concerns about supply that were being voiced before Russia invaded Ukraine, automakers have signaled that lithium-ion batteries with high-nickel cathodes are likely to be limited to premium applications.
EPA PROPOSES CUTS TO SMOG, SOOT POLLUTION FROM HEAVY TRUCKS
– The Biden administration is proposing stronger pollution regulations for new tractor-trailer rigs that would clean up smoky diesel engines and encourage new technologies during the next two decades.
– The proposal released Monday by the Environmental Protection Agency would require the industry to cut smog-and-soot-forming nitrogen oxide emissions by up to 90% per truck over current standards by 2031. The emissions can cause respiratory problems in humans.
– Although truck manufacturers are working on battery-electric and hydrogen fuel cell powertrains, the EPA says the proposal is not a zero-emissions truck requirement. Rather, the agency says there are pollution control devices in development that can keep diesels in use and still clean the air.
– Environmental groups praised the EPA’s action, but many urged the administration to move quickly on the proposal and then go farther toward requiring zero-emissions trucks.
– The new standards would bring widespread air quality improvements, particularly in areas already exposed to heavy truck traffic, officials say.
Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2022/03/08/epa-smog-soot-heavy-trucks/
STELLANTIS BUILDS EV CAPACITY WITH BATTERY SUPPLIER PARTNERSHIPS
– Stellantis entered into a pair of joint partnerships with Korean battery suppliers, adding necessary capacity for planned North American EV production
– The battery partnerships are long-term investments in Stellantis’ goal of 5 million battery-electric vehicle sales by 2030.
– Jeep’s first fully electric SUV will roll out in early 2023, and a Ram 1500 BEV pickup truck will arrive in 2024
TESLA’S CYLINDRICAL BATTERY COULD BE ‘GAME-CHANGER’: REPORT
– Tesla’s new tab-less cylindrical battery cell has the potential to become a game-changer in the electric vehicle industry, according to the Korea Automotive Technology Institute (KATECH).
– The KATECH released an industry trend report on Monday that said the EV market must prepare for what is to come after Tesla starts mass producing its 4680 batteries.
– The institute predicts battery companies that currently focus on producing unified cells and pouch cells will have to choose between continuing to speedily produce their cells or coming up with their own tab-less cylindrical cells.
– It added that as important as it is to develop next-generation secondary battery technology, it is just as important to improve the design and economic feasibility of existing secondary battery technology.
Original Source : http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php
HERO ELECTRIC & SUN MOBILITY PARTNER UP FOR BATTERY SWAPPING IN INDIA
– In India, electric two-wheeler manufacturer Hero Electric has announced its partnership with Sun Mobility, a provider of energy infrastructure and services for EVs, to deploy electric two-wheelers integrated with the latter’s smart-swappable battery technology.
– Sun Mobility battery swapping stations will also be appearing at petrol stations from the Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
– Sun Mobility’s swappable battery also powers Piaggio‘s Ape E-City
– Sohinder Gill, CEO, Hero Electric, said, “Battery Swapping is emerging as a good catalyst for the exponential growth of the electric two-wheelers in India. It reduces the upfront cost of buying a two-wheeler, eliminates the range anxiety and the apprehensions about the useful life of the batteries. It certainly makes a lot of sense for the B2B customers as the swapping stations can be placed in the working zones for the riders to allow them to run their bikes without waiting for the recharging of the batteries.”
BRAND NEW SIX-FIGURE TESLA MODEL X DELIVERED WITH MISMATCHED TIRES
– magine you’re eagerly awaiting your new 1,020-hp, $131,190 high-performance electric SUV, and it finally arrives straight out from the factory with … dangerously mismatched tires? According to twitter user @EZebroni (Ethan Joseph), that really happened. He ordered a Tesla Model X Plaid back in August 2021. After a few estimated delivery date changes, Tesla had finally assigned a vehicle for Ethan to take delivery of in March 2022.
– Upon looking up the tires on tirerack.com, Ethan noticed the front two are the correct Michelin Latitude Sports 3 UTQG 220 (treadwear) AA (traction) A (temperature) sport summer tires. The rears? An incorrect set of Continental CrossContact LX Sport UTQG 480 A A touring all-season tires. Those are two very different types of tire compounds with drastic differences in grip ability that will vary even more greatly in colder weather, as the summer-spec front tires will harden and deliver less traction than the rears.
– A quick vehicle dynamics lesson: When the rear wheels experience significantly less traction than the fronts, it would be easier to introduce oversteer in a hard corner, even without lifting off the accelerator or suddenly braking (which shifts the vehicle’s weight more onto the front tires, unloading the rears). The opposite is the case in cold weather, when the harder front tires will deliver less grip and thus unexpected understeer.
– Ethan tells MotorTrend that he thinks the car might be a reject from another buyer and was assigned to him afterwards.
Original Source : https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-model-x-mismatched-tires-delivery/
PEUGEOT REACHES OVER 1000 E-LCV SALES ALREADY IN 2022
– The brand has also recorded over 1000 Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) Light Commercial Vehicle sales so far in 2022, ranking as the number one brand for sales in this sector with over 50% share of the market in February.
– PEUGEOT’s strong e-LCV performance is reflective of the brand’s offering in this sector: the e-Partner, e-Expert and e-Boxer form a complete line-up of electric vans to suit all customer needs.
ENDING THE UK’S DEPENDENCE ON RUSSIAN DIESEL
– Appalled at the Russian atrocities in Ukraine, many western leaders are talking about embargoing Russian oil. In light of this, the UK has announced that it intends to phase-out imports of Russian oil by the end of 2022. The UK does not consume much Russian gas, but we do have a little-known reliance on Russian diesel.
– The UK consumes around 20-25,000,000 tonnes of diesel a year, around half of which comes from imports. Domestic production of diesel has been steadily declining in recent years, and increases in demand have been met by rising imports. Around a third of our imports come directly from Russia, and all told 18% of the diesel that goes in people’s cars comes directly from Russia
– The UK’s second largest supplier of diesel is the Netherlands, which extracts next to no oil itself and is a trading hub with supplies of diesel and oil products largely originating from elsewhere, including Russia. Russia also supplies a tenth of our crude oil imports, some of which gets refined into diesel.
– The reality is that there are still 12 million diesel cars on the road. That number has only recently peaked and is starting to decline, but there is a way to go before we are rid of diesel cars.
– In the UK, a quarter of all cars are responsible for around half of all car miles. And the top ten percent of cars by annual mileage drive a quarter of annual total car miles. In other words, there is a small number of drivers that do a significant share of all miles. These drivers are disproportionately large consumers of transport fuels. We know that diesel cars are favoured by such drivers, because of the fuel economy advantages of diesel cars. These drivers include taxis, rental cars, as well as public service vehicles such as police cars – any car that is not often sitting parked.
– By focusing incentives for electric cars on these drivers, the UK can dramatically reduce its dependence on road fuels.
Original Source : https://newautomotive.org/blog/ending-dependence-on-russian-diesel
TESLA SUPERCHARGER FEE GAFFE RESULTS IN MODEL 3 OWNER TEMPORARILY GETTING $600K BILL
– A Model 3 owner in China faced a shocking Supercharger bill after using Tesla’s proprietary rapid charging system in Shanghai. After receiving an alert on his Tesla Mobile App that he has been blocked from using Superchargers, the Model 3 owner decided to check what was causing the error — and found out that his car had accumulated RMB 3.8 million (over $600k) in charging fees.
– haring the Model 3 owner’s experience, the @滤镜粉碎机 group on Weibo posted screenshots of the EV maker’s local branch communicating about the issue. Tesla China confirmed that the mammoth Supercharger fees generated by the Model 3 were due to an error in the backend systems of some vehicles.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-supercharger-fee-600k-gaffe-china/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Do you think rising fuel prices at the pumps will have a direct impact on EV sales?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT