Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Monday 7th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER IAN HARRISON. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
VOLKSWAGEN ID. BUZZ: SUSTAINABLE, WITH PLENTY OF ATTENTION TO DETAIL | VOLKSWAGEN NEWSROOM
– Compact on the outside, spacious on the inside: ID. Buzz and ID. Buzz Cargo – whether you choose the bus or cargo version, both models utilise the space extraordinarily well thanks to the space-saving MEB concept. The five-seater ID. Buzz provides space for 1,121 litres of luggage even with all passengers on board. The maximum storage volume of the ID. Buzz Cargo, equipped with a partition behind the first row of seats, also amounts to more than 3.9 m3.
– The ID. Buzz will be available in seven single colour options and four two-tone colour schemes. This combination of white and fresh colours is carried through to the interior, which incorporates style elements from the T1 generation and transfers them to the current era of electric mobility. The colours correspond to the exterior paintwork and are optionally reflected in the seat cushions, dash panel and door trim. Background lighting (optionally available with up to 30 colours) provides atmospheric accents
– Leather and other materials of animal origin do not feature at all and are replaced with substitute materials with similar properties and feel.
Original Source : https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/press-releases/volkswagen-id-buzz-sustainable-with-plenty-of-attention-to-detail-7773
TESLA BECOMES THE TARGET OF CHEVROLET NATIONAL DEALER COUNCIL CHAIRMAN’S EV GOALS – TESLARATI
– Keith McCluskey, the Chevrolet National Dealer Council chairman, has his sights aimed high as the veteran automaker increases its efforts to break into the growing electric vehicle sector. Amidst parent company General Motors’ continued EV efforts, McCluskey maintained that Chevrolet dealers are looking to beat a formidable rival — Tesla.
– “We want to beat Tesla on EVs. We want to meet demand,” McCluskey said.
– Being General Motors’ high-volume brand, expectations are high that Chevrolet would be producing electric vehicles from numerous price points for consumers. This should be covered by not only the Silverado EV but vehicles like the electric Equinox and Blazer as well. The electric Equinox is expected to start at around $30,000, a price that should make it competitive against popular EVs in the market like the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-chevy-dealer-chairman-goals/
HYUNDAI MOTOR LAUNCHES ‘KONA’ ELECTRIC VEHICLE WITH ‘LG AND CATL BATTERY’ – ETNEWS
– Hyundai Motor’s battery electric vehicle (BEV) ‘Kona Electric’ will be released next month with a completely different look from the previous time, which experienced a large-scale recall from a series of fire incidents
– Both the body design and battery system have been changed and significantly improved. LG Energy Solution was kept as the battery supplier, and added CATL from a Chinese company. Hyundai Motor considered the possibility of discontinuation at one point, but decided to refine its heat transfer system and aimed to compete head-to-head.
– On the 6th, Hyundai Motor will launch three fully transformed second-generation models of Kona in Korea next month
– The new Kona is larger in size compared to before
– CATL was added along with existing battery supplier, LG Energy Solution, in order to improve export competitiveness abroad including China. This is interpreted as a two-track strategy according to the sales region and driving performance specifications. Electric vehicles equipped with CATL batteries are likely to be sold in Korea and other countries.
– Although the form-factor of the CATL battery has not been confirmed, it is highly likely that a ‘CTP (Cell to Pack)’-based lithium iron phosphate (LFP) battery that directly connects the cell to the pack may be equipped instead of the conventional cell to module and pack method.
Original Source : https://english.etnews.com/20220307200001
2ND GEN HYUNDAI KONA SPIED, ANOTHER LOOK INSIDE – KOREAN CAR BLOG
– A few days ago we showed you up the first look inside and out of the all new Hyundai Kona (Codenamed as SX2) slated for 2023, thanks to our colleagues at CarPIX. Today we have new pictures, this time taken in South Korea by our colleagues at WoopaTV who captured it inside of a parking lot and gives us another look of the interior.
– Its EV sibling is codenamed SX2e EV, with ‘e’ denoting Europe, according to some reports.
Original Source : https://thekoreancarblog.com/2022/03/07/2nd-gen-hyundai-kona-spied-another-look-inside/
ANALYSIS: UKRAINE INVASION SETS BACK DREAM FOR CHEAPER EVS, FOR NOW | REUTERS
– Surging raw materials costs, made worse by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, could set back the dream of Tesla (TSLA.O) Chief Executive Elon Musk and other auto executives to roll out more affordable electric vehicles.
– Rising prices of nickel, lithium and other materials threaten to slow and even temporarily reverse the long-term trend of falling costs of batteries, the most expensive part of EVs, hampering the broader adoption of the technology, said Gregory Miller, an analyst at industry forecaster Benchmark Mineral Intelligence.
– The conflict in Ukraine has only raised the stakes, pushing nickel prices to an 11-year-high on fears that exports from leading producer Russia could be disrupted. Lithium prices also have increased, more than doubling since year end, as supply fell short of rising demand.
– The average EV sold for almost $63,000 in January in the United States, about 35% higher than the overall industry average for all vehicles of just over $46,000, according to research firm Cox Automotive.
– Rivian tried last week to push through a 20% price increase on its electric pickups and SUVs to offset higher parts costs, but retreated for those who had already placed orders when faced with a backlash that included possible sale cancellations.
– LG Energy Solution (373220.KS), a supplier to Tesla and General Motors Co (GM.N), said raw materials account for 70% or 80% of the cost of its batteries.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/technology/ukraine-invasion-sets-back-musks-dream-cheaper-evs-now-2022-03-07/
TESLA MODEL 3 DELIVERIES DELAYED IN CHINA | BENZINGA
– Deliveries for the Model 3 sedan and the Model 3 Performance are now expected to take place in an estimated 16 to 20 weeks, from an earlier 12 to 16 weeks. Tesla has kept prices unchanged, according to the report.
– The updated timeline means that customers who place their orders now will not get deliveries at least until the end of June.
– The entry-level Model Y’s wait period has been reduced by two weeks to 10 to 14 weeks, although the Model Y Long Range’s delivery dates have been stretched by four weeks. The waiting period for the Model Y Performance remains unchanged.
Original Source : https://www.benzinga.com/markets/asia/22/03/26011291/tesla-model-3-deliveries-delayed-in-china-heres-how-much-longer-waits-buyers-can-expect
ELECTRIC CAR SALES RISE AMID RECORD-HIGH GAS PRICES – NBC BAY AREA
– The electric car market is turning into the Bay Area’s newest real estate market with people offering thousands of dollars over the asking price right now as gas prices surge.
– Low inventory also has a lot to do with it.
– Tony Behari with San Mateo Auto Sales said that he is currently seeing 10 times the normal interest in electric and hybrid cars.
– “A lot of the people I’ve been speaking to are all thinking the gas prices are going to go to $7 or $8 a gallon and they don’t want to be in that situation,” Behari said.
– For example, the Chevrolet Bolt is one of the more popular hybrid cars. The San Mateo Auto Sales said that type of vehicle doesn’t last more than three days on the lot.
With no stock at dealerships, a car like the Bolt can cost someone 35% more than just months ago.
Original Source : https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/electric-car-sales-rise-amid-record-high-gas-prices/2830177/
ASTON MARTIN INKS DEAL TO DEVELOP BATTERIES WITH BRITISHVOLT – CNBC
– Aston Martin is to work with Britishvolt on the development of “high performance battery cell technology,” as the carmaker gears up to launch a battery-electric vehicle in 2025. The two firms have signed a memorandum of understanding relating to the plans.
– In an announcement Monday, the companies said a joint R&D team would “design, develop, and industrialise battery packs, including bespoke modules and a battery management system.”
– According to the business, all of its new product lines will offer the option of an electrified powertrain by the year 2026. Deliveries of a plug-in hybrid, the Valhalla, will start in 2024
– Britishvolt is building a gigafactory in the county of Northumberland, northeast England. The company has received backing from the U.K. government and Glencore
Original Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/07/aston-martin-inks-deal-to-develop-batteries-with-britishvolt.html
VINFAST JOINS FORCES WITH LEASEPLAN FOR EUROPE – ELECTRIVE.COM
– LeasePlan is to support Vietnamese EV manufacturer VinFast in its market entry in the Netherlands, Germany and France.
– The company says that the collaboration offers VinFast customers flexible financing options in the aforementioned entry markets.
– VinFast, which is also aiming for a listing on the US stock exchange, gave more details about its European strategy at the end of September 2021. In January 2022, the carmaker showed five electric cars at CES in Las Vegas, but not all of them will come to Europe. The first of these will be the VF8 and VF9 e-SUVs, which are already available for pre-order – at prices starting at 43,900 euros for the VF8 and 58,600 euros for the VF9. In both cases, however, there is a monthly battery rental fee.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/03/06/vinfast-joins-forces-with-leaseplan-for-europe/
MG4 EV/CYBERE – EVERYTHING WE KNOW AS OF MARCH 2022 – TOP ELECTRIC SUV
– SAIC-owned MG Motor is developing a new electric vehicle that is more advanced and premium than the MG ZS EV, despite the lower price positioning. Codenamed MG EH32, some claim it will be called MG4 EV, while CarNewsChina says it will arrive as MG CyberE.
– Unlike the ZS EV, the MG4 EV/MG CyberE will be a model conceived as an electric vehicle. Another difference will be that while the ZS EV came off an ICE model (ZS), the upcoming model will be a bespoke EV, and appears to not have a provision for a combustion engine. MG has released a few teasers of the future EV, but greyscale patent images have already revealed its exterior design.
– A tell-all spy shot of the MG4’s contemporary cabin surfaced on Autospy on February 17, 2022.
– central armrest with storage space, and a large touchscreen infotainment system. We also spot a fully-digital cockpit, and a sleek panel extending from under the infotainment system that houses a gear selector and a rotary dial.
– Expect the base price of the MG4 EV in Europe to fall well under EUR 30,000. MG plans to conduct the future EV’s European premiere in Q4 2022 (October-December 2022).
Original Source : https://topelectricsuv.com/news/mg/mg4-ev-cybere-details/
MERCEDES-BENZ TRUCKS UK BEGINS SALES OF THE ALL-ELECTRIC EACTROS | MERCEDES-BENZ TRUCKS MEDIA SITE
– UK truck operators are being invited to enter a new age of sustainable road transport by placing the first orders for right-hand drive versions of the battery-electric Mercedes-Benz eActros.
– Aimed at those engaged in heavy-duty, short-haul distribution, the ground-breaking vehicle produces zero tailpipe emissions and offers a range of up to 249 miles (400 km) (1). It is now available to order as a 4×2 or 6×2 chassis, with deliveries to UK customers beginning in May.
– Mercedes-Benz Trucks UK has adopted the ‘direct sales’ model already successfully employed for the 7.5-tonne FUSO eCanter, the world’s first fully electric light-duty truck to enter series production.
– Each battery pack has an installed energy capacity of 112 kWh (2), and a useable capacity of 97 kWh (3). As a result, the eActros 300 with three battery packs can travel up to 300 km, while the four-battery pack eActros 400 achieves up to 400 km.
– The 4×2 chassis with three battery packs offers a maximum body and payload allowance of 10.6 tonnes – this rises to 17.7 tonnes in the 6×2 chassis with three batteries
– The eActros can be charged with up to 160 kW – when connected to a regular 400A DC charging station three battery packs need just over an hour to recharge from 20 to 80% capacity.
Original Source : https://media.mbtrucks.co.uk/press-releases/heavy-duty-distribution-with-zero-emissions-mercedes-benz-trucks-uk-begins-sales-of-the-all-electric-eactros
OPEL TO BECOME PURELY ELECTRIC IN RECORD TIME | OPEL | STELLANTIS
– Opel is becoming a purely electric brand. By 2028, the Rüsselsheim-based carmaker will have switched its entire product line-up to purely electric drives.
– Presently, customers can order twelve electrified variants – from the small Opel Rocks-e to the large Movano-e transporter. A further battery-electric model will follow by mid-decade in the new interpretation of the Opel Manta. And the successors of the Opel Crossland and Opel Insignia will also be electric – and therefore emissions free.
– All Opel light commercials vehicles already offer an emissions-free option. The Opel Combo-e, Vivaro-e and Movano-e are battery-electric
– On the passenger car side, the Opel Corsa-e and Mokka-e – winners of the coveted Golden Steering Wheel in 2020 and 2021 – have long since advanced to bestsellers. In Germany, the share of the battery-electric variants of these models already makes up more than 25 percent of all sales.
Original Source : https://www.media.stellantis.com/em-en/opel/press/opel-to-become-purely-electric-in-record-time
SAIETTA STEPS UP EFFORTS ON RETROFITTING BUSES WITH BATTERY-ELECTRIC POWERTRAINS – SUSTAINABLE BUS
– UK-based e-mobility powertrain specialist Saietta steps up the efforts of its RetroMotion division, with the goal of intensifying an overhaul operation to transform existing high polluting diesel-engine-powered buses and coaches into battery-electric vehicles (through in-wheel electric motor in-house technology and LFP batteries).
– The powertrain conversion replaces the aging diesel ICE and all its associated components, including the gearbox, with an advanced e-propulsion system. This means that an in-wheel electric motor technology is applied to the rear wheels of the coach or bus.
– A twin-tire solution with front mounted rims is used as part of the re-design to ensure the in-wheel motors fit seamlessly to the existing application. Critical systems such as the high-power inverter and motor components like the stator and rotor with permanent magnets are also installed as part of the transformation.
– The elimination of a gearbox that was once mated to the diesel ICE means that in the new all-electric powertrain setup, no energy is consumed by having to go through the gears or using a differential, further boosting real-world efficiency.
– The Lithium-iron Phosphate (LFP) battery pack is available in a range of power outputs to suit differing requirements, varying from 181kWh to 422kWh.
Original Source : https://www.sustainable-bus.com/news/saietta-retrofit-buses-electric-retromotion/
(2) Jay in Shanghai 🇨🇳 on Twitter: “NIO ET7 currently is the Hottest EV on the market right now! Chinese Social Media is blowing up with videos and pictures of NIO ET7 Test Drive Experience. #NIO #ET7 #TestDrive $NIO @NIOGlobal https://t.co/Rl7qKciYCd” / Twitter
– NIO ET7 currently is the Hottest EV on the market right now!
Chinese Social Media is blowing up with videos and pictures of NIO ET7 Test Drive Experience.
Original Source : https://twitter.com/JayinShanghai/status/1500470639177740296
(2) 42HOW on Twitter: “It’s our turn to experience NIO ET7! Video content will be released in the next couple of days! Stay tuned and remember to give us a follow! @NIOGlobal #NIO #NIOET7 #MediaTestDrive #ReadyforTomorrow $NIO https://t.co/dGgRpRFV2y” / Twitter
– It’s our turn to experience NIO ET7! Video content will be released in the next couple of days!
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/ls6tnBpzHI/
- Original Source : https://twitter.com/42how_/status/1500872705289355264
(2) Mark Andrews on Twitter: “As @leixing77 guessed indeed I drove the Nio ET7 yesterday. Here are some pictures from the track. #Nio $NIO #NioET7 #China #ElectricVehicles #ElectricCars https://t.co/htiuA0upe3” / Twitter
– I drove the Nio ET7 yesterday. Here are some pictures from the track.
Original Source : https://twitter.com/chinacarstravel/status/1500839614340550656
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Do you think rising fuel prices at the pumps will have a direct impact on EV sales?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT