Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Sunday 6th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER PT. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
SONY AND HONDA PLAN TO MAKE ELECTRIC VEHICLES TOGETHER
– Sony and Honda are planning to form a new company to design and sell electric vehicles together. The venture hasn’t been finalized just yet, but the two companies have signed a memorandum of understanding that states their intent. The as-yet unnamed new company is expected to be formed this year, with sales of the first EV model planned for 2025.
– The partnership is intended to combine Honda’s expertise in making and marketing cars with Sony’s capabilities in image sensors, telecommunications, and entertainment.
– Sony has signaled its intentions to enter the automotive world for a while, but this marks its first concrete move into the commercial industry. At CES 2020, Sony showed off an electric concept car called the Vision-S, and followed it up at CES 2022 with the Vision-S 02. At that time Sony announced plans to establish an operating company called Sony Mobility by the spring of 2022; it would appear that the new Honda partnership has rendered that idea moot.
HUAWEI’S COMPETITOR TO TESLA ELECTRIC CARS TO BEGIN DELIVERIES IN CHINA
– The first electric car with Huawei’s HarmonyOS operating system is set to begin deliveries at a ceremony on Saturday in Shanghai, according to an announcement on social media.
– Huawei’s consumer business group CEO Richard Yu spent an hour at a winter product launch event promoting the car, the Aito M5. But the Chinese telecommunications company has emphasized it will not make cars on its own, rather working with auto manufacturers on autonomous driving and other technology.
– Seres is the automaker behind the Aito M5. The company is also known as SF Motors and is a Silicon Valley-based subsidiary of automaker Sokon
– id-sized SUV costs 249,800 yuan ($39,651), after subsidies
GREATER GREENHOUSE GAS REDUCTIONS FOR PICKUP TRUCK ELECTRIFICATION THAN FOR OTHER LIGHT-DUTY VEHICLES
– Light-duty vehicles, including sedans, SUVs and pickup trucks, are currently responsible for 58% of U.S. transportation sector greenhouse gas emissions. Pickup trucks accounted for 14% of light-duty vehicle sales in the United States in 2020, and the market share of both pickups and SUVs has grown in recent years.
– But what does pickup truck electrification mean for the decarbonization of the transportation industry?
– University of Michigan and Ford Motor Co. researchers addressed this question in a new study and evaluated the savings in greenhouse gas emissions relative to gasoline-powered pickup trucks.
– They found that for sedans, SUVs and pickup trucks, battery-electric vehicles have approximately 64% lower cradle-to-grave life cycle greenhouse gas emissions than internal-combustion-engine vehicles on average across the United States.
– Researchers, for instance, found that replacing an internal-combustion-engine vehicle with a battery-electric vehicle results in greater total tonnage of greenhouse gas emissions reductions as the vehicle size increases, due to the greater fuel consumption of larger vehicles.
– The researchers also found that battery-electric vehicles have larger greenhouse gas emissions in their manufacturing than internal-combustion-engine vehicles, due to battery production, but this impact is offset by savings in their operation. For battery-electric vehicles and internal-combustion-engine vehicles, the break-even time is 1.2 to 1.3 years for sedans, 1.4 to 1.6 years for SUVs and 1.3 years for pickup trucks, based on the average U.S. grid and vehicle miles traveled.
Original Source : https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/03/220304112018.htm
KIA CONFIRMS EV9 FLAGSHIP SUV COMING IN 2023
– The Kia EV9 is promised to offer a range of approximately 540 km (336 miles) on a single charge, but the battery capacity has not been disclosed. Despite its size, the EV9 will be quick with a target acceleration of 0-60 mph in 5.x seconds.
– Kia highlights also fast charging capability, saying that it will be possible to replenish 100 km (62 miles) of range in 6 minutes (at a high-power DC fast charger). For reference, the Kia Concept EV9 info said that it will recharge from 10% to 80% of state-of-charge in about 20-30 minutes.
– The EV9 will bring a few new features for the Kia brand, including OTA (Over the Air) software updates and FoD (Feature on Demand) services, as well as the new AutoMode autonomous driving technology.
– The Kia EV9 will be based on the Hyundai Motor Group’s Electric Global Modular Platform (E-GMP), already used in the Kia EV6 (and a few other models from the group).
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/571397/kia-ev9-flagship-suv-2023/
ALMOST 80% OF CANADIANS OPEN TO OWNING AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE
– Most Canadians (63%) would prefer to see electric cars become the majority of cars consumers drive. Fully 80% think it is likely that electric vehicles will reach that level of acceptance. Half of those surveyed think this will happen within the next 15 years.
– Personal interest in purchasing an electric vehicle remains robust with 58% indicating that they are certain, inclined or likely to make their next car electric. Majorities think electric vehicles are better for the environment and offer lower fueling costs, while combustion engines are cheaper to own or lease and more convenient for refueling. Opinion is divided on maintenance costs.
– Seventy two percent (72%) think Canada should take steps to attract manufacturers of electric vehicles here, which is up five points since November 2020. And three out of four people support the use of government subsidies to help encourage consumers to buy electric vehicles.
Original Source : https://abacusdata.ca/canadians-open-to-electric-vehicles
COLORADO LAUNCHES CLEAN TRUCK STRATEGY
– As electric cars become an increasingly common sight on Colorado’s roads, the state is ready to target a chunk of the transportation sector that has thus far largely escaped electrification — the thousands of buses, trucks and delivery vehicles that belch greenhouse gases into the air daily and exacerbate ground-level ozone.
– Colorado’s Clean Truck Strategy, a draft version of which was unveiled this week, targets medium and heavy-duty vehicles — from school buses to 18-wheel diesel-fueled tractor-trailer rigs — that the state claims contribute 22% of the transportation sector’s greenhouse gas emissions in the state.
– electric medium and heavy-duty vehicles are “in various stages of product availability,” with buses and delivery vans leading the way. Just last month, officials in Boulder revealed the first electric compost collection truck in the country, a Mack LR Electric operated by Eco-Cycle.
– last April, according to a story from the Colorado Sun, the first Amazon deliveries using new Rivian electric vans were made in Denver, one of 16 U.S. locations the online retailer planned to deploy electric vehicles on its routes
WHY CHINA’S ELECTRIC VEHICLES ARE ALL OVER EUROPE
– Supchina.com writes: “China’s electric vehicle fleet has recently put the rest of the world’s markets on notice. There are around 50 Chinese companies making cutting-edge cars and components, over a dozen of which are now selling cars in Europe. Aiways was founded in Shanghai in 2017, and began exporting its first model, the all-electric battery-powered U5, to Europe just a year later. In 2021, the newcomer sold more than a thousand units to 11 EU countries including the Netherlands, France, and Denmark. Europe is now a beachhead for Aiways and many other up-and-coming Chinese EV brands.”
– “In the next stage of Chinese growth, the electric vehicle is the trump card. Not long ago, Japan and South Korea made a similar journey West, vying in markets long synonymous with great powers and modernity. Under the E.U’s climate plan, 30 million electric cars must be sold by 2030. Last year, despite record sales, only 2.2 million EVs were sold. While traditional European marques like Renault, Volkswagen, and Fiat have promised a full-throated pivot to electric, they are held back by their internal combustion engine past.”
– According to Supchina.com: “China’s electric car armada can be sorted into three groups. They include pure-Chinese startups, such as Xpeng, Nio, and Aiways; legacy manufacturers such as Great Wall Motor, BYD, and SAIC; and formerly European brands acquired by Chinese companies, such as SAIC-backed MG, Daimler’s Smart, Volvo’s Polestar, and Lynk & Co, the last three of which are jointly owned by Hangzhou-based carmaker Zhejiang Geely.”
– “In their quest to become household names in the West, Chinese auto manufacturers face an uphill battle. In 2006, the automaker Jiangling Motors debuted its new Landwind New Vision at the Frankfurt Auto Show. But their hopes to become a global brand were dashed when a crash test by the German automobile club, ADAC, found that the car disintegrated upon impact.”
– “Last year, BYD’s flagship EV brand, the Tang EV, sold over a thousand units in Norway, four months after it came to market. BYD outsold Tesla in China last year and Nio and Xpeng ranks ahead of the Volkswagen ID.3 and ID.4, the third and fourth best-selling electric brands in Europe. Foreign car imports face a 10% tariff in Europe, but China is still price competitive”
ALIBABA-BACKED ELECTRIC VEHICLE CRUISES INTO A BOOMING MARKET
– The first smart electric car from IM Motors will go on sale on March 29, with the first deliveries slated for April
– IM Motors is an EV joint venture controlled by China’s largest state-owned carmaker SAIC Motor, and also owned by e-commerce giant Alibaba and the state-backed property operator
– The IM L7 is a luxury electric sedan
- Original Source : https://www.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/article/3169267/alibaba-backed-electric-vehicle-cruises-booming-market-crowded-tesla
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best looking EV on the market right now?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT