Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Saturday 5th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER DAVID LARDER. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
ELECTRIC VW TRINITY TO BE BUILT AT A NEW $2.2-BILLION FACTORY
– Volkswagen has announced it has passed a resolution that gives a go-ahead to build a new plant that will build the upcoming all-electric model, the Trinity. The up-and-coming flagship model was first announced in 2021, which will spearhead the next generation of zero-emission VW cars.
– The new factory will be built near VW’s main plant in Wolfsburg.
– VW said investment totals to around €2 billion or around $2.2 billion with the current exchange rates.
– Construction for the new Wolfburg plant for the Trinity is set to begin as early as spring 2023.
VW TO BUILD TRINITY PLANT IN WOLFSBURG
– As Manager Magazin now correctly asserts, the “Trinity story is also the story of a power struggle”. According to the report, VW Group CEO Herbert Diess even wanted to get out of Lower Saxony altogether to produce the flagship Trinity project, or at least “outside the brick walls” of the existing Wolfsburg main plant. With his taunts, Diess not only angered the works council but also started a power struggle within the Board. In the end, Diess will now get his plant outside the current plant boundaries, but VW brand chief Ralf Brandstätter, who will soon move to Beijing, is considered the architect behind this solution
– Throughout the 2030s, the main plant could then be converted entirely – and Wolfsburg could build up to 750,000 electric cars per year.
VW PICKS WOLFSBURG FOR $2.2B EV PLANT TO KEEP UP WITH TESLA
– The Trinity sedan will be about the size of the midsize Passat. The car will be aimed at the mass market and targets a range of over 700 km (435 miles).
It will be technically ready for Level 4 autonomous driving and will debut VW Group’s SSP electric “super platform” that will replace combustion-engine and full-electric platforms used by brands including VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi and Porsche.
– VW aims for a production time of 10 hours per vehicle for the Trinity model, similar to how long it will take Tesla to build cars at its new factory in Gruenheide near Berlin.
TESLA BERLIN GAINS NEXT STAGE OF APPROVAL – PRODUCTION COULD START THIS MONTY
Tesla has gained approval to begin commercial production at its new factory near Berlin, local German officials announced Friday.
– The conditional license for the vehicle and battery plants in Brandenburg was expected following months of delays.
– The project, which was approved with a 536-page decision, includes the plant for the production of up to 500,000 vehicles per year
– The license is subject to a public objection period as well as other final inspection conditions that include air pollution control and water usage, according to the release.
– While approval for the plant took longer than Tesla expected, local officials called the process “unusual in a number of ways.” That included the “comparatively short time” the State Office for the Environment “inspected and approved not just a factory, but an entire industrial area with several large-scale plants and repeated public participation,” officials said.
Officials said Tesla can start production on the condition that it meets certain requirements with respect to the environmental impact of the plant, including air pollution and water usage. It still needs to obtain an operating licence before production can officially begin, which should take roughly two weeks, a spokesperson for the local government told Insider.
– Officials said they expect the plant to begin producing cars this month. Over time, Tesla intends to scale production to 500,000 vehicles per year and employ 12,000 workers at the plant. In 2021, Tesla produced just over 900,000 vehicles between its two facilities in Fremont, California and Shanghai, China.
Tesla Factory in Brandenburg: From Zero to Full Throttle and Back to Zero in 843 Days
– on Friday, March 4th, 2022, the authorities in Brandenburg finally approved the project by sending a permit to Tesla. The document reportedly has 536 pages and contains a long list of requirements the company has to fulfill. Once it does, the final operating license will be issued. Of course, this was good news. Tesla announced they would get it done within two weeks. This would have meant they could have started producing those ‘Berlin Model Ys’ at the end of this month. Some 2,000 vehicles were already made during test runs.
– late on Friday night, The Administrative Court in Frankfurt (Oder), Germany’s smaller Frankfurt located at the Polish border, found a procedural error which has implications. When Brandenburg’s Environment Agency issued a permit for the delivery of millions of tons of additional water for the factory, it forgot to involve the public which had the right to comment on the decision. This process will have to be made up for. Obviously, both the inhabitants in the area and Tesla need water. The factory will use 1.4 million cubic meters (50 million cubic feet) of it per year.
– For now, Brandenburg has the option to suspend the implementation of the court decision until the matter is resolved. That way, a long delay could be prevented, at least in part.
UK: TWO TESLAS IN TOP 5 AS PLUG-IN CAR SALES DOUBLED IN FEBRUARY 2022
– According to the official data, passenger plug-in electric car registrations more than doubled last month to 15,094 (up 127% year-over-year). That’s 25.6% of the total market.
– BEVs: 10,417 (up 196% year-over-year) at market share of 17.7% PHEVs: 4,677 (up 49% year-over-year) at market share of 7.9% Total: 15,094 (up 127% year-over-year) at market share of 25.6%
– The Tesla Model Y noted 1,306 units and became the 4th most popular model right after deliveries started, while the Tesla Model 3 was fifth with 1,275 units.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/571448/uk-plugin-car-sales-february2022/
VOLVO ANNOUNCES DESIGN UPDATES FOR XC40 RECHARGE AND SINGLE-MOTOR C40
– Volvo announced a round of updates to the electric members of its portfolio. It gave the XC40 Recharge a subtle mid-cycle update that brings a new-look front end, among other changes, and it unveiled an entry-level version of the C40 Recharge with one electric motor.
– the lower part of the front bumper is more chiseled, the Thor’s Hammer accents in the headlights are more, well, hammer-like, and the body-colored insert that replaces the gasoline-burning model’s grille loses its frame. These changes bring the battery-powered crossover in line with the C40 Recharge
– XC40 Recharge models also gain pixel LED lighting technology. This system relies on individually-controlled LED elements to illuminate the road ahead without blinding other motorists
– Moving on to the C40 Recharge, a front-wheel-drive version with a single electric motor is now available in some markets as a cheaper alternative to the dual-motor all-wheel-drive model. It’s fitted with a 69-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack, and it offers a maximum driving range of about 270 miles
– the existing dual-motor C40 Recharge is equipped with a 78-kilowatt-hour battery and its powertrain is rated at 402 horsepower
NIO ET7 TEST DRIVES OFFICIALLY BEGIN, FIRST DELIVERIES EXPECTED ON MARCH 28
– NIO today officially started allowing customers to test-drive its flagship sedan ET7 as planned, and its first deliveries will start at the end of this month.
– the first ET7 for the test drive was ready at the NIO House at the NIO-JAC manufacturing base in Hefei, Anhui province, and those who reserved the car in the city were able to test drive it before anyone else.
THE NIO ET7 HAS 621 MILES OF RANGE AND ALL THE BATTERY
– the top-of-the-line model has a ginormous 150kWh battery pack and, says the company, a range of over 621 miles (or a nice, round 1,000km).
– The ET7 is also available in 70kWh and 100kWh versions with 310 and 435 miles
– It’s home to some of the 33 “high performance sensing units” built-in to the ET7 that together generate eight gigabytes of data per second. Nio says the ET7’s “full stack autonomous driving technology” gives a “safe and effortless point-to-point autonomous driving experience that gradually covers urban, expressway, parking, and battery swapping scenarios”. Some 19 of the ET7’s driver assistance systems come as standard, but you have to pay a £78 monthly subscription to access the cleverest stuff.
– The ET7 is brisk enough, with twin e-motors producing a combined 644bhp and 627lb ft of torque. 0-62mph takes 3.9 seconds. And it ought to be comfortable too, with standard air suspension that scans the road ahead to look for bumps. The interior is typically minimalist, with a 12.8-inch AMOLED display running the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon platform and 5G. The company’s voice-activated assistant, Nomi, is back too, and a 1,000 watt 23-speaker hi-fi is standard on all models.
PEUGEOT E-208 AND E-2008 CHOSEN AS THE FIRST EVS TO JOIN THE AA DRIVING SCHOOL’S FLEET
– The AA Driving School has chosen the award-winning PEUGEOT e-208 and e-2008 to launch its fleet of fully electric vehicles for driving instructors
– Both the PEUGEOT e-208 and e-2008 are powered by a 50kWh battery, offering ranges of 225 and 214 miles respectively (WLTP) – more than enough to cover an AA driving instructor’s typical 120-mile average day. A choice of charging options, including 100kW rapid charging for an 80% charge in just 30 minutes, ensures instructors have plenty of flexibility whether charging at home or from public charge points. During lessons, learners can also learn how to charge and live with an electric vehicle.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best looking EV on the market right now?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT