Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Friday 4th March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER LEO POTSIADLO. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
PANASONIC PLANNING ELECTRIC VEHICLE BATTERY PLANT IN U.S.
– Japan’s Panasonic Corp. is looking to purchase land in the United States for a massive factory to make a new type of electric vehicle battery for Tesla, public broadcaster NHK reported on Friday.
– Panasonic is looking at building the several billion dollar factory in either Oklahoma or Kansas for their proximity to Texas, where Tesla is preparing a new EV plant, NHK reported. NHK gave no timeline for Panasonic’s U.S. project.
– A long-time Tesla supplier, Panasonic has already announced plans to begin mass-producing the new type of lithium-ion battery for Tesla before the end of March, 2024 with two new production lines at its western Japanese plant in Wakayama.
KIA AIMS TO SELL 1.2 MILLION EVS IN 2030
– Following in Hyundai’s footsteps, Kia has now also presented its strategic roadmap for accelerating its electrification ambitions by 2030. To achieve the sales target, at least two new electric models are to be introduced each year.
– Kia assumes – based on 160,000 BEV sales this year – that it will already sell 807,000 BEVs in 2026 and then 1.2 million battery-electric cars in 2030.
– With the 1.87 million electric cars Hyundai is targeting, according to its strategy update unveiled the day before, Hyundai-Kia would have sales of more than three million electric cars in 2030.
– While Hyundai has announced further development of its current EV platform E-GMP for 2025, Kia does not mention this Integrated Modular Architecture (IMA). Hyundai plans to rely not only on standardized e-motors and chassis designs, but also on batteries with cell-to-pack technology from CATL, which does not require modules. In its announcement, Kia refers to everything from the upcoming EV9 – the large E-SUV is still based on the current E-GMP.
– Kia announces production of “small and mid-sized electric vehicles” in Europe starting in 2025 – this will likely be located at the Zilina plant in Slovakia
KIA AUTOMODE TO LAUNCH IN 2023, COMING TO EV9 SUV FIRST
– Korean car manufacturer Kia is to launch an autonomous driving mode for select vehicles from 2023 on.
– AutoMode uses a range of proprietary autonomous driving technologies, which include Highway Driving Pilot to enable driver-less travel on motorways and highways.It will feature first in next year’s Kia EV9 SUV and, by 2026, will be available in all new models launched in major markets.
– AutoMode will receive regular over-the-air updates as new features are developed. Kia will also enhance and improve the system with the goal of eventually offering fully autonomous technology.
HYUNDAI BRANDS TO USE NEW EV PLATFORM WITH STANDARDIZED BATTERIES AND MOTORS
– Hyundai Motor Group has just launched its first models based on a dedicated electric-vehicle platform known as the E-GMP (Electric Global Modular Platform), but the Korean auto giant has already announced a next-generation platform that will further standardize key parts across vehicles from the Hyundai, Kia and Genesis brands.
– The new platform is known as the IMA (Integrated Modular Architecture), and it’s an evolution of the E-GMP design. But unlike the E-GMP, which has different battery systems for each vehicle it supports, the IMA will have a standardized battery. The motors (of which there will be five types) and key chassis components will also be standardized, all helping to improve production efficiencies.
– the platform will suit all segments and will be used for both passenger vehicles and purpose-built vehicles, such as delivery vehicles and shuttles for self-driving taxi services.
– From 2025, Genesis will only launch EVs.
– the redesigned Genesis G90 will offer a self-driving capability at Level 3 on the SAE scale in some markets by the second half of 2022
MERCEDES EQS SUV SPIED UP CLOSE TESTING IN CALIFORNIA
– The EQS is currently the most technologically advanced EV from the Stuttgart-based firm and it will soon morph into a high-riding EQS SUV. We’ve seen it testing on a number of occasions and a new video shows us a prototype on a parking lot in South California.
– This new sighting of the model doesn’t give us a look under the camouflage, though we get a very quick look inside the cabin. For now, everything remains heavily camouflaged
– The EQS will join the already existing EQA, EQB, and EQC, all built on modified platforms for combustion cars. The range-topping EV SUV will be assembled in the United States at the Tuscaloosa plant from 2022 along with the smaller EQE SUV.
– The only piece of confirmed information available so far is that Mercedes estimates the range between charges will be up to 373 miles (600 kilometers), depending on the configuration.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/571115/mercedes-eqs-spy-video-closeup/
PHILLY AUTO SHOW RETURNS THIS WEEKEND WITH EYES ON ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– The Philadelphia Auto Show returns this weekend and prospective car buyers have never had so many options to choose from, but inflated gas prices worsened by the war in Ukraine seem to have pushed electric and hybrid vehicles to the forefront.
– The auto show, which runs from Mar. 5 to Mar. 13, will span more than a half-million square feet of the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Organizers say one of the big-ticket items that car enthusiasts will come to check out is the Fully-electric Ford F-150 Lightning.
– The newest attraction this year is the e-Track, the show’s first-ever multi-brand electric vehicle test track.
VOLKSWAGEN REALIGNS TECHNICAL DEVELOPMENT: SHORTER PRODUCT CYCLES
– In its drive to become a technology company, Volkswagen is realigning its Technical Development (TD) division in Wolfsburg. This involves turning the Group’s largest engineering unit with 11,500 employees into a pace-setter for the Volkswagen brand’s transformation into a technology company.
– The main emphasis is on a complete redesign of the development process, making it interdisciplinary, focused squarely on software, customer requirements and SSP, Volkswagen’s electric platform of the future, and centered on functions rather than individual components.
– This is expected to cut development time by about a quarter, increase the speed of new software releases and also significantly accelerate manufacturing processes in production.
– In the 1990s, vehicle development centered primarily on components. As functions and electronics were added in the early 2000s, connectivity began to play an increasingly important role. Now and in the future, the vehicle must be viewed as one system in the customer’s entire ecosystem and communicate seamlessly with all systems outside the vehicle.
– vehicle projects will be completed in 40 months instead of 54 months as before
AUDI REVEALS UPDATED Q4 E-TRON EV WITH FASTER CHARGING AND UPDATED INTERIOR
– Audi has announced a range of updates for its electric Q4 e-tron model that make it more appealing.
– One of the most important changes is faster charging, though this only applies to the larger battery sizes with a 76.6kWh capacity, which now charge at up to 135kW. These are the 40- and 50-badged models in both SUV and Sportback sizes.
– This is particularly noticeable on the 40 models, with the optimal five to 80 per cent charge time dropping from 38 to 29 minutes
– The improvements have come from optimisation of the battery’s thermal management and control systems
– Inside, there’s a new 11.6-inch infotainment display, which Audi says is the largest ever fitted to one of its cars. It’s fitted as standard across the line-up.
– The route planner also plans charging stops based on the current traffic situation and the driver’s personal consumption profile. Drivers can also set a charging target percentage and will be notified through a push notification once that has been reached.
Original Source : https://www.aol.co.uk/motoring/audi-reveals-updated-q4-e-132743050.html
2022 FIAT E-ULYSSE DEBUTS AS AN ELECTRIC MINIVAN FOR EUROPE
– Fiat wants to move people in Europe with no tailpipe emissions with its new E-Ulysse EV that will be available in 28 different 7- and 8-seater configurations. It can be equipped with either a 50 kWh or 75 kWh battery pack, the latter delivering a claimed 205 miles (330 km) WLTP.
– There’s also a cargo version of this vehicle, the E-Scudo, and both are basically the same vehicle as the Peugeot e-Expert, the Citroen e-Jumpy or the Opel Zafira-E.
– Fiat calls the 7-seater version a ‘living room’ and the 8-seater a ‘shuttle’ and points to the endless configurability of having individual seats that can be independently moved on three rows of rails.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/571006/fiat-e-ulysse-electric-mpv/
GLOBAL BATTERY DEMAND TO INCREASE 15-FOLD AS EV BOOM TAKES OFF
– Rystad Energy research shows that although global battery demand in 2021 stood at 580 gigawatt-hours (GWh), more than double 2020’s total, global supply was still able to keep up. However, that is set to change in the coming years as the appetite for battery technologies in passenger vehicles and stationary storage grows significantly, straining the supply chain.
– Passenger electric vehicles (EV) will be the most significant contributor to future battery growth, accounting for about 55% of total demand by the end of the decade. Demand for these batteries is expected to hit 4.9 TWh by 2030, more than 13 times higher than 2021’s comparatively tiny total of 373 GWh.
– Stationary storage will be the next-most significant contributor
– Light to medium-heavy commercial vehicles will mainly be electrified in the future, contributing about 1 TWh of demand by 2030
– North America saw 10 major plant announcements in 2021, seven of which are part of joint ventures between cell makers and automakers. Joint ventures comprised about 77% of the newly announced projects in the region last year. In Europe, battery supply expansion seems motivated by reducing Asian dependence to support automakers’ plans.
TESLA FEARS HAVING TO SHUT DOWN SERVICE CENTERS IN OKLAHOMA AS NEW BILL PASSES COMMITTEE
– Tesla fears having to shut down its stores and service centers in Oklahoma as a new bill banning direct sales and service from automaker has passed a House committee unanimously, and it’s heading to a vote.
– In Oklahoma, there’s a new effort that Tesla fears will prevent them from operating its current business in the state. Last month, we reported on the automaker reaching out to its fans to try countering a new bill being considered in the state’s House Business and Commerce Committee.
– Now, the bill has officially passed the House Business and Commerce Committee, and surprisingly, it did it unanimously. – It is headed to the house for a possible vote by the end of the month. The sponsor of the bill, representative Mike Dobrinski, has been in the car dealership business for decades along with his family
– If the bill does go through the legislation, Tesla could have to shut down its locations in the state
TESLA ROADSTER MAKES HISTORY WITH $250K SALE
– A Tesla Roadster sold for $250,000 recently, marking the highest amount ever paid for the first model from Tesla
– The vehicle was sold by Gruber Motor Company. The previous record was $190,000.
The 2008 Tesla Roadster had very low mileage — 840 miles — which made the vehicle stand out. The vehicle also has a low VIN number: VIN013.
– Previous estimates for Tesla Roadsters topped $1 million in 2020 but none sold for that amount.
– In 2021, Tesla Roadsters were selling at auction in the $120,000 to $182,000 range.
THE ARC ONE IS AN ELECTRIC BOAT WITH A BATTERY PACK THREE TIMES THE SIZE OF TESLA’S
– Electric boat startup Arc revealed new images and a video of the pre-production version of the Arc One, a 24-foot-long vessel with a massive battery pack and an elegant design.
– The company has already tested an early prototype, and the reveal of its pre-production version is meant to send the signal that the company is getting closer to customer deliveries, which are on schedule for this summer.
– he boat will still have a top speed of around 40 miles per hour and can last about four hours under power before needing to be recharged — which the startup claims is plenty for a day out on the water.
But instead of a 200kWh battery pack capable of powering an electric motor with at least 475 horsepower, the boat will come with a 220kWh pack capable of powering a motor with over 500 horsepower.
– Unlike with cars, a heavy battery pack is not a drawback for an electric boat
– the Arc One will be a limited edition luxury cruise that will retail for $300,000. The company is hoping to follow in Tesla’s footsteps by selling a high-priced, low-volume boat from which it will use the revenues to fund the production of a lower-cost model.
BYD SELLS 88,283 NEVS IN FEB, UP 752.6% YEAR-ON-YEAR
– BYD sold 88,283 new energy vehicles (NEVs) in February, up 752.6 percent year-on-year. That includes 87,473 passenger cars, and 810 commercial vehicles. BYD sold 43,173 pure electric vehicles in February, up 451 percent from 7,835 units a year earlier
– The company’s total installed capacity of NEV power and energy storage batteries in February was 4.615 GWh
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best looking EV on the market right now?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT