Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Thursday 3rd March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER GREG KACVINSKY. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
RIVIAN BACKTRACKS ON PRICE INCREASES FOR EXISTING RESERVATIONS
– The strong reactions from Rivian reservation holders, especially early supporters, to the price hikes recently announced by the EV startup may be the reason why the company has just announced it has backtracked on price adjustments for existing reservations.
– Rivian reassures customers that existing reservations made prior to the March 1 announcement will be honored at the original price. Furthermore, those who canceled their preorders on or after March 1 have the option to restore their original configuration.
– “For anyone with a Rivian preorder as of the March 1 pricing announcement, your original configured price will be honored. If you canceled your preorder on or after March 1 and would like to reinstate it, we will restore your original configuration, pricing and delivery timing. Our team will be sending an email in the next few days with more details.”
– “As we worked to update pricing to reflect these cost increases, we wrongly decided to make these changes apply to all future deliveries, including pre-existing configured preorders. We failed to appreciate how you viewed your configuration as price locked, and we wrongly assumed the announced Dual-Motor and Standard battery pack would provide configurations that would deliver price points similar to your original configuration. While this was the logic, it was wrong and we broke your trust in Rivian.”
RIVIAN BUYERS ARE CANCELING AT ALARMING RATES AFTER PRICE INCREASES
– A poll shows that Rivian buyers are canceling their reservations at an alarming rate after significant price increases for the R1T electric pickup truck and R1S electric SUV.
– Rivian announced significant price increases across its lineup that are resulting in some configurations going up by more than $12,000, and some by as much as $20,000 – these price increases also apply to people who had reservations for years, and they are not happy.
– Forums and social media are full of Rivian reservation holders who are saying that they are canceling their orders because they are either don’t want to pay the increase, or because they feel cheated by the company.
– Out of over 3,000 respondents, the majority is canceling their orders with still a significant part of reservation holders being undecided. At the end of last year, Rivian disclosed having over 70,000 reservations for the R1T and R1S.
– I am pretty sure that I’m going myself to cancel my reservation of four years. While I agree that it is a frustrating situation for reservation holders, it is likely the only way for Rivian to survive.
- Original Source : https://electrek.co/2022/03/02/rivian-buyers-canceling-alarming-rate-after-price-increases/
FULLY LOADED RIVIAN R1S SUV SHOWS $106,515 PRICE ON CONFIGURATOR
– Many reservation holders took to social media to complain about the cost of their orders jumping significantly—yes, the price increases apply to all existing orders. The only way to avoid them is to accept a downgrade from the 800+ hp four-motor powertrain and Large battery to the 600+ hp dual-motor setup with the new Standard battery pack expected to exceed 260 miles of range. There’s a problem, though: these variants are not going to be delivered before 2024.
– Starting with the exterior, we chose the Adventure Package starting at $78,000, the iconic Rivian Blue paint (a $2,500 option), and the 22-inch Sport Dark rims ($3,500). As for the interior, we chose the optional Ocean Coast interior theme, which costs $2,000.
– We then selected the Quad-Motor AWD drive system, which is now a $6,000 option, and the Large battery pack, also priced at $6,000.
– The estimated cost of this fiscally irresponsible experiment amounted to $106,515—or $1,639 a month for a 72-month lease contract.
– Interestingly, that’s pretty much the same price as the 2024 GMC Hummer EV SUV Edition 1, which starts at $105,595.
RIVIAN LAUNCHES 600-HP DUAL-MOTOR R1S AND R1T, RAISES QUAD-MOTOR PRICING
– Rivian’s fully electric R1S SUV and R1T pickup truck have always seemed like kind of a bargain. For $68,575 the R1T has 835 horsepower from a quad-motor setup, which provides mega capabilities both on- and off-road that best pretty much any other light-duty truck on the market, even ones that are much pricier. Today Rivian announced new entry-level dual-motor versions of both the R1S and R1T, which come alongside a serious price hike for the existing quad-motor models.
– the dual-motor variants use new motors designed and built in-house by Rivian. The company says the new motors are among the most power-dense single-drive units on the market and they have fewer moving parts than the Bosch motors, making them lighter cheaper to build. The dual-motor trucks will make more than 600 hp and 600 pound-feet of torque and hit 60 mph in as little as 4 seconds, just 1 second off the quad-motor models.
– Rivian says the Standard pack will give the dual-motor R1T a range of over 260 miles; with the Large pack the dual-motor models will do over 320 miles. For reference, the quad-motor R1T with the Large pack is rated by the EPA at 314 miles of range while the R1S will do 316 miles. The R1T-only Max pack, which is coming in 2023 for the quad-motor model and 2024 for the dual-motor, will offer over 400 miles for both motor setups.
POLESTAR’S O2 CONCEPT PREVIEWS AN OPEN-TOPPED FUTURE
– The goal is for this to be a driver-first car, a major focus in developing the bonded aluminum space frame first designed for the 5 and now adapted to the O2. Small roll angles, high roll damping, and direct steering feel would add to that experience, all potentially paired with a two-motor system announced for the 5 that produces an all-wheel output of 872 horsepower. That straight line feel isn’t the focus, though.
– Polestar’s last concept car was announced only as a preview of its new styling language ahead of the release of the still-unrevealed 3 and 4 SUVs. It became a product in its own right, even though that decision required a major investment on Polestar’s part. Now that the 5 is already in development, the O2 could theoretically build on most of the same developments fairly easily. For now, though, this is just a concept of what a Polestar halo car can be.
WATCH AN AUTONOMOUS DRONE LAUNCH FROM POLESTAR’S ELECTRIC CONCEPT CONVERTIBLE
– The Polestar O2 is the flashiest EV yet from Volvo’s spinoff brand. With an interior made from recycled polyester and a frame from recycled aluminum, the two-door EV is a hardtop convertible. It’s also very much a concept car that likely won’t ever be produced as envisioned.
– It has a similar look to Polestar’s first concept car, the Precept, but this idea is sleeker and undeniably sexier as a sports car.
– Adding to the Swedish car’s intrigue is an autonomous drone that launches from the back of the car. The quadcopter ejects from behind the back seats and captures footage of the car going up to 56 mph. Once parked you can view and even edit the footage on the car’s 15-inch front touchscreen.
Original Source : https://mashable.com/video/polestar-02-concept-electric-convertible
POLESTAR O2 CONVERTIBLE CONCEPT HINTS AT RANGE EXPANSION | AUTO EXPRESS
– Ingenlath told us that the O2’s dramatic styling – which includes a deeply scalloped bonnet and pronounced, squared-off haunches over the rear wheels, is “realistic”. “Our concept cars have the spirit of being tangible,” he said. “From a packaging perspective, and how it is constructed, it is possible to put a car like the O2 into production.
– “On the other hand, we have not put it into our business plan. We already have three cars for 2022, 23 and 24 in the books, and we are fully occupied with making those real. What is beyond 2025, the future will tell. We are putting out a dream here, with the O2, and we would be irresponsible if we would not make every effort possible to actually live our dreams and make them real.”
POLESTAR’S SECOND CONCEPT CAR IS A CONVERTIBLE WITH AN INTEGRATED DRONE
– Now, you might be wondering how a convertible EV would even work given that traditional convertibles are rather inefficient — their frames are thicker and heavier to offset the structural strength lost by cutting off the roof and their aerodynamics are a mess because, again, no roof — and that is an excellent question.
– The company doesn’t yet have drag coefficient data to share, but it did assert that “disguised design features like integrated ducts that improve laminar air flow over the wheels and body sides, and rear lights that function as air blades to reduce turbulence behind the car,” are being investigated to maximize the vehicle’s range.
– The exterior is a study of sharp lines with a low-slung cabin seated between angular fender flares and an acutely angled glass-top roof that retracts back into a broad trunk.
HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 N SPOTTED HIDING UNDER CHECKERED CAMO
– it looks like this prototype has bigger brakes, and a bigger width difference between the front and rear tires – all Ioniq 5s and Kia EV6s have staggered wheels, but it looks like for the N, the rear wheels will be even wider.
– The wheels are also bigger in diameter and shod in what look like sporty, low-profile tires and the ride height is also lower. It also looks like the rear wheels get extra plastic flares that no other current version of the model gets – their presence there further strengthens our belief that the Ioniq 5 N will have considerably wider rear tires.
– Regarding its performance, all we have to go on right now are the numbers announced for the EV6 GT, which makes 576 horsepower, although the platform does allow for up to 600 horsepower, so we’ll have to wait and see if the Hyundai is any more powerful than the Kia.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/570935/hyundai-ioniq5-hot-version-spyshots/
BRITAINS FIRST ZERO EMISSION ZONE BEGINS IN OXFORD
– Britain’s first Zero Emission Zone (ZEZ) has begun this week in Oxford. The ZEZ pilot will allow Oxfordshire County Council and Oxford City Council to gain useful insights before introducing a larger ZEZ covering most of Oxford city centre next year (2023), subject to further public consultation.
– The ZEZ pilot will operate from 7am – 7pm, all year around. All petrol and diesel vehicles, including hybrids, will incur a daily charge unless eligible for a discount or exemption. However, zero emission vehicles, such as electric cars, can enter the pilot area free of charge.
– The charge will vary from £2 to £10 per day depending on the emission levels of the vehicle. Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras have been installed to enforce the zone.
BMW RULES OUT SWAPPABLE BATTERIES FOR NEUE KLASSE EVS
– While Nio believes these stations have a place in the automotive realm, BMW begs to differ. In an interview with Automotive News’ German sister site Automobilwoche, a company representative said it’s not feasible: “From our point of view, setting up a charging and logistics infrastructure for battery swap stations is not expedient.”
– The Neue Klasse EV lineup coming in 2025 will eventually underpin everything from the 1 Series to the X7 to spread out costs and speed up development. Some would argue battery swaps would provide extra flexibility as far as replenishing energy, but BMW sees things differently. It’s prioritizing research into the batteries themselves, both lithium-ion packs as well as the hugely promising solid-state batteries.
– Neue Klasse will support solid-state batteries, expected to eliminate range anxiety and cut charging times. Meanwhile, the dedicated EV platform is believed to support charging at 350 kW, which is already available on rival models. For the sake of comparison, the iX can be charged at only 195 kW while the i4 has a peak power of 200 kW.
Original Source : https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/03/02/bmw-swappable-batteries-ruled-out
WILL HIGH GAS PRICES SUPERCHARGE ELECTRIC VEHICLE SALES?
– As trading ended Wednesday, the price of benchmarks like West Texas Intermediate crude were up as much as $9 a barrel, to more than $110. And at the pump, regular self-serve was going for $3.656 a gallon on average, up nearly 4 cents for the day and 26 cents over the previous month.
– Electric vehicle sales have been rising for several years, and the pace is picking up as gas prices climb.
– AutoPacific was forecasting that demand for electric vehicles would grow to 700,000 for all of 2022, a considerable jump over last year, when Americans bought 491,000 all-electric vehicles.
– But “I would be surprised if EV demand didn’t go up because of rising fuel prices and all the uncertainty the Ukraine invasion entails,” AutoPacific President Ed Kim said.
– One thing analysts expect to boost demand is the array of new models flooding the U.S. market in 2022. Not only will the number of long-range EVs more than triple — to nearly 60 — but they’ll be available in more market segments, from compact SUVs to full-size pickups.
ELON MUSK CHALLENGES UAW UNION TO HOLD VOTE AT CALIFORNIA TESLA PLANT | ELON MUSK
– Tesla’s chief executive, Elon Musk, says he is inviting the United Auto Workers labor union (UAW) to hold a vote at the electric carmaker’s California factory.
– The announcement comes three months after the billionaire Musk criticized the Biden administration and Democrats for a proposal to give union-made, US-built electric vehicles an additional $4,500 tax incentive.
– Organizing a Tesla plant would represent a major victory for the UAW, which has largely failed to win the backing of workers at foreign-owned automakers’ or electric vehicle startups’ assembly plants, many of which are in the US south.
– UAW did not have an immediate comment about Musk’s tweet, but analysts said his actions over the past year do not match the rhetoric.
HERE’S WHEN 2023 CHEVY BOLT EV, BOLT EUV PRODUCTION STARTS
– General Motors unveiled the refreshed 2022 Chevy Bolt EV and all-new 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV in a joint debut in February of 2021. Now, GM Authority has learned when the following model years, including the 2023 Chevy Bolt EV and 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV, will begin production.
– 023 Chevy Bolt EV and 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV are slated to begin production on May 9th. Production of the electric hatchbacks takes place exclusively at the GM Lake Orion Assembly plant in Michigan.What’s more, order books for the two all-electric vehicles will open on March 10th.
– An internal investigation by battery supplier LG Energy Solution revealed that the fires had occurred as a result of two individual manufacturing defects in the batteries themselves, specifically a torn anode tab and also a folded separator.
VOLVO TESTS WIRELESS VEHICLE CHARGING TECHNOLOGY
– Volvo is testing a new system for recharging electric cars wirelessly to assess the technology’s viability for future models.
– Tests involve a fleet of Volvo XC40 Recharge cars with wireless charging capability, which are being used as taxis in Gothenburg, Sweden. Volvo told Autocar that six cars are involved in the trial, with plans to expand over a period of three years.
– Volvo claims the charging speed is more than 40kW, which is almost as fast as a wired 50kW fast charger and four times faster than a wired 11kW AC charger. The firm says this is enough for 60 miles of range in 30 minutes.
– Charging pads are supplied by US-based Momentum Dynamics, a specialist in wireless vehicle charging. The company has already produced a system capable of charging a bus and previously used a fleet of 25 adapted Jaguar I-Pace models to test the technology in Oslo, Norway.
CHINA ADDS 180,000 NEV-RELATED FIRMS IN 2021
– China has added 180,000 new energy vehicle (NEV)-related companies in 2021, bringing the total to 452,000, according to information released yesterday
– NEV-related companies are those that include the keyword NEV in their company name, products and scope of business, the data provider said.
– The significant increase in the number of such companies is mainly in the past three years, with 52,000 in 2019 and 85,000 in 2020, according to the data.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/d5gcjHcrji/
- Original Source : https://cnevpost.com/2022/03/03/china-adds-180000-nev-related-firms-in-2021/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best looking EV on the market right now?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT