Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Wednesday 2nd March, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER GREG KACVINSKY. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
HYUNDAI MOTOR PLANS 17 EVS, $16B INVESTMENT BY 2030
– Hyundai Motor Co said on Wednesday it planned to invest about 95.5 trillion won ($79.21 billion) through 2030, including about 19.4 trillion won ($16.10 billion) towards electric vehicle (EV) related businesses. It also said it plans to introduce 17 EVs in that timeframe, six from Genesis and 11 from the Hyundai brand.
– three of those EVs would be sedans, along with six SUVs, a light commercial vehicle and one new type of model. It will begin sales of the Ioniq 6 later this year, followed by the Ioniq 7 in 2024.
– 7% market share in the global EV market by 2030, with an annual sales target of 1.87 million vehicles
– “Hyundai is allocating about 20% of its 95.5 trillion won investment to EV related businesses, which includes building new plants, EV charging stations and strategic alliances with battery manufacturers and the investment amount for EV does not seem too surprising or aggressive,” said Eugene Investment & Securities analyst Lee Jae-il.
RUSSIAN MOTORWAY’S ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGERS ARE HACKED TO DISPLAY MESSAGE SUPPORTING UKRAINE
– Russian electric vehicle charging points have been hacked today to display messages supporting Ukraine, including ‘Putin is a di**head’.
– As a result of the hack, the stations – found along Russia’s M-11 motorway that runs between its capital Moscow and cultural centre Saint Petersburg – were deactivated.
– According to a Facebook Post by Russian energy company Rosseti, the charging points were hacked by the Ukrainian company that provided some of the parts for them, and left a backdoor in their systems.
– These included ‘GLORY TO UKRAINE, ‘GLORY TO THE HEROES’, ‘PUTIN IS A DI**HEAD’ and ‘DEATH TO THE ENEMY’.
– The Facebook post said the charging points were purchased through a Russian company which outsourced the production of some of their parts to the Ukrainian electric vehicle charging company, based in Kharkiv.
– The company added that it was working to isolate the hack, and said that the charging points would be re-activated soon.
6,160 BEVS WERE SOLD IN NORWAY IN FEBRUARY
– In Norway, 6,160 electric passenger cars were newly registered in February, which corresponds to a share of 75.6 per cent of all passenger car registrations in the month. The most successful model in February in Norway was the Hyundai Ioniq 5 with 454 new registrations.
– In addition, there were 852 new plug-in hybrids, which alone account for a market share of 10.5 per cent. If BEVs and PHEVs are added together, 86.1 per cent of all new registrations in Norway in February had a charging connection.
– In terms of models, as mentioned, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 was in the lead – with 454 new registrations according to OFV statistics or 455 according to data from the portal EU-EVs. The expensive BMW iX follows in second place with 425 new registrations.
– Third place is a close-run thing, or rather it depends on how you look at it. In the OFV statistics, the Audi Q4 e-tron and its Sportback offshoot are counted as one model, with 388 new registrations. That would be only one vehicle more than the Polestar 2, which is in the statistics with 387 registrations.
FORD TO CREATE EV COMPANY WITHIN AUTOMAKER, CEO FARLEY SAYS
– Each division will have its own leadership, with the traditional vehicle skill team led by Kumar Galhotra, who has been Ford president of the Americas and International Markets Group. The newly created all-electric vehicle (EV) skill team will be led by Farley
– Farley will serve as president of Ford Model e, in addition to his role as CEO and president of Ford. Doug Field, Ford chief advanced technology and embedded systems officer with extensive experience at Apple and Tesla, will lead product creation as chief EV and digital systems officer for Ford Model e and also lead development of software and embedded systems for all of Ford.
– To illustrate the company’s strength, Ford will also begin tracking profit and loss (P&L) financial statements separately for Ford Pro, Ford Blue and Ford Model e. The statements will summarize the revenue and expenses for each entity.
– “We’re committing to the dealer model,” Farley said, which is not how Tesla operates.
– “We’re not keeping dealers in the mix ‘for the moment.’ We are betting on dealers for the long term,” he told the Free Press. “I want to make that really clear. I’m not mincing words. We will have new standards and a new experience. But we learned a lot by watching Tesla.”
FORD TO USE MODEL E NAME TESLA WANTED IN TRADEMARK FIGHT
– Over the years, Ford has sued to keep other companies from using the Model E moniker because it sounds too much like the Model T, the car for which company founder Henry Ford is known to have built as the first affordable vehicle for the masses starting in 1908.
– “‘Ford and Tesla entered into a contract in 2010 in which, among other things, Tesla agreed not to register or use Model E. When Tesla later sought to register the Model E trademark, Ford insisted that Tesla abide by the parties’ earlier agreement. The matter has been resolved amicably,'” a Ford spokesperson told CNNMoney in 2014.
– “Choosing the name is very intentional. We keep telling people this is the biggest transformation of the company since the scaling of the Model T,” Farley told the Free Press.”We knew that Model e was going to be important at Ford Motor Company,” he said. “Did we know it was going to be for this announcement, three or four years ago? Absolutely not. We protected it for a darn good reason.”
FORD SPLITS INTO ELECTRIC AND GAS DIVISIONS TO SPEED UP TRANSITION
– Ford Motor has decided the best way to make the transition to electric vehicles is to transform itself first.
– the automaker said it had reorganized its auto operations into two distinct businesses — one that makes its gasoline-powered vehicles and focuses on maximizing profits and another that develops and ramps up production of electric models and aims for rapid growth.
– Ford’s chief executive, Jim Farley, said in an interview that the two businesses required different skills and mind-sets that would clash and hinder each area if they remained parts of one organization.
– Mr. Farley said Ford would spend $50 billion on electric vehicles between 2022 and 2026. It previously planned to spend $30 billion in the five years ending in 2025. It plans to spend $5 billion on E.V.s this year, double the 2021 total.
– Ford’s reorganization is one of the most sweeping taken by a traditional automaker in preparation for the transition to electric vehicles. Mr. Farley said the plan had come together after he and other top Ford executives noticed stark differences in the two business areas.
– In making gas-powered vehicles, Ford must focus on reducing costs and generating the profits it needs to fund its E.V. plans. Over the next four years
– The electric business, in contrast, will have to spend heavily to develop software and technologies and to ramp up production quickly to achieve economies of scale. Ford aims to produce two million electric vehicles a year by 2026.
Original Source : https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/02/business/economy/ford-model-e.html
FORD MODEL E: DIRECT-TO-CONSUMER EV SALES COMING TO FORD
– Ford wants a certain number of dealers to opt in to a new Model e sales model. Model e dealers would not hold inventory. Instead, they will facilitate the delivery of online orders, much as Tesla does for their customers. Electric vehicles will be sold at non-negotiable prices. That’s just one step away from direct-to-consumer sales.“Our message to dealers is, we’re betting on you. Get ready to specialize,” Farley said.
– “Ford Model e also will lead on creating an exciting new shopping, buying and ownership experience for its future electric vehicle customers that includes simple, intuitive e-commerce platforms, transparent pricing and personalized customer support from Ford ambassadors.”
Original Source : https://joinyaa.com/guides/ford-model-e/
JEEP TEASES SMALL ELECTRIC CROSSOVER AHEAD OF EARLY 2023 LAUNCH
– As part of Stellantis’ massive presentation of its Dare Forward 2030 strategy, the company offers the first teaser images of the new battery-electric vehicle for the Jeep brand. The automaker is light on details at this time but says the crossover EV launches in early 2023.
– We only have two images of the Jeep EV, but the pictures reveal some details about the vehicle. The overall styling has proportions that are similar to the current Jeep Compass. However, this vehicle has split headlights with a portion of the grille separating the running lights on top from the main lamps on the bottom.
– The Jeep EV will go into production in November 2022 at the plant in Tychy, Poland, according to Automotive News Europe citing Stellantis documents. The same plant will also produce a small Fiat crossover starting in April 2023. An Alfa Romeo version of this product is allegedly awaiting approval for production.
– The factory will allegedly build 110,000 examples a year of the Jeep model. It will be the smallest vehicle from the brand in the US, occupying a spot below the Renegade,
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/570806/jeep-small-suv-ev-teaser/
EXPERIENCE THE BMW I4 AND IX THROUGH AUGMENTED REALITY
– BMW of North America, in collaboration with Google Cloud, launches a new augmented reality (AR) experience around the BMW i4 and iX electric vehicles. The AR experience, powered by Google Cloud’s immersive AR technology, will bring real life environments around the new electric vehicles.
– users can choose to get an up close and personal look of details like the fine leather grain and stitching in the interior of the BMW iX
– The BMW iX and i4 AR experience is best viewed via bmwusa.com, which provides a direct link into the experience in the Google app for Android and iPhone OS.
Original Source : https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/03/01/bmw-i4-and-ix-augmented-reality/
WELION STARTS CONSTRUCTION OF 100 GWH PROJECT
– Beijing WeLion New Energy Technology, rumored to be NIO’s solid-state battery supplier, recently saw the start of construction on one of its large projects.
On February 25, WeLion broke ground on a 100 GWh solid-state lithium battery project in Zibo, eastern China’s Shandong province, which has the highest safety factor and highest energy density in China, the company said.
– The project has a total investment of RMB 40 billion ($6.3 billion)
– The project’s first phase design capacity is 20 GWh of hybrid solid-liquid electrolyte batteries and all-solid-state batteries per year, and will go into production this year, according to the company.
– William Li, NIO’s founder, chairman and CEO, clarified in an interview after NIO Day that the NIO ET7’s solid-state battery is more accurately described as a semi-solid-state battery.
KIA WILL LET YOU SUMMON AN ACTUAL HUMAN TO CHARGE YOUR EV
– When your Kia electric vehicle is out of power, you can now order a technician who will arrive with a battery and charge it for you. The automaker is partnering with Currently, an on-demand mobile EV charging app, to service Kia customers in Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Jose
– In order to use the service, simply download the Currently app and book a time and place for the charge. A Currently technician will then arrive at your location with a portable charging system. Drivers don’t have to be present during the charging, but should make sure their charging port can be accessed by their technician.
– Kia EV drivers will receive two free months of service with Currently. Following the trial period, Currently subscriptions range from $25 a month (for two charge deliveries) to $80 a month (for six charge deliveries).
TESLA MODEL S AND MODEL X STEERING YOKE TO RECEIVE PUSH CENTER FOR HORN UPDATE
– It appears that the Tesla Model S and Model X’s steering yokes are about to get an update that would make them easier to use. As recently noted by Elon Musk, all Model S and Model X made since November have actually been equipped with a push center for horn feature — it just needs to be activated through an upcoming over-the-air software update.
– “All cars made since November also have push center for horn – just waiting on firmware update. If you mash right side of yoke with your palm, horn will trigger,” Musk noted on Twitter.
– Even Tesla owners such as YouTube’s Marques Brownlee, who eventually admitted that he started preferring his Model S’ steering yoke over a traditional steering wheel after using his Plaid for a while, remarked that the placement of the horn button was a pain to use. Since his Model S’ horn is a small touch-sensitive button on the yoke, it was pretty easy to press it accidentally.
TESLA MODEL Y ARRIVES IN IRELAND, FIRST DELIVERIES COMING SOON
– The first Tesla Model Ys have arrived to Ireland and deliveries will start very soon.
– Cargo vessels with Tesla Model Y onboard moored off the coast of Ireland. According to Tesla ship tracker @mortenlund89/Twitter, Hyperion Ray and a New Ireland-specific ship were carrying the compact SUVs for the local market. The unloading of the ships has already begun and the first Model Ys have landed on Irish soil. On Monday, Twitter user @shortword shared photos from the port. They show red, white, and black Model Ys rolling off the ship.
SEGWAY GT2 ELECTRIC SCOOTER UNVEILED WITH TWO MOTORS AND 43 MPH SPEED
– While most standing electric scooters that we typically see on streets around the US and Europe roll on small 8-inch wheels and feature diminutive 350W motors, the Segway GT2 ups the ante in just about every way.
– Its 11-inch wheels hide away a pair of motors totaling up to 3,000W.
– The pair of powerful motors help the Segway GT2 blast its way up to a top speed of 70 km/h (43.5 mph).
– Riders won’t need to check the battery status too often though. Segway says the scooter can travel as far as 90 km (56 miles) per charge.
The scooter will be available in either Q2 or Q3 of this year, according to Pocket Lint.
BIRD BRINGS STATE-OF-THE-ART E-BIKE TO THE UK
– Bird Global, Inc. (NYSE:BRDS), a leader in environmentally friendly electric transportation, today announced availability of its custom designed and engineered e-bike, the Bird Bike throughout the UK. The Bird Bike is now available through its exclusive launch-partner, the UK’s largest cycling retailer Halfords via birdbike.co.uk.
– a 250w Bafang rear hub motor, up to 25km/h speed assist, up to 100km range, 7-speed Shimano drivetrain for extra power on tough UK inclines, integrated LED lights, and a backlit handlebar dash display.
– Priced at £1,999, Bird Bike comes in two models: the step-over ‘A-Frame’, which is available now, and the step-through ‘V-Frame’, set to follow this summer. Orders can be made via the Halfords website and in-store teams will assemble the bike ready for collection.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best looking EV on the market right now?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT