Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily, you trusted source of information. It’s Monday 28th February, it’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER DAVIN DAHL. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
VOLKSWAGEN FACES PRODUCTION STOPPAGES DUE TO UKRAINE SUPPLY ISSUES
– Volkswagen AG said Tuesday that supply chain bottlenecks caused by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine would force it to halt some production at its main German plant and in other factories.
– The announcement comes after VW idled production this week in Zwickau, its most important factory for producing electric cars, including the ID.4 that is exported to the U.S.
– After realizing that delivery of wiring harnesses—a kit containing wires, connectors and terminals to connect a car’s components—from suppliers in Ukraine had been interrupted, VW decided to shut down production in Zwickau and its plant in Dresden this week.
2024 POLESTAR 4 SPY SHOTS: SWEDISH TESLA MODEL Y RIVAL STARTS TESTING
“Swedish electric performance brand Polestar has three new vehicles coming by the end of 2024, at least that we know of. They include a Polestar 3 mid-size SUV due out later this year, Polestar 4 small crossover due in 2023, and Polestar 5 large hatchback due in 2024.”
“What we see in our latest spy shots is a test mule for the Polestar 4, essentially the vehicle’s running gear and internal structure hidden beneath a makeshift body. In this case the body is a modified Volvo XC40 with some elements borrowed from the related Polestar 2.”
“The test mule gives us an idea about certain hard points and also reveals that the Polestar 4 will be both longer and wider than the XC40. It will also be lower to the ground than the upcoming Polestar 3, and may even feature a coupe-like profile. Expect the styling to be heavily influenced by 2020’s Polestar Precept concept, which is also the basis for the Polestar 5.”
“While the Polestar 3 will ride on Volvo’s SPA2 platform debuting in the XC90 replacement also due out this year (both SUVs will be twins under the skin), the Polestar 4 is expected to use a Polestar-tweaked version of parent company Geely’s SEA platform.”
Expect something to compete with Model Y Perf, Porsche Macan and Mercedes EQE.
Original Source: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1135189_2024-polestar-4-spy-shots
FORD CHARGE STATION PRO PRICING REVEALED
– Ford today revealed pricing for its Charge Station Pro, an 80-amp bidirectional charging station that is required for F-150 Lightning owners to utilize Ford’s Intelligent Backup Power option.
– The Ford Charge Station Pro, which was co-developed with Siemens eMobility, is now available from Ford’s website for $1,310.00. While that may sound like a lot of money, it’s actually very reasonably priced for an 80-amp charging station that can offer bidirectional power flow.
– The Ford Charge Station Pro uses the CCS or “Combo” connector because it needs the two DC pins on the bottom of the connector to deliver power back from the vehicle to the house. When the Charge Station Pro is charging the F-150 Lightning, it’s using the J1772 pins at the top of the CCS connector, but when the vehicle is sending power back to the charging station, it does so using the two DC pins at the bottom.
– the unit requires a 100-amp dedicated circuit if you want it to deliver the full 19.2 kW that it’s capable of delivering.
– if you do de-rate the power the Charge Station Pro delivers to the Lightning, it can still deliver the full 40-amps (9.6 kW) to your home in the case of a power failure. That’s because the two sides of the Charge Station Pro (AC for charging & DC to power your home) are separate, and have different wiring feeds.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/570461/ford-charge-station-pro-cost/
HERE ARE THE EIGHT FULLY ELECTRIC TOP SAFETY PICK VEHICLES FOR 2022
– Eight electric cars were among the 65 models recognized with the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s (IIHS) highest Top Safety Pick+ award for 2022.
– Released Thursday, the list includes the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y, Volvo XC40 Recharge and C40 Recharge, Volkswagen ID.4, and Audi E-Tron and E-Tron Sportback. Note that the C40 Recharge and E-Tron Sportback are “coupe” versions of the XC40 Recharge and E-Tron, respectively.
– the Ford Mustang Mach-E received the second-tier Top Safety Pick award. The Mach-E missed out on the added “plus” because headlights on the Select and California Route 1 trim levels received a lower “Marginal” rating.
PANASONIC WILL START MAKING TESLA’S HIGHER-CAPACITY EV BATTERIES BY MARCH 2024
– Panasonic aims to start mass production of a higher-capacity battery for Tesla by March 2024. The company is building a production facility for the battery at its Wakayama Factory, where it will create two more production lines and make structural improvements.
– Development is continuing on the 4680 lithium-ion battery. It’s expected to be around twice the size of current batteries and have a fivefold increase in energy capacity.
– The company was said to be investing approximately 80 billion yen (around $694 million) into production equipment.
Original Source : https://www.engadget.com/panasonic-tesla-ev-battery-4680-145523757.html
OPINION: FISKER OCEAN COULD SHINE BY BEING GENUINELY DIFFERENT
– The firm has high expectations for the Ocean. It’s targeting 60,000 units in Europe within the next two or three years, for around 50% of the model’s overall sales volume.
– Despite Fisker founder and boss Henrik Fisker telling Autocar at this year’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona that he doesn’t see Tesla as a direct rival, there will be comparisons made.
– The battle for the title of most innovative proposition is fast-paced, but it remains to be seen whether buyers will be swayed by solar roof panels or custom-effect horns.
T3.COM – FISKER OCEAN: 8 THINGS I LEARNT GETTING UP CLOSE WITH THE INNOVATIVE ELECTRIC VEHICLE
– The all-electric Fisker Ocean SUV has just made its European debut at Mobile World Congress 2022 in Barcelona. The Ocean will come in four trims. The entry-level Ocean Sport will have an expected 0-60 mph time of 6.9 seconds with peak horsepower of 275, while the Fisker Ocean Extreme and Fisker Ocean One will have an estimated 0-60 mph time of 3.6 seconds, with an estimated peak horsepower of 550 hp.
– Inside the interior is completely vegan, and features a 17.1-inch central high-resolution Revolve screen that rotates from a default portrait Control Mode, effective when driving, to a landscape Hollywood Mode, available when the vehicle is parked.
– The five-seat Fisker Ocean Sport has a starting price of £34,990 in the UK (incl. VAT but excluding subsidies).
– Typically it takes car companies around four years to develop a car – so the cars that are hitting the market today are using technology that is four years old. Fisker has found a way to shorten the development timeline to 18-months.
– The Fisker Ocean can lower all its windows and retract its sliding roof to morph into ‘California Mode’
– The ‘SolarSky’ roof on the Fisker Ocean Extreme and Fisker Ocean One trims could supply an additional 2,000 miles of range per year
– The Fisker Ocean’s cameras are sourced from one of the market-leading suppliers and provide the latest-generation vision capability, with a front-facing 8-megapixel camera delivering the highest resolution currently available in a vehicle.
– Fisker’s industry-first, Digital Code Modulation-based radar system uses five units positioned around the Fisker Ocean to confirm and enhance what the cameras see.
– The five-passenger Fisker Ocean Sport features a range of 275 miles (WLTP estimate) while the top trim Fisker Ocean Extreme can travel 390 miles (WLTP estimate) on a single charge with dual-motor AWD.
– CATL-supplied Hyper Range battery packs with nickel manganese cobalt cell chemistry.
– Once your car has been made, Fisker will have a concierge service deliver the vehicle directly to you.
– For the US and selected European and Scandinavian countries, deliveries of the Fisker Ocean will start shortly after production begins in November 2022.
CATL CUTTING DEALS TO SPUR BATTERY SWAPPING
– China’s largest battery supplier Contemporary Amperex Technology, or CATL, is making progress in the battery swapping industry－a new energy market worth 100 billion yuan ($15.8 billion)－after it launched its battery-swap solution called EVOGO last month.
– Joining hands with China’s machinery giant Sany, the company launched a heavy truck battery-swap demonstration project in Ningde, Fujian province, on Wednesday.
– The electric heavy trucks use CATL’s large-capacity lithium iron phosphate battery, which can be swapped in three to five minutes, helping relieve the anxiety of charging time and range, and improve vehicle operation efficiency, according to CATL.
– In late January, the National Development and Reform Commission, together with seven other government departments, issued plans for promoting green consumption. They called for the promotion of NEVs and the development of infrastructure for charging, battery swapping, energy storage and hydrogen refueling.
– CITIC Securities expects that in the next five years, the domestic NEV energy replenishment market will maintain the pattern of charging as the main source and battery swapping as auxiliary. But it expects the application and promotion of battery swapping will be more developed in the high-end passenger car and commercial vehicle segments.
CYBERATTACK HALTS ALL TOYOTA PRODUCTION IN JAPAN
– Toyota Has Low Expectations For Its Worst-Named Car
– We might not need to worry all that much about Toyota’s bZ4X production, as Toyota itself doesn’t expect to sell all that many of these things, per Automotive News:
– At an early test drive event outside Tokyo last week, Toyota dodged questions about how many it expects to build and sell after the bZ4X goes on sale in mid-2022.Daisuke Ido, general manager of ZEV Factory where Toyota is developing a fleet of new EVs, would only say that volumes are expected to grow with wider EV adoption.But Japan’s Nikkei newspaper, citing suppliers familiar with Toyota’s planning, reported that the automaker has targeted just 60,000 vehicles worldwide in the bZ4X’s first year, and then a decline to about 50,000 the next. By comparison, Toyota sold 407,000 of the comparable RAV4 crossovers last year in the U.S. alone.
– have to wonder if Toyota is actively trying to tank the sales on this thing.
SK ON TO CERTIFY THE BATTERY PRICE OF USED CARS BY COOPERATING WITH K CA
– SK On announced that it signed a business agreement with K Car, Korea’s largest directly-operated used car platform, to certify the remaining battery life and scrap value of used electric vehicles (EVs) that K Car deals.
– The price of used EVs is determined by its remaining battery life as batteries account for about half of the vehicles’ price. Until now, it has been difficult to calculate the price due to a lack of objective measuring standards.
– Early last year, SK On developed the BaaS Ai (Battery as a Service Artificial Intelligence) that can analyze a battery’s status, its life, scrap value as well as detect abnormalities in advance.
– In the BaaS industry, it is essential to assess the scrap value of the batteries because pricing used cars and trading become possible only after knowing the remaining battery life.
– After sorting out batteries with insufficient battery life, it will become possible to judge whether to re-use them as Energy Storage System (ESS) or scrap them can by scrap value assessment. In other words, diverse business models can emerge from the battery diagnosis service.
Original Source : http://www.koreaittimes.com/news/articleView.html
TESLA FACTORY NEAR BERLIN IN FINAL PHASE OF APPROVAL PROCESS – LOCAL AUTHORITY
– The environmental ministry in the German state of Brandenburg is in the final phase of the approval process for Tesla’s (TSLA.O) planned factory, a spokesperson said on Monday.
– Tesla is awaiting approval for a licence to begin production at its electric vehicle (EV) factory and adjacent battery plant in Gruenheide, outside of Berlin.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best looking EV on the market right now?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
THOMAS J. THIAS
VOTE JOSH OUT