Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 26th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER MARK ILIFF. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
VOLVO DISCUSSES EV ROADMAP WITH DEALERS – AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
“Volvo Cars declared last year that it will be an all-electric brand by 2030. And last week in Miami, the automaker told its dealers how it plans to get there. The way forward? For starters, seven new and redesigned electrified models over the next few years, including five battery-electric vehicles and two plug-in hybrids.”
“The new-vehicle onslaught will begin rolling out as early as next year, the Swedish automaker told a closed-door audience of about 800 retailers from across North and South America, according to people who attended the event and asked not to be identified.”
“To pull it off, Volvo will begin ramping up plans to build more vehicles at its U.S. plant in Ridgeville, S.C., hiring more workers and introducing new models there”
“The five new battery-electric vehicles it revealed last week include both a large and a small crossover, a sedan, and two sporty wagon-like models that Volvo executives referred to as “activity vehicles,” according to the people who attended the meeting.”
“The automaker also showed dealers redesigned versions of its S90 and XC90 plug-in hybrids. Volvo further charged up retailers with a forecast that should have significant profit ramifications for Volvo stores: The manufacturer said the new vehicle line will help retailers double their average store throughput to about 800 vehicles a year by 2025, dealers told Automotive News.”
Original Source: https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/volvo-gives-dealers-its-road-map-ev-future
CALIFORNIA LEADS THE NATION’S ZEV MARKET, SURPASSING 1 MILLION ELECTRIC VEHICLES SOLD
– As California’s booming zero-emission vehicle (ZEV) market continues to lead the nation, Governor Gavin Newsom lifted up the state surpassing 1 million plug-in electric cars, pickup trucks, SUVs and motorcycles sold in California – more than the total sales in the next 10 states combined. New data also show that California, with only 10 percent of the nation’s cars, now accounts for over 40 percent of all zero-emission cars in the country.
– The state has also implemented targeted policies to help more middle- and low-income consumers buy these ultra-clean vehicles. To date, over 30,000 low-income consumers have been assisted under the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, which will now only apply to affordably priced electric vehicles.
– Over the past 10 years, annual sales of plug-in electric vehicles in California have gone from just 7,000 in 2011 to more than a quarter of a million sold in 2021, making up more than 12 percent of all light-duty vehicle sales last year. California also leads the nation in all other zero-emission vehicle metrics, including the highest level of public funding, the largest EV market share percentage and the most extensive public charging infrastructure.
Original Source : https://www.gov.ca.gov/2022/02/25/california-leads-the-nations-zev-market-surpassing-1-million-electric-vehicles-sold/
RIVIAN “ABSOLUTELY MAKING PROGRESS” ON PRODUCTION RAMP-UP: CEO
– Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe said the EV startup is making progress in the increase of production of electric vehicles at its plant in Normal, Illinois. The executive delivered remarks about the production ramp-up during a Wolfe Research conference on February 24.
– In a move to boost output, the CEO said Rivian idled the plant for the first 10 days of January to make changes on the production lines.
– During the conference, RJ Scaringe also responded to a question about how big Rivian could become by 2030. As reported by Reuters, he said the company is aiming to take 10% share in the EV market.
– As things stand at the moment, the main obstacle in Rivian’s path is the production capacity. In January, the company was building around 200 vehicles per week, which is nowhere near enough to satisfy the existing demand in a reasonable amount of time. As of December 15, 2021, Rivian had about 71,000 preorders for the R1T and R1S in the US and Canada.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/569904/rivian-making-progress-production-ramp
FARADAY FUTURE IS PREPARING TO ACTUALLY SELL ITS FF 91
– Despite a litany of financial struggles and botched factory plans, Faraday Future has built its first production-intent car. This week, the EV startup unveiled the FF 91 at its Hanford, California-based plant, and announced it would begin production in Q3 of 2022. Since the best-laid plans of Faraday Future often go haywire, we won’t hold our breath for the time being.
– Faraday Future’s flagship car is intended to be an “ultra-luxury EV” that can compete with the likes of Jaguar, Tesla, Polestar and other brands. It has three motors, which means that at least in terms of power, it would beat out even the newer Tesla models (except for the Cybertruck) and ostensibly be in the same league as Audi’s E-tron crossover. The system horsepower is a jaw-dropping 1050, and it can go from 0 to 60 mph in 2.39 seconds. The seats are zero gravity (meaning they recline in a fashion that makes you feel weightless) and ventilated. They also double as massage chairs.
– Drivers who can’t wait to join in on Faraday’s vision of a future can reserve an FF 91 now. There’s a waitlist to join the FF 91 Futurist Alliance (which costs $5,000 but guarantees you a priority reservation), but you can still pay $1,500 for a standard reservation.
Original Source : https://www.engadget.com/faraday-future-unveils-first-production-intent-ev-214047024.html
TESLA MAY STILL OFFER ROUND STEERING WHEEL AS YOKE ALTERNATIVE
– Tesla caused a lot of controversy when it announced that its refreshed Model S would only be available with a yoke instead of a traditional steering wheel, even though the manufacturer was nowhere near completing work on the variable-ration steer-by-wire system that could make that design work. The automaker is working on such a system, but it’s not ready for a production implementation yet.
– Last month a Reddit user posted a photo from showing the yoke in a Tesla test vehicle with a sticker reading ‘Airbag horn enabled in SW-352573.’ This is proof Tesla is already testing adding a traditional horn to the yoke, which doesn’t have a physical horn you can press – in the Model S and Model X Plaid (the only yoke-equipped models), you sound the horn by tapping on a force touch button like the ones for the indicators.
– Now green, the known Tesla hacker that’s very active on Twitter, posted a screenshot he took in the Tesla Toolbox software showing a clear mention of a ‘steering wheel-yoke swap.’ We don’t know what this means exactly, other than the fact that since the diagnostic tool fond it in the car’s software, it’s there for a reason, and it could be that Tesla is preparing its cars for such a swap, but haven’t made it public yet.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/570040/tesla-may-offer-round-steeringwheel/
JEEP HAS A BIG SURPRISE FOR FORD, GM AND RIVIAN
– Jeep, Stellantis’ flagship brand, particularly in North America, symbolizes the group’s strategy in electrification. Unlike its rivals in Detroit, Stellantis has chosen to gradually support consumers in their conversion to electric by offering them a middle solution: hybrid vehicles.
– Jeep thus markets the Plug-in-Hybrid Jeep Wrangler 4xe, and soon the Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe. The brand does not offer any 100% electric vehicle as of now.
– The company led by Portuguese Carlos Tavares will undoubtedly lift the veil on this car either on March 1 when presenting its long-term strategic plan to investors or between April 9 and 17 during the 2022 Easter Jeep Safari held in Moab, Utah.
– From what we’ve seen the Wrangler Magneto is an electric concept vehicle designed to show off what you might expect from a future electric Wrangler.
– It’s based on the 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and seems to cling to many of the Wrangler’s off-road skills
– There are four batteries, spread out to keep the weight balanced, with a total capacity of 70kWh. It runs on an 800-volt system, with a custom motor that will deliver 273 lb-ft of torque and equivalent power of 285 hp.
– By choosing to convert Jeep to electrification, Stellantis confirms its promise to invest $35.5 billion in electrified vehicles by 2025.
Original Source : https://www.thestreet.com/investing/jeep-has-a-big-surprise-for-ford-gm-and-rivian
ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGERS AT OR NEAR TOP OF MANY CONDO COMMUNITY WISH LISTS
– For condominium dwellers, the lack of access to electrical charging in congested parking garages with assigned spaces initially proved to be a significant challenge for those with EVs. Wisely, the Florida Legislature passed several new laws in recent years to address the installation of charging stations in condominiums, and the law that went into effect last July to facilitate the deployment of shared community EV charging stations may be the most important yet.
– T he solution that many Florida condominium communities and their association boards of directors are now or will soon be considering is the installation of shared chargers in designated EV parking zones for all unit owners and their guests, as the new state law now provides.
– EV chargers are on their way to becoming ubiquitous, and the companies that focus on commercial-grade charging stations for condominiums and apartment buildings are providing solutions to defray the costs of their installation over time via the paid usage from drivers. They are also making them as user friendly as possible with smartphone apps to pay for charging and receive alerts on the status of a vehicle’s charge as well as the availability of chargers.
Original Source : https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/article258731938.html
A SHORT HISTORY OF THE ELECTRIC VEHICLE BATTERY – ELECTRIC & HYBRID VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL
– In 2022, the battery reaches the grand old age of 221 years. With more car buyers now opting for electric, here we recognize what batteries have done for humankind, and the advantages their technology offers the mobility and energy spaces.
– Alessandro Volta introduced the first battery in 1801. It was quite simple in design, his first attempts consisted of rudimentary objects: thin strips of copper, cardboard and zinc, separated by damp leather. Volta’s conducting element was – unbelievably – his own tongue.
– Far from its original uncomplicated design and limited capacity, the battery is now highly developed. So much more than an indispensable component in smartphones and laptops, life without batteries today seems unimaginable.
Original Source : https://www.electrichybridvehicletechnology.com/features/a-short-history-of-the-electric-vehicle-battery.html
THE ELECTRIC CAR WAS A MISSED OPPORTUNITY OVER 100 YEARS AGO
– To put the early electric car into perspective, it’s important to understand both transportation and the availability of electricity between 1850 and the turn of the century. Horse-drawn carriages were in use even with the advent of three types of early automobiles — steam, gasoline and electric. Steam cars were impractical since they required a constant supply of water and took a long time to start. Early gasoline-powered cars were noisy, belched putrid fumes and needed to be hand-cranked. The electric car appeared to have potential, but battery technology was not advanced. At the same time, electricity was only just coming to urban areas in the early 1900s.
– Electric cars got their start in the 1830s when Robert Anderson of Scotland developed a motorized carriage, but the vehicle wasn’t practical because its battery couldn’t be recharged. When rechargeable batteries became available in 1859, inventors on both sides of the Atlantic built prototype electric cars. Somewhere around 1890, William Morrison from Des Moines, Iowa debuted a six-passenger electric wagon that reached a top speed of fourteen miles per hour. It was prehistoric as far as electric cars go, but it started a trend.
– The electric car had a very promising beginning — but demand started to fall when Henry Ford introduced the Model T in 1908. Ford’s automated manufacturing system made it possible to sell a Model T by 1912 for $650 while an electric car cost $1,750 — almost three times as much. That same year, the electric starter for gasoline-powered automobiles was introduced. As a result, car engines no longer had to be cranked by hand, making the gasoline car even more popular. Only 6,000 electric cars were sold in America in 1912 compared with 82,000 Ford Model Ts.
Original Source : https://historyofyesterday.com/the-electric-car-was-a-missed-opportunity-over-100-years-ago-d2312066a7d5
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best looking EV on the market right now?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
VOTE JOSH OUT