Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 24th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER CHRIS HERRON. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
2022–2023 STELLANTIS PRODUCT ROADMAP CONFIRMS JEEP EV, DODGE PHEV
– Stellantis is announcing its financial results for the 2021 calendar year today and one of the documents that have already been made available on its website also reveals an updated electrified vehicle product roadmap for 2022–2023.
– Stellantis will launch a total of 17 low-emissions vehicles (LEVs) in 2022 and 2023, in addition to the 34 LEVs available today across all brands, segments and markets.
– Starting with the Alfa Romeo brand, we see the Tonale PHEV that has already been unveiled and will go on sale in Europe this summer and in North America in the fourth quarter of 2022.
– Moving on to Citroën, there are two battery electric vehicles confirmed for launch in 2022 and 2023, but their names remain a secret for now. One of them could be the next-generation C3
– In addition, the already revealed plug-in hybrid version of the Citroën C5X is also listed.
– Previous reports mentioned a Dodge PHEV launching in 2022 with underpinnings shared with the Alfa Romeo Tonale. The model is expected to be a rebadged Tonale called the Hornet
– Fiat has only one, a to-be-announced all-electric model; many are hoping it will be the next-generation Panda EV
– As for the Jeep brand, the roadmap includes the already unveiled Grand Cherokee 4xe plug-in hybrid launching this year and a mystery battery electric model expected to arrive in 2023.
– Alfa Romeo CEO recently said the Brennero EV will launch in 2024, which means its Jeep equivalent will launch the year before judging by this product roadmap.
– Maserati will launch two BEVs in 2022–2023: the GranTurismo/GranCabrio replacements and Grecale SUV.
– On the Opel/Vauxhall front, the all-new Astra hatchback and wagon will get plug-in hybrid and battery electric variants, with the same thing in store for the latest Peugeot 308.
– Ram will launch an all-electric ProMaster in 2023 to rival the Ford E-Transit and GM’s BrightDrop vans.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/569425/stellantis-ev-bev-product-roadmap/
SK ON AIMS TO BE GLOBAL NO. 1 EV BATTERY PLAYER: CEO
– SK On co-CEO Jee Dong-seob said Sunday he will make the company the world’s No. 1 electric vehicle battery player with products that excel in safety, performance and price competitiveness.
– During an interview, the SK On official laid out three core strategies to take on market leaders such as CATL and LG Energy Solution and become No. 1 by 2030.
– Jee first pledged to offer the safest, the cheapest and the most high-performing EV batteries to clients.
– SK On’s order backlog stood at 1,600 gigawatt-hours as of the end of 2021, which is almost 27 times bigger than five years ago.
Original Source : http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php
DUKE MAY OFFER SOME EV CUSTOMERS ‘ALL YOU CAN CHARGE’ FOR JUST $19.99/MONTH
– Duke Energy has proposed an electric vehicle (EV) charging program that could allow some residential customers in North Carolina to charge a vehicle for a fixed monthly fee as low as $19.99. In exchange, the customer would allow Duke to manage the vehicle’s charging, in order to avoid grid stress and higher costs.
– Customers who consume more than 800 kWh for charging in a month, or opt out of several managed charging events during which charging may be paused, could receive warnings and be removed from the pilot. According to Duke, that amount of energy will get a typical EV close to 2,000 miles of range. But clean energy advocates say the program limits are an indication that subscription-based managed charging plans may not work for all customers.
– Unmanaged EV charging that occurs during or near the coincident peak could mean Duke “will need to build or obtain additional capacity resources to avoid power interruptions or damage to the system,” the utility said. “This could result in increased costs for all customers.”
On the other hand, if EV charging is managed effectively Duke said it will be able to “delay or avoid adding additional capacity resources” and reduce costs in both the short- and long-term. System assets will also be used more efficiently, “and these savings will be shared among both EV drivers and non-EV drivers.”
Original Source : https://www.utilitydive.com/news/duke-may-offer-some-ev-customers-all-you-can-charge-for-just-1999month/619210/
LIVEWIRE TO LAUNCH ARROW PLATFORM FOR LIGHTER E-MOTORBIKES
– Harley-Davidson is planning a second model called Del Mar for its electric motorbike brand LiveWire for the second quarter of 2022. As a more affordable model below the LiveWire One, the Del Mar is to be based on a new platform called Arrow, which has a special technical feature.
– Until now, the battery has been built into the frame, which is the only load-bearing component, but this classic frame is omitted in the Arrow platform. Instead of being attached to the frame, the swingarm is attached to the side engine mounts, and the suspension strut is supported on the battery block again by means of a deflection.
– The new arrangement saves weight and can reduce costs but also requires a completely new design of the battery housing, as this not only protects the cells in the event of an accident but now also has to absorb other forces during the ride – such as from the suspension strut.
– The battery of the Arrow platform will use round cells in the 2170 format. Depending on the model, Harley will connect these standard cells differently in order to realise voltage levels between 50 and 400 volts.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/02/23/livewire-to-launch-arrow-platform-for-lighter-e-motorbikes/
USPS SEALS GASOLINE-TRUCKS DEAL, SHUNNING BIDEN EV PLEA
– The U.S. Postal Service has authorized the replacement of its mail-truck fleet with nearly all gasoline-powered vehicles built by Oshkosh Corp. after the Biden administration unsuccessfully pushed the independent agency to increase the number of electric trucks purchased.
– The move, announced in a record of decision made public Wednesday, affirms a decision by the agency to move forward with a contested plan to begin purchasing as many as 165,000 mail trucks over the next 10 years. As much as 90% of those will be fueled by gasoline instead of climate-friendly battery power, according to the plan.
– The agency said its plan “is the most achievable given the Postal Service’s financial condition,” because, it said, the battery-electric option has a significantly higher total cost of ownership than its combustion-engine counterpart. However, environmentalists and energy analysts have disputed the assertion.
– Environmental groups are preparing to immediately challenge the move in federal court, arguing the Postal Service is illegally justifying its move with a fundamentally flawed analysis of the purchase plan that underestimates greenhouse gas emissions, relies on faulty economic assumptions and fails to consider alternatives.
– Although the Biden administration has limited authority over the Postal Service because it is an independent agency, federal courts have found the USPS is still bound by the National Environmental Policy Act that requires analysis of major policy decisions. And federal courts have previously invalidated government leases sold to private companies after finding that analysis lacking.
Original Source : https://eu.detroitnews.com/story/news/environment/2022/02/23/usps-seals-gasoline-trucks-deal-shunning-biden-ev-plea/6909397001/
CUPRA TO LAUNCH TWO ELECTRIFIED MODELS BY 2023
– Cupra has confirmed it will launch two new models into its line-up by 2023, and both will be electrified – although it’s not known if that means fully-electric or hybrid.
– Cupra is launching in Australia this year and it will be the Volkswagen Group’s first brand to locally introduce a fully-electric vehicle, the Cupra Born. However, it’s unclear what the new models will be and where they will sit in the line-up.
– The coupe SUV could potentially be something similar to the Skoda Enyaq Coupe iV or Volkswagen ID if it’s fully-electric, and if Cupra is to adopt the underlying MEB architecture available in the VW Group catalogue.
Original Source : https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/cupra-to-introduce-two-new-electrified-models-by-2023
NISSAN LEAF 2022 FACELIFT ADDS SUBTLE DESIGN OPTIONS & PAINT
– Nissan has given its Leaf a facelift model for 2022, bringing subtle new looks and technology to the now almost five-year-old second-gen Leaf.
– Well, we say ‘facelift’, but you’ll need to squint pretty hard to spot the differences. Principally it’s down to Nissan’s updated logo
– There are also new alloy wheel options (in 16- or 17-inch) with a black fascia finish.
– The Nissan Leaf 2022 will be available to order from 1 March 2022, with prices starting at £26,995 in the UK (after current government grant reduction has been applied), with deliveries expected from April.
Original Source : https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/news/nissan/160146-nissan-leaf-2022-facelift-design
VOLKSWAGEN OPTIMIZING ID.3 PRODUCTION IN THE UK
– Volkswagen has stopped taking orders for certain versions of its ID.3 electric car in the UK, in order to shorten lead times amid the semiconductor supply shortage. The only model currently available to order in the UK is the ID.3 Pro Performance Life, starting at £35,835.
– The ID3 Pro Performance uses a 58kWh battery, which allows a WLTP range of 259 miles. The car is powered by a single 150 kW electric motor. Meanwhile, orders for the ID3 Tour, which uses a larger 82kWh battery, were suspended in November. The entry-level ID3 Pure Performance with a 45kWh battery is also currently unavailable to order.
– Interestingly enough, the larger VW ID4 remains available to order in all six trim levels, with a choice of 58kWh and 82kWh battery packs. The new ID5 is also being offered in three trims, however, all with an 82kWh battery.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/02/22/volkswagen-optimizing-id-3-production-in-the-uk/
ELECTRIFY AMERICA PARTNERS WITH KIA TO PROVIDE EV6 CUSTOMERS UP TO 4,000 MILES FREE CHARGING
– North American EV charging network Electrify America has announced a collaboration with Kia America to provide 1,000 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of free charging to EV6 customers. According to EA, this should equate to about 3,500-4,000 miles of complimentary charging.
– The 1,000 kWh of free charging will be accessible to Kia EV6 owners as soon as they enroll in Kia Connect, the automaker’s in-car telematics system. After that, EV6 owners will find an enrollment code for Electrify America in their owner’s portal or the Kia Access App.
– Based on the EV6’s 310 mile EPA range and DC fast charging capability (up to 217 miles range in under 18 minutes at a 350 kW charger), the companies predict that EV6 drivers will be able to garner between 3,500 and 4,000 miles of range using the free Electrify America chargers.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2022/02/22/electrify-america-partners-with-kia-to-provide-ev6-customers-up-to-4000-miles-free-charging/
EQT INFRASTRUCTURE TO ACQUIRE INSTAVOLT
– InstaVolt is an operator and owner of electric vehicle (EV) charge points with a nationwide network across the UK. The Company was founded in 2016
– InstaVolt’s charge points are most often situated at retail, food, beverage and forecourt sites, offering a convenient service for the end-user who can combine their charge with other day-to-day activities. Current partners include McDonald’s, Costa Coffee and Booths
– EQT Infrastructure is committed to invest significantly to accelerate InstaVolt’s expansion of charge points across the UK, and support the mission to roll out 10,000 rapid EV chargers by 2032.
– The investment sees founding investor Zouk Capital exit after establishing the Company with the InstaVolt management team in 2016. Zouk is the manager of the Charging Infrastructure Investment Fund (“CIIF”) and has a central objective of scaling open-access, public EV charging networks for the UK’s EV drivers.
Original Source : https://instavolt.co.uk/eqt-infrastructure-acquire-instavolt/
BYD SALES IN 2022 MIGHT REACH 1.5 MILLION PLUG-IN CARS
– After selling some 603,783 plug-in vehicles (593,745 cars and 10,038 commercial vehicles) in 2021, BYD was expected to aim afor 1.1-1.2 million in 2022.
– However, according to the latest info (via CnEVPost), the largest Chinese plug-in manufacturer might sell even more BEVs/PHEVs this year. The report says that BYD released a set of targets for 2022, including one about 3 million “customers” in the New Energy Vehicle segment.
– Considering that as of the end of 2021, the company deployed more than 1.5 million plug-in electric cars (and as far as we know, over 85,000 commercial vehicles), to achieve the milestone of 3 million “customers,” it would have to sell over 1.4 million in 2022. Maybe even reaching 1.5 million.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/569258/byd-sales-2022-target/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best looking EV on the market right now?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
VOTE JOSH OUT