Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 21st February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON EXECUTIVE PRODUCER VOTE JOSH OUT. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
2024 VOLKSWAGEN ID.BUZZ MICROBUS REINTERPRETS THE ICONIC ORIGINAL
– the Europe-spec prototype was only partially representative of the bus that will come to the States. It was a commercial van rather than a people hauler, with a bulkhead behind the front seats fully partitioning the cargo area; all of ours will be passenger versions. It also sat on the shorter 117.6-inch wheelbase that will be offered in Europe, while the plan is to bring only the longer-wheelbase variant to America. The U.S. version will also have a bigger battery pack than the prototype’s 77.0-kWh unit.
– The prototype used what will be the entry-level powertrain consisting of a single electric motor driving the rear wheels
– Like the ID.4, it makes 201 horsepower and 229 lb-ft of torque. Volkswagen engineers say an all-wheel-drive version using a second motor to power the front axle will also be offered. Beyond basic dimensions
– We’re also promised that the finished car will support forthcoming Plug & Charge technology, which will allow cars to communicate directly with chargers to eliminate the need for cards or apps. We don’t have official range figures yet, but the engineering team says they would be happy with a 250-mile rating under the European WLTP testing protocol
– We haven’t been given a peak charging speed either but are assured that rapid DC charging will be supported (the ID.4 supports rates of up to 125 kilowatts).
Original Source : https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a39152293/2024-volkswagen-idbuzz-microbus-ev-prototype-drive/
FORD’S CEO EXPLORES WAYS TO SEPARATE EV BUSINESS
– Ford is looking at ways to separate its electric-vehicle operation from its century-old legacy business
– CEO Jim Farley wants to wall off Ford’s electric operations from its internal combustion engine business and has even considered spinning off one or the other, people familiar with the effort said. A spinoff could generate the kind of earnings multiples that have given Tesla a market value approaching $1 trillion.
– Renault Group CEO Luca de Meo said last week it could split off its electric and internal combustion drivetrain activities into two “dedicated entities,” as the automaker targets a 100 percent full-electric lineup in Europe by 2030.
– Investors have awarded immense value to pure EV makers, such as Rivian Automotive, whose market value briefly topped Ford’s late last year despite producing relatively few vehicles.
– As Farley sought to maximize the value of Ford’s EV operations, his vision evolved over time, from initially considering a smaller spinoff, to contemplating a full breakup, to now looking at an internal split, the people familiar with the effort said.
– Analysts have said Ford needs to shed its legacy business model to achieve the profit margins that Tesla commands, which Farley has estimated top $10,000 a car. To offset the higher cost of electric vehicles, analysts say, automakers need a direct sales model, like at Tesla and Rivian, that bypasses dealers and the cut of revenue they receive. Automakers also need to lower labor costs.
Original Source : https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/fords-ceo-explores-ways-separate-ev-business
JAGUAR, MAGNA’S JOINT EV PLATFORM PLANS REVEALED BY JOB AD
– Jaguar Land Rover will work with Magna International on a new platform for its forthcoming electric Jaguar range, a job ad posted by the U.K. automaker has revealed.
– The job ad, posted on Linkedin, offers candidates the chance to be involved in the platform project and “work closely with JLR, Jaguar and Magna” on an “outsourced engineering service relationship.”
– The platform is called Panthera, JLR Chief Financial Officer Adrian Mardell
– Jaguar will now head significantly upmarket to create a rival to Bentley with the launch of the first electric model on the new platform, due in 2025.
– Magna Steyr works with a variety of customers engineering vehicle platforms, including U.S. EV maker Fisker, which will also use the company to build its electric Ocean in Graz.
Original Source : https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/jaguar-magnas-joint-ev-platform-plans-revealed-job-ad
RIVIAN RUNNING PILOT PRODUCTION TESTS FOR ITS OWN BATTERY FACTORY
– A number of Rivian executives in charge of production and battery development have visited Korea recently to prepare for a pilot production run in local facilities. After the battery development and production partnership with Samsung fell through, Rivian was reportedly still left with Korean suppliers as the only option to gain know-how and speed its American battery factory plans.
– Rivian intends to build its own battery Gigafactory in America instead of depending on the whims of suppliers and aims to expand power cells production for its electric vehicles there to a 100 GWh capacity by 2030.
Original Source : https://www.notebookcheck.net/Rivian-running-pilot-production-tests-for-its-own-battery-factory.600832.0.html
SK AND FORD TO ACCELERATE START OF BATTERY PRODUCTION – THE ELEC, KOREA ELECTRONICS INDUSTRY MEDIA
– SK On, the battery-making subsidiary of South Korean energy firm SK Innovation, is planning to accelerate the start of production of its planned new battery factory in the US with Ford by three months, TheElec has learned.
– Blue Oval SK, the South Korean battery maker’s joint venture with the US car giant, is planning to place orders for production equipment in the planned factory in Kentucky, called BOSK1, within the year, sources said.
– Equipment will be delivered and start installation at BOSK2 during the second half of 2023, with commercial production beginning in 2024.
– The two factories are planned to have an annual production capacity of 43GWh each.
– BOSK3 will have a similar design and capacity but equipment installation will begin for this factory during the second half of 2024 at the earliest.
Original Source : http://www.thelec.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=3848
GAC AION FINISHES FIRST OF TWO CAPACITY EXPANSIONS – ELECTRIVE.COM
– GAC Aion, the electric car offshoot of China’s GAC Group, has completed the expansion of its existing production facility to an annual capacity of now 200,000 electric cars. When the second plant comes on stream in December, production capacity will rise to 400,000 cars per year.
– The first plant started production in April 2019 when GAC unveiled the Aion sub-brand for its electric cars.
– The construction of a second plant for another 200,000 electric cars per year should be completed by December this year.
– GAC Aion was spun off as a separate brand from GAC in November 2020, replacing the previous GAC New Energy division. The brand has since launched five all-electric models: the Aion S, Aion LX, Aion V, Aion Y and Aion LX Plus.
– The battery has an energy content of 144.4 kWh and an energy density of 205 Wh/kg.
– NEDC range of around 1,000 km
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/02/20/gac-aion-finishes-first-of-two-projects-of-factory-expansion/
EUROPE’S NEW EMISSIONS STANDARDS ARE ACCELERATING THE EV RACE | OILPRICE.COM
– Throughout 2021 and 2022 the EU is addressing the pollution caused by vehicles on Europe’s roads to introduce a new emission standard called Euro 7 in 2025.
– The establishment of new Euro 7 legislation is expected to help the EU achieve its Green Deal environmental goals. Euro 7 is likely to impose stricter testing and measurement conditions for vehicles as well as toughening particle filter standards.
– Nissan stated this month that it intends to stop ICE vehicles in the European market once the Euro 7 law comes into effect. New regulations could mean that automakers need to invest heavily in integrating new technologies into traditional vehicles, therefore making the price less competitive against EVs.
– Nissan’s CEO, Ashwani Gupta, explains “If the total cost of ownership of battery-electric cars at Euro 7 is less than the total cost of ownership for the ICE cars… [then] definitely, customers will go for battery cars. So that’s why we’ve decided not to develop ICE engines, starting [from] Euro 7, for Europe.”
Original Source : https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Europes-New-Emissions-Standards-Are-Accelerating-The-EV-Race.html
CHINESE STARTUP TO PUT TWO-WAY CHARGING SYSTEM INTO PRACTICAL USE – NIKKEI ASIA
– Research is being conducted to commercialize a vehicle-to-grid (V2G) technology in which electric vehicles are used as energy supply infrastructure.
– Link-U Tech has accumulated large quantities of all-weather two-way charging data, mainly in batteries’ two-way active control algorithms and two-way power electronics components.
– At the end of 2021, China’s Standardization Administration announced that it would revise the national standards for EV charging protocols. The move indicated that the Chinese government strongly backs the spread of V2G technology on the policy front as well.
– V2G will be accessed through two-way charging systems, which can charge EVs and supply power from them. Link-U Tech has developed two-way charging facilities with output levels of 30 kW, 60 kW and 150 kW.
– Switching from full power charge to full power supply takes only several milliseconds. Final costs are only about 20% higher than conventional one-way charging stations available on the market.The company has also built a V2G smart coordination platform to quickly respond to load coordination needs and control frequency and voltage fluctuations.
Original Source : https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/36Kr-KrASIA/Chinese-startup-to-put-two-way-charging-system-into-practical-use
PORSCHE COULD BE BUILDING THE WORLD’S LIGHTEST E-BIKE | TECHRADAR
– Porsche could soon launch a new range of super light e-bikes for the road or trails, with premium prices to match.
– Porsche is taking e-bikes very seriously; in December it bought a majority share in premium electric bike builder Greyp (pronounced ‘grape’), and it’s now acquired a hefty stake in e-bike drive system builder Fauza as well.
– With the addition of Porsche’s design expertise, its next two-wheeler could be one of the lightest around, and with clever use of carbon fiber, could be well under 10kg.
– Last year it released a pair of e-bikes to coincide with the launch of the Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo.
– The Sport retailed for £9,600 (about $13,000 / AU$17,000), while the multi-terrain Cross was £7,650 (about $10,000 / AU$14,000).
Original Source : https://www.techradar.com/news/cant-stretch-to-a-taycan-a-super-light-porsche-e-bike-could-be-the-next-best-thing
Video: First EVER Gas vs. EV Heavy Duty Truck Drag Race: It Was OVER From The Beginning! – The Fast Lane Truck
– Magna took a 2021 GMC Sierra HD 2500 AT4 truck, removed its gas V8 engine and 6-speed automatic transmission, and put it their eBeam electric rear axle along with a eDS electric front motor. The results is an HD truck with AWD and nearly 550 horsepower.
– The prototype GMC Sierra 2500 truck you see here is equipped with a 85 kWh battery. Magna is currently building battery enclosures that can hold up to 180 kWh. Although electric motors can be twice more efficient than internal combustion engines, the energy density of batteries still needs to improve to enable long distance hauling and towing.
Original Source : https://tfltruck.com/2022/02/video-first-ever-gas-vs-ev-heavy-duty-truck-drag-race-it-was-over-from-the-beginning/
STICKER SHOCK: 80% OF CAR BUYERS NOW PAYING ABOVE SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE – CNN
– Only a year ago almost no one paid the full sticker price when buying a new car. Now you’re lucky if you can.
– In perhaps the most striking sign of the change in new car pricing, 80% of new car buyers in January paid more than manufacturer’s suggested retail price, or MSRP, according to data from Edmunds, the online site that tracks car rankings and prices. That’s what’s commonly known as sticker price.
– It’s the latest manifestation of the fact that a shortage of parts, especially computer chips, has caused automakers to temporarily halt production at various plants.
– Only 2% of buyers paid above MSRP a year ago, with buyers paying on average about $2,150 less than sticker at that time.
– The only good news for car buyers is that used car prices are going up even faster than new car prices, due to an even tighter supply of vehicles in that market. The average value of a trade-in has increased $8,000 in the last year, according to Edmunds.
– In particular, GM and Ford are concerned that customers who have put down a deposit for a reservation for upcoming models, particularly EV models like the Ford F-150 Lightning, are being told that they must pay thousands above the list price they expected to pay. Nearly 200,000 Ford customers made deposits for a Lightning
Original Source : https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/19/business/car-buyers-sticker-shock/index.html
USED TESLA MODEL Y SELLING FOR MORE THAN INITIAL PURCHASE PRICE IN CHINA – CNEVPOST
– While people generally avoid used new energy vehicles (NEVs) these days, that’s not the case for premium brands, including Tesla.
– The vast majority of Tesla Model Y vehicles for sale on multiple online used car trading platforms in China are priced above RMB 300,000 ($47,000), higher than what their owners paid for them in the first place, information seen by CnEVPost shows.
– “The price of a Tesla Model Y was about RMB 276,000 in September 2021, but because you now need to wait about half a year to get a new car delivered, the price of a used car has now gone up to slightly more than RMB 300,000,”
Original Source : https://cnevpost.com/2022/02/21/used-tesla-model-y-selling-for-more-than-initial-purchase-price-in-china/
GERMANY, THE NETHERLANDS OPEN INVESTIGATION OF TESLA AUTOPILOT
– Regulators in Germany are looking into Tesla’s Autopilot features and whether or not these are safe enough to use on German roads. The Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt confirmed that it’s opened a new investigation
– the use of Autopilot in Germany could hinge on the KBA’s ruling.
– This is on top of another recent KBA investigation, which focused on the safety of Tesla’s center console touchscreen system
– This latest probe in Germany comes after the federal government in the U.S. opened several investigations into Tesla’s automated features, and Bild reports that NHTSA is in contact with the KBA as both agencies investigate the safety of Tesla’s Autopilot.
– The German KBA is also coordinating with regulators at the RDW, which is the big vehicle agency in the Netherlands. The Netherlands is reportedly a key member state whose rules apply to much of the EU, so any decisions from the Dutch agency will have wide-ranging effects for Tesla.
Original Source : https://jalopnik.com/germany-is-the-latest-country-investigating-the-safety-1848577005
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best looking EV on the market right now?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
VOTE JOSH OUT