Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 19th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON EXECUTIVE PRODUCER GRANTON SMITH. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
NISSAN TO BUILD TWO ALL-NEW, ALL-ELECTRIC MODELS AT MISSISSIPPI ASSEMBLY PLANT
– Nissan’s Canton Vehicle Assembly Plant in Mississippi will become a center for US EV production, including the INFINITI brand. The company is investing $500 million in Nissan Canton to support production of two all-new, all-electric vehicles. Production is expected to begin in 2025.
– The plant employs approximately 5,000 people and has built nearly 5 million vehicles since opening in 2003. The plant currently builds four models: Altima, Frontier, TITAN and TITAN XD.
Original Source : https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/02/20220218-nissan.html
VOLKSWAGEN’S E-UP! IS BACK FOR THE NEW MODEL YEAR, DID YOU MISS THE TINY EV?
– Volkswagen was forced to stop taking orders for the e-up! at the end of 2020, as delivery times rose to up to 16 months. Production, however, continued throughout last year, and now that they have finally caught up with the demand, they have once again added the tiny electric hatchback to their online configurator.
– Offered in the e-up! Style Plus trim level, the zero-emission model, which is the brand’s most affordable battery-electric vehicle, kicks off from €26,895 in Germany, including tax
– Add the €9,570 ($10,876) environmental and innovation premium, though, and the pricing will drop to at least €17,145 ($19,485).
– 82 hp (83 ps / 61 kW)
– 32.2 kWh (net) battery
– maximum range of 160 miles (258 km) in the WLTP cycle
– Now that it has returned to the company’s portfolio in Germany, the 2022 Volkswagen e-up! electric hatchback will gradually roll out in other European markets as well, with pricing varying depending on the country, and local government incentives.
BYD SEAL SET TO BECOME NEW TESLA MODEL 3 CHALLENGER – CNEVPOST
– As the largest Chinese new energy vehicle (NEV) maker, BYD has a very rich product matrix. Now, a new model is about to join and is expected to be another one of its hot sellers.
– Local auto site Xchuxing posted several images of what is purported to be a BYD Seal model on Thursday, as well as a spec sheet suggesting that the model could be BYD’s to challenge the Tesla Model 3.
– It will be available in single-motor versions with 150kW and 180kW of power, as well as a dual-motor version with a maximum power of 360kW and a top speed of more than 180 km/h, according to the sheet.
VOLTA TRUCKS RAISES $260 MILLION TO FUND ELECTRIC VEHICLE LAUNCH | REUTERS
– Volta Trucks said on Friday that it had raised 230 million euros ($260 million) in Series C funding round, which will finance it through the launch of series production of its Volta Zero electric truck in late 2022.
– Stockholm-based Volta Trucks, which also operates in the UK, said that the funding round was led by hedge fund Luxor Capital, which had previously invested in Volta Trucks.
– Protoypes of the Volta Zero, a 16-tonne fully-electric truck, will be delivered to customers in mid-2022, with series production due to start in late 2022.
– The company said its order book now exceeds 5,000 vehicles with a value of 1.2 billion euros.
2022 BYD ATTO 3 ELECTRIC SUV: AUSTRALIAN PRICING AND FEATURES
– BYD’s local distributor, EVDirect, has launched its long-awaited first mass market EV, the Atto 3 with a headline drive-away price of $44,990.
– As long as you live in Tasmania.
– From launch there are two versions available: the 50kWh battery-equipped Atto 3, which has a base price of $44,381, and the 60kWh, which starts at $47,381. All prices appear to be before any state-based incentives.
– At a red carpet event tonight in Sydney, EVDirect CEO Luke Todd announced a $500 million finance deal with Taurus Motor Finance, and is offering in-house finance at 4.99 per cent – equating to around $200 per week over five years.
– all transactions are online, deliveries and servicing are via MyCar services centres
– EVDirect has the capability to produce 15,000 Atto 3s for the Australian market with the option to double capacity should demand outstrip supply.
– The Atto 3 is a front-wheel-drive compact SUV and will go into battle with its Chinese compatriot, the MG ZS EV
– BYD’s Blade battery powers both versions. The 50kWh has a WLTP range of 320 kilometres and the 60kWh 420km
– DC charging maxes out at 80kW
– electric front seats, a huge 12.8-inch media screen, which can rotate between portrait and landscape views, a solid safety package, sunroof, eight-speaker Dirac stereo and up to 1330 litres of cargo space.
Original Source : https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/byd-atto-3-australian-pricing-announced
DONGFENG SUBSIDIARY ‘VOYAH’ PREPARES FOR EUROPEAN LAUNCH – ELECTRIVE.COM
– The Dongfeng brand Voyah has announced its intention to deliver the first electric cars in Europe this year. The market launch is planned with the electric SUV ‘Free’ in Norway, with other countries and models to follow later.
– sales of the electric SUV ‘Free’ are to start in Norway in June, with the first European deliveries planned for the fourth quarter of 2022. In June, the first Voyah showroom outside China will be opened, with a location planned in the centre of Oslo.
– The Voyah Free is a 4.90-metre-long electric SUV that is offered with three drive options. The rear-wheel-drive version has an output of 255 kW and an NEDC range of 505 kilometres with the 88 kWh battery. The all-wheel-drive model produces 510 kW and uses the same battery for 475 kilometres.
TWISTED EV DEFENDER: YOURS FOR A QUARTER OF A MILLION | CAR MAGAZINE
– Renowned classic Defender restorers and customisers Twisted are now offering full-electric 4x4s based on the iconic Land Rover. It’s been created in response to demand for a zero-emissions version for Twisted customers who drive in other pollution-sensitive areas such as London’s ULEZ.
– The same specially-developed electric powertrain can be fitted into 90, 110 and 130 versions of the Defender body. It involves a choice of 61 or 81kWh battery, a motor making 268bhp and 885lb ft of torque.
– The smaller battery can give a range of 140 miles, while the bigger battery could give 180 miles.
– There’s also been special attention paid to battery cooling and heating systems, to ensure the car works in extreme conditions, and it has a claimed wading depth of 900mm.
– Prices start from £225,000 plus VAT. Twisted previously offered conversions of combustion-engined Defenders into EVs, but this new project has been designed from the ground up – although the end result is remarkably similar in spirit and in detail to combustion-engined Defenders.
INGENITY DAY BOAT DUNKS ELECTRIC SKATEBOARD TECH IN THE WATER
– Florida’s Ingenity has followed up its rowdy electric Super Air Nautique 22E multi-sport boat with the more humble 23E day boat.
– By packaging its e-drive hardware below the waterline, it’s also created a cleaner, more spacious triple-lounge deck for the captain and his or her 10 closest friends to enjoy during long, electric-driven days on the water.
– With a 126-kWh battery pack, the new 23E only carries two extra kilowatt-hours of capacity compared to what the GS22E was holding when we looked at it in 2021. But since it’s tuned for full-day cruising as opposed to fast, furious, adrenaline-driven water sports, the 23E can stay out on the water for as long as 14 hours during low-speed cruising
– Those who simply must punch the throttle and show off their quiet, capable e-boat for their water-top neighbors can expect the 23E to accelerate up to 26 knots (48 km/h). It just won’t be doing those sprints all day.
– The 23E’s battery charges in as little as an hour and a half at an 80-kW supercharger
– The 23E made its world premiere at this week’s Miami International Boat Show and is available for preorder now. At US$235,000
Original Source : https://newatlas.com/marine/ingenity-22e-electric-day-boat/
MORE ELECTRIC CARS ARE NOW SOLD PER WEEK THAN IN ALL OF 2012 | WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM
– In 2012, the nascent electric vehicle (EV) market was starting to gain momentum, with global sales of 130,000 cars. Today, that number of electric cars is sold every week.
– While the market for petrol and diesel cars has been dampened by the economic fallout from COVID-19, demand for EVs continues to increase.
– Market momentum has continued, with EV sales more than doubling on the year in 2021 to 6.6 million – accounting for almost 9% of the global market. All net growth in car sales around the world in that year came from electric vehicles.
– There are now around 16 million electric cars on the world’s roads, according to an IEA estimate.
Original Source : https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/02/electric-cars-sales-evs/
FOREIGN AUTOMAKERS SEE THEIR CHANCE IN JAPAN WITH ELECTRIC VEHICLES | REUTERS
– Nine tenths of the five million cars sold annually in Japan are from domestic firms such as Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T), Honda Motor Co (7267.T) and Nissan Motor Co .
– But while overall car sales in Japan, not including small light vehicles, dipped 3.2% last year, sales of foreign models rose 1.7%. Imports of battery EVs jumped almost three times to a record 8,610 vehicles, according to the Japan Automobile Importers Association.
– Analysts estimate around half of those were Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) cars. Volkswagen, Europe’s biggest carmaker, is one of the foreign makers that see a battery-EV opening in Japan.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Tesla recently updated the Model Y Standard Range and the 0-60 time slowed by 1.5 seconds. There was a time when Tesla fans dismissed any other EV because they weren’t quick enough, but when making a pucharsing decision, how important do you personally rate performance.
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL