Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 18th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER PAT SAINDON. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
VW ID.4 GETTING PLUG & CHARGE, BIDIRECTIONAL CHARGING THIS SUMMER
– VW Group CEO Herbert Diess hosted an AMA session yesterday on Reddit and got asked more than 1,000 questions.
– While he couldn’t possibly answer all of them, he did offer some long-awaited updates for VW ID.4 owners, especially those in the United States. As it turns out, an important software update the automaker has promised last year is finally arriving this summer.
– “We will have a major OTA update for the ID.4 coming this summer, which will add features like Plug & Charge and Auto Hold, as well as a higher capacity onboard charge capability.”
– The update will arrive in Vehicle to Home (V2H) form, which means ID.4 owners will be able to power their appliances from the car or the entire house in case of a blackout. Diess stopped short of offering specific details, so it will be interesting to see how VW compares to the Hyundai E-GMP platform output of 2-4 kW.
– “Bidirectional charging will be available this year for all ID. Models with 77 kWh battery, also via OTA update. In the beginning we will only offer Vehicle-to-home. This means you can run your dishwasher with electricity from abroad.”
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/568191/vw-id4-plugcharge-bidirectional-charging/
VOLKSWAGEN SETS EYES ON $22K EV
– The 63-year old CEO also talked about simplifying the company structure and adopting a Tesla-like working style in which different engineering teams work together in the company.
“Volkswagen will remain a multi-brand mobility company working worldwide and being present in many segments. To reduce complexity we are focusing on platforms, even more in the future,” Diess said.
Volkswagen is banking on its next-generation mechatronics platform Scalable Systems Platform, or SSP, betting on CARIAD for its software needs and aiming to lower battery costs by up to 50% with a unified cells approach.
“But yes, in some segments we are still too complex in our product offering. We are making good progress in reducing complexity.”
Original Source : https://www.benzinga.com/news/22/02/25680772/volkswagen-sets-eyes-on-22k-ev-as-it-looks-to-rival-tesla-ceo-says-focus-on-simplifying-company-stru
VOLKSWAGEN ELECTRIC CARS TO POWER HOMES BY END 2022: DIESS
– Volkswagen first introduced a 22kW bidirectional DC charging station in 2020, which it deployed across 20 sites for testing. It is also dependent on regulatory approval by authorities and utility operators; V2H and V2G (vehicle-to-grid)-capable Nissan Leafs have been deployed in Japan where concerns about energy security amid typhoons, cyclones and nuclear disasters have driven its approval, but its use is still sparse on a global scale. The capability differs from “vehicle-to-load” introduced by Hyundai and Kia in the Ioniq 5 and EV6, enabling owners to plug directly to the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery to power devices like kettles and lights when camping, or recharge batteries in electric bikes and power tools for example.
– Diess said that another software upgrade would enable “plug and charge” in the ID.4 my mid-2022, as well as faster charging and “autohold” which maintains the pressure applied in braking to make stopping and starting in traffic a more pleasant experience. “We will have a major OTA update for the ID.4 coming this summer, which will add features like Plug&Charge and AutoHold, as well as a higher capacity onboard charge capability,” he wrote.
Original Source : https://thedriven.io/2022/02/17/volkswagen-electric-cars-to-power-homes-by-end-2022-diess/
VW CEO HINTS AT ELECTRIC PICKUP TRUCK AND SEDANS DURING REDDIT AMA | CARSCOOPS
– Diess said the most emotional vehicle in Volkswagen’s history is “definitely the micro bus,” so his “first priority” was creating the ID.Buzz which will be unveiled next month. However, he admitted “many other emotional cars are possible on our scalable MEB platform.”
– Diess reiterated the company is “working on electric cars around 20k euros for entry segments.” Of course, this isn’t really news as Volkswagen unveiled the ID.Life concept at the 2021 Munich Motor Show and noted it “provides a preview of an ID. model in the small car segment that we will be launching in 2025, priced at around 20,000 euros.”
Original Source : https://www.carscoops.com/2022/02/vw-group-ceo-hints-at-electric-sedans-and-a-pickup-truck-during-reddit-ama/
– On Lidar, Diess surprisingly took a different tack than his friend, Tesla CEO Elon Musk, who is adamant that Robotaxis can be made from only vision systems.
– Diess remarked that Lidar, or more specifically redundant perception, was integral to getting to Level 3 autonomy, saying:
“Lidar technology is still expensive, but todays the only way to offer redundant perception to the 360 camera systems which are a must. Safety is really crucial in autonomous driving. For level 3 driving you need redundant perception.”
– He clarified that Level 3 autonomy “requires” redundant Lidar perception. Volkswagen has partnered with MobileEye for its Lidar systems, which have been dropping in price.
“Yes, definitely level 3 requires redundant Lidar perception.”
– As for the when, Diess was a little less specific than Tesla’s “this year” timespan.
“autonomous driving is the biggest gamechanger for the automotive industry. we will be able to drive our customers safe and comfortably. This will be a gradual process from taking over responsibility on open highways in good weather conditions getting to more complex environments and weather situations worldwide. So this will be a long process of competition for a long period to come. We are building up competencies to become a serious competitor in this race.”
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2022/02/16/vw-ceo-diess-disagrees-with-tesla-ceo-elon-musk-saying-l3-autonomy-requires-lidar-plus-vw-ev-pickup-summer-ota-and-more/
FORD TO RELEASE ELECTRIC PUMA – ELECTRIVE.COM
– Ford plans an all-electric version of its Puma small car slated for launch in the 2025 model year. The electric Puma will adopt the drive technology from the electric version of the upcoming Ford Transit Courier.
– According to the Australian portal Drive, Ford wants to launch the electric Transit Courier in 2024. With the introduction of the 2025 model year (which usually takes place in the second half of the previous year), the electric Puma would follow shortly afterwards.
– The report does not mention possible technical data on the drive for the panel van and the Puma. However, the information that Drive claims to have seen indicates that the electric Puma will not be a new generation of the small SUV but an electric version of the familiar model – using the same internal codename.
– Apart from the name, the SUV no longer has anything to do with Ford’s small sports coupe in 1997.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/02/17/ford-to-release-electric-puma/
FORD, VOLVO JOIN REDWOOD MATERIALS BATTERY RECYCLING PROGRAM
– Redwood Materials, the startup founded by former Tesla CTO JB Straubel, is launching an electric vehicle battery recycling program in California with Ford and Volvo as inaugural partners as pressure mounts to source materials for EVs.
– The basic plan is that Redwood Materials will work with dealers and dismantlers in California to recover end-of-life battery packs in hybrid and electric vehicles. Straubel said the program will be free for those turning in vehicle batteries. The cost of retrieving, properly packaging and then transporting the batteries back to Redwood’s recycling facility in northern Nevada will be shared by the startup along with partners Volvo and Ford. Redwood will accept all lithium-ion and nickel metal hydride batteries in the state, regardless of the make or model of the vehicle.
– Redwood has launched a portal that scrapyards and dealers can use to organize the retrieval of the batteries.
– Earlier this year, existing partner Panasonic announced that battery cells made at the Gigafactory it operates with Tesla will use more recycled materials by the end of 2022 as part of an expanded relationship with Redwood Materials.
Original Source : https://techcrunch.com/2022/02/17/ford-volvo-join-redwood-materials-to-launch-free-ev-battery-recycling-program-in-california/
TESLA FACES ANOTHER US INVESTIGATION: UNEXPECTED BRAKING | AP NEWS
– U.S. auto safety regulators have launched another investigation of Tesla, this time tied to complaints that its cars can stop on roads for no apparent reason.
– The government says it has 354 complaints from owners during the past nine months about “phantom braking” in Tesla Models 3 and Y. The probe covers an estimated 416,000 vehicles from the 2021 and 2022 model years.
– Documents posted Thursday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration say the vehicles can unexpectedly brake at highway speeds.
– Many owners in the complaints say they feared a rear-end crash on a freeway.
– In one of the complaints, a Tesla owner from Austin, Texas, reported that a Model Y on Autopilot brakes repeatedly for no reason on two-lane roads and freeways.
– “The phantom braking varies from a minor throttle response to decrease speed to full emergency braking that drastically reduces the speed at a rapid pace
Original Source : https://apnews.com/article/technology-business-lifestyle-13dcbfd79de79cb1f4358c3f716e64ae
TESLA CHANGES S.KOREA ADS AFTER ANTITRUST PROBE FAULTED BATTERIES | REUTERS
– Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) changed an advertisement about the driving range for its Model 3 in South Korea after an antitrust regulator found that the automaker exaggerated the specifications of its batteries.
– The Model 3 sedan description on Tesla’s Korean-language web site was changed to say the vehicle is capable of travelling a “maximum” of 528 kilometres (328 miles) on a single charge, from “more than” 528 kilometres, screen shots captured by local media showed.
– The description for Hyundai Motor Co’s (005380.KS) Ioniq 5 midsize crossover also states its range as travelling a “maximum” 429km on a single charge.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-changes-skorea-ads-after-antitrust-probe-faulted-batteries-2022-02-18/
TESLA TO START OFFERING CHEAPER ‘ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTIONS’ ON PREMIUM CONNECTIVITY AND MORE
– Today Tesla updated its app to version 4.6 for iOS. This update contains additional features such as actionable notifications, which allow you to perform certain actions by interacting with the notification.
– For example, when preheating your vehicle, you’ll be given the option to turn off the climate system directly from the notification.
– , it looks like Tesla will soon offer annual subscriptions that are cheaper than their monthly counterparts. Tesla currently offers monthly subscription plans for FSD and Premium Connectivity, but it looks like Tesla will soon offer you a discount if you choose to pay annually instead.
Original Source : https://www.notateslaapp.com/software-updates/upcoming-features/id/703/tesla-to-offer-cheaper-annual-subscriptions-on-fsd-and-premium-connectivity
APTERA IS TUNING ITS 1,000-MILE EV—AND IT CAN OUTRUN SOME SPORTS CARS
– Aptera recently provided an update on development of its electric 3-wheeler, releasing a pair of videos showing a test mule being put through its paces at California’s Chuckwalla Valley Raceway.
– The stripped-down vehicle shown here is a “beta” prototype, representing the second of four phases of development, Aptera noted. It follows the initial “alpha” prototypes, and will be followed by production-intent vehicles designated “gamma.” Customer cars will be designated “delta.”
– The development team also staged a drag race pitting the alpha and beta prototypes against a Tesla Model 3 and Audi R8—the latter a bona fide supercar. In a video of the race, the R8 and beta prototype appear to be neck-and-neck at the finish line.
– A 700-watt solar array will help supplement battery packs up to 100 kwh, allowing a range of up to 1,000 miles in that configuration, Aptera has claimed. While the Aptera has a conventional charge port, Aptera is pitching the 3-wheeler as a “never charge” vehicle that can in daily use with the right conditions be powered primarily from these built-in solar panels.
Original Source : https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1135102_aptera-is-tuning-its-1-000-mile-ev-and-it-can-outrun-some-sports-cars
BENEFITS OF EV CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT
– The Milwaukee, Wisconsin-based Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM) says heavy equipment users are finding qualities they like with newer electrically powered models, but operators also need to be mindful of some new responsibilities.
– Nearly every major construction equipment manufacturer has electric vehicles (EVs) in their current production catalogue.
– EVs don’t produce any local emissions, so they can be operated indoors where they replace manual labor, thereby increasing productivity. They also produce less noise, so they can be used in noise-restricted environments. And, since they can be used in more applications, owners of electric-powered construction equipment will be able to work on more and more diverse projects.
Original Source : https://www.cdrecycler.com/article/aem-volvo-brokk-electric-equipment-construction-demolition/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Tesla recently updated the Model Y Standard Range and the 0-60 time slowed by 1.5 seconds. There was a time when Tesla fans dismissed any other EV because they weren’t quick enough, but when making a pucharsing decision, how important do you personally rate performance.
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL