Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 17th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER JOSEPH GRANDOMINICO. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
2022 BMW IX XDRIVE50 EPA RANGE
– The all-new BMW iX xDrive50 has been officially listed on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) website, showing the range and efficiency numbers for each of three wheel sizes (20″, 21″, 22″).
– 20″ wheels (235/60R20 108H XL): 324 miles (521 km) 21″ wheels (255/50R21 109H XL): 305 miles (491 km) 22″ wheels (275/40R22 107Y): 315 miles (507 km)
– All of the versions are equipped with a 111.5 kWh battery (105.2 kWh net usable).
– If we compare the EPA efficiency of the BMW iX xDrive50 with some of the other models, it turns out that it’s not bad – somewhere between the refreshed Model X and Audi e-tron.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/567864/bmw-ix-xdrive50-epa-range/
2022 BMW I4 EPA RANGE
– The all-new BMW i4 (eDrive40 and M50 versions) has been officially listed on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) website
– The EPA Combined range numbers are inline with BMW’s announcement (see full report here): BMW i4 eDrive40
18″ wheels (225/50R18): 301 miles (484 km)
19″ wheels (245/40R19 / 255/40R19): 282 miles (454 km)
BMW i4 M50
19″ wheels (245/40R19 / 255/40R19): 270 miles (434 km)
20″ wheels (255/35R20 / 285/30R20): 227 miles (365 km)
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/567901/bmw-i4-epa-range-efficiency/
2022 FORD MUSTANG MACH-E EPA
– All versions of the 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E received the official EPA range and efficiency ratings, which are slightly higher than in the previous model year
– The range numbers are in line with Ford’s info (see full report here), which in December revealed that the usable battery capacity of the 2022 Mach-E will be a bit higher (by 2 kWh or 3 kWh, depending on the battery version – Standard Range/Extended Range).
– The 2022 Mach-E with Standard Range battery (70 kWh usable capacity) has noticeably higher range:
Select SR RWD 18″ – 247 mi (397 km) – up by 17 mi (27 km)/7.4% from 230 mi
Select SR AWD 18″ – 224 mi (360 km) – up by 13 mi (21 km)/6.2% from 211 mi
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/567953/2022-ford-mache-range-efficiency/
MG5 ELECTRIC TO RELEASE IN EUROPE IN MARCH – ELECTRIVE.COM
– MG Motor has announced the market launch of its MG5 Electric station wagon in continental Europe in March. While UK prices are yet unknown, German prices will start at 38,490 euros. A cheaper base model is to follow later.
– At market launch, the MG5 Electric will be available with a 61.1 kWh battery and a WLTP range of 400 kilometres in combination with a 115 kW motor driving the front wheels. This is the so-called ‘Maximum’ model.
– The AC charging power is 11 kW regardless of the installed battery. In addition, both batteries are capable of charging with up to 87 kW
FORD BARKS UP TESLA’S TREE, CONSIDERING DOG MODE–STYLE PET FEATURE
– Less than three years after Tesla offered its owners Dog Mode—which kept the car’s HVAC running while parked to keep furry friends locked inside comfy—via an Over The Air (OTA) update, Ford has come out with its own patent for a Pet Mode. While this was discovered by the Lightning Owners forum, the patent hints that it could be used in conventionally powered vehicles, seemingly so long as they have some form of remote starting and an onboard data connection.
– Tesla’s Dog Mode displays a message on the central touchscreen to let anyone looking into the car that the animal inside is comfortable and their owner plans to return momentarily.
– Instead of using the touch screen to engage Ford’s setup, you can either use the FordPass app on your phone or hit the paw-shaped button on your key fob to engage it, in either case from outside the car. Another difference? Ford’s patent describes the windows opening a crack to allow some air to pass through, as well as the sunroof, if so equipped. It will also fold the rear seats flat so your pet has a large place to lay down.
– another key differentiator from Tesla’s Dog Mode is that you can add an RFID chip to Fido’s collar. When pet mode is in use, the vehicle will sense this RFID to know when your pet is in or out of the vehicle. If it senses that it’s not there for a certain amount of time, your Ford will turn off pet mode and go back to its normally parked state.
– This patent has been in the works since 2018, before Tesla’s Dog Mode was even a thing, and we’ve yet to see it in action.
Original Source : https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-patent-dog-pet-mode-feature/
APPLE PARTNER INVESTS IN EV PRODUCTION AS APPLE CAR RUMORS GROW | IMORE
– One of Apple’s key supply chain partners has announced that it is getting into the EV market.
– As reported by Nikkei Asia, Chinese electronic parts supplier Luxshare Precision Industry has announced a joint venture with the Chery group to develop and manufacture electric vehicles. The company, which currently assembles Airpods for Apple, will get into the EV market in the next three months
– Luxshare will take a 30% stake in the new company, with the rest to be owned by Chery Automobile electric-vehicle unit Chery New Energy, under recently announced plans. The venture is to be established within the next three months with a capitalization of around 1.7 billion yuan ($267 million). Its vehicles will not sport Luxshare’s brand.
– While Luxshare is primarily known as one of Apple’s key supply chain partners for AirPods, the company also began assembling iPhones in 2021 and is in the middle of building a new plant to support its partnership with the company.
SOLAR-POWERED ELECTRIC CAR THAT CAN BE DRIVEN ‘FOR MONTHS WITHOUT CHARGING’ GOES ON SALE – DRIVE
– The Lightyear One, a solar-powered electric vehicle designed in the Netherlands and recently tested in Italy, completed 400km on a single charge while driving at a constant speed of 130km/h.
– Regular driving will result in range of 725km (WLTP), according to the manufacturer.
– Thanks to its array of solar panels harvesting energy from the sun to charge the 60kWh battery, the Lightyear One is, according to its maker, able to live off-the-grid.
– The Lightyear One is being manufactured in Finland. First deliveries, restricted to Europe, are expected to start mid-2022. It’s priced at €150,000
– global automotive leasing company, LeasePlan, recently reserved 5000 Lightyear Twos to add to its fleet of 1.8 million vehicle
AITO M5, JOINTLY BUILT BY SERES AND HUAWEI, EXPECTED TO SEE MASS DELIVERIES IN MARCH – CNEVPOST
– The AITO M5 model, built by Chongqing Sokon’s brand Seres in partnership with Huawei, will be delivered in large quantities in March to fulfill its commitment to customers, the Shanghai Securities News quoted a Seres source as saying today.
– Seres’ factories kept production going during the Chinese New Year holiday, and more than 1,000 vehicles for test drives and demonstrations have already arrived in stores, including nearly 400 Huawei experience stores and more than 100 Seres user centers, according to the report.
– AITO’s channel will reach 1,200 experience stores and more than 300 user centers, the report said.
BUICK TEASES UPCOMING DEBUT OF ITS FIRST U.S. BATTERY-ELECTRIC VEHICLE – THE DETROIT BUREAU
– Following up on its “Dr EV-il” ad aired during Sunday’s Super Bowl, GM has tweeted out a tease of a “groovy electric future” for Buick that will get into motion over the summer with the debut of its first U.S. BEV.
– The teaser image shows a small detail of a lighting assembly for what is all but certain to be an all-electric crossover, considering Buick has now dropped all sedans and coupes from its North American line-up.
– The automaker already has a family of plug-based models on sale in what is now the world’s largest market for electrified vehicles. That includes the Velite 5 plug-in hybrid sedan, the Velite 6 crossover which is available as both a plug-in and pure BEV, and the Velite 7 EV crossover.
– Buick might prefer to bring back the once-popular Electra badge which would clearly have a new and even more appropriate meaning with an all-electric vehicle. The automaker filed for a trademark on that name last December.
TESLA PUSHES EARLY MODEL X REFRESH ORDERS BACK TO JULY 2022
– Tesla Model X Refresh orders that were placed in late 2020 and 2021 are being pushed back to July 2022. Several Tesla customers that ordered the Model X’s new design prior to initial deliveries had their delivery dates pushed back this morning, solidifying CEO Elon Musk’s synopsis that Tesla “dropped the ball” on the all-electric SUV’s manufacturing ramp.
– The Model S made its first deliveries last June, while the Model X made its way to customers for the first time in October. Deliveries did not last long, however, as many owners indicated that their projected delivery dates had been pushed back to late 2021 or early 2022.
Now, several Model X orderers are communicating that Tesla pushed back their delivery dates to July 2022. Each of these orders took place between December 2020 to June 2021.
– Musk said earlier in February that Tesla’s main limiting factor for the Model X is interior trim availability. Tesla decided recently to scrap some Model X Plaid interior seating options, limiting this configuration’s possible layout to the six-seat selection only. Sources told us that the main factor for this decision was Plaid orders seem to have the six-seat selection most often, so Tesla is streamlining the manufacturing process to pick up the pace on deliveries.
TESLA IS FACING POTENTIAL PENALTIES IN KOREA FOR ‘OVERSTATING’ THE RANGE OF ITS EVS –
– This week, the KFTC confirmed that it sent a report to Tesla claiming that the automaker exaggerated the range of some of its models, including Model 3, which it believes to be a violation of the “Act on Fair Labeling and Advertising.”
– Interestingly, the problem appears to be the drop in range in freezing temperature:
Tesla, on its website, says its Model 3 can travel 528 km (328 miles) on a single charge. The KFTC says however that the range may fall short of that should the temperature drop below freezing.
– There’s no perfect way to advertise the range of an electric car – countries use different test cycles based on different standards to get an idea of the range and efficiency of specific models.
BORGWARNER’S ALL-NEW 800-VOLT INTEGRATED ELECTRIC DRIVE MODULE
– BorgWarner has secured a contract with a Chinese luxury new energy vehicle (NEV) brand to supply its new integrated drive module (iDM) equipped with its compact 800V silicon carbide (SiC) inverter and hairpin electric motor.
– The compact 800V iDM220 consists of electric motor, inverter and gearbox. Its platform offers high integration and efficiency, and covers power requirements from 160kW to 300kW
ALMOST HALF UK DRIVERS WOULD TAKE AN ELECTRIC CAR DRIVING LESSON
– Almost half of motorists in the UK would take an electric car lesson if such things were offered by driving schools, according to new research. A study by the AA found 44 percent of qualified UK drivers would like the chance of an electric vehicle (EV) lesson to boost their knowledge of the new tech.
– The survey of more than 13,000 drivers revealed younger drivers and those in London were among the most likely to be interested in EV driving lessons. Half (49 percent) of 18-24-year-olds questioned said they would be interested in an electric car lesson, while 53 percent of Londoners said the same thing.
– As the government’s 2030 ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars looms, the AA Driving School has called on the authorities to update the Highway Code to include more information about electric vehicles. The code has already been updated to add a warning in the ‘waiting and parking’ section to remind drivers that EV charging cables can be a trip hazard on the pavement, but this is the only inclusion thus far.
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/567180/uk-drivers-electric-car-lessons/
RECORD NUMBER OF SHOPPERS CONSIDERING HYBRIDS, ELECTRIC VEHICLES – KELLEY BLUE BOOK
– Hybrids and electric cars have gone mainstream. In the fourth quarter of last year, 28% of car shoppers considered at least one of the two. Several hybrids or electric vehicles (EVs) earned a close look from more car shoppers than any gasoline-powered vehicle of their type.
– Twenty percent of shoppers looking for a new car between October and December considered a hybrid or plug-in hybrid, up from 18% in the third quarter. Thirteen percent considered an EV, up from 9%.
– In the fourth quarter, the Tesla Model 3 was the most shopped of all luxury vehicles. The Model Y was the most-shopped luxury SUV.
– EV-only startups Rivian, Lucid, and Polestar made their first appearances in the Brand Watch studies. But they remain small, competing with boutique luxury automakers who don’t aim for mainstream numbers. Just 2% of luxury shoppers considered Rivian and Lucid in the fourth quarter of 2021. By comparison, Jaguar was at 3%. Nearly 1% shopped Polestar — about the same that considered Alfa Romeo and Maserati.
SOUTH KOREAN EV BATTERY ENGINEERS BEING INCREASINGLY TARGETED – BUSINESSKOREA
– More and more foreign electric vehicle battery companies are trying to take engineers from South Korean companies, that is, LG Energy Solution, SK On and Samsung SDI. At the same time, the former are demanding technology transfer from the latter more than ever.
– In the past, they used to focus on executives at the major electric vehicle battery manufacturers. These days, the focus has been expanded to cover staff members at companies supplying materials and equipment in the industry.
Original Source : http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html
NIO SAYS ITS FLEXIBLE BATTERY UPGRADE SERVICE HAS ACCUMULATED OVER 8,700 USERS – CNEVPOST
– NIO’s models support battery swap, which allows owners of small-capacity battery models to replace their batteries with larger ones. The company offers services to facilitate this, and now it has released data on the number of users who have experienced them.
– To date, a total of more than 8,700 customers in China have opted for the battery flexibility upgrade, NIO said today.
NIO’s flexible battery upgrade service allows users to upgrade their batteries on a monthly and annual basis, providing a lower-cost, high-capacity battery experience for their personalized travel, NIO said.
– Of those who upgraded their batteries on a monthly basis, 94 percent chose to place their orders before the Chinese New Year holiday, with January 15 being the day with the most such orders, according to NIO.
– NIO’s battery packs currently include a standard range version with 70-kWh or 75-kWh capacity, and a long-range version with 100-kWh capacity.
ITALY OKS $9B IN ENERGY AID; INCLUDES EV INCENTIVES | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS EUROPE
– The Italian government approved almost 8 billion euros ($9 billion) in aid to shield consumers and companies from soaring energy prices that are weighing on the economic outlook, including 1 billion euros for the automotive industry.
– The package includes:
A fund to support the green transition in the car sector with 1 billion euros per year for eight years, including incentives to buy electric and dual-fuel cars
– The government said earlier this week that it would earmark hundreds of millions of euros to support a battery factory planned by Stellantis in Termoli, southern Italy.
NEW ELECTRIC VEHICLE 350KW HIGH-POWER CHARGING HUB OPENS IN WALES | ELECTRIC FLEET NEWS
– Wales’ first high-powered electric vehicle (EV) charging hub has opened in Swansea as part of Gridserve and Moto’s UK-wide roll out of charging infrastructure.
– The Electric Hub, part of the Gridserve Electric Highway has six 350kW high-power EV charge points, with the ability to add a further six charge points when required.
– Currently, Wales has one of the lowest numbers of EV charge points per head of population in the UK and Southwest Wales – where Gridserve’s Electric Hub is located – has just half the average proportion of EVs when compared to the rest of the UK.
– The Welsh government’s Electric Vehicle Charging Strategy for Wales commits to delivering 4,000 rapid chargers across the country over the next decade – of which just 3% are already installed.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Tesla recently updated the Model Y Standard Range and the 0-60 time slowed by 1.5 seconds. There was a time when Tesla fans dismissed any other EV because they weren’t quick enough, but when making a pucharsing decision, how important do you personally rate performance.
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL