Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 16th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON EXECUTIVE PRODUCER NATHAN KING. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
NEW 2022 GENESIS GV60 CONFIRMED FOR LAUNCH IN EUROPE THIS YEAR | AUTO EXPRESS
– Genesis, the Hyundai Group’s premium spin-off brand, has announced that its pure-electric GV60 coupe-SUV will go on sale in Europe later this year.
– Key rivals include the Audi Q4 e-tron, Tesla Model Y and Jaguar I-Pace.
– The Genesis GV60 is built on the same E-GMP underpinnings as the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5. It’s powered by a 77.4kWh battery pack, which offers a maximum range of 280 miles with the entry-level, single-motor, rear-wheel drive model.
– Prices for all three models in the SUV’s line-up will be confirmed closer to the car’s European launch date.
– At the top of the GV60 line-up, there’s an even faster Sport Plus variant. It shares the same dual-motor powertrain as the Kia EV6 GT, which means it produces 429bhp and 605Nm of torque. Genesis says this model will sprint from 0–62mph in four seconds flat
– Boost Mode. It’s activated by a button on the steering wheel, and gives the EV an extra 54bhp and 95Nm of torque to improve overtaking performance.
– Drift Mode, which sounds a little out of place on an electric SUV. Genesis hasn’t gone into too much detail about how the system works, but we know it alters the torque split of the all-wheel drive system to send more power to the rear motor.
– 10 to 80 per cent in just 18 minutes, while the car’s maximum AC charging performance (for home charging, for example) has been increased from 7.2kW to 11kW, compared to its Hyundai and Kia-badged siblings.
– The infra-red camera picks up the user’s face and automatically loads their pre-saved seat and mirror positions, infotainment and head-up display preferences.
– The GV60 can also wirelessly receive upgrades for systems such as the suspension, brakes, steering wheel, driver assistance technology and the central brain that controls the car’s electric motors and charging system.
GM KEEPS ORION ASSEMBLY IDLE UNTIL SPRING, LEAVING NO NEW BOLTS TO BUY | DETROIT FREE PRESS
– General Motors will keep its Orion Assembly plant idle for another month and a half.
– On Tuesday, GM said it will restart production of its Chevrolet Bolt and Bolt EUV April 4 as it continues to fix defective batteries as part of a global recall on the cars.
– “Our unprecedented decision to idle Bolt EV and EUV production over the past months has enabled us to prioritize battery module replacements,” said GM spokesman Dan Flores. “As a result, we’ve made replacements available to Bolt EV owners who were in our high priority groups.”
– Flores said once a dealer receives a Bolt EV or EUV made after April 4, they can sell those vehicles immediately. Recalled vehicles on dealer lots are on stop-sale and will need to have their battery modules replaced before they can be sold.
– Orion will build the electric versions of the light-duty 2024 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups alongside the Bolts when the expansion is complete late next year.
MERCEDES-AMG EQE 53 CHARGES IN WITH 677 HP | INSIDEEVS
– Mercedes now has two AMG-badged EVs with the introduction of the new EQE 53 4Matic+ that joins the EQS 53. As standard it has 617 horsepower and 701 pound-feet (950 Nm), but you can have that increased to 677 horsepower and 738 pound-feet (1,000 Nm) with the optional AMG Dynamic Plus package.
– With the pack, the EQE 53’s sprint time to 60 mph drops from 3.4 seconds to 3.2 seconds and top speed is upped from 137 mph to 149 mph. Powering all of this performance is a 90.6 kWh battery pack that is made up of ten modules totalling 360 pouch-type cells whose chemistry is less reliant on cobalt.
– The EQE 53 can be charged at a maximum rate of 170 kW, and according to the manufacturer, this will add 112 miles (180 km) of range in 15 minutes. Its WLTP range (EPA numbers not yet available) is up to 518 km (321 miles).
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/567718/mercedes-eqe53-amg-sports-sedan/
2024 POLESTAR 5 DETAILS EMERGE | EVO
– Polestar has revealed new insight into its forthcoming Polestar 5, a luxury four-door sports saloon developed to rival the Porsche Taycan, Audi e-Tron GT and Tesla Model S.
– , in 2024, Polestar 5 will be introduced, which is where things get really exciting.
– That’s because the sleek four-door saloon will be built on Polestar’s own bespoke architecture, a brand new bonded aluminium structure being developed here in the UK, with expertise derived from brands such as McLaren, Aston Martin and Lotus – not to mention a few of the F1 teams dotted around the countryside.
– Polestar’s British R&D team started out small, with just 81 staff in 2018, but will grow extremely quickly with the expansion of its UK facility, eventually supporting a staff count of 800 by the end of this year.
– Polestar will fit a low-line battery pack with a scoop taken out of the rear passenger section – as is found in the Porsche Taycan – but Polestar will allow for more rear legroom than the Porsche, something that will be mirrored in the 5’s ultimate chassis tune with a more relaxed GT-like setup being initially prioritised.
2024 POLESTAR 5 WILL DEBUT THE BRAND’S FIRST IN-HOUSE EV PLATFORM | THE DRIVE
– Polestar says the 5 will boast segment-leading handling, rigidity, and safety thanks to this new in-house chassis. Torsional rigidity is supposedly higher than a “traditional two-seat sports- or supercar” while the weight is apparently lower than that of smaller cars
– What’s more, a new manufacturing process lets the company build the Polestar 5’s platform and body simultaneously, cutting down on the time it takes to get a car on the road.
– Not only does this in-house platform enable the automaker to build the Polestar 5 quicker and have the car be stiffer and lighter, but it has also allowed the upcoming production EV to stick close to the Precept concept when it comes to aesthetics. Not a bad thing, given how good the Precept looks.
– While the Polestar 5 sedan is set to debut for the 2024 model year, the South Carolina-built Polestar 3 crossover is going to launch sometime this year.
HYUNDAI, KIA WIN AMID EUROPE’S EV SHIFT | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS EUROPE
– Korean brands, which enjoyed a good 2021, largely due to their electrified models. Hyundai and Kia were No 1 and No 2 in terms of share gainers among members of ACEA, the European automakers association.
– In some of the region’s top markets the good news continued into 2022 as in the UK, where Kia was the best-selling brand in January.
– It was fairly easy to overlook Korean automakers in Europe before EVs started to take off.
– Hyundai, Kia and Japanese brands like Toyota, Honda and Nissan did not quite replicate the success they had appealing to buyers in the U.S. over recent decades.
– Emilio Herrera, chief operating officer of Kia Europe, said early in the pandemic that Europe had become the focal point for its global EV sales growth.
SOUTH KOREA INCREASES SUBSIDY FUNDING POT FOR 2022 | ELECTRIVE.COM
– The Seoul city government said it will pay subsidies to buyers of about 14,200 electric vehicles during the first half of 2022, as part of its bid to support the purchase of 27,000 electric vehicles for the whole year.
– Under the funding scheme, electric passenger cars, a maximum subsidy of 9 million won (about US$7,520) will be paid, the government said, adding vehicles priced above 85 million won are excluded from subsidy support. Electric trucks will be given subsidies ranging from 9 million won to 27 million won.
NEW TESLA MODEL Y: FIRST CUSTOMERS TAKE DELIVERY IN UK | AUTOCAR
– The new Tesla Model Y has arrived in the UK and customers are taking delivery of the all-electric model at select events around the country.
– Handover events will take place at seven locations including Aerospace Bristol, the American Air Museum in Cambridge, the Imperial War Museum in Manchester, Clumber Park in Nottinghamshire and Oyster Catcher in Anglesey.
– Prices in the UK start from £54,990, rising to £64,990 for the Performance model.
BMW I5 EDRIVE40 AND BMW I5 M50 LIKELY PLANNED FOR 2023
– The 2023 BMW 5 Series G60/G61 generation will enter production in July 2023. The sedan will be the first to arrive, followed a year later by the touring models. As expected, the new 5 Series will rely heavily on electrified models.
– Since the G60 5 Series is built on the same flexible platform as the 4 Series / i4 models, it will also feature a similar electric lineup.
– According to sources, BMW will initially launch the following 5 Series BEV models: BMW i5 eDrive40, BMW i5 xDrive40 and BMW i5 M50. As you’ve noticed, BMW retains the naming convention from the i4 and will feature the same drivetrain and battery packs.
– With DC fast-charging, we expect the BMW i5 to charge at up to 200 kW, with just 10 minutes of charging at this speed giving the car 90 miles worth of juice.
– The electric range is also likely to fall within the range of the 4 Series electric. In that case, we expect to see at least 300 miles in the entry-level BMW i5. The BMW i5 M50 is likely to have a lower electric range, due to the higher power output. But it’s too soon to speculate on that without knowing the actual battery pack in the i5.
Original Source : https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/02/14/bmw-i5-edrive40-and-bmw-i5-m50-2023/
BREAKING: NIO CONFIRMS NEW MODEL ES7 TO BE UNVEILED IN APRIL | CNEVPOST
– NIO finally confirmed today that the new SUV ES7 will be announced soon.
– NIO will unveil the new model ES7 in April, which is positioned as a big five-seat pure electric SUV, between the ES6 and ES8, said Qin Lihong, co-founder and president of NIO.
– The model will be built on the NIO NT2.0 platform with the same level of intelligence as the ET5 and ET7 sedans, Qin said at a media event today, adding that the model will be delivered during this year.
– These spy photos do not show the NIO logo, but the roof lidar and camera setup is identical to the NIO ET7 and ET5 sedans. According to Qin today, the ES7 is expected to be equipped with the same smart driving hardware as the ET5, which is used in the ET7 model.
Original Source : https://cnevpost.com/2022/02/15/nio-to-unveil-es7-in-april/
ZENOBE SIGNS DEAL WITH UK’S NATIONAL EXPRESS FOR 130 ELECTRIC BUSES | ECONOMIC TIMES
– Zenobe has signed an agreement to provide 130 electric buses to public transport group National Express that will see the UK startup provide everything from new vehicles to charging infrastructure, replacement batteries and spare parts.
– The buses, made by NFI Group unit Alexander Dennis Limited (ADL) with powertrain and motor supplied by BYD Co Ltd, will be run by National Express in the British city of Coventry.
SYDNEY ORDERS 79 E-BUSES FROM CUSTOM DENNING | ELECTRIVE.COM
– Western Sydney-based company Custom Denning has been awarded a contract to design, manufacture and assembly 79 new electric buses to operate in Sydney. This is just part of a larger plan to fully decarbonise bus services in Australia’s largest city.
– The 79 electric buses will be manufactured in Custom Denning’s factory in St Mary’s in Sydney after which they are to be put into operation in Sydney’s inner west.
– The NSW Government is investing $70 million in the endeavour with the twofold purpose of both transitioning the state’s bus fleet to zero-emissions technology, as well as creating local manufacturing jobs in Western Sydney. In 2019 the Australian state of New South Wales (NSW) announced that it would decarbonise its 8,000-strong bus fleet.
THESE ARE 10 OF THE BEST ROAD-LEGAL PERFORMANCE EVS IN THE WORLD | TOP GEAR
– Rimac Nevera. Courtesy of a 120kWh battery, four electric motors, 1,914bhp and 1,740lb ft of torque, it’s capable of 0-60mph in 1.85 seconds, 100mph in 4.3secs, and 186mph in 9.3secs, on to 258mph.
– Pininfarina Battista. Under the Italian-sketched skin you’ll find the same electric gubbins as in the Nevera (the Croatian company supplies them), similar mind-blowing performance, and a limited run of just 150 units – plus a price tag of around £2 million apiece.
– Tesla Model S Plaid. With three electric motors, 1,020bhp and 1,050lb ft of torque, and the ability to cover a quarter-mile in 9.23-seconds on to a top speed of 200mph,
– Porsche Taycan Turbo S. Porsche’s first all-electric car comes in many fine flavours, ranging from the entry-level, single motor, RWD-only Taycan, to the top-spec, twin motor, AWD Taycan Turbo S.
– Audi RS e-tron GT. While its numbers are slightly less than the Taycan’s – 637bhp, 612lb ft, 0-62mph in 3.3 seconds, top speed 155mph – there’s still little that’ll out-accelerate you in a straight line. Our only disappointment? Audi isn’t following up with an estate version.
– Ford Mustang Mach-E GT. The go-faster GT generates 480bhp. And that matters, because it makes the Mach-E more powerful than the 5.0-litre V8 you’ll find in the Mustang Mach 1 coupe, and quicker from 0-62mph – 3.7secs plays 4.8secs
– Lotus Evija. Set to cost a heady £2.4m, it promises four motors, four-wheel drive, 1,972bhp, 0-62mph in well under three seconds, 0-124mph in six seconds, and a top speed of over 200mph.
– Aspark Owl. The all-electric Japanese hypercar has been a long time coming, but last year the 2,012bhp and 1,475lb ft monster finally entered production. Limited-run production, we hasten to add, with a total of 50 set to be built,
– Lucid Air Dream Edition P. Lucid doesn’t just want to take on Tesla, either – it’s got the Audi A8, BMW 7 Series and Merc S-Class in its sights too. In other words, it means business – and based on our first taster last month, said manufacturers should be very worried indeed.
– Tesla Roadster. A top speed somewhere above 250mph, courtesy of three electric motors. Oh, and a reported 620-mile range, thanks to a hefty 200kWh battery. But the original sale date of 2020 came and went, when it was pushed back to 2021. And with the arrival of 2021, it was then pushed back to 2022. So you can probably guess what happened earlier this year…
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Tesla recently updated the Model Y Standard Range and the 0-60 time slowed by 1.5 seconds. There was a time when Tesla fans dismissed any other EV because they weren’t quick enough, but when making a pucharsing decision, how important do you personally rate performance.
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL