Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 15th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER PAUL GRIFFIN. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
EPA DOCUMENTS REVEAL MORE SPECS ON THE 2022 GMC HUMMER EV PICKUP | CAR & DRIVER
– General Motors submitted a preliminary test document to the EPA revealing a few interesting specs on the 2022 GMC Hummer EV Edition 1 pickup.
– The new electric truck will go 329 miles on a single charge with 212.7 kWh of usable energy and achieve 47 MPGe combined, according to GM’s test data.
– The Hummer is as heavy as 9063 pounds, and the big battery alone weighs 2923 pounds
– General Motors claimed that the electric pickup would travel 350 miles on a single charge of its 200.0-kWh Ultium battery
– According to the EPA filings, the Hummer will achieve a 329-mile EPA combined range, consuming electricity at 47 MPGe EPA combined, some 33 percent less than the Rivian’s 70-MPGe rating.
– Obviously weight is a huge factor, and we now know a few more details about that, too. The big battery pack alone weighs 2923 pounds, almost as much as an entire Honda Civic. GMC reports in the EPA document a curb weight of 9063 pounds, which is nearly 2000 pounds heavier than the Rivian R1T Launch Edition we just tested.
– The data also shows a battery capacity of 617 amp-hours. Multiplied by its 400-volt operating voltage, that yields 246.8 kWh, which should equate with the double-stacked pack’s gross capacity. That would mean its usable capacity is 86 percent of the total
– GMC says that this test is the final certification for the Hummer’s 2022 model year.
– Cheaper models will arrive in the next few years, including the dual-motor base model in 2024.
Original Source : https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39049358/2022-gmc-hummer-ev-pickup-epa-specs/
NETHERLANDS: TESLA OPENED ALL SUPERCHARGERS TO NON-TESLA EVS | INSIDEEVS
– Tesla announced that all of its Supercharging stations in the Netherlands are open for use by non-Tesla electric vehicles
– The Netherlands is actually the first country where the company launched the Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot on November 1, 2021 (10 stations) and the first where the full opening happened – about three and a half months later, on February 14, 2022. EV drivers will be able to use about 35 Tesla Supercharging stations in the country (at least several more are planned for 2022).
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/567601/all-superchargers-netherlands-non-tesla
LEAKED DOCUMENT SHARES A GLIMPSE INTO TESLA’S CURRENT 4680 PRODUCTION YIELDS – DRIVE TESLA
– Tesla has been working hard at perfecting the production process of their new 4680 battery cells at their facility on Kato Road.
– Thanks to a leaked document we have our first glimpse inside the walls of the Kato Rd facility to see how their production processes are progressing.
The document was shared on the TMC forums by member Oliver’s MX, who says it came from a relative who works at the facility, and shows the 4860 production yields for Kato Road on January 22, 2022.
– 13 of the 14 machines had very good production yields with the majority of each bar being “green” and above 90%.
– On the right side of the document, we see the list of defects which caused batteries to be “bad.”
The leading cause at 1.4% was “Flap folding in – Cathode”, followed closely by “Single Wind Cut Position Recovery – Cathode” at 1.2%.
– If accurate, this one day of production would be enough to build about 10 Model Ys.
– While that number does seem low, Oliver was also told by his relative that Tesla has approximately 1,000,000 good cells stockpiled to support the production ramp of Giga Texas. This would be enough for about 1,666 Model Ys.
Original Source : https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/leaked-document-shares-a-glimpse-into-teslas-current-4680-production-yields
FISKER OPENS RESERVATIONS FOR SECOND EV | ELECTREK
– As Fisker Inc. continues to work toward start of production of its flagship Ocean EV, it has begun taking reservations for its second model, the PEAR – a compact, five-passenger “urban EV.” With the opening of reservations, Fisker is also claiming the PEAR will start at an MSRP below $30,000 in the US, and that’s before any incentives – a price point few automakers have been able to deliver.
– $250 down secures your spot in line for what Fisker is describing as an urban EV. The press release elaborates:
– The all-electric Fisker PEAR blends sustainability, technology, and design into a digitallyconnected, compact, five-passenger urban EV. Featuring intuitive controls, sporty driving, cleverstorage, and a focus on industry firsts, the Fisker PEAR will start at $29,900 before taxes andincentives in the US. Fisker’s first vehicle, the all-electric Fisker Ocean SUV, will start productionin November 2022.
– The current production plan is to produce the PEAR in Ohio with Foxconn, with the anticipated output of 250,000 units a year.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2022/02/15/fisker-opens-reservations-for-second-ev-the-pear-starting-below-30k-before-taxes-or-incentives/
CHEVY BOLT EV, BOLT EUV FIRE INVESTIGATION CLOSED | GM AUTHORITY
– A National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) investigation into fires related to a manufacturing defect in the Chevy Bolt EV and Chevy Bolt EUV battery packs has now been closed.
– According to a recent report from Car Complaints, the federal agency said that although the investigation is now closed, it “reserves the right to take additional action if warranted by future circumstances.”
– The investigation was first opened in October of 2020 after reports that units of the Chevy Bolt EV and Chevy Bolt EUV had caught fire while charging or when the vehicles were towards the end of the battery charging cycle. General Motors initially issued a recall in November of 2020 that included software to address the issue, as well as installation of a replacement battery, if needed.
– It’s estimated that the recall will cost upwards of $2 billion, with battery provider LG Energy Solution covering the majority of the recall costs.
– The new replacement batteries will be covered by an 8-year / 100,000-mile warranty in the U.S., as well as an 8-year / 160,000-km warranty in Canada.
Original Source : https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/02/chevy-bolt-ev-bolt-euv-fire-investigation-closed/
VOLTA IS INSTALLING 1,000 EV FAST-CHARGING STATIONS AT WALGREENS LOCATIONS | ENGADGET
– More electric vehicle drivers will soon be able to charge their car’s battery when they stop by the drugstore. EV charging network Volta is bringing another 1,000 DC fast-charging stalls to 500 Walgreens locations.
– The pair started working together in 2019 and there are currently Volta stations at 49 Walgreens stores.
Original Source : https://www.engadget.com/volta-walgreens-ev-fast-charging-stations-115559815.html
VOLTA INDUSTRIES, INC. – VOLTA ANNOUNCES COLLABORATION EXPANSION WITH WALGREENS
– With high-impact, large-format digital screens, Volta stations also double as an innovative, digital out-of-home advertising opportunity, allowing brands to reach shoppers seconds before they enter a store to make a purchase – simultaneously driving measurable business results and environmental impact. This unique functionality will be leveraged by Walgreens Advertising Group.
Original Source : https://investors.voltacharging.com/news/news-details/2022/Volta-Announces-Collaboration-Expansion-with-Walgreens/default.aspx
DRIVE ELECTRIC NL AWARDED $295K GRANT TO OPEN ELECTRIC VEHICLE RESOURCE CENTRE | CBC NEWS
– An electric vehicle organization has been awarded a $295,000 grant from the federal government to establish a resource centre to encourage more drivers in Newfoundland and Labrador to go electric.
– Jon Seary, co-founder of Drive Electric NL, says the money is part of a Natural Resources Canada program to raise the awareness of zero-emission vehicles nationwide.
– Seary said the resource centre is slated to open in April and will work to get people more familiar with driving a car that doesn’t run on gasoline. He said that will include a significant online presence, as well as a road show across the province.
– Seary said there will also be meet-and-greet opportunities with people who already own electric vehicles. He said Drive Electric NL has found that a simple conversation with an owner is often more effective than any other method to increase EV awareness.
Original Source : https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/electric-vehicle-resource-centre-nl-1.6349809
CAR INDUSTRY CALLS FOR ELECTRIC CHARGE WATCHDOG | BBC NEWS
– The UK car industry has called for a watchdog to oversee electric car charging prices and the availability of charge points.
– It said a regulator is needed to monitor the market.
– The SMMT called on the government to set up a new regulator called “Ofcharge” – the Office of Charging – to monitor the market. Public charging points “remain critical to consumer confidence and are still relied upon by many commercial fleets, as well as the third of British households that do not have designated off-street parking,” the SMMT added.
Original Source : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60394567
STUDY: HYDROGEN FUEL-CELL OPPORTUNITY WINDOW HAS PASSED FOR CARS | GREEN CAR REPORTS
– The moment for hydrogen fuel-cell passenger cars to play a major fuel in transportation has passed, and the window of opportunity is closing for heavy-duty trucks as well, according to a new study published as “comment” in Nature Electronics
– The study’s author, from Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research and claiming to be free of competing interests, argues that improvements to the range and charging capability of battery-electric vehicles have cancelled out the main selling points of fuel-cell vehicles—long range and quick refueling times. Policymakers should now focus all efforts on promoting EVs, he argues.
– Even in trucking, where the need for large battery packs has been a limiting factor, battery-electric vehicles outnumber fuel-cell vehicles, the study said. EV range may still be too limited for long-haul trucking, however, potentially providing a niche for fuel cells, according to the study.
– “Policymakers and industry need to decide quickly whether the fuel cell electric truck niche is large enough to sustain further hydrogen technology development, or whether it is time to cut their losses and to focus efforts elsewhere,” the paper concluded.
– It’s not all bad news for hydrogen, though. The authors believe fuel cells could have a big future in aviation, shipping, and steel-making. Just not cars and trucks.
Original Source : https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1135053_study-hydrogen-fuel-cell-opportunity-window-has-passed-for-cars-diminished-for-trucks
FAKE MANUAL GEARBOXES PATENTED FOR TOYOTA ELECTRIC CARS
– The move to electric cars looks set to kill off the manual transmission for good. EVs don’t have a gearbox as such so there’s no need to shift gears. But Toyota seems to be developing a system that will #savethemanuals, according to a recent patent filing.
– Among the eight patent applications are simulated clutch pedal and gear shift functions, plus the ability to spread an EV’s torque curve more like what you’d find in an ICE car with a manual gearbox. There’d be less of the breathless acceleration that you get in some electric cars like the Porsche Taycan and Tesla Model S, but potentially more involvement for the driver.
– As per the images, Toyota would have a traditional-looking dial with a display showing which fake gear you’re in.
It’s thought that drivers will be able to choose between using the clutch pedal and the gear lever, just using the lever or having full automation. Not needing to use the clutch will be beneficial in traffic or when parking, Toyota says.
Original Source : https://www.carthrottle.com/post/fake-manual-gearboxes-patented-for-toyota-electric-cars/
EV CHARGERS FOR V2G AND V2H TO ARRIVE IN AUSTRALIA WITHIN WEEKS, AFTER LONG DELAYS – ABC NEWS
– A new kind of charger that allows an electric vehicle (EV) to be used as a giant home battery is close to going on sale in Australia, with the first commercial shipment to arrive within weeks.
– Unlike standard one-way EV chargers, bidirectional chargers can also discharge energy from an EV
– This may sound simple, but bringing them to Australia has proven difficult.For years, a mix of regulatory and engineering hurdles have repeatedly pushed back the technology’s rollout date.
– Now it appears the date is almost here, with Melbourne-based EV charging company JET Charge expecting a delivery this month, and a second in April.
– Bidirectional chargers will cost about $10,000, or a bit less than a standard home battery.
– JET Charge chief executive officer Tim Washington expects that price will fall by more than half within a few years, as they become more common.
– The process of getting the Spanish-made bidirectional charger certified in Australia was a long and winding one.First, it had to be certified to Australian safety standards. This required a hardware tweak, which meant the charger had to be re-certified with the association that oversees the plug standard.
– The Clean Energy Council (CEC) maintains a database of smart inverters, which is used by distribution networks and other installers as a quick way to determine what’s been certified as safe.But the CEC is still deliberating over how to classify the charger and hasn’t yet added it to the database, Mr Washington said.
Original Source : https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2022-02-14/electric-vehicle-first-ev-chargers-v2g-v2h-to-arrive-australia/100811130
TESLA SAYS NEW GAS GENERATORS “NO LONGER RATIONAL” | RENEWECONOMY
– Tesla has dismissed the idea of building new gas “peaking plants” to support renewables as “no longer rational”, and has urged the market operator to upgrade its forecasts for battery storage given they are smarter, faster and cheaper.
– In a submission to the Australian Energy Operator’s draft 2022 Integrated System Plan, Tesla describes batteries as the new “clean peaker”, outlining their superior flexibility, their multiple grid service options, and their ability to deliver longer duration storage.
– Tesla is dismayed by AEMO’s forecasts of another 9GW of gas peaking plants. “We disagree with this result,” it says, pointing to plunging costs that means battery storage is both faster and significantly cheaper than fossil fuel alternatives.
– Its position is in direct contrast to the federal government and its so called “gas led recovery”
– Tesla says battery technology has advanced to the point where it can provide faster response for a much lower cost.
Original Source : https://reneweconomy.com.au/tesla-says-new-gas-generators-no-longer-rational-batteries-are-smarter-and-cheaper/
VIRTUAL POWER PLANT BY EV.ENERGY UTILISES ONLY BEVS | ELECTRIVE.COM
– Innovate UK has granted funding to the software provider ev.energy to scale their first Virtual Power Plant (VPP) using only electric vehicles. The funding comes after the startup successfully demonstrated the concept by working with the British utility UK Power Networks.
– The Virtual Power Plant manages EV charging in line with demands from grid operators, essentially a smart V2G use case. In concrete terms, ev.energy and UK Power Networks
– The VPP automatically responded to signals sent by the grid operator by pausing EV charging in areas of Norfolk and Essex where the grid was under strain.
– In return for helping to balance the grid, EV drivers using ev.energy’s smart-charging algorithm earn reward points worth up to £60 per year in retail vouchers or can choose to offset their carbon emissions from charging.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/02/14/virtual-power-plant-by-ev-energy-utilises-only-electric-vehicles/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Tesla recently updated the Model Y Standard Range and the 0-60 time slowed by 1.5 seconds. There was a time when Tesla fans dismissed any other EV because they weren’t quick enough, but when making a pucharsing decision, how important do you personally rate performance.
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL