Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 14th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON EXECUTIVE PRODUCER PETER RYNER. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
THERE WASN’T A SINGLE TESLA AD DURING THE SUPER BOWL. HERE’S WHY – CNN
– If you were to judge the US auto market by this year’s Super Bowl ads, you’d think virtually all the cars for sale in America today are electric vehicles made by the world’s long-established automakers. And you never would have heard of Tesla, the world’s largest EV maker.
– Commercials during the game reportedly cost $7 million for 30 seconds, and automakers bought a total of nearly 10 minutes of those time slots, not counting pre- and postgame ads. Those commercial minutes were almost all about EVs.
– But now, Tesla is facing more competition than ever for buyers looking to go electric. Established automakers and other upstarts have dozens of new EV models in their pipelines, some of which are already for sale. So some experts think Tesla may have to change its no-ads policy eventually.
– The car industry has incredibly deep pockets for ad spending and spends more on advertisements than any other product group.
– Automakers invested $4 billion in television ads in the first nine months of 2021, according to Kantar.
– Auto dealers spent another $625 million in that same period of 2021.
– Many of the cars advertised during the Super Bowl are not yet available to US buyers — and won’t be for months or even years.
Original Source : https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/14/business/super-bowl-ev-ads/index.html
EV-MAKER POLESTAR’S AD RIBBING MUSK MOST POPULAR AT SUPER BOWL | REUTERS
– Leonardo DiCaprio-backed Polestar’s ad taking a potshot at rivals Tesla (TSLA.O) and Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) topped the list of the most popular commercials during Super Bowl LVI, new data on Monday showed.
– The 30-second ad by the electric-car maker performed roughly 23 times better than other commercials aired during the game, according to consumer search data firm EDO, with its message of “no epic voiceovers,” “no empty promises,” and “no hidden agendas” aiming squarely at the idea of conquering Mars as well as the Volkswagen Dieselgate.
– Five of the top 20 Super Bowl commercials that were the most searched online during and after the event were EV-focused and were made by Polestar, Kia, Nissan, Chevrolet and BMW, EDO said, highlighting the rising popularity of battery-powered vehicles in the U.S. market.
US TO INVEST ALMOST $3 BILLION IN BATTERY SUPPLY CHAIN – ELECTRIVE.COM
– The US Department of Energy has announced funding of 2.91 billion dollars to develop a national battery supply chain – including for electric vehicles. This makes another e-mobility funding from the infrastructure bill concrete.
– to support production facilities for battery materials, battery cells and packs, recycling facilities, and second-life applications for batteries
– the government of US President Joe Biden wants to ensure “that the United States can produce batteries and the materials they contain to increase economic competitiveness, energy independence and national security”.
AMPRIUS SHIPS FIRST BATCH OF “WORLD’S HIGHEST DENSITY” BATTERIES | NEWATLAS.COM
– Californian company Amprius has shipped the first batch of what it claims are the most energy-dense lithium batteries available today. These silicon anode cells hold 73 percent more energy than Tesla’s Model 3 cells by weight, and they take up 37 percent less volume.
– Tesla’s current Model 3 cells serve as a state-of-the-art comparison, and hold around 260 Wh/kg and 730 Wh/l, according to Enpower. The new Amprius cells are a significant step up, both in specific energy and energy density, holding 450 Wh/kg and 1,150 Wh/l – and the company says that the undisclosed number of cells just delivered to “an industry leader of a new generation of High-Altitude Pseudo Satellites”
– The company says the silicon nanowires are rooted right into the substrate of the anode, so conductivity (and thus power) is high. It says the cell cycle life is “excellent” and “continually improving,” although it doesn’t put any numbers on it, and it also says the anode is the only part of the battery that changes; the rest can be produced using existing manufacturing methods and components.
Original Source : https://newatlas.com/energy/amprius-450-wh-kg-battery/
NEW MERCEDES ESPRINTER ELECTRIC VAN TO ENTER PRODUCTION IN 2023 | DRIVINGELECTRIC
– Mercedes is already preparing its response to Ford E-Transit, with the launch of the next-generation eSprinter electric van expected in 2023. The German maker has now released images of a prototype model undergoing extreme cold-weather testing.
– close to the Arctic Circle where temperatures can reach as low as minus 30 degrees celsius. The purpose of this gruelling phase of development is to evaluate how the van’s various components, such as its powertrain and charging system, cope with the icy conditions.
– Mercedes did reveal that – depending on configuration – this next-generation model will boast more than double the range of the current van (below), which can cover up to 96 miles on a charge.
– Production of the next-generation eSprinter is set to begin in the second half of 2023 in South Carolina, USA, followed later by two plants in Germany.
DELOREAN DMC WILL RETURN IN 2022 AS LUXURY ELECTRIC SPORTS CAR | INSIDEEVS
– the company with official rights to the DeLorean name aims to launch an all-electric DeLorean DMC
– former British engineer Stephen Wynne acquired the rights to the DeLorean name way back in 1995. The “new” DeLorean company is considered the world’s largest source for DeLorean parts and repairs.
– Now, DeLorean Motor Company has teased the modernized, fully electric DMC in a recent tweet.
– The reimagined DMC will be called the DeLorean EVolved. All we really know at this point is that it will be a luxury sports car featuring an electric powertrain.
– Rumors suggest that Italdesign may be collaborating with DeLorean Motor Company on the upcoming EV.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/567362/delorean-electric-sport-car-2022/
REPORT CLAIMS RAM 1500 EV PICKUP WILL COME WITH A RANGE EXTENDER – FUTURECAR.COM
– Ram is well behind the ball on the all-electric front. The GMC Hummer EV, Ford F-150 Lightning, Chevrolet Silverado EV, and Rivian R1T are all expected to be on sale well before the Ram 1500 EV. We’ve seen all of these vehicles, in one form or another, while Ram is still busy drawing concepts. By the time the Ram 1500 EV arrives in 2024, some options will have a three-year head start. It’s going to need a few tricks up its sleeve if it wants to be taken seriously.
– The first thing Ram came out with is called RamRevolution.com.
– The automaker is taking input on everything from the way the pickup truck should look to features. The new program was accompanied by a few teaser images of what the electric pickup truck could look like.
– the Ram 1500 EV would be available with a “class shattering” range extender version. The CEO didn’t go into details on what a range extender would look like or mean. In other vehicles, a range extender is a small onboard engine that uses gasoline or fuel to charge the battery.
BMW TAKES CONTROL OF CHINESE JV AFTER FOREIGN OWNERSHIP CAP LIFTED – GLOBAL TIMES
– German carmaker BMW AG has received a business license from Chinese regulators to raise its stake in its Chinese joint venture (JV) with Brilliance China Automotive Holdings to 75 percent from 50 percent, the global automaker said in a statement over the weekend.
– The move will make BMW Brilliance Automotive the first JV producer of internal combustion vehicles with foreign ownership exceeding 50 percent in China after Chinese authorities scrapped restrictions on foreign investment in the sector starting from the beginning of this year.
Original Source : https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202202/1252070.shtml
NIO’S & TESLA GET PRIORITY TREATMENT BY BEIJING – NOTEBOOKCHECK.NET
– NIO will be starting the first deliveries of its groundbreaking ET7 performance sedan with 600+ miles of range in Q4 and the Beijing municipality has prioritized the factory buildout of its 150kWh semi-solid state battery maker.
– Tesla’s new design center is listed among the other priority projects of the local government, too.
– The 2022 Beijing Municipal Government Work Report has listed several business projects that it will be prioritizing this year, both financially, and by creating a favorable regulatory framework.
– As for Tesla’s new design center in the Chinese capital, it will be tasked with concocting and developing electric vehicles for both the domestic and international markets as part of Tesla’s local investment pledges when it was allowed to operate and manufacture in China.
HERE’S HOW TESLA OWNERS WILL BE ABLE TO USE ONROUTE’S NEW CHADEMO EV CHARGERS – DRIVE TESLA
– ONroute announced last year plans to install 69 Ivy fast chargers at their rest stops across Ontario.
The EV chargers will feature both CCS and CHAdeMO connectors, but they also announced Tesla owners will be able to plug in.
– Ivy confirmed with Drive Tesla that they will be using built-in CHAdeMO adapters, which is as far as we know is a world first. (Update – we forgot about Revel in New York
– one of the two connectors will be a dedicated Tesla charger, with the CHAdeMO adapter secured at all times with what looks to be a sturdy lock to prevent tampering or theft.
CHINA’S JAN WHOLESALE SALES OF PASSENGER NEVS AT 412,000 UNITS, UP 140% YEAR-ON-YEAR – CNEVPOST
– China’s wholesale sales of new energy passenger vehicles were 412,000 units in January, up 141.4 percent year-on-year and down 18.5 percent from December, the China Passenger Car Association (CPCA) said in a report released today.
– This includes 333,000 BEVs (battery electric vehicles) as well as 79,000 PHEVs (plug-in hybrids), accounting for 80.8 percent and 19.2 percent, respectively.
– Retail sales of new energy passenger vehicles in China rose 132.0 percent to 347,000 units in January
– NEVs exported from China in January were 52,000 units, well above the less than 8,000 units exported last December.
Tesla exported 40,499 China-made vehicles in January, SAIC Passenger Vehicle exported 4,814 NEVs and Dongfeng eGT exported 4,267 vehicles.
– BYD’s wholesale sales in January were 93,101 units, Tesla China with 59,845 units, SAIC-GM-Wuling with 40,007 units, and Chery with 21,179 units.
CHINESE COMPANIES DEVELOPING CYLINDRICAL EV BATTERIES – BUSINESSKOREA
– An increasing number of Chinese companies are entering the cylindrical battery market, which has been led by South Korean and Japanese EV battery manufacturers.
– CATL, EVE and CBAK are planning to start the mass production of 4680 cylindrical batteries this year. EVE and CBAK are currently building facilities in order to produce the NCM batteries with a diameter of 46 mm and a length of 80 mm.
– Panasonic, LG Energy Solution and Samsung SDI are also preparing to manufacture the batteries.
– Chinese companies have concentrated on LFP batteries so far. However, they are shifting their focus towards cylindrical batteries with a number of automakers and electric vehicle startups, including Tesla, interested in 4680 batteries.
Original Source : http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Tesla recently updated the Model Y Standard Range and the 0-60 time slowed by 1.5 seconds. There was a time when Tesla fans dismissed any other EV because they weren’t quick enough, but when making a pucharsing decision, how important do you personally rate performance.
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK