Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Sunday 13th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER ROB HAMMOND. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
VOLVO SALES WILL BE 10 PER CENT ELECTRIC CARS IN 2022 | AUTO EXPRESS
– Volvo expects one in 10 of the cars it sells in 2022 to be pure electric, almost doubling the percentage share of zero-emissions vehicles it sold in the final quarter of last year.
– The Swedish brand’s round-up of financial results revealed that amid a record year for revenue, 34 per cent of Volvo’s sales in Q4 2021 were of chargeable vehicles – and six per cent were cars without a combustion engine altogether.
– Volvo’s outgoing CEO Hakan Samuelsson said the firm is “on track” to be fully electric by 2030, despite the still-modest proportion of EV sales.
FORDPASS MOBILE APP UPDATE HINTS AT NEW TESLA SUMMON-LIKE FEATURES | THE VERGE
– Ford’s remote vehicle app FordPass was updated a week ago, and Electrek reports that it contains a set of image files hinting at a possible driverless parking assistant feature.
– The images have filenames beginning with “freeDriveBehind” and “freeDriveForward,” which show stencil drawings of what looks like an overhead view of a Ford F-150 Lighting with arrows pointing from the rear-back and the front-forward, respectively.
– Associated images included also show the electric truck’s front view in between two Mustang Mach-Es while a checkbox displays on an iPhone, which is a fairly apt representation of a driver-free parking function.
– Hyundai most recently came out with such a feature using just the key fob called Smart Park (aka Smaht Park).
NEW 2022 SKODA ENYAQ COUPÉ IV VRS ON SALE FROM £51,885 | AUTOCAR
– Skoda has revealed pricing and specification details for the new Enyaq Coupé iV vRS, the first electric car from the Czech firm to gain a performance variant.
– Prices start from £51,885 and order books open on 17 February, with the first customer deliveries due for the end of July this year.
– Similar to the closely related Volkswagen ID 5 GTX, the Enyaq Coupé vRS uses two electric motors – one on each axle – to offer 295bhp and 338lb ft for 0-62mph in 6.5sec and a top speed of 111mph, compared with 99mph for the standard versions.
– It’s equipped exclusively with a 77kWh battery, the largest unit offered with the Volkswagen Group’s MEB architecture, offering a range of 309 miles. The identically powered and similarly shaped ID 5 GTX, meanwhile, manages 296 miles per charge.
– Skoda says the sporty vRS can be charged at rates of up to 135kW
THE FORD F-150 LIGHTNING HAULS MORE THAN THE CHEVY SILVERADO EV | MUSCLE CARS AND TRUCKS
– he Ford F-150 Lightning with the larger 131-kWh battery pack weighs less than one of its biggest rivals, the Rivian R1T, when equipped with its highest-capacity battery pack. The total curb weight of the F-150 Lightning is a not-unreasonable 6,590 pounds, making it an absolute featherweight next to the 9,046-pound GMC Hummer EV
– That’s according to Ford’s eSourceBook for the F-150 Lightning, which was posted by the folks at the F150gen14 forum.
– the Rivian R1T’s biggest battery pack is 180 kWh to the Lightning’s 131 kWh. Still, the Ford F-150 Lightning’s relatively low curb weight (for a battery-electric pickup) should have a positive impact in a number of areas, like its acceleration, braking, and handling.
– The base F-150 Lightning’s 2,000-pound payload rating is nothing to sneeze at, and it’s nearly 54 percent more than the Silverado EV RST
- Original Source : https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/ford-f-150-lightning-weighs-less-than-a-rivian-hauls-more-than-a-silverado-ev/
XPENG SAID TO START G9 PRE-SALES IN APRIL, FIRST DELIVERIES IN AUG AT EARLIEST – CNEVPOST
– XPeng will open pre-sales for its flagship SUV G9 at the 2022 Beijing Auto Show in April and first deliveries will begin as early as the end of August, according to a local media report.
– The XPeng G9, the fourth model of XPeng and the first to be released after its brand refresh, was unveiled on November 19 last year during the Guangzhou Auto Show. The upcoming Beijing Auto Show will be held from April 21 to 30.
– When XPeng announced the G9, it unveiled only a portion of the model’s specifications, including an 800-volt high-voltage SiC electric drive system and a range of more than 200 kilometers on a five-minute charge.
XPENG EXPANDS ITS PRESENCE IN EUROPE TO TWO NEW COUNTRIES | INSIDEEVS
– XPeng, a Chinese EV start-up, officially announced an expansion of its presence in Europe to two new countries – Sweden and the Netherlands – in the first quarter of 2022. The company was already present in Norway (since 2020), which is an usual starting point for the European EV market for many manufacturers.
– The local partners for agency retail collaboration were just announced: Emil Frey in the Netherlands Bilia in Sweden
– The first XPeng retail experience store in the Netherlands will be opened in March 2022.
– In Sweden, the first retail experience store will be opened this week in Stockholm. Bilia will take care of retail sales and service using its network of 58 dealers and 66 service centers in the country.
– The press release mentions also Denmark, as a fourth country, where “progress has been made… in building its marketing, sales, delivery and service framework”. It would be a natural thing to assume that it might be the next market in the pipeline.
RARE GM EV1 ELECTRIC CAR SPOTTED AT AUSTRALIAN AUTO MUSEUM | THEDRIVEN
– A long-forgotten but significant piece of automotive history has been unearthed at a car museum in Victoria: a GM EV1, one of a very rare breed of electric vehicles.
– The EV1 was made by General Motors from 1996 to 1999 and leased in a number of US states before the carmaker decided to crush most of the 1,100 or so vehicles made.
– It is understood that the few EV1s that remain were gutted and donated to museums and universities in the US – except at least one, it turns out.
– The EV1 in question came to our attention via Jason Panosh, a member of an electric vehicle Facebook group. He says he saw it in the Museum of Vehicle Evolution (MOVE) in Shepparton, Victoria, and that he was told by a member of staff it had been brought to Australia by the now-defunct Holden.
WATCH THE AUDI RS Q E-TRON TESTED ON SNOW AND ICE | HOTCARS
– The RS Q e-tron is an off-road competitive racing car that combines an EV and gas powertrain to achieve incredible off-road capabilities. Audi has had recent success with the RS Q e-tron at the Dakar Rally race with four stage wins and 14 podium results, so their formula seems to be working.
– n the YouTube video by Audi, famous drifter Ken Block takes the RS Q e-tron to the ice and snow to see what it can do. Now that Ken Block has joined Audi, we see how he can put his skills to the test in Audi’s e-tron lineup.
RALLYE DAKAR: THE HIGH-VOLTAGE BATTERY IN THE AUDI RS Q E-TRON | AUDI MEDIACENTER
– Due to the short project development time, Audi relied on proven cell technology. The capacity of the high-voltage battery is 52 kWh and is therefore sufficient for the maximum expected requirements on each leg of the rally. The weight of the high-voltage battery including the cooling medium is around 370 kilograms.
– The engineers and electronic technicians have programmed algorithms to keep the State of Charge (SoC), i.e. the charge level, within defined ranges depending on the energy demand. Energy extraction and battery recharging are always in balance over defined distances. If, for example, a difficult dune passage with high driving resistance requires maximum energy for a short time, the state of charge drops within a controlled range
– The drive power of the engine-generator units on the front and rear axles is limited to a maximum of 288 kW in total under the regulations. However, the energy converter can only provide a maximum charging power of 220 kW. In extreme cases, therefore, consumption is briefly higher than energy generation.
2024 PORSCHE MACAN EV SPY SHOTS AND VIDEO | MOTORAUTHORITY
– Prototypes for Porsche’s electric Macan have been spotted again, revealing a number of new design elements bound for the production model.
– It’s due in 2023, meaning we’ll likely see it arrive as a 2024 model here in the U.S.
– the electric Macan will arrive later than a related Audi to be called the Q6 E-Tron, which is confirmed to arrive later this year. The vehicles will ride on a new PPE (Premium Platform Electric) modular platform developed by Porsche in partnership with Audi. Versions of the platform will underpin multiple models across the Volkswagen Group.
– According to our photographer, a small rear spoiler would also extend from the tailgate at speeds of more than 30 mph. And don’t be fooled by the exhaust tips
ELECTRIC CARS COMPARED BY PRICE PER MILE OF EPA RANGE | INSIDEEVS
– the Chevrolet Bolt EV remains the leader of the price per mile of EPA range rank (at $124/mile) and, at the same time, is basically not available
– The second highest Hyundai Kona Electric ($138/mile) is the top one when including the federal tax credit (at $107/mile). However, this model is not widely available nationwide.
– to focus on models available more widely/nationwide, actually the Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD would be the number one at $146/mile (no federal tax credit eligible though), while the Nissan LEAF e+ S would be number one at $107/mile after including the federal tax credit.
– An interesting thing is that the all-new Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE RWD (77.4 kWh) is not far behind Tesla and Nissan, at $148/mile ($123/mile including federal tax credit).
– The worst result belongs to Porsche Taycan/Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo and Audi e-tron GT as their EPA range ratings are exceptionally low compared to most real-world tests. They are also quite expensive.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/566438/bev-price-per-range-20220209
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
If you could do any job in the EV industry what would it be?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL