Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 11th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER ROB HAMMOND. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
BIDEN ADMINISTRATION OUTLINES PLAN TO BUILD MORE E.V. CHARGERS | THE NEW YORK TIMES
– The Biden administration said on Thursday that it would require states to submit proposals to line highways with electric vehicle chargers, part of a $5 billion plan to fill a gap in the infrastructure needed to support booming sales of battery-powered cars.
– The administration outlined a relatively speedy timetable for deploying an initial instalment of $615 million. All 50 states, as well as Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico, would be required to submit plans by the beginning of August explaining how they would install high-voltage chargers along or very close to major highways.
– The chargers must be no more than 50 miles apart, and states are encouraged to place them at rest areas or other places with food and other services. Federal officials must decide by the end of September whether to approve the states’ plans.
Original Source : https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/10/business/electric-vehicle-chargers-biden.html
BIDEN ANNOUNCES $5 BILLION OVER 5 YEARS FOR A NATIONWIDE EV CHARGING NETWORK | ELECTREK
– The White House also detailed more plans for the manufacturing of EV chargers:
Siemens will produce 1 million EV chargers by 2025
ABB, which currently manufactures transit bus chargers in the US, will expand its US EV charging manufacturing operations, including Level 2 and DC Fast Chargers, over the next five years.
Dunamis Clean Energy Partners, a Black- and woman-owned EV charger manufacturer based in Detroit, will manufacture Level 2 EV chargers and charging connectors in a new production facility in Detroit beginning this summer
The new Joint Office of Energy and Transportation also launched a new website this week, which can be found at DriveElectric.gov. There, officials can find links to technical assistance, data and tools for states, and careers.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2022/02/10/biden-announces-5-billion-over-5-years-for-a-nationwide-ev-charging-network/
DOT WILL PAY STATES TO BUILD OUT A MASSIVE EV CHARGING NETWORK | CAR AND DRIVER
– The creation of the joint office was first announced in December 2021, and the funds will come from the new National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Formula Program, established by the bipartisan infrastructure act signed into law by President Biden in November.
– All that money is to build charging infrastructure for battery-electric vehicles only—not for hydrogen or other alternative-energy vehicles, the DOT clarified. The DOT also said it expects many of the states to look to the private sector to build and maintain the charging stations.
– Over the past six years, 40 states have already created designated Alternative Fuel Corridors, much of which follows the interstate highway system, and that will be “the spine of the new national EV charging network,”
– Once these corridors are filled in, states will be asked to plan more “community based” charging that could reach more rural and underserved areas away from major highway systems.
– The government agency released a state-by-state list showing how it intends to distribute that initial $615 million in fiscal 2022. California can expect $56.7 million; Texas, $60.3 million; while Kansas gets $5.8 million and Wyoming gets $3.9 million.
– The feds want to emphasize that getting the charging stations from domestic suppliers is a priority in this program. For instance, the DOT noted, President Biden met this week with a charging station manufacturer, Tritium, that plans to break ground on a facility in Tennessee with six production lines producing 30,000 DC fast chargers per year. Bigger names are also getting in on the process—the White House said Siemens will expand its U.S. operations and plans to produce a million EV charging units by 2025.
Original Source : https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39027778/dot-ev-charging-network-details/
VALEO BUYS OUT SIEMENS FROM EV-COMPONENTS VENTURE | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS EUROPE
– Valeo agreed to acquire Siemens’ stake in their 5-year-old electric-car components venture to bolster its position in the rapidly expanding EV market.
– Valeo also announced a plan to develop a new electric motor with Renault. The companies said they would be the first to mass produce a 200-kilowatt electric motor without using rare earth materials, starting in 2027. Production of the motor for the automaker’s own needs will be based at Renault Group’s plant in Cléon, France.
– Valeo and Siemens joined forces on Valeo Siemens eAutomotive in 2016 to make e-motors, axles and powertrain electronics for plug-in hybrids and full-electric vehicles.
– By the end of 2022, more than 90 electric and plug-in hybrid models will be fitted with Valeo’s electric powertrain systems, motors, inverters or onboard chargers, the supplier said.
Original Source : https://europe.autonews.com/suppliers/valeo-buys-out-siemens-ev-components-venture
NEXT MINI COOPER ELECTRIC SPIED WINTER TESTING UNDER CAMOUFLAGE
– Mini is still testing the next-generation of its model under camouflage, trying to pass it off as one of its current models. However, we have actually seen leaked photos of the model set to arrive next year, and the front end certainly looks very similar to that of the refreshed current model, but the rear end is noticeably different.
– . The interior has also been given a major revamp, featuring a completely new and more minimalistic design.
– There’s currently no word on specs for the electric Mini, but it will surely get a bigger battery than what equips the current Cooper SE (one of the lowest-range EVs you can buy). With just 28.9 kWh usable capacity, it has a real world range of under 124 miles (200 km) – its EPA estimate of 114 miles is actually a bit conservative, and it should do a bit more.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/566563/mini-cooper-electric-spied-again/
286.2 GWH DEPLOYED ONTO ROADS IN PASSENGER EV BATTERIES IN 2021 | GREEN CAR CONGRESS
– A record 286.2 GWh of passenger EV battery capacity was deployed onto roads globally in 2021—a 113% increase over 2020—as battery-electric vehicle (BEV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) sales surged year-over-year, according to Adamas Intelligence.
– By cell supplier, China-based CATL took the lead in 2021 with a record 87.8 GWh deployed onto roads globally (31% of the global total)—a 204% increase over 2020 on the back of an ever-broadening book of supply agreements with Chinese, European and North American automakers.
– In 2021, 21% of all passenger EV battery capacity deployed onto roads by CATL went into MIC Tesla Model 3s and Model Ys, making Tesla the cell supplier’s widest channel to market for the calendar year.
Original Source : https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/02/20220210-adamas.html
‘LOGISTICS NIGHTMARE’ HITS BATTERY STORAGE ROLLOUT: ENPHASE CEO | S&P GLOBAL PLATTS
– Global shipping bottlenecks and soaring freight rates have created a “logistics nightmare” that is complicating the rollout of lithium-ion battery storage systems, according to Enphase Energy President and CEO
– California-based company, known primarily for its solar panel power electronics, has navigated the backups and markups to launch a new residential energy storage business during the coronavirus pandemic. That included a 53% quarterly jump in shipments of its battery storage package to roughly 100 MWh in the final three months of 2021.
– Other companies involved in renewable energy, energy storage and electric vehicles, including AES Clean Energy Development and Tesla, have also cited the logistical logjam as a major limitation.
Such difficulties come as homeowners and businesses look increasingly to battery storage to provide electricity when grid power fails, such as during more frequent wildfires in the western US. Grid operators like the California ISO and the Electric Reliability Council of Texas are also seeking fast-response resources to help transmission systems ride through heat waves and cold snaps.
– Enphase has seen some supply-chain headaches abate, including the availability of semiconductor chips and battery cells.
Original Source : https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/energy-transition/020922-logistics-nightmare-hits-battery-storage-rollout-enphase-ceo
RIGHT TO REPAIR BILL COULD ALLOW MORE INDEPENDENT SHOPS TO WORK ON EVS | GREEN CAR REPORTS
– A right to repair has been introduced in the House of Representatives, which could help more independent shops work on electric cars and hybrids.
Introduced by Representative Bobby L. Rush, the Right to Equitable and Professional Auto Industry Repair (REPAIR) Act (H.R. 6570) would grant vehicle owners and independent shops equal access to tools and data as automakers and their franchised dealerships, according to a press release from Rush’s office.
– A 2014 memorandum of understanding was supposed to give independent shops equal access to the software tools used by dealerships, but since then wireless transmission capability has created a new obstacle, a release from Rush’s office explained.
– Most new cars collect data from onboard sensors, which is increasingly getting transmitted directly to automakers. Limited access to vehicle data already affects repairs for 37% of vehicles in the United States, and that will likely increase as wireless data transmission continues to proliferate
– The bill calls for all tools, wirelessly transmitted diagnostic data, and onboard diagnostic and telematic systems needed for repairs to be made available to independent mechanics.
Original Source : https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1135015_right-to-repair-bill-independent-shops-work-evs-hybrids
FORD POACHES TESLA ENGINEERING CHIEF TO WORK ON ADVANCE EV DEVELOPMENT – TECHSTORY
– Ford hired Tesla Engineering Chief, Alan Clarke, to work on its advanced EV development. Clarke is a former Apple and Tesla tech executive whom Ford hired in September.
– According to his LinkedIn profile, Clarke worked in a number of roles at Tesla for more than 12 years. Most recently, he served as director of new programs engineering. He worked on numerous Tesla products, including the Model Y, the Roadster, and Model 3, among other projects.
– Last year Ford hired Doug Field, former vice president of special projects at Apple. Before working at Apple, Field, 56, was senior vice president of engineering at Tesla, where he led the development of the Model 3, according to his company biography provided by Ford. Field became chief advanced technology and embedded systems officer at Ford. This hiring was known to be a major coup for the automaker.
Original Source : https://techstory.in/ford-poaches-tesla-engineering-chief-to-work-on-advance-ev-development/
EU FUNDS NEW BLOCKCHAIN SUPPLY CHAIN TRACKING SCHEME | EDIE.NET
– A coalition of five organisations has announced plans to develop a certification scheme for the metals and minerals used to make electric vehicle (EV) magnets and batteries, after the EU confirmed funding.
– The system will enable data from rare earth supply chains to be recorded on a digital, tamper-proof ledger – thus enabling businesses to verify claims about tackling prevalent issues including pollution and human rights abuses.
– This will be particularly important as demand for these materials increases in line with the transition to EVs in the global north, which governments are keen to ensure does not result in unintended sustainability consequences overseas. Annual global demand for rare earths has doubled over the past 15 years and now stands at 125,000 tonnes. By some estimates, it will surpass 315,000 tonnes in 2030.
– the system will have the capability to trace both virgin raw material supply chains and supply chains for reclaimed and recycled materials.
Original Source : https://www.edie.net/news/8/EU-funds-new-blockchain-supply-chain-tracking-scheme-for-EV-battery-components/
TESLA’S GLOBAL HEADLAMPS PATENT IS A BIGGER WIN THAN IT MAY SEEM | AUTOEVOLUTION
– A “global headlamp“ patent Tesla filed with the World Intellectual Property Organization promises headlights that can adapt to requirements in different countries and jurisdictions. This will certainly reduce the cost of producing different types of headlamps, but Elon Musk says is the best thing since sliced bread and more.
– Tesla envisions a system that can automatically adapt the headlamps to different jurisdictions’ requirements by using software alone. This would allow Tesla to produce headlights to a uniform standard, thus reducing production costs. The light beam spread, power, and reach would then be modeled in software to comply with the local legislation.
– This feast would be accomplished using the headlamp controller and the LED matrix to generate the required beam, as opposed to the reflector’s geometry.
Original Source : https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-s-new-global-headlamps-patent-is-a-bigger-win-than-it-may-seem-promises-musk-180996.html?
TESLA FSD BETA CAUGHT HITTING SOMETHING ON CAMERA | JALOPNIK
– A Tesla using Full-Self Driving Beta, or as we call it Tesla’s Level 2 driver-assist system, ran into something, and it was caught on camera.
– YouTuber and FSD Beta Driver AI Addict posted a video that shows the car running into a bollard that is used to protect a bike lane.
– Somehow, hitting the bollard may not have been the worst driving maneuver in the nine minute video. You can see the car run a red light and drive into a tram lane among other downright dangerous maneuvers.
Original Source : https://jalopnik.com/tesla-fsd-beta-caught-hitting-something-on-camera-for-t-1848491265
TESLA FSD “SAFETY” VIDEO TAKES A SUDDEN TURN—TOWARDS A CYCLIST | MOTORTREND
– There are a lot of videos out there showing Tesla’s cars on the street in “Full Self Driving” mode making questionable or dangerous maneuvers. This 17-second highlight seen on Twitter featuring a Model 3 in FSD mode nearly swerve into a cyclist puts the unpredictable nature of the feature into fresh perspective.
– The two talk about how a Tesla Full Self driving (FSD) software update could improve safety for drivers, and then their Tesla Model 3 engaged in FSD mode swerves into a bike lane, nearly hitting a cyclist. It’s stark to witness the real danger of Tesla’s FSD program as its users simultaneously praise so-far unfounded safety benefits.
– In the video, we noted the Model 3 in FSD:Turn halfway into a street, head for the sidewalk, then stop in the intersection (at 10:13)Remain stationary when the traffic light turns green (at 12:49)Drive into a bus lane (22:07 to 22:15, again from 23:30 to 24:21, and again from 24:34 to 24:41)Weave (25:35)Drive straight from a right-turn-only lane (24:28)
Original Source : https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-fsd-driving-video-cyclist-danger/
TESLA RECALLS CARS TO FIX PEDESTRIAN WARNING SOUNDS BEING INTERRUPTED – THE VERGE
– Tesla announced a recall of about 579,000 vehicles that have the novelty “Boombox” external music software feature (via Bloomberg). The company plans to remedy the issue by removing the Boombox function via an over-the-air software update, the National Highway Traffic Administration said.
– The recall affects all 2020–2022 Tesla Model S, X, and Y vehicles and also some 2017–2022 Tesla Model 3s equipped with the pedestrian warning system, which is an external speaker emitting artificial noises designed to alert pedestrians and cyclists of the passing vehicle. The “Boombox” feature in these cars can obscure this safety feature.
Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/10/22927004/tesla-recall-model-3-x-y-boombox-nhtsa-pedestrian-warning
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
If you could do any job in the EV industry what would it be?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL